Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I had to check on that since he's fairly prolific and has worked for Marvel a lot and yeah, the only X-book he's written is Spider-Man and X-Factor in 1994 (which I've never even heard of until now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Endless Mike posted:

I had to check on that since he's fairly prolific and has worked for Marvel a lot and yeah, the only X-book he's written is Spider-Man and X-Factor in 1994 (which I've never even heard of until now).

Wait...there's a title called Spider-Man and X-Factor?

*checks* I'll be damned. And it's the good X-Factor team too.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
IIRC, if you bring a copy of that book to Busiek to sign it, he will usually apologize for it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

There's also the factor that, whether he was right to feel that way or not, Claremont felt that the X-Men were "his" at the time. He'd taken on the assignment 10 years previously when nobody wanted it, and helped turned it into a sales juggernaut. There were only 2 montly books, and he was writing both of them. X-Factor was effectively planned behind his back, and resurrected a character who he was told had to die and couldn't ever be brought back.

My favourite part of the whole thing is that Kurt Busiek, who I don't think has ever done any X-Men work, was the one who proposed the idea of Dark Phoenix being a clone of Jean.

Yeah, I mean I think he was totally justified in that. He wasn't the only person who contributed to making his run such a success - there were artists, co-creatives, editors - but he was the driving force behind turning what had previously been a failed relic from the Lee and Kirby era into one of the most popular comic books of all time. Like a good 70% of the most beloved parts of X-Men canon is stuff Claremont developed and established in that run, and a lot of it was from whole cloth.

Plus if you read the early issues of X-Factor, they're really, really bad and a blind sop to nostalgia. Early on Beast gets captured and plastic surgeried to look like his "classic", non-furry self, because the commitment to retconning things back to how they "had been" was that extreme. Luckily, that didn't stick.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Also Cyclops leaves his wife and baby in Alaska because his ex-girlfriend was no longer dead.

Cyclops was the worst.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

Why is the claw metal if the only way she got it was all the metal on Wolverine was ripped away and then he broke a claw?

Also why does she need a claw? She's a loving ninja who can become intangible at will, not the most powerful X-Man but I'd rather fight Gambit or Storm if we're in a closed room.

OK, fair point to Gambit, but Storm would probably just loving shank you. She kicked Cyclops' & Callisto's asses (the latter I think in a literal knife fight) without her powers as I recall.

Is she leading any teams at the moment?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

OK, fair point to Gambit, but Storm would probably just loving shank you. She kicked Cyclops' & Callisto's asses (the latter I think in a literal knife fight) without her powers as I recall.

Is she leading any teams at the moment?

Storm was in charge of the Jean Grey School mutants that became the X-Men Gold group, but she stepped down because she got a bit warmonger-ey with the Inhumans.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

amigolupus posted:

Based on how she keeps jumping from team to team these days, I'm not sure if Kitty is a complete flake, is trying badly to emulate Logan being in all teams at once, or is just badly written.

Wait, so the spikes were from her from her time as a brainwashed slave for the Sentinels? It's kind of weird she'd keep that for her costumes.

A basic part of Rachel's character that no one has mentioned is she'll wear something incredibly hosed up even if it offends or scares people if it is in service of Fashion.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

irlZaphod posted:

Also Cyclops leaves his wife and baby in Alaska because his ex-girlfriend was no longer dead.

Cyclops was the worst.

It was a crappy thing to do but context is king. He’s told something impossible that fucks him up emotionally six ways sideways, and has to go see what the hell is going on. He then gets pressured into leading the reunited team, saves a kid from a witchhunt, then Hank gets kidnapped and experimented on. Then they end up getting drawn into a first encounter with Apocalypse, then the truth comes out and he talks it out with Jean, before going back home and finding Maddie and Nate missing with zero leads to go on. He literally breaks down, hallucinates, rages against imaginary an Xavier and Jean, blows up his goddamn house and it’s only having Master Mold show up nearby that enables him to get his poo poo back together just in time for Warren’s ‘suicide’. Maddie doesn’t show up again until the X-Men save her from the Mauraders in San Francisco, then her and the X-Men are ‘killed’, and they don’t reunite again until she’s turned Manhatten into Hell.

That was a pretty intense couple of months and no, Scott didn’t handle it brilliantly but I’d defy any holier-than-thou schmuck to keep it together in the face of all that poo poo.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Cyclops could have gone home at any time. He spends way too long in the opening issues of X-Factor prevaricating like, "jeez, I should go back to my wife and newborn son who live alone in Alaska and who I haven't communicated with in weeks, but...Jean is here, and the guys want me to be a superhero again, so...". He has a whole thing where he doesn't even want to call his wife and delays doing it until it's too late.

I mean, I'm willing to chalk it up to editorial fiat making the whole thing into a mess and effectively having the result of assassinating Cyclops' character, but if you look at his actions objectively it's pretty hard to excuse him abandoning his family, even in the light of finding out that Jean was alive. Jean has a telephone. Madelyne had a newborn baby and didn't know where Scott was. That should trump everything, especially since Nathan was his kid too.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Like, the knot of retcons and fiat that is required to kick-start X-Factor effectively turns him into Deadbeat Dad Cyclops, and it's just not a good look.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Rick posted:

A basic part of Rachel's character that no one has mentioned is she'll wear something incredibly hosed up even if it offends or scares people if it is in service of Fashion.

Alright, I can respect that.

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, I mean I think he was totally justified in that. He wasn't the only person who contributed to making his run such a success - there were artists, co-creatives, editors - but he was the driving force behind turning what had previously been a failed relic from the Lee and Kirby era into one of the most popular comic books of all time. Like a good 70% of the most beloved parts of X-Men canon is stuff Claremont developed and established in that run, and a lot of it was from whole cloth.

Aren't the current X-Men comics kind of treading the water at the moment? Which writer do you guys think could be the next driving force for the X-Men line, and what direction would be good to explore?

I thought the hints of Mutant Culture in New X-Men was a step in the right direction, and I wonder who in editorial thought it was a good idea to stop that in favor of the stupid "No More Mutants" thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

Double-bladed lightsabers, I believe:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It was a knife fight in the comics.

Which belongs in the badass thread.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The crowd is in awe as Beta Ray Bill defeats the Babysitter Bandit from season 1 of the Simpsons.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That scene flipping rules. I love how Storm is actually an incredibly good hand-to-hand combatant and at some points in the run, it's suggested she may actually be more skilled than Wolverine, since he relies on his regeneration and claws to even the odds, while she spends a long time leading the X-Men with no powers at all.

The issue where she beats Cyclops in a duel without using her powers is similarly extremely good. Storm rules.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also the issues where she gets Most Dangerous Gamed by three superpowered WW2 veterans who hunt criminals for sport, while lugging around an injured and unco-operative girl, and still defeats them on their own turf. Classic Storm just completely rules. Modern stories should play up her martial and survival skills a little more.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
My favourite part of that is when the speedster is all "whatcha doing?" to his pal, who just barely saved him from decapitating himself running into a neck-high piece of wire Storm set up earlier. From the Callisto knife fight onwards, Storm just takes zero poo poo from anyone and it's glorious.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Storm just straight up stabs Callisto in the heart, only the Sewer Wizard saves her And yea, her beating the Murder Grandpas is amazing. Not to mention Storm nearly destroyed the world because Doom turned her to Chrome and her claustrophobia went into overdrive and she made all the weather on earth go nuts.

In short, Storm is amazing.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Endless Mike posted:

It was a knife fight in the comics.

Which belongs in the badass thread.

How Kurt? How is that a bluff?
Did Storm not really catch the knife? Is the one she holding a duplicate knife she produced or some hologram?

I probably shouldn't go hard on Kurt since English isn't his first language, but come on.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Storm's bluffing because the fight is meant to be a battle to the death, and Storm has sworn not to kill. From Kurt's perspective, that makes it inevitable that she'll lose, so any amount of showboating is just her trying to bluff Callisto down.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Did Storm ever sworn not to kill, or did Kurt just believe that because she's a member of the X-Men she did?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Storm specifically swore never to kill, it's one of her character beats in the early part of the run. There's a great scene in #150, when the X-Men are infiltrating Magneto's island base, where she finds Magneto sleeping in his chambers and debates whether or not she should slit his throat with a knife.

Classic comics. I love that final panel.

Around this part of the run, Storm is getting more and more jaded, and it's a big shocking moment that she actually stabs Callisto in the heart in the knowledge that the Morlock healer may be able to resuscitate her - so not quite killing, but walking over the line.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I don't recall her ever having a "no kill" policy, Kurt's reasoning was simply because she was Storm. She was beautiful and a Goddess and all that. Just by her nature, she nurtured life and didn't take it, even if sometimes things or people needed to be punched or lightninged or whatever. He maybe had her up on a bit of a pedestal. It's around this time that she has a personality shift because she feels her relationship with the elements is out of whack, she starts wearing a lot of leather and adopts the mohawk and that.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also about that scene: it really demonstrates the power of the thought bubble. I guess the first person narration box would do some of that job in modern comics, but just as likely the intent wouldn't be conveyed with words at all. I think there's some value in Storm having this huge overwrought moral crisis, it really elevates the melodrama and makes the scene memorable.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Was anyone clamoring for vampire storm to hang around?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Dracula?

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

irlZaphod posted:

I don't recall her ever having a "no kill" policy, Kurt's reasoning was simply because she was Storm. She was beautiful and a Goddess and all that. Just by her nature, she nurtured life and didn't take it, even if sometimes things or people needed to be punched or lightninged or whatever. He maybe had her up on a bit of a pedestal. It's around this time that she has a personality shift because she feels her relationship with the elements is out of whack, she starts wearing a lot of leather and adopts the mohawk and that.

In the post above you she literally says "I swore an oath, never to kill again."

That's the oath Kurt's talking about.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

In the post above you she literally says "I swore an oath, never to kill again."

That's the oath Kurt's talking about.
Both posts were "literally" at the same time, but thanks.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Glad I could help.

But seriously, my bad. I wasn't trying to be a dick to you or anything like that. Just noting that she did swear that oath.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I have a soft spot for Bloodstorm because I have a strange fondness for Mutant X and Bloodstorm works reasonably well in the 616. I'd rather have her around than, say, Nate Grey.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Storm is really cool. I hope someone at some point does a Fraction style run except instead of it being a book revolving around Cyclops every page it revolves around Storm instead.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Not really but also she's not a bad character so I don't mind her being around.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Storm had a solo series awhile ago, was it any good?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Storm had a solo series awhile ago, was it any good?

It wasn't bad or anything, it was just sort of there.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Is anybody else bothered by Magneto just passing out after dinner, without even getting his robot butler or whoever to clean up his mess? I mean, he might be a genocidal maniac, but I never thought the dude was a slob.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Is anybody else bothered by Magneto just passing out after dinner, without even getting his robot butler or whoever to clean up his mess? I mean, he might be a genocidal maniac, but I never thought the dude was a slob.

Look dude, Magneto doesn't give a gently caress about cleaning. He's the Master of Magnetism. He'll have Ferris clean when he wants him to.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Earlier in the issue Kitty finds his coffee at the desk of his giant world tyrannising computer installation, and is like, "it's still warm! Magneto was here recently!".

I actually love the sincerity of this classic stuff, because a modern issue would absolutely have played that as a gag, like, "wha-huh, Magneto drinks coffee?!" while someone basically mugs at the camera, but in this issue it's just like, yes, he's a human person, of course he drinks coffee. He was drinking some coffee while using his giant tyranny computer. Nothing weird about that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh man.

X-Men: Red was fantastic.

If Phoenix Resurrection sapped all hope out of you of anyone being able to write Jean as she's meant to be, this issue will resurrect rekindle reignite :sweatdrop: re...give...that hope.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I really enjoyed it, too. Having Jean basically rebuke Xavier's dream as too centrist was an interesting way to go, but it made sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Loved X-Men Red. What do you guys think of the villain reveal at the end? I wonder if there's some kind of tie-in to Astonishing X-Men with Xavier being brought back there as well.