Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ardennes posted:

Btw, I don't know how you get I saying Poland was especially bad. I personally don't think Polish was that much of a standout considering many of its neighbors, but the law in particular is cutting across the board. The law is taking a hard line position on something is just indefensible from a historical perspective since it doesn't have any nuance to it, because lets admit things did happen that should be remembered. Should it be to anywhere on the same scale as what the Nazis did? Perhaps not, but it should be in the history books.

(If anything I said in that quote it wasn't to the scale to the Nazis...I don't know what you want me to say.)

Also, I don't know if Vichy France gets much of a pass, maybe from the FN and elements of the French right?

From my understanding (and perhaps I'm wrong on this), the entire issue here is that there is nuance to this law. The law in question makes it illegal to accuse the Polish State/Nation as a whole of being complicit in the Holocaust, not anyone Polish across the board. If I'm reading it correctly, it'll still be ok to accuse an individual of aiding the Nazis, just not the entire nation.

quote:

"Should it be to anywhere on the same scale as what the Nazis did? Perhaps not, but it should be in the history books."

The Israeli War Crimes Commission estimates the number that collaborated with Nazis to be <0.1%. This is why the Poles are so adamant about this: they're worried that over time they'll be equated with the Nazis, more-so than others that had less than stellar pasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

From my understanding (and perhaps I'm wrong on this), the entire issue here is that there is nuance to this law. The law in question makes it illegal to accuse the Polish State/Nation as a whole of being complicit in the Holocaust, not anyone Polish across the board. If I'm reading it correctly, it'll still be ok to accuse an individual of aiding the Nazis, just not the entire nation.

It seems something like that is so broad it could effectively mean anything, basically like "insulting Turkishness." If you point to a particular event or aspects that involves more than a few individuals, what happens? Like I said what about Jan Gross and Neighbors?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ardennes posted:

It seems something like that is so broad it could effectively mean anything, basically like "insulting Turkishness." If you point to a particular event or aspects that involves more than a few individuals, what happens? Like I said what about Jan Gross and Neighbors?

I don't think anyone knows, as the law hasn't actually been implemented.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I don't think I ever encountered the phrase "Polish death camps" before reading about this law.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Doctor Malaver posted:

I don't think I ever encountered the phrase "Polish death camps" before reading about this law.

It seems to be more of a mass media thing to me, rather than a matter of, say, a history curriculum.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

On the one hand I understand the desire to correct the record about Polish government involvement in WWII which was never collaborationist and didn't murder any Jews personally or encourage the murder of Jews, but on the other hand this is an attempt to cement a version of history in which we as a nation and a people have a completely clear conscience regarding our treatment of Jews. There are still people who attempt to dissemble or at least downplay events like the Jedwabne massacre described in Gross' book Neighbors or the Kielce pogrom with some stating flat out that they're Jewish lies and that Poland has no complicity in the destruction of the Jews and that claims to the contrary are just attempts by the Jews to wring more money out of the Polish state.

Antisemitism is second nature to nearly all non-cosmopolitan Poles and a good number of cosmopolitan ones as well so its hard to take the government's claims that this is not meant to stifle discussion around Polish crimes against the Jewish people at face value. From my perspective it absolutely is. Our people are very invested (fed on propaganda from the teat) in Poland being the victim and only the victim in WWII and the people only having done good, courageous and heroic things ever. In the national consciousness we are the eternal, heroic victim, betrayed by everyone, bravely fighting for God and Nation against evil hordes from all sides.

There is similar outrage/open hostility whenever you mention Polish war crimes/crimes against humanity against any other people (i.e. the Ukrainians in the period following WWI) so its not limited to just the Jews, but I have to think its extra sweet for a lot of anti-Semites to be sticking it to the (((globalists))) which is why PiS is doing this needless and frankly unenforceable law, a big juicy bone for their nationalist base.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Doctor Malaver posted:

You did, but probably didn't notice, because it isn't a big deal and an obvious shorthand. Up until now, the issue wasn't really something that general populace really cared about and the dogged insistence on correcting this by the governments might have even seemed a bit silly, but ultimately very understandable - it's kind of what the diplomats are supposed to do.

The core fear about this misrepresentation is less about some German conspiracy to offload the baggage of holocaust to Poles and more about the misconception trickling down to dummies which don't care/know anything about the topic. Like, a fitting anecdote I hazily remember as the last time this topic cropped up in my memory was some African country publishing a history schoolbook years ago that barely touched the topic of holocaust at all, while using the dreaded phrase in the sole paragraph about it. So, you know, while not being a super important issue, you can see how that could make folks uncomfortable.

Having said that, A Pale Horse is very correct about people here being incredibly defensive about facing any past genocide-ish crimes. It makes any sort of domestic discourse about these things a dumb shitshow about Slavic Turbohitlers vs. Impeccable Hussar Paladins that immediately escalates into utter pointlessness.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

https://www.rferl.org/amp/russia-prominent-activist-found-dead-update/29016514.html

Funny how opposition activists seem to regularly be victims of murder-robberies.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
A study on Helsinki-Tallinn tunnel has been published.
http://www.finestlink.fi/en/2018/02/07/final-report-published/

I am excited.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That is the finest link I've ever seen.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It looks like it could be potentially cool and good? What is it doing in the Eastern Europe thread?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Of the places to build a 100 km undersea tunnel... this one seems to have relatively little population to warrant such a project. Is there that much traffic between Helsinki and Tallinn?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Of the places to build a 100 km undersea tunnel... this one seems to have relatively little population to warrant such a project. Is there that much traffic between Helsinki and Tallinn?

I'm not really sure, but the current ship/ferry passenger numbers between Sweden, Finland and Estonia are surprisingly large:

Or maybe the passenger numbers everywhere else are just really small, I don't know. :v:

Image source: http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Maritime_ports_freight_and_passenger_statistics

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

steinrokkan posted:

You're thinking of the wrong aspect - this provides a convenient land transport link from Finland to the Baltics and the east of Europe in general without having to go through Russia. Which will be especially useful as it'll have the rail be built standard gauge for easier access from the main European rail network. This also will provide a better land based link from the west of Europe to Finland, rather than needing to go all the way up Norway or Sweden to avoid ferries, or having to go east into Russia.

So it's not "how many people want to go Tallinn to Helsinki" but "how many people and how much goods do we want to go from most of Europe to all of Finland".

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Happy "Fat Thursday" Goons! May you devour many Pączki!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Pączki are disgusting trash.

But I'll still binge on them today.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Lichtenstein posted:

But I'll still binge on them today.

why are we friends again

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

jaete posted:

I'm not really sure, but the current ship/ferry passenger numbers between Sweden, Finland and Estonia are surprisingly large:
Even more now.
https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/118_million_helsinki_harbour_europes_busiest_passenger_port_in_2017/10026733

quote:

The overwhelming majority of passengers in Helsinki made their way to Tallinn, Estonia. Some nine million passengers travelled to Tallinn while 2.3 million people sailed to Stockholm, Sweden.

I had no idea it was this high. Finland, it looks like we are meant to be together :finland:

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
This link also gives RailBaltica more meaning.
And I really freaking want high speed rail station in Kaunas for cheapish and fast vacationing.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Lichtenstein posted:

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
It also looks like Norway and Finland are looking at connecting port of Kirkenes with Rovaniemi to carry container trade from China.
https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/arctic/2018/02/barents-town-envisions-arctic-hub-link-china

It would be cool if they pulled it off. More power to the tunnel and RB. Steal some shipping off the port of Rotterdam.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Man, Kirkenes is really far north. Linking it to Helsinki and Rail Baltic probably wouldn't be cheap. And of course, the local populations aren't happy.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

alex314 posted:

Happy "Fat Thursday" Goons! May you devour many Pączki!

What's this Pączki nonsense, that's clearly a pončiks

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Arzachel posted:

What's this Pączki nonsense, that's clearly a pončiks

Gesundheit.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's a donut.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Keep talking, I'll be here, putting you all on my short list

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I never liked the Pączki fillings.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's jam.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

So a donut?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

adhuin posted:

So a donut?

They do have a distinct taste.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
European donut, yeah. FWIW I actually enjoyed them quite a bit when I was staying in Warsaw - Czech donuts are a lot blander and drier.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Traditionally its rose hip jam which isn't very popular anywhere else that I'm aware of. Personally I love it though.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

A Pale Horse posted:

Traditionally its rose hip jam which isn't very popular anywhere else that I'm aware of. Personally I love it though.

They used to use that as the filling here too and at some point everyone switched to generic berry, raspberry etc. loving criminal.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I got an ad today from Poland, just to Streisand Effect the Holocaust legislation further:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrkQ20SjHoU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

donuts filled with rosehip jam are practically a staple food

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Russian nuclear scientists arrested for 'Bitcoin mining plot'

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43003740

quote:

Russian security officers have arrested several scientists working at a top-secret Russian nuclear warhead facility for allegedly mining crypto-currencies.

The suspects had tried to use one of Russia's most powerful supercomputers to mine Bitcoins, media reports say.

The Federal Nuclear Centre in Sarov, western Russia, is a restricted area.

The centre's press service said: "There has been an unsanctioned attempt to use computer facilities for private purposes including so-called mining."

The supercomputer was not supposed to be connected to the internet - to prevent intrusion - and once the scientists attempted to do so, the nuclear centre's security department was alerted. They were handed over to the Federal Security Service (FSB), the Russian news service Mash says.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/TwitterMoments/status/962672412478394369

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SaltyJesus posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-42937889

"Here are the borders," said protester Rania Mainou from Xanthi in northern Greece. "This is Macedonia. Here, these are Slavs, they are not Macedonians, we are Macedonians. Macedonia is Greek, no one can take this name, no one can use it."

Macedonians are passing as Greeks now??? smdh

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
There are now two теремок restaurants in NYC. It is pretty hilarious because they advertise as health food in the US.

Yelp reviews indicate they are attracting the correct clientele, however.

from yelp:

quote:

“Just wish they came with sour cream, luckily I've had my own each time I ordered.” 4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nenonen posted:

Macedonians are passing as Greeks now??? smdh
They've been doing that at least since they've been granted independence. I had assumed such an identity crisis was foremost on Greece's list before the first debt bubble popped. I even did a cartoon on it back in grade-school.