Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Fargin Icehole posted:

I'd be cool with a nomadic belmont type character if it were an actual belmont like character, and not a big tittied nomadic lady.

Big reason is, I'd prefer a konami confused barbarian dude with a whip to do the dungeon delving, is that sexist? I just like Castlevania, sorry

Our next guy is going to be a Conan-like shirtless furred loincloth barbarian archer straight out of a Frank Frazetta painting with the guiding aesthetic of a big fukken codpiece so we'll see if people react the same way to Big Dick Barbarian the same way as the Omen Seeker (lmao no they won't)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!
If it's not Titty Belmont you can always count on an MLP themed version anyway.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Our next guy is going to be a Conan-like shirtless furred loincloth barbarian archer straight out of a Frank Frazetta painting with the guiding aesthetic of a big fukken codpiece so we'll see if people react the same way to Big Dick Barbarian the same way as the Omen Seeker (lmao no they won't)

i'd hope they would i remember this pal being pretty popular

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Mans posted:

Okay so first things first:

gently caress the Crimson court DLC.

It's such a loving annoyance. I bought the DLC because i wanted a new dungeon, turns out it's the most clingy DLC i've ever bought since all town events by default are caused by it until you go there and after you do to the first mission it turns out all the other dungeons get filled with high speed, poison, bleeding and vampire inducing stacks on top of the regular dungeon appearances.

This is a terrible design.

Additionally, just tried to run a level 3 Ruin, got attacked by vampires every two corridors and after i loving waded through all that crap i found a loving SHAMBLER on literally the last corridor before the final room with the quest item. Party was wiped since my dudes used up all supplies and stress dealing with a medium dungeon + 500000 mosquitos from the mary sue DLC.

I'm mad. Mad about video games.

A hand's breadth from becoming unwound...

Hammer Bro. posted:

God dammit, game. I'm on week 40 or so and I wasted a bunch of relics upgrading things I don't need (anything that isn't Guild or Blacksmith), and just now I find out that you can convert relics from one type to another.

On Switch it's click-the-left-joystick in town.

Honestly that's a problem in the PC version too.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 7, 2018

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

But

Why

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
because big fukkin bra

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

I think we're trying to make a statement.

code:
Design revision:
- Enlarge groin by at least 40%
- Remove backpiece on belt; replace with thong
- Add earring
We've not abandoned the style guide so much as set it on fire and pissed on the ashes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

excuse me i dont see any room for groin physics there.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

excuse me i dont see any room for groin physics there.

Darkest Dungeon Beach Volleyball, when?

They're sitting on a goldmine.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Is the story supposed to make any sense? It seems every monologue from the narrator is about some random poo poo and I can't piece any of it together

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

your ancestor hosed up. you're supposed to fix it via brutal murder.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

g0lbez posted:

Is the story supposed to make any sense? It seems every monologue from the narrator is about some random poo poo and I can't piece any of it together

It's a thinly veiled metaphor for the US Economy; the Ancestor represents Baby Boomers, the monsters are unrestrained Capitalism and you are a struggling Millennial trying to clean things up while the Boomers mock you.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

g0lbez posted:

The story is told through the narrations when you load up boss missions, and for each boss the narrations over the three difficulties tell a new story of how your ancestor was a hosed up prick

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

It's a thinly veiled metaphor for the US Economy; the Ancestor represents Baby Boomers, the monsters are unrestrained Capitalism and you are a struggling Millennial trying to clean things up while the Boomers mock you.

And in doing so you become the monster you vowed to defeat, treating human beings as replaceable parts in your campaign, sending them out of sight when they become unprofitable.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

g0lbez posted:

Is basically the entire story

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
what did he do? accidentally summon a bunch of pig things and vampires?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!

g0lbez posted:

If you really Wanna know...

The Ancestor is some bougie rich dude who had nothing better to do than to try to open a portal to some hell dimension (meta spoiler, it wasn't a hell dimension, it was earth all along!). This didn't happen overnight, and along the way he learned mycology, necromancy, demonic summoning, and Trans-pelagic commerce. All of the paths ultimately led to dissatisfaction; apparently he just got bored of summoning skeletons and left the Necromancers on autopilot. He got into gardening but his girlfriend got fat so he kicked her out. Then he got into demonic summoning but since it's hard to get it right he ended up with all these cronenberg monsters that he just flushed down the toilet and ignored.

Of course the townspeople got pissed off about all this bougie excess so he hired Blackwater Inc to suppress the riots. One guy was seriously onto him and having a Rasputin level of resilience the Ancestor just showed him Goatse and the dude flipped out.

Then of course it all goes to poo poo anyway because the Ancestor can't stick to one goddamn thing so he's gotta write to his inbred grandkid about fixing everything. Then when you finally do and find out the guy was just some lazy douchebag all along you decide gently caress it, this is someone else's problem and start the cycle anew.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hammer Bro. posted:

I did not know you could change skills mid-dungeon.

wait
what
HOW

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Panfilo posted:

The Ancestor is some bougie rich dude who had nothing better to do than to try to open a portal to some hell dimension (meta spoiler, it wasn't a hell dimension, it was earth all along!). This didn't happen overnight, and along the way he learned mycology, necromancy, demonic summoning, and Trans-pelagic commerce. All of the paths ultimately led to dissatisfaction; apparently he just got bored of summoning skeletons and left the Necromancers on autopilot. He got into gardening but his girlfriend got fat so he kicked her out. Then he got into demonic summoning but since it's hard to get it right he ended up with all these cronenberg monsters that he just flushed down the toilet and ignored.

Of course the townspeople got pissed off about all this bougie excess so he hired Blackwater Inc to suppress the riots. One guy was seriously onto him and having a Rasputin level of resilience the Ancestor just showed him Goatse and the dude flipped out.

Then of course it all goes to poo poo anyway because the Ancestor can't stick to one goddamn thing so he's gotta write to his inbred grandkid about fixing everything. Then when you finally do and find out the guy was just some lazy douchebag all along you decide gently caress it, this is someone else's problem and start the cycle anew.

so the entire story is some bored dickhead doing occult things to see what happens, gotcha

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

CommissarMega posted:

wait
what
HOW

Same way as when you're in the hamlet. You just pull up the character's info screen at any time outside of combat, deselect some skills, and select others.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

g0lbez posted:

so the entire story is some bored dickhead doing occult things to see what happens, gotcha

and then the story of the crimson court is there were a bunch of other bored rich dickheads

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

UberJew posted:

and then the story of the crimson court is there were a bunch of other bored rich dickheads

The bourgeois were the real eldritch terror after all

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
After returning to this after a bunch of AAA titles it kicks the piss out of them at audio mixing.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

I think we're trying to make a statement.

code:
Design revision:
- Enlarge groin by at least 40%
- Remove backpiece on belt; replace with thong
- Add earring
We've not abandoned the style guide so much as set it on fire and pissed on the ashes.

He'd need to look like he is smuggling bowling balls in his codpiece to be as absurd as Titwhip.

(I'm not a regular in this thread. I guess you're the artist/creator for that mod?)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

g0lbez posted:

Never trust anyone who uses the phrase 'I grew tired of conventional extravagance.'

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
That's the motto of the DD modding community.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Panfilo posted:

This was great. Not done with the game yet (I have 6 level 6s... getting close?), but based on some of the boss audio logs, I've been building this story a little bit. The cronenberg audio log was awesomeeeee.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!
I'm pretty sure also that the Ancestor planned to shank the Countess before he even knew she was a vampire.

Because he was bored and wanted her to go away.

The dude has problems with women.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
This is indeed the case. He was planning on murdering her, arranged an excuse to get her somewhere isolated, and then was pretty drat surprised when she tried to murder him first.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
That whole scene is just peak lovecraft. He's going to murder her just because he's bored. She flips and tries to eat him because she's secretly a horrible bug monster. He flips and murders her anyway because he's a lovecraft-style wizard for whom murdering someone is a normal Tuesday. He of course decides it would be a shame to let a perfectly good bug monster go to waste, and promptly loses control of the situation in a way that anyone who isn't completely bonkers could see coming. Good stuff.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Having fought her in game, I really want to know how the gently caress he pulled that off with just his murderin' knife.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Night10194 posted:

Having fought her in game, I really want to know how the gently caress he pulled that off with just his murderin' knife.

Have you seen what his trinkets do? That stress maulus doesn't mean poo poo when you're already comfortably insane.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Night10194 posted:

Crit build.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

zfleeman posted:

This was great. Not done with the game yet (I have 6 level 6s... getting close?), but based on some of the boss audio logs, I've been building this story a little bit. The cronenberg audio log was awesomeeeee.

You need at least 16 level 6's because any hero who successfully complete a Darkest Dungeon level can't go back in. Unless you're playing Radiant mode, but they take twice as much stress.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Night10194 posted:

She's pretty terrible, but the Ancestor is just the worst.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Panfilo posted:

Yeah unfortunately. But if you have it, that is one of the cheaper special buildings.

And if you don't want to deal with the Crimson Court itself you can choose to just unlock the special buildings and Flagellant.
I've found this is a nice compromise, since you have the option of activating the court once you're more prepared for it.

A.o.D. posted:

She's pretty terrible, but the Ancestor is just the worst.
And yet, the Fanatic exists.

I hate the Fanatic so much.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Saladin Rising posted:

I hate the Fanatic so much.

Don't worry, he hates you, too.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

White Coke posted:

You need at least 16 level 6's because any hero who successfully complete a Darkest Dungeon level can't go back in. Unless you're playing Radiant mode, but they take twice as much stress.

Say what? I don't even have 16 characters, much less 16 6s.

While I can kind of see what they were going for, I'm not fond of the grind as opposed to difficulty progression.

In other news, I lost my first character on Week 42. Fortunately it was just an antiquarian so I didn't have to bail the mission, but I like having extra treasure.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hammer Bro. posted:

Say what? I don't even have 16 characters

how did you get to level 6 with any characters without losing someone

i run a full max-size roster and still occasionally find myself wishing i had another half dozen slots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Radiant mode helps save time, first by giving more town upgrade items and second by letting higher level dudes in lower level areas.

I'm okay with this because otherwise optimal play would be to form new parties to get town upgrade materials then throw them away (or let them die) once they'd be forced to enter an area that they're not equipped for.

Other than that: prioritize offense over defense, stuns are good, get your healing in once they're down to one dude?

I do tend to keep the torch pretty bright because the potential extra loot doesn't seem worth the increased risk of losing a character. Plus I think it increases scouting chances, and I'd rather my characters be surprised in a fight than me be surprised by a fight.

What's max-sized roster, anyway? I haven't even used all the character classes since I found three groups that work for me.

My favorite team is two Grave Robbers, one Antiquarian, and one Occultist.