Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

RabidWeasel posted:

One of my recent games I didn't have a ruler with a stat total below 15 for like the first 100 years, it was goddamn stupid. It actually completely breaks the game. I wish MP generation was less feast-and-famine.
Agreed. I ran roughshod on the world as Buganda because all of my rulers were total badasses that usually ruled for more than 40 years. I could have got the 5/5/5 achievement like four times that game. It was insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

RabidWeasel posted:

One of my recent games I didn't have a ruler with a stat total below 15 for like the first 100 years, it was goddamn stupid. It actually completely breaks the game. I wish MP generation was less feast-and-famine.

My man, do I have news for you about this radical new concept called 'Democracy!' Now if you'll just give me all that useless absolutism, we'll- Wait come back! It's consistent and morally right!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I have 300 hours and I've never had a ruler with a six in any stat except playing as Prussia with military. But yeah for a game that takes place when the idea of nation states and democracy is developing they put way too much emphasis on a randomly generated dude. I usually don't like when they give bonuses to your rulers final stats, but perhaps in eu5 they could expand on that. Cap a rulers stats at like two so he can still have an effect but it's lessend and then have different government types confer different bonuses. Hordes and absolute monarchy would get bonus military power. Republics Diplo and so on. You could even change the bonus on a per party basis in republics giving them greater flexibility in exchange for having to manage party politics. Development should also happen naturally and over time. Bring in a simplified pop system make estates more similar to Meiou and taxes. End the game earlier so Vicky three starts earlier. Never try and make an expansion to fix China. Allow you to reverse trade nodes so everything doesn't always flow to Amsterdam. Raise coring costs significantly. Make it take longer and make autonomy a more significant mechanic. Put edicts in the outliner.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Disinheritance is a cool concept but totally broke MP functionally. I haven't had a game where I wasn't forever at/ahead on tech after about 1550 since Rights of Man came out. Normally there's enough left over to waste on developing, even, although personally I don't enjoy going mad on conquering so that helps a bit.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

if i was an evil designer i'd make it so that you can't see an heir's stats until they're 15

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I want a random old world mode. Like you know someones gonna show up but you have no idea what they will be like and from what direction

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Agean90 posted:

I want a random old world mode. Like you know someones gonna show up but you have no idea what they will be like and from what direction
Yeah, I keep playing random dev/lucky/new world and it's nice, though I feel like it kinda makes Russia OP because they seem to always grab more dev that way

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Republics definitely need some beefing up. How about we add a new, extremely powerful modifier that you can slowly build up? We could call it democraticness.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Fister Roboto posted:

Republics definitely need some beefing up. How about we add a new, extremely powerful modifier that you can slowly build up? We could call it democraticness.

Democrattitude

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

kingons/queons vs republicons.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
The other day I rolled back to 1.15 and I've been having a lot more fun even if it means one or two of my DLC are now useless.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

double nine posted:

kingons/queons vs republicons.

I misread at that "klingons" and then I suddenly realized what EU4 is missing:

An alien invasion DLC as the counterpart to CK2's Sunset Invasion.

Make them technologically advanced aliens but terrible at war (negative army tradition, increased attrition under all circumstances, etc) for a thing like the Worldwar books.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Gaius Marius posted:

I've never had a ruler with a six in any stat

Got this awesome lady from the event that offers a female heir with an average claim. You better believe I windmill slammed my LMB on yes

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Huh. I turned off random new world and spawn fantasy new world and Australia is still there

What gives? Is this a known bug?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yes, Australia is a known bug.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

You can't get rid of us. We are unstoppable. Even when you try to randomize the new world, we pop up like "Sup cunts?"

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

How do you guys manage development in large empires?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

Get more of it by conquering and consuming smaller empires

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Huh. I turned off random new world and spawn fantasy new world and Australia is still there

What gives? Is this a known bug?
Australia is in the "Old World" hemisphere and stays.

Unfortunately.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Agean90 posted:

I'll be sad if we don't get a fully random world option in dlc before the dev cycle for EUIV ends.

I expect to be sad. :smith:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fintilgin posted:

I'll be sad if we don't get a fully random world option in dlc before the dev cycle for EUIV ends.

I expect to be sad. :smith:
I have been begging for this since EU2 :smith:

edit: I bet they could crowdsource map tiles, too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 8, 2018

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Australia is in the "Old World" hemisphere and stays.

Unfortunately.
What????

I didn't realize that Paradox were Australia truthers, this is absurd. Do they also believe in Atlantis and Mu???

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

Usually not at all.

The only time I ever develop, regardless of my country's size, is if I'm seeding an institution, or if I'm about to hit the MP cap and have nothing else to spend it on, in which case I just develop in the cheapest province. Developing is just too expensive.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 8, 2018

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Developing can sometimes be useful early on in a weaker start to get yourself to a reasonably powerful level to get going, though loans will often work just fine for that.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the only time i develop outside of institutions is when i hit the mil point cap. and then i just open the dev macro and sort by what gives the most manpower for lowest cost

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
So I tag switched while I had a fort occupied by rebels and when I took it back it treated me as a hostile and gave me the devastation event on my own province :lol:

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

What do you all do once you've vassalized your majority of HRE elector princes and become emperor? Do you just release them leaving them pissed off, do you annex them leaving everyone pissed off, or do you just let them stay your vassals leaving a draining imperial authority? I'm playing as Saxony and Austria actually managed 4 reforms by 1550, so my plans quickly changed from conquer all neighbors to just gunning for revoke the privileges.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Ok, this is complete loving crock of poo poo: I am the sole loving nation in THE WORLD as far as I know with a real colonial nation (thanks random new world) but because my capital isn't coastal I not only did not spawn the institution, I am not getting any growth of it at all!

This is such utter loving bullshit! The goddamn printing press has just spawned and I'm gonna lag even further behind now because some retard thinks Colonialism can't happen if your capital doesn't happen to be next to the Ocean! Well known non-Colonial Empire France wouldn't get it except that all the Europeans get it ~just because~

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

you could always, uh, move your capital

maybe even to the coast

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Just develop for it at that point. Yeah you’re blowing a load of MP on it, but it’s just gonna be wasted on tech penalty otherwise.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Prav posted:

you could always, uh, move your capital

maybe even to the coast
Does that even work? I'm reading the wiki and it looks it means that I have to have it embraced and it's my colonies that get it?

Jesus gently caress, time to suck up to the Ottomans and wait for it to spread that way I guess

skasion posted:

Just develop for it at that point. Yeah you’re blowing a load of MP on it, but it’s just gonna be wasted on tech penalty otherwise.
I've been blowing my points on conquering, ugghhh.

I guess I can find some spots of lands that aren't horrible and try and develop them

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I guess I can find some spots of lands that aren't horrible and try and develop them

Most efficient province will be one that starts in the 12-20 dev range, ideally farmlands, second best grasslands, third best drylands. And be sure you’re using the state edict for reduced dev cost (don’t forget to turn it off next year!) and have happy burghers if you can get them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

How does map discovery over time work these days? I am the Ottomans and it is 1636 and despite being the number one power in the world that discovered Global Trade, I cant see around Africa yet.

You dont want spots of land, you want one spot of land. Preferably farmland that produces cloth and is a Center of Trade. Get your Burghers to like you enough to give you a 10% discount on development. Use the Development Discount edict. Invest like 800 of each MP into the specific province. BAM! Colonialism.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ok, this is complete loving crock of poo poo: I am the sole loving nation in THE WORLD as far as I know with a real colonial nation (thanks random new world) but because my capital isn't coastal I not only did not spawn the institution, I am not getting any growth of it at all!

This is such utter loving bullshit! The goddamn printing press has just spawned and I'm gonna lag even further behind now because some retard thinks Colonialism can't happen if your capital doesn't happen to be next to the Ocean! Well known non-Colonial Empire France wouldn't get it except that all the Europeans get it ~just because~

If you have a colonial nation in the New World, you should get growth in all of your coastal provinces, as well as your capitol whether it's coastal or not. Is your colonial nation Australia? Because that doesn't count.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Oh my god are you kidding me?

Australia doesn't count?????

Welp, time to Holy war a buncha new world fuckers to get a quick New World nation then!

Also I don't have Cossacks because it wasn't on sale in the Humble Store so don't have estates or uhh, whatever gives edicts. That's the China one?

I watched a video by Reman about maximizing this poo poo a while back but yeah, I'm probably gonna do it in Egypt or something; don't have a lot of Farmlands or Cloth provinces

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

How the gently caress is the Papacy's fleets of transports and Light ships completely clowning on my fleets of Heavy Ships? I've lost forty heavies to them losing like five Lights, across four battles where I had ten Heavies in my fleet and they have ppbbbt 17 Lights and 50 transports?

edit: LOL and now they are going around sinking 100% of my 1x Heavy 25x Lightship fleets with the same 17 lightships of their own :allears:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

How the gently caress is the Papacy's fleets of transports and Light ships completely clowning on my fleets of Heavy Ships? I've lost forty heavies to them losing like five Lights, across four battles where I had ten Heavies in my fleet and they have ppbbbt 17 Lights and 50 transports?

edit: LOL and now they are going around sinking 100% of my 1x Heavy 25x Lightship fleets with the same 17 lightships of their own :allears:
Does the pope have naval ideas?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I thought these hosed up access situations were fixed?

(Notice the Austrian army in the land I do not have access to. They are not at war with anyone else and have no diplomatic relationship with Poland that I can see.

Does the pope have naval ideas?
Nope! Doesnt have an admiral either. And my fleets are up to date; his are not!

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I thought these hosed up access situations were fixed?

(Notice the Austrian army in the land I do not have access to. They are not at war with anyone else and have no diplomatic relationship with Poland that I can see.

Is Austria Emperor? I know there's a couple of weird access rules with the HRE that I can never remember...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Nope! Doesnt have an admiral either. And my fleets are up to date; his are not!

how many 0's is the """random""" number generator giving you during these battle op