Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Sell your PS4 Pro for a normal rear end PS4 and sell your old 3DS and get a Switch. Hashtag Switch master race no spaces send tweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

But then he wouldn't have a 3DS

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

You could get a 3DS for cheap in a year or two once your Switch backlog clears up.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

LODGE NORTH posted:

Sell your PS4 Pro for a normal rear end PS4 and sell your old 3DS and get a Switch. Hashtag Switch master race no spaces send tweet

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Yes the 3DS had a lot of great games come out this year and it's still good. HW:L is much less gimped on a new 3DS, and some people are really liking the New 2DS XL

Some of the good games were Samus Returns, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga DX, Pokemon and Fire Emblem came out, Monster Hunter XX, etc

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
If you're looking to be thrifty, I don't recommend rebuying the exact same console (but sliiiightly improved) again, it doesn't make much sense because you're gonna get a switch eventually, and 100 more bucks gets you there. Especially if your main interest a game that makes a lot of compromises in it's 3DS form factor

Play your PS4 pro for now and keep the 3ds if you must while you save up for a switch

If money isn't an issue, my advice is Do Whatever You Feel Like

Just my two pesos

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Nintendo sells refurb 3DS XLs for $160. They're indistinguishable from new units so you can save $40 that way.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

New 3DS’ are honestly only worth it if you really like the 3D effect and/or you plan on hacking it.

Hyrule Warriors sucks rear end even on a New 3DS. Wait and play it when you eventually get a Switch.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 8, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Don't bother with an old model, just spend the extra dosh and get a New3DS.

Otherwise you're just gonna eventually find something the regular model doesn't play (or plays worse) that you want to try.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Get a switch and a 3ds then walk everywhere while playing games.

Can't believe the obvious choice hadn't been suggested yet.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't bother with an old model, just spend the extra dosh and get a New3DS.

Otherwise you're just gonna eventually find something the regular model doesn't play (or plays worse) that you want to try.

Or don't, because the price difference is substantial and I can say I never really use the features of my New model. I bought a few SNES VC games because I can, but they didn't exactly make the system worth the extra money, and I would've lived just fine without them. I've never used the other shoulder buttons or the nub thing. Sure, if you're really interested in the handful of games that are enhanced for the New hardware (or exclusive to it), it starts to make more sense, but that's a pretty big "if."

People in this thread are all too eager to recommend giving Nintendo more money for almost no reason, though, so I know I'm in the minority with this opinion.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I kind of liked the nub but it handles really weirdly for me and I don't know if it's a defect or just something about how it works. Whenever I play for an extended period of time like in Xenoblade or MH4U there'll be rare instances where the camera will just hard pan downwards when I'm not even touching it. I've read similar reports in relation to sweat on the nub but I don't see any on it when it happens.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Meh new3ds feels like a much less meaningful upgrade if you don't plan on hacking it, def not worth it unless you want to get deep into MH

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The newest Pokemon games run slightly better on New 3DS. Not so much in battle but it's noticeable when going through doors and other transitions.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

SeANMcBAY posted:

New 3DS’ are honestly only worth it if you really like the 3D effect and/or you plan on hacking it.

Hyrule Warriors sucks rear end even on a New 3DS. Wait and play it when you eventually get a Switch.

Eh, I find that HW Legends on New 3DS runs better than the original HW did on the Wii U.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Folt The Bolt posted:

Eh, I find that HW Legends on New 3DS runs better than the original HW did on the Wii U.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p0pI018jQ0

Pretty much the same framerate (25-30) between New 3DS and Wii U, but the Wii U looks so much better.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Folt The Bolt posted:

I suppose it barely does but it looks like poo poo imo. Way too busy for such a low resolution screen.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Dehry posted:

The newest Pokemon games run slightly better on New 3DS. Not so much in battle but it's noticeable when going through doors and other transitions.

Or in double / totem / SOS battles.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Olivil posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p0pI018jQ0

Pretty much the same framerate (25-30) between New 3DS and Wii U, but the Wii U looks so much better.

Except for when the Wii U framerate dips drastically. I find New 3DS Legends much more consistent in that department.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey I haven’t touched my 3DS XL in like a year (?) and the last game I remember wanting was Hyrule Warriors. I love the 3D and was thinking of upgrading my Link Between Worlds XL to a Nu-3DXL.

Are there any discounts or sales I should wait for? What awesome games have I missed in the last year?

If you haven't touched the system for a while, and it still works, and there's only one or two New-only games you might be interested in (not too many exist), then I'd say there's no reason to upgrade. Just keep saving up for a Switch down the road if you'll want more nintendo games your existing system can't play.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
I never properly used the new features on my new 3ds XL, got xenoblade but didn't get into it. I also don't use the 3D features. I kinda preferred my old 3ds XL as it had a nice metallic case and I liked the position of the power button and game cart better.

The new 2dsxl looks great and is pretty cheap and pikachu.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
90% of the use I get out of New 3DS only features is camera control in Monster Hunter

Spellman
May 31, 2011

SteamWorld Dig 2 coming to 3DS soon

It's like the little engine that could

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
That's cool. If it has 3D like the other SWs, I'll grab it!

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
I'm really looking forward to Detective Pikachu and that big amiibo might be my first and last.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Manky posted:

That's cool. If it has 3D like the other SWs, I'll grab it!

It does, and runs at 60fps in 3D to boot

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Spellman posted:

It does, and runs at 60fps in 3D to boot

That's great, I'm firmly one of the weirdos that enjoys the effect. Time to hurry up and finish 1, heh

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
Is there a Radiant Historia thread?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Party Meiser posted:

Is there a Radiant Historia thread?

Depends on the timeline you're in.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
It is really loving hard to try and pre order a copy of radiant historia in the UK.

I blame brexit.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Spellman posted:

Yes the 3DS had a lot of great games come out this year and it's still good. HW:L is much less gimped on a new 3DS, and some people are really liking the New 2DS XL

Some of the good games were Samus Returns, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga DX, Pokemon and Fire Emblem came out, Monster Hunter XX, etc

I picked up a used New 2DS XL two weeks ago. I love it so far. I only have a few games since Nintendo prices never goddamn drop but it’s been great. What Nintendo Selects should I grab? I got the Ocarina of Time remake and was shocked by how well a 20 year old early 3D game held up. Anything else worth the 20 bucks?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Link Between Worlds, Animal Crossing (if you like that sort of game) and Super Mario 3D Land are all pretty good choices.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Seconding Link Between Worlds, that game is real good (if a little bit different in how upgrade items work).

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I'll put stars on my favorite poo poo, but they're all good. Good cheap games, Nintendo Selects or otherwise:

★ The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
★ Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Super Mario 3D Land

Gotta Protectors
Pocket Card Jockey
SteamWorld Heist
Box Boy 1-3
Shovel Knight
SteamWorld Dig 1 & 2
Blaster Master Zero

★ Earthbound (SNES)
★ Harvest Moon 3 (GBC)
★ Pokemon Crystal (GBC)

Spellman fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 15, 2018

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
We need a sequel to Pocket Card Jockey.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is crystal that much better than Gold? I had gold as a kid and was thinking of getting that one over Crystal.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

This week's drop (all releases Feb 15, unless otherwise stated).

Note: eShop updates at 12 noon EST/9am PST for NA, 15.00 CET/14.00 GMT for Europe.

3DS
Fat Dragons - £0.89 / €0.99
Digital - [EU]
Fly your dragon and do battle against enemy dragons invading your territories! Fight within the ruins of an ancient city, then do combat among the trees in a lush jungle. Dodge the molten fireballs launched from an erupting volcano, and avoid pounding rain storms and lightning strikes amidst the clouds – all while taking out your enemies!

Machine Knight - $9.99 / £8.99 / €9.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Travel beyond the gate and save a new world in a turn-based fantasy RPG!

To save his dying world from energy shortages Frain travels through a mysterious gate in an attempt to find a solution. Waiting for him there, however, are treachery and betrayal. Despite this, two heroines, Bell the priestess and the spirited Aulin, support Frain through his troubles. Frain, more determined than ever, sets out with his two new companions to defeat the dark forces and save the world beyond the gate!

Maximise character potential through the Machina Board. By using points earned through battles and completing quests you can change classes and power up skills.

Find items hidden throughout towns and castles, complete various subquests, crawl through vast dungeons, and scour the world for hidden areas containing rare items and craft materials!

A fantastical sci-fi adventure awaits!

Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology - $39.99 / £34.99 / €39.99 (Feb 13 NA / Feb 16 EU)
Retail/Digital - [NA] [EU]
Master the Power of the White Chronicle and repair time!

Unlock the time travelling power of the White Chronicle once again in Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology. This beloved classic is expanded from the original Nintendo DS game and contains a great deal of added gameplay and story content, updated presentation, and new ways to experience the adventure!

The continent of Vainqueur is plagued with the spreading desertification, laying the land to waste by turning it slowly into sand. Tensions rise, and war breaks out for the remaining fertile land. Stocke, a Special Intelligence agent of Alistel, is sent on a special mission when he discovers the powers of the relic, the White Chronicle. With his new-found abilities, Stocke will need to right the wrongs of the past in order to prevent the total annihilation of the world.

In this version, a new, mysterious character named Nemesia teaches him about the world's history and unlocks a third timeline to explore the ripple effect of some of his actions with episodic what-if scenarios.

With redesigned character art, new character voiceovers, music from the original composer Yoko Shimomura, and additional difficulty settings, Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology will enhance the experience in this fresh take of a beloved story.

This title also features both the classic original and an exhilarating new story through Perfect and Append modes. Append mode allows you to beat the original game before having the option to start a New Game+ with the added content, while Perfect mode lets you play through the game with the inclusion of the new content from the beginning.

With an exciting positioning-based battle system, memorable characters, and thrilling time-travel mechanics, Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology is essential for JRPG fans.

New 3DS
RTO 2 - $9.99 / £ ? / € ? (Feb 15 NA / ? EU)
Retail/Digital - [NA] [EU]
RTO 2 is a side scrolling first person shooter with elements from the survival horror genre.

Take control of a 6-man team through four episodes and do your best to survive and complete your mission.

RTO 2 features randomly generated levels and permadeath. It will pitch you up against hordes of enemies and test your survival skills.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is crystal that much better than Gold? I had gold as a kid and was thinking of getting that one over Crystal.

It's a "you might aswell". Gold was my game as well, but Crystal gives the monsters some animation, and there's a new quest. You can pick Boy or Girl, and other perks

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Side scrolling first person shooter?

ALSO I finally get to play Radiant Historia which never came to the EU!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Side scrolling first person shooter?

ALSO I finally get to play Radiant Historia which never came to the EU!!!

It was on the DS though, so there was nothing stopping you from importing it.

Hell, a fair number of good DS games wound up in the EU and Australia only as imported US copies.