Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Donald Glover as Lando is going to be this films only saving grace much like Adam Driver is for the ST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Is it me, or is the implication of the Cantina scene that Han would have dumped Luke and Ben into space if the Empire did show up?

Obi Wan: "We'd like to avoid the Empire."
Han: "Not a problem. My ship can outrun Imperial ships."

Greedo: "Jabba doesn't like smuggler who dump their cargo."
Han: "Well it was the Empire, what was I supposed to do? Avoid them? Outrun them?"

Star Wars fans: "What a cool guy."

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Maybe the dumping happened before he got the Falcon? Regardless, that bit with Greedo added tension.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Maybe the dumping happened before he got the Falcon? Regardless, that bit with Greedo added tension.

Yeah, it's a great scene. It's very tense for Han, and it's also a frying pan/fire situation for Luke and Ben. This dude they just signed on with is nowhere near as incredible as he claims to be. Not only is he poo poo at dodging the empire, he's got every bounty hunter in the galaxy chasing his rear end.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Han Solo: "Hey you know where Jabba won't look for me? TATOOINE! ...I'm brilliant."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Corky Romanovsky posted:

The special edition with the added scene of Han confronting Jabba in the hangar is odd because Han just reuses all the same dialogue from his run-in with Greedo.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Han Solo: "Hey you know where Jabba won't look for me? TATOOINE! ...I'm brilliant."

It worked for Obi-Wan, on no less than Vader.

Maybe that's why he hired him.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

ungulateman posted:

han knows what a parsec is, he doesn't think a farm boy and an kooky old man do

He’s a space farm boy and a space kooky old man literally contracting him to travel parsecs across space.

It’s dumb there’s no defense for it it’s just dumb bad writing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TildeATH posted:

He’s a space farm boy and a space kooky old man literally contracting him to travel parsecs across space.

It’s dumb there’s no defense for it it’s just dumb bad writing.

The defense is it doesn’t need a defense, settle down and watch or not watch some Star Wars

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Now wait a parsec.

How does any of us know that parsec means in Star Wars what parsec means on Earth?

Using the actual meaning of parsec as proof that Han Solo really sucks at what he does and is straight up lying to Ben and Luke about the Kessel Run feels like a stretch. It's a fun thought experiment though because it leads down the "Han is actually a really lovely person from the start" hole which evolves to him developing into a pretty stand-up hero by the end of things.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Excuse me for one second.

How does any of us know that steamed ham means in Albany what steamed ham means in Springfield?

Using the actual meaning of steamed ham as proof that Principal Skinner really sucks at steaming clams and is straight up lying to Superintendent Chalmers about the smoke coming from his oven feels like an isometric exercise. It's a delightfully devilish explanation though because it leads down the "Skinner had actually ruined a roast at the start" hole which leads to him disguising Krusty Burgers as his own cooking for an unforgettable luncheon.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 7, 2018

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

TheKingofSprings posted:

The defense is it doesn’t need a defense, settle down and watch or not watch some Star Wars

Don’t defend lovely writing.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
A parsec, like a meter, is a unit of measurement that refers to some aspect of our own Solar System, which means that either Star Wars actually takes place in our own galaxy's future in which those concepts have survived or for narrative purposes the characters only appear to speak English and "parsec" is actually the closest translation of some alien unit of distance.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

Now wait a parsec.

How does any of us know that parsec means in Star Wars what parsec means on Earth?

Using the actual meaning of parsec as proof that Han Solo really sucks at what he does and is straight up lying to Ben and Luke about the Kessel Run feels like a stretch. It's a fun thought experiment though because it leads down the "Han is actually a really lovely person from the start" hole which evolves to him developing into a pretty stand-up hero by the end of things.

Perhaps none of the words in these movies mean what they mean on Earth, this seems like a good line of argument to explore.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I think it's pretty obvious the Kessel Run is a Rubik's Cube solving competition (or similar).

You're on a ship going a steady, pre-determined speed and thus you can then use distance as a time measurement as well.

I dunno, seems obvious to me.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It turns out Han Solo was just bragging about being a champion mathlete this whole time.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Jizz doesn't mean the same thing in Star Wars as it does on Earth!

I'M JUS SAYIN.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

porfiria posted:

which means that either Star Wars actually takes place in our own galaxy's future

Yeah they should really clarify this. Maybe at the beginning of each movie or something, so it's the first thing you see every time.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

How does any of us know that steamed ham means in Albany what steamed ham means in Springfield?

Using the actual meaning of steamed ham as proof that Principal Skinner really sucks at steaming clams and is straight up lying to Superintendent Chalmers about the smoke coming from his oven feels like an isometric exercise. It's delightfully devilish explanation though because it leads down the "Skinner had actually ruined a roast at the start" hole which leads to him disguising Krusty Burgers as his own cooking for an unforgettable luncheon.

God drat, not emptyquoting this

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can believe Han Solo became famous across the galaxy as a legendary smuggler after he played a pivotal role in defeating the Empire.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Using the actual meaning of steamed ham as proof that Principal Skinner really sucks at steaming clams and is straight up lying to Superintendent Chalmers about the smoke coming from his oven feels like an isometric exercise. It's delightfully devilish explanation though because it leads down the "Skinner had actually ruined a roast at the start" hole which leads to him disguising Krusty Burgers as his own cooking for an unforgettable luncheon.

I glad this was the first thing I saw upon waking up today

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
smg is happy these days and that makes me happy too

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Fuckin' love some Dong Lover

also Clone Stamp Alien

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Captain von Trapp posted:

I hate to say it, but that's bang on. In 1977 that's exactly how audiences would have read the scene. Our subsequent exposure to the gigantic black hole of retconning over the last few decades colors our reading of that scene, but as written Han is certainly not The Galaxy's Best Smuggler. He's at a dive bar hoping to pick up extra cash by driving for Uber.

TFA adds to this in an interesting way too, when the cast from The Raid confronts Solo on his new freighter about how he's scammed everyone, I got the implication that even back then Jabba didn't want him dead for having to drop a bunch of shipments before being boarded, that was Han's bullshit excuse for selling the stuff to someone else and if he only did that to Jabba every once in a while no one would give a poo poo because hey cost of doing business with smugglers.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
those fuckin aliens rule in that pic up there with donglover

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!
The moment you start caring about what "parsec" means is the moment your childhood dies, and oddly enough, also the moment you totally fail at being able to accurately read and interpret film.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

definitions are for losers! exist in the eternal N O W and try not to think too hard. In fact it's best if you don't think at all. Here, have a Captain Jack Sparrow cameo in Star Wars.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

definitions are for losers! exist in the eternal N O W and try not to think too hard. In fact it's best if you don't think at all. Here, have a Captain Jack Sparrow cameo in Star Wars.

:clint: : I've got a clip here that says you'll gtfo.

:smuggo: Hah, clearly you don't know that the correct term is "magaz...

*gunshots*

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Hodgepodge posted:

The moment you start caring about what "parsec" means is the moment your childhood dies, and oddly enough, also the moment you totally fail at being able to accurately read and interpret film.

Are you saying Lucas wrote Star Wars when he was a child?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hodgepodge posted:

Nobody ‘cares’ what parsec means. It simply means a unit of distance.

What people do care about is the fact that Han (a failed, cash-hungry libertarian career criminal) lied about the speed of his truck. (Also, Han doesn’t know that an arcsecond is a geometric term.)

Fans care so much about the idea of ‘a truck that goes fast’ that they warp the entire fabric of the universe to make Han’s lies about the fast truck into objective fact. It’s some crazy cult-like thinking.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
how much lice do you think chewbacca had

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

Nobody ‘cares’ what parsec means. It simply means a unit of distance.

What people do care about is the fact that Han (a failed, cash-hungry libertarian career criminal) lied about the speed of his truck. (Also, Han doesn’t know that an arcsecond is a geometric term.)

Fans care so much about the idea of ‘a truck that goes fast’ that they warp the entire fabric of the universe to make Han’s lies about the fast truck into objective fact. It’s some crazy cult-like thinking.

"Crazy cult-like thinking" like warping reality to make libertarian claims be the honest truth instead of bullshit con jobs is kind of second nature to many people.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kevin Palpatine posted:

As part of a disguise, they are going to shave Chewbacca. He will wear a t-shirt and jeans.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
that should be the real ep ix

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Kevin Palpatine posted:

More importantly, is his pubic lice different from lice on the rest of his body?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Dr.Radical posted:

More importantly, is his pubic lice different from lice on the rest of his body?

Most importantly, are wookiees' internal organs hairy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nael
Sep 10, 2009
There are no organs. It’s hair all the way down

• Locked thread