Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
They should pull a Taika Waititi and make every ranger a New Zealander next season. And the villains. And set the show in Wellington.

Rhys Darby would, of course, need a cameo appearance.

gently caress, how good would a Go Busters Adaption have been with him playing Enter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Coq au Nandos posted:

They should pull a Taika Waititi and make every ranger a New Zealander next season. And the villains. And set the show in Wellington.

Rhys Darby would, of course, need a cameo appearance.

gently caress, how good would a Go Busters Adaption have been with him playing Enter.

Come to think of it, has any New Zealand actor who played a major role in Power Rangers so far been allowed to keep their accent aside from Chase in Dino Charge?

But yeah, they should stop pretending and just make a season canonically set in New Zealand.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Lizard Wizard posted:

Today on Power Rangers: the gang meets a sassy elf.

Tommy, Kim, and Rocky walk along a blue screen with a blue elf thing and then suddenly JAPANESE BONDAGE MAN FROM DAIRANGER

... I need to finish Dairanger.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, has any New Zealand actor who played a major role in Power Rangers so far been allowed to keep their accent aside from Chase in Dino Charge?

But yeah, they should stop pretending and just make a season canonically set in New Zealand.

Xander from Mystic Force was another "the actor cannot do a North American accent to save his life, so gently caress it, the character's from the southern hemipshere"

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I will always love how bizarrely Dairanger begins. A fetlife group shows up to a warehouse, driving boxy cars. A noodle delivery driver is gangstalked by four creepy strangers then abducted by a robot dragon, and this is actually good and cool, but still portrayed as terrifying.

Dairanger is delightfully insane.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Xander from Mystic Force was another "the actor cannot do a North American accent to save his life, so gently caress it, the character's from the southern hemipshere"

Xander's actor was Australian actually but the point still stands.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Larryb posted:

They referenced New Zealand so much during Dino Charge that they might as well have set the show there.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Xelkelvos posted:

The issue is that they all originally have an Australian or New Zealander accent

Do they? I don't think the Sudarso guys do from what I've seen of them off the show? I know Megaforce Red is the most California Brah on earth from his Instagram.

I know Disney was hiring Australia theater grads by the bunches, but it seems like there's fewer of them now. I guess in general my complaint is that it just seems like another effect of "the Angel Grove era was so successful, let's copy it in every way possible." Although I guess it's also because so much of Ozland looks like San Diego.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sometimes they hired American actors. Monica May, burlesque queen, was from Florida I'm pretty sure

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

They hired that one Canadian in Ninja Storm. Miguel Vargas, I think? He was on a lovely teen drama with Hayden Christensen once.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers: I don't know if I'm okay with this.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ok so I'm watching the return of the green ranger right now, and we were talking about how Zedd can create monsters whole cloth and Rita also can sometimes, and are the only characters who can really do that.

So Rita created the Ghost of Darkness. The Ghost of Darkness summoned the Wizard of Deception. The Wizard of Deception creates three rat monsters. How deep does this layer cake go?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

How deep does this layer cake go?

I can't name names, but at least four previous popes are involved.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Ok so I'm watching the return of the green ranger right now, and we were talking about how Zedd can create monsters whole cloth and Rita also can sometimes, and are the only characters who can really do that.

So Rita created the Ghost of Darkness. The Ghost of Darkness summoned the Wizard of Deception. The Wizard of Deception creates three rat monsters. How deep does this layer cake go?

Technically the majority of Zedd's monsters require some kind of object or creature to serve as a host first, though he can recreate them (as well as any monster Finster made) at will.

On the subject of villains creating monsters from scratch Master Vile also created Globbor by vomiting him up and may have created Professor Longnose from the Alien Rangers debut fight as well (who I just discovered was voiced by Kirk Thornton who, much like Bryan Cranston, was a semi-regular on the show as far as monster voices go).

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Yee fuckin haw

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

Do they? I don't think the Sudarso guys do from what I've seen of them off the show? I know Megaforce Red is the most California Brah on earth from his Instagram.

I know Disney was hiring Australia theater grads by the bunches, but it seems like there's fewer of them now. I guess in general my complaint is that it just seems like another effect of "the Angel Grove era was so successful, let's copy it in every way possible." Although I guess it's also because so much of Ozland looks like San Diego.

Well the other thing is the major audience is American kids so they'd at least want to make some of the characters at least vaguely American seeming to appeal to them and not turn them off too much with foreign sounding characters. At least, that'd be my theory as opposed to just not caring about the accents/

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Re: villains

It seemed clear to me that King Mondo built his own monsters. Once Louie Kaboom got in charge, he was actually taking author’s credit for some of the monsters (“my [x] monster”, “my Midas Hound”, etc)

Presumably he built his sons at some point, or.... god, no, let’s not go there.

There was at least one monster of the day (the sleepy one?) that Mondo was extremely disappointed with, read it the riot act and came just short of ordering it dead.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 8, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

By the time you got to Divatox it's theoretically interesting that all her monsters are actually mercs she's hiring. And since the power rangers kill them all she doesn't have to pay them!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

By the time you got to Divatox it's theoretically interesting that all her monsters are actually mercs she's hiring. And since the power rangers kill them all she doesn't have to pay them!

Yeah a fun game to realize is that the very same alien outlaws that the SPD crew were taking alive and submitting to intergalatic justice, the OG Ranger teams from Turbo on were just straight murdering.

And In Space even goes out of its way to show that not all of them are born evil either- some just get browbeaten into it like the Bee dude.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Liz Wiz, I don't want to be that guy, but

you skipped episode 100 you big stupid idiot jerk numbskull

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I liked that the guy that basically defeated the Power Rangers, in that he required both the Megazords going nuclear AND the flying car ramming a bomb into him to finally bite the dust, was introduced already huge.

He is, I think, still the only daily non-leader monster that was already Zord sized when he showed up. Even including bosses, that puts in him in really rare company with, what, Lokar and Dark Specter?

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 8, 2018

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sockser posted:

Liz Wiz, I don't want to be that guy, but

you skipped episode 100 you big stupid idiot jerk numbskull

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Craptacular! posted:

I liked that the guy that basically defeated the Power Rangers, in that he required both the Megazords going nuclear AND the flying car ramming a bomb into him to finally bite the dust, was introduced already huge.

He is, I think, still the only daily non-leader monster that was already Zord sized when he showed up.

The Hatchasaurus showed up big(though did appear small in season 2 briefly), as did the Cyclops from episode 2.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Didn't she send a monster that used to be her fiancé, under the logic that the only two outcomes are "he defeats the Power Rangers and I get to take credit" or "the Power Rangers kill him and I get the satisfaction of seeing his rear end dead"?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MisterBibs posted:

Didn't she send a monster that used to be her fiancé, under the logic that the only two outcomes are "he defeats the Power Rangers and I get to take credit" or "the Power Rangers kill him and I get the satisfaction of seeing his rear end dead"?

Divatox is such a gigantic jerk that it's kinda insulting that she was one of the survivors of the Z Wave(but then that thing is an absolute headache to think about no matter the context)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Lizard Wizard posted:

Hey, no, hold up. Like, less than 3 2-parters ago we specifically established that you couldn't morph if you were sent back in time.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Hey, no, hold up. Like, less than 3 2-parters ago we specifically established that you couldn't morph if you were sent back in time.

Zordon arrived on earth between colonial times and cowboy times, clearly.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Different time travel method.

Lord Zedd has multiple ways to gently caress with time and space

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Listening to Mat and Michael cycle and recycle through the stages of grief regarding time travel is one of my favorite things about Ranger Danger.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Between colonial times and wild West times, the gold and copper rushes allowed enough raw materials to be available for alpha to construct the necessary circuitry to get the command center fully operational.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lizard Wizard posted:

So uhh, I guess time travel was really popular around this time? Because it wasn't all that long since the last episode about time travel.

And that last one made more sense than this one, too! "If Angel Grove gets destroyed, none of you will be born!" Beyond the...debatable...logic of apparently none of their families ever moving out of Angel Grove in over a hundred years, four out of six Rangers aren't Angel Grove natives in the first place! Hell, if the comics are right, then Billy is literally the only current Ranger to be born in Angel Grove. They really did just copy/paste Jason/Zack/Trini with the current three...although at least that makes more sense than Trini's Asian ancestry being actually from Angel Grove, I guess. Still doesn't explain where Adam and his ancestor got their Korean but I guess that Asian-American family was American for a long while. Or why Tommy is still included in the cast.

I'm genuinely shocked this episode actually remembered the Green Power Coin was originally Rita's, and the White Power Coin wouldn't exist until present time.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Have you ever met anyone from Austin? Because if their family is 6 generations old they'll definitely let you know.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Burkion posted:

Different time travel method.

Lord Zedd has multiple ways to gently caress with time and space

That's bullshit. But I'll take it.

What was Zordon's excuse for Alpha correctly declaring that the timetravel plot didn't work due to the Rangers not begin unborn immediately? That no was hilarious, but i'd love to hear the bullshit explanation.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I liked the part where Alpha was just randomly active back then for no particular reason, just roaming around the command center.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Iirc in MMPR at least (can't speak for Time Force), time travelers somehow chain together the time they left and the time they arrived in, so however long it takes them to do something in the past is how long it takes the change to propagate in the present. So if you went into the past and did something for 30 minutes, the changes from that action wouldn't happen until 30 minutes after you left the present.

:pseudo:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Guys, I’m beginning to think PR isn’t a show with very consistent rules or world building :|a

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They're HYPER consistent on the moon and space having oxygen.

Weirdly specifically consistent on that in fact.

Also a lot of time travel poo poo really does come to Zedd himself being inconsistent with his powers. Some days he can throw people back in time, other days he straight up forces time to go backwards itself. Didn't he turn the Rangers into kids like, twice?

Zedd's magic is the most bullshit thing and it's great.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

What was Zordon's excuse for Alpha correctly declaring that the timetravel plot didn't work due to the Rangers not begin unborn immediately? That no was hilarious, but i'd love to hear the bullshit explanation.

His explanation was that he had no evidence of that fact.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

His explanation was that he had no evidence of that fact.

Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

And now, the final episode of season 2.