Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What the hell happens next?
This poll is closed.
They literally set fire to the ring by accident 2 2.22%
They literally set fire to the ring on purpose 6 6.67%
Film 6 months of content accidentally using WWE prop belts 6 6.67%
Rehire Jeff Jarrett 23 25.56%
Start splicing in archival footage of AJ Styles and pretending it's current 23 25.56%
Accidentally switch the live Pop TV feed to the WWE Network 6 6.67%
Lose the keys to the production truck, film 6 months of content in the parking lot with a Samsung 7 7.78%
Sue a fan who flips the bird on air, lose all company rights to said fan 13 14.44%
Somehow everything gets good and they start making money (Comedy Option) 4 4.44%
Total: 90 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, I get that they are important and heavily involved but at the same time I feel like someone had to be like "yo please don't wear nazi poo poo on camera for our struggling company"

Then again Vince dropped an N-bomb in the mid aughts so who knows

Even the Vince n-bomb, horrid as it was, was played for a laugh in terms of being acknowledged as being wildly inappropriate. This is just a dude straight up announcing himself as a Nazi out of character for no reason. Just, yep, he's a Nazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Based on the logo, it was during their weekly PPV days so it's not like anyone was watching.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Chris James 2 posted:

They regularly (and relatively recently) intimidated people into not complaining about not being paid on time. On the rare chance anyone had the guts to tell them this, it was done softly enough to not be heard and wasn't listened to

Unless I'm mistaken them doing this was reported to have happened a lot in the waning days of Dixie owning TNA whenever the production staff went without being paid.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, I get that they are important and heavily involved but at the same time I feel like someone had to be like "yo please don't wear nazi poo poo on camera for our struggling company"

Then again Vince dropped an N-bomb in the mid aughts so who knows

The company had to settle a racial discrimination lawsuit, they were super racist.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I don't think it was the first time it happened either. If memory serves, TNA hired "The Wall" of "It's the Wall, brother" fame and he came out wearing a shirt with Nazi symbols on it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Davros1 posted:

I don't think it was the first time it happened either. If memory serves, TNA hired "The Wall" of "It's the Wall, brother" fame and he came out wearing a shirt with Nazi symbols on it.

That I have no memory of this whatsoever. Don Harris wearing the SS shirt got a lot of negative publicity at the time and the company had to apologize. It's possible Malice had a tattoo or something but I'd be surprised if he worse a Nazi shirt as Malice was in TNA at the exact same time as the SS shirt incident.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRafTer posted:

That I have no memory of this whatsoever. Don Harris wearing the SS shirt got a lot of negative publicity at the time and the company had to apologize. It's possible Malice had a tattoo or something but I'd be surprised if he worse a Nazi shirt as Malice was in TNA at the exact same time as the SS shirt incident.

Nazis symbolism is not big in nashville.

st louis, the whiter parts love that poo poo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
in case anyone was worried about me possibly giving nazis money: i just looked up AroLucha's roster and holy gently caress that's underwhelming, i think i know and like literally about 25% of their roster tops

definitely not bothering with that show now, I was sort of thinking it was gonna be a lot of LU people but not really. if they were promising me Pentagon or Rey or LA Park or Dr. Wagner Jr, I'd be into it, but I'm not going to confession on Sunday over fuckin' Taya Valkyrie and Low Ki.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

in case anyone was worried about me possibly giving nazis money: i just looked up AroLucha's roster and holy gently caress that's underwhelming, i think i know and like literally about 25% of their roster tops

definitely not bothering with that show now, I was sort of thinking it was gonna be a lot of LU people but not really. if they were promising me Pentagon or Rey or LA Park or Dr. Wagner Jr, I'd be into it, but I'm not going to confession on Sunday over fuckin' Taya Valkyrie and Low Ki.

Low Ki is good though.

James Storm, less good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
he's good but he's not "give money to Nazis" good. same with Taya. they'd have to be putting on a loving insane card to get me past that, and they're... not. at all.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm still trying to get past the idea of neo-nazis putting on lucha shows, with actual Mexicans and everything

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm still trying to get past the idea of neo-nazis putting on lucha shows, with actual Mexicans and everything

Don't worry I bet they get stiffed on pay.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
It's Low Ki. He will have quit the company in an angry huff well before that live show.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
I found some proof recently of me giving money to those Nazis :(

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
As I said last week. IMPACT has no money.

quote:

The never-ending pay issues are that now the checks come six weeks after the appearance and some guys now, since Impact is booking guys for indie dates, are mad at losing their own indie dates where they’ll get paid that night and working indie dates for Impact where they’ll be paid six weeks later instead.

Credit: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Somehow this company will still last another 2 years or so

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Somehow this company will still last another 20 years or so

Fixed

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I gotta give Impact credit for lasting as long as they have despite literally never being good ever.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

fart blood posted:

I gotta give Impact credit for lasting as long as they have despite literally never being good ever.

2005 :colbert:

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

No it still sucked then too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah having 3 people that don't suck doesn't cover up the absolute onslaught of bad decisions they kept making through that time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The 2005 hot period is amazing because it only happened because they were off TV. Thus, it was OK for someone other than Jeff Jarrett to be champion and the X Division to get more of a focus because they were saving all the dumb bullshit for when they were back on TV.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

MRT this podcast is so loving good.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

2005 highlights from loltna in no particular order

quote:

TNA accidentally cut to Mike Tenay and Don West clearly reading from a script during an episode of Impact.

(Against All Odds 05) Jeff Jarrett faced Kevin Nash in a match where he would lose the title if he used his trademark guitar. During the match, Jarrett pulled out a case containing a cello, the neck of which snapped as he prepared to hit Nash with it. Despite Jarrett using the cello case to crush Nash's knee, the referee wouldn't let Nash hit Jarrett with the body of the cello. Three ref bumps, a run-in by Billy Gunn (see below), a run-in by a returning Syxx-Pac, a run-in by BG James, a belt shot, and a low blow later, Jarrett retained!

(Against All Odds 05) Billy Gunn debuted in the middle of this match by hitting Nash with a steel chair. Despite helping Jarrett, he got absolutely no reaction from the crowd. TNA debuted Gunn before they had a name prepared for him, forcing him to walk around in a "No introduction needed, you already know my name" T-shirt for awhile. When he used the name "The New Age Outlaw", TNA had to stop him because WWE owned the "New Age Outlaws" trademark. His next choice (just "The Outlaw") didn't last too long, either, and he eventually became Kip James.

Dusty booked a complex match for the X-Division title at Destination X. It started out as a tag team match featuring AJ Styles and Elix Skipper going up against Christopher Daniels and Ron Killings. After Killings was pinned, the match became a triple threat. Daniels and AJ survived the triple threat and had a singles Ultimate X match. During that match, Daniels and AJ inadvertently knocked out the ref. AJ got up and retrieved the belt, but was attacked by Daniels, who took the belt from him. The ref saw Daniels with the belt and declared him the winner.

After the death of Chris Candido, TNA refused to pay the money it owed Candido to his then-girlfriend/commonlaw wife Tammy Sytch (which was technically legal, since they were not officially married). Terry Taylor eventually sent her a ham dinner as a condolence gift.

To further exploit Candido's death for fun and profit (especially the profit), TNA held a tournament for the "Candido Cup". Several tag teams comprised of a veteran teaming with a future star competed for the Candido Cup trophy and a future Tag Team Championship shot. Sean Waltman and Alex Shelley won the tourney, but Waltman no-showed the PPV where he and Shelley were entered into a four-way for the tag titles.

AJ Styles finally ended Jeff Jarrett's nearly-year-long title reign at Hard Justice 2005. To capitalize on the triumphant victory, AJ dropped the title to Raven in the "King of the Mountain" Reverse Ladder Match just thirty-five days later.

May 27 saw the final episode of Impact air on FOX Sports Network. TNA was very close to signing a deal with WGN, to the point where it was expected that they would announce a deal at Slammiversary. Negotiations fell through, and TNA was stuck with no TV deal. TNA wound up putting new episodes of Impact on their website for fans to download or stream, as well as airing them on the Sunshine Network (another Fox Sports affiliate they originally aired Xplosion on) in Florida. When their servers couldn't handle the traffic, TNA asked fans to illegally download the episodes from bit torrent websites.

a banner year, clearly

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

DJExile posted:

2005 highlights from loltna in no particular order

a banner year, clearly

They did have that awesome three way match between AJ Styles, Samoa Joe and Chris Daniels that year, which was the peak of TNA.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
How the gently caress does a Reverse Ladder Match work?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

piss tape israel posted:

THE RULES ARE QUITE SIMPLE

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

piss tape israel posted:

Winner hangs something from a hook above the ring

After being allowed to by pinning an opponent in the ring

Which then sends the pinned person in to a penalty box for 2 minutes

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Phenix Rising posted:

THE RULES ARE QUITE SIMPLE

i hope this phrase never dies :allears:

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

I love disastrously bad wrestling so I got the trial of their dumb network specifically to watch that era of impacts but they barely have any of them

They can't do anything right

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

exploded mummy posted:

Winner hangs something from a hook above the ring

After being allowed to by pinning an opponent in the ring

Which then sends the pinned person in to a penalty box for 2 minutes

this would be even better if it were only a two person match and somehow the guy who gets the pin has to pretend to struggle to climb a ladder for 2 minutes so the other guy can run in

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Thank you, I appreciate it given how much of a pain in the rear end it is to gather info on early TNA these days. So many of the guys involved now work for WWE so good luck interviewing them!

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

What podcast? Link? I love podcasts!!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

fart blood posted:

What podcast? Link? I love podcasts!!

its in the op

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

exploded mummy posted:

its in the op

Yay subbed

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

DJExile posted:

When their servers couldn't handle the traffic, TNA asked fans to illegally download the episodes from bit torrent websites.

Is it still illegal if the copyright owners are giving permission for people to do it?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

Is it still illegal if the copyright owners are giving permission for people to do it?

Honestly I have no idea but this is TNA so probably?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
it would be very unsurprising for TNA to tell fans to download episodes from bittorrent then announce they're suing illegal downloaders next week

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TNA probably got yelled at by their TV partners.

Wasn't there a news tidbit about TNA was sending tapes to places without any contracts or they were under contract and getting paid but never aired? TNA fucks up so often and frequently its hard to remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

coconono posted:

Wasn't there a news tidbit about TNA was sending tapes to places without any contracts or they were under contract and getting paid but never aired? TNA fucks up so often and frequently its hard to remember.

Yeah I remember this popping up with.... I want to say some network in Canada a number of years ago.