Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fuego Fish posted:

Jumped down into the Jellyshroom Caves in my PRAWN and clipped straight through the floor. If I hadn't saved, quit, reloaded and gunned the thrusters I might have lost it forever.
Saves are not over 2 gigs in size anymore, so make regular backups like you're trying to savescum in a brutal roguelike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Magus42 posted:

The Sea Emperor herself left a globule of it in my game

Huh. I'm 99% sure there was nothing in the tank in my playthrough, since I panicked and went through it from top to bottom when I couldn't find any after the little ones left. Maybe it's random?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

He got fired, which is loving hilarious, and then alt-right people started review bombing the game.

All its done is given subnautica a boost in sales which it so desperately deserves, this game rules.

Also I don't think they realize that they aren't helping this racist poo poo head, if anything they are only making him that much more unemployable.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Just started playing, is there a way to add my inventory space to the survival pod itself? Having to go outside to retrieve stuff is a minor annoyance.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Internet Kraken posted:

Just started playing, is there a way to add my inventory space to the survival pod itself? Having to go outside to retrieve stuff is a minor annoyance.

Pretty much stuck with the little storage containers you can plop out under your pod, until you build a habitat builder. After that a mini tube base + solar panel.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
What kind of monster wouldn't follow the Sea Emperor's adorable children out through the portal, just to watch them frolick and play in their newly revitalized aquatic paradise? :ohdear:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Trustworthy posted:

What kind of monster wouldn't follow the Sea Emperor's adorable children out through the portal, just to watch them frolick and play in their newly revitalized aquatic paradise? :ohdear:

At least until the Reaper near the moonpool eats them. :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the big one seems to exude :catdrugs: that pacify nearby creatures so maybe the small ones do too.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I tried scanning a Ghost Leviathan. T_T that is my story. gotta catch all the scans

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

StarMinstrel posted:

I tried scanning a Ghost Leviathan. T_T that is my story. gotta catch all the scans

shoot it in the head with the stasis rifle

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

When I surface for air I like to gather as much momentum as possible to breach the surface like a majestic dolphin

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What do I need to do to harvest larger creatures? I knifed a stalker to death and couldn't seem to do anything with its corpse. Pretty annoying since I spent like 3 minutes chasing it down, but I suppose there's a lesson to be learned about hunting there.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Internet Kraken posted:

What do I need to do to harvest larger creatures? I knifed a stalker to death and couldn't seem to do anything with its corpse. Pretty annoying since I spent like 3 minutes chasing it down, but I suppose there's a lesson to be learned about hunting there.

You can't. Build a scanner room near them to answer the mystery in a non-infuriating way.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Bone sharks are still the most annoying enemies in this game, bar none. I can avoid warper patrol paths, I can skirt by leviathans with patience, but bone sharks just chase me for miles and wreck everything that isn't the Cyclops.

Killing something should deter all the others of the same type in the immediate area for, I dunno, at least an hour or something. At the very least, drilling them in the face should stop them from thinking about harassing me.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I just spent ten hours building a mostly pointless home base for myself.

This game is pretty cool.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Assert your dominance as the apex predator by punching them in the face with your big robot.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

OwlFancier posted:

Assert your dominance as the apex predator by punching them in the face with your big robot.

There's like a dozen of the fuckers and they keep coming back for more punching.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Fuego Fish posted:

Bone sharks are still the most annoying enemies in this game, bar none. I can avoid warper patrol paths, I can skirt by leviathans with patience, but bone sharks just chase me for miles and wreck everything that isn't the Cyclops.

Killing something should deter all the others of the same type in the immediate area for, I dunno, at least an hour or something. At the very least, drilling them in the face should stop them from thinking about harassing me.

Do note that they are attracted to light.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
This isn’t a “kill every thing in the ocean” kind of game. That’s why every weapon is a defensive tool. Think Star Trek. Yeah, there are predators that want to take a bite out of you but you don’t need to kill them to deal with them.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 8, 2018

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Zesty posted:

This isn’t a “kill every thing in the ocean” kind of game. That’s why every weapon is a defensive tool. Think Star Trek. Yeah, there are predators that want to take a bite out of you but you don’t need to kill them to deal with them.

Yeah, repulsion cannon them

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah, repulsion cannon them

Repulsion cannonning things is amazing if it's still as strong as it was in earlier builds.

Why they didn't make the prawn arm one of those instead of the gravity gun I'll never know.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Unhappy Meal posted:

Do note that they are attracted to light.

If I could turn the lights on the PRAWN off, I would.

Zesty posted:

There's a difference between a predator who'll test something to see if it's tasty and a buggy AI that'll try and chew on a piece of titanium that's also punching it in the face repeatedly.

curious
Mar 14, 2007

"Hey, I got one of my paperwork guys complaining about DEMON PILES."

uXs posted:

Also today I discovered you need to actually plant the creepvine clusters to grow creepvine that will have clusters. Merely planting the creepvine won't do. That makes sense.

A similar rule applies for stuff like mushrooms and other smaller plants - you need to knife them for spores and then plant those. Be careful knifing plants that are full of acid, it will hurt you. The utility of growbeds definitely makes it worth the effort though.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Zesty posted:

Yeah you meanies, the list of stuff you need to kill in Subnautica consists of, like, some kelp, a few mushrooms, some coral, some other coral, and probably some melons

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
If you're not collecting samples of every plant in the game to grow in large gardens then I don't even know what you're playing.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Google Butt posted:

shoot it in the head with the stasis rifle

Somewhat related: My only death to fauna in this game occurred in the post-Neptune-built victory lap where I decided to scan all of the creatures that I never bothered to previously. It was so trivially easy to stasis rifle the Reaper and 2 Ghosts that I pretty much lost all fear of Leviathans. Casually strutted right up to the face of the final type for my last scan and....oh yeah. These ones breathe fire. Turns out it kills you pretty much instantly, too. Who woulda thought

If I play through Subnautica again I may have to opt not to use that gun, though. Despite my blunder at the very end, that thing is stupidly overpowered and the tension suffers greatly because of it. Almost everything goes down to one shot + 3 seconds of knifing. I paved my way to the stars on the backs of a thousand boneshark corpses. Hell, even without it the predators in this game, while scary-looking, don't seem very adept at killing you.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

I was very miffed when I tried and failed that, after reading a PDA about another survivor knife fighting stalkers for their teeth just fine :v:

I had never tried to kill a stalker until THE LORE told me it was faster than playing scrap fetch and hoping a tooth dropped the 5th time. So killing the one cool predator in the game for nothing made me sad.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 8, 2018

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why does eating poo poo hurt me? wtf?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Turtlicious posted:

It has a lot of unhealthy bacteria.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Before they turned the seamoth into tinfoil it was my primary weapon against the horrors of the deep. A few good bumps and even bonesharks would try to run away. Even tried to ram a reaper once... their claw things actually deform on impact, it turns out.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
The payoff to killing large creatures and not getting anything comes when you release the emperor babies and unlock the true ending of the game by grappling and drilling them one by one into sad dirt.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Trustworthy posted:

Yeah you meanies, the list of stuff you need to kill in Subnautica consists of, like, some kelp, a few mushrooms, some coral, some other coral, and probably some melons

A good post.

Fuego Fish posted:

There's a difference between a predator who'll test something to see if it's tasty and a buggy AI that'll try and chew on a piece of titanium that's also punching it in the face repeatedly.

No doubt they could have done more with AI.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
oh poo poo Unknown worlds does this game. I just found the enforcement station and managed to find out that the infected are the Kharaa that feature some prominent in NS1 and NS2

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I picked this up a week or so ago and have been playing steadily since. The Reaper Leviathan behind the Aurora killed me very early in the game after just about making me poo poo myself in terror and I've been *very* wary of that area ever since.

Tonight I took my stasis rifle and gathered my courage with a single goal in mind: scan that fucker. By the time I finished the trek from my base it was getting dark so I hovered anxiously on the cliffs that seem to be the border of it's domain, not quite being brave enough to go into the dark water in search of my prey.

After a few minutes I had a brilliant idea: I could bring my Seamoth up nearby and turn the lights on so I could have a better chance of seeing it. This apparently drew the Reapers attention because it immediately shot out of the darkness and grabbed my poor Seamoth, dragging it a hundred meters or so before crushing it to death. Then it came directly for me.

Fortunately stasis rifles are apparently really good because I was easily able to stun when it came in for the kill and scan it before quickly running away. It was a bit anti-climactic to be entirely honest but I did enjoy the note in the journal thing congratulating me for scanning it and living to tell the tale.

Now my question is if anyone has ever successfully knifed one of these bastards to death or if it's even possible at all. I need my vengance.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I like how this game utterly shits itself and hard locks my computer if I so much as sneeze while its loading a save game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Section Z posted:

I was very miffed when I tried and failed that, after reading a PDA about another survivor knife fighting stalkers for their teeth just fine :v:

I had never tried to kill a stalker until THE LORE told me it was faster than playing scrap fetch and hoping a tooth dropped the 5th time. So killing the one cool predator in the game for nothing made me sad.

The entire reason I went after one was because the PDA told me their teeth would be useful. Gotta say, if there's no incentive for hunting larger creatures in this game I'm disappointed. Tracking a large creature across the ocean and stabbing the gently caress out of it with my knife was fun. At least let me carve some steaks off of it.

Though honestly the whole survival element of this game confuses me since it seems irrelevant. You can just meet your hunger and thirst needs by spending one minute picking up fish and then you are set for ages. Maybe there is stuff that makes it a lot harder to get by later though, which wouldn't surprise me. I just inevitably compare every survival game to Don't Starve where getting to a point of comfort when it comes to food takes ridiculously long.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Internet Kraken posted:

The entire reason I went after one was because the PDA told me their teeth would be useful. Gotta say, if there's no incentive for hunting larger creatures in this game I'm disappointed. Tracking a large creature across the ocean and stabbing the gently caress out of it with my knife was fun. At least let me carve some steaks off of it.

Though honestly the whole survival element of this game confuses me since it seems irrelevant. You can just meet your hunger and thirst needs by spending one minute picking up fish and then you are set for ages. Maybe there is stuff that makes it a lot harder to get by later though, which wouldn't surprise me. I just inevitably compare every survival game to Don't Starve where getting to a point of comfort when it comes to food takes ridiculously long.

This game is a survival game for like the first two hours and then you are never in any real danger of dying of thirst/hunger ever again unless you purposely don't bring supplies on a super deep/long trip. Even then there are tools and equipment later in the game that allow you to solve both needs on-the-go

Don't think of it as a survival game, it's an exploration/adventure game with some base survival mechanics

Pendent posted:

Now my question is if anyone has ever successfully knifed one of these bastards to death or if it's even possible at all. I need my vengance.

iirc it is possible, just takes a long time, especially with just the knife

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

OwlFancier posted:

You don't take very much damage and you can just take a bunch of medkits. Honestly that part'd be pretty easy cos you'll outrun the leviathan and warpers/leeches aren't a threat, and you can drop a tube and a thermal plant anywhere.
That seems to be the case now, but back then I seem to recall heat damage being higher, and like I said there wasn't really much of a point.

Internet Kraken posted:

Stalker teeth are a remnant from earlier plans for the game where there was supposed to be a lot more interaction with the fauna as a means of problem-solving.

quote:

I find that the survival stuff adds a nice little rhythm to the game. You keep pushing that "yes, I am doing the thing correctly" button inside your brain.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Welp, just died. I thought running out of breath meant you just started taking damage, not it being a near instant kill. What a stupid way to lose.

Back to the kiddie pool I guess.

Paracelsus posted:

Stalker teeth are a remnant from earlier plans for the game where there was supposed to be a lot more interaction with the fauna as a means of problem-solving.

Aw that's lame. I was hoping that interacting with all this weird wildlife would be a big part rather than just shoving peepers and bladderfish down my throat for the entire game.

So is there even a reason for me to horde all these creature eggs? They take a ton of space but I was hoping there would be something cool I could do with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Turtlicious posted:

^Next thread title right there