Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

The dice giveth and the dice taketh away.

Here is a map with the movement ranges of the Elementals so you can plan around it, as well as my own preferred moves. Team, if you are ending movement in any of the threat areas in the breach, let me, AAAAA, or one of the Nyxes know so we can cover you and hurt them before they try to swarm you. AAAAA I just noticed you're also running hot so I'll try to stay close to you and give you cover as well.

I feel like we want to contract back on the second woods where the Fire Moth is now and work towards getting back in cover before the main force punches through. Hopefully the battle armor follows and we can take it out in the open. I need a turn to cool off a bit so I'll be shooting both AP Gauss at the Ironholds to finish them, but one plasma rifle and the SRMs at whatever battle armor I can hit, or failing that one of the 'Mechs.

LeschNyhan fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Just to be clear, the Golems should have one more volley of missiles left.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Zaodai posted:

In true tabletop RPG fashion, you get the weapon that would be perfect for killing the last guys you fought just after they've adapted to become immune to it. New sword? We're fighting skeletons and ghosts now! :ghost:

It was in the description of some of the armours, that they resist heat.

We have enemies in the backfield, repeat, enemies in the backfield. Also, under fire!

I think it's time to show these Clan bastards my new shield. Someone gank that Fire Moth behind me, I'm stepping onto 0818, and pouring it on at that Dire Wolf with my shields on.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Whoops.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nyx #2 (Player)
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Golem (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 small targets = 6): rolled 2, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Golem (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 small targets = 6): rolled 7, hit Trooper 2 (13/18 armor remaining)!
- Fires SRM-6 (Inferno) at Golem (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 small targets = 6): rolled 10, 4 missiles hit! Fire-Resistant Armor blocks all damage!
- Fires SRM-6 (Inferno) at Golem (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 small targets = 6): rolled 6, 4 missiles hit! Fire-Resistant Armor blocks all damage!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 20!

Just an FYI for recordkeeping: this is an error (in the player's favor) that has no effect on the result, but just in case you copy/pasted or something.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
^^ Yeah, that was me forgetting to do math after changing a value.

Voyager I posted:

Just to be clear, the Golems should have one more volley of missiles left.

Mm-mm.

Support Golems trade the Bearhunter Autocannons for six reloads.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

To put it out in the open, the sheets say the Golems and the Fire Elementals have fire resistant armor while the others have standard.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

PoptartsNinja posted:

^^ Yeah, that was me forgetting to do math after changing a value.

Mm-mm.

Support Golems trade the Bearhunter Autocannons for six reloads.

:eyepop:

Try not to give good shots to the BA squad with Gunnery 3 and an SRM-30.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm gonna try and get my Gurkha behind them so I can stick a knife into their back.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

painedforever posted:

I think it's time to show these Clan bastards my new shield. Someone gank that Fire Moth behind me, I'm stepping onto 0818, and pouring it on at that Dire Wolf with my shields on.
I think we should probably pull back for now - we lost the forward woods. If you stand out in the open to shoot at the Dire Wolf, that means it and everything else with it can unload on you.

LeschNyhan posted:

The dice giveth and the dice taketh away.

Here is a map with the movement ranges of the Elementals so you can plan around it, as well as my own preferred moves. Team, if you are ending movement in any of the threat areas in the breach, let me, AAAAA, or one of the Nyxes know so we can cover you and hurt them before they try to swarm you. AAAAA I just noticed you're also running hot so I'll try to stay close to you and give you cover as well.

I feel like we want to contract back on the second woods where the Fire Moth is now and work towards getting back in cover before the main force punches through. Hopefully the battle armor follows and we can take it out in the open. I need a turn to cool off a bit so I'll be shooting both AP Gauss at the Ironholds to finish them, but one plasma rifle and the SRMs at whatever battle armor I can hit, or failing that one of the 'Mechs.
Thanks for doing this, I have added it to Turn 6 of The Google Doc.

My plan is to walk backwards two hexes to get away from the elementals, but I picked a really bad turn to be short one walking MP - the Fire Moth will be behind me and can unload on me with me having no move mod. One turn of not firing an LPL or Plasma Rifle will cool me back off, but I have a feeling that I am in for a world of hurt...

I am going to fire two Plasma Rifles at the elementals in hex 1319 and one LPL at the single man left in the squad of Ironholds.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I think we should probably pull back for now - we lost the forward woods. If you stand out in the open to shoot at the Dire Wolf, that means it and everything else with it can unload on you.

I should be able to get backshots with the Nyx and a knife in the back of that Daishi if I counted correctly this turn, so if you start pulling back I will make a run into the northeast buildings for cover the following turn. As long as you don't break LOS they shouldn't be willing to show their backs and give chase. You should be okay to draw back a little with three lights behind them and not have them come too much further ahead or back, as long as you make sure that you can still make LoS.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

I think the Coyote and the Rampage are in a good spot to keep enticing them forward while we try to plasma down as many Elementals as we can. They're not fast but they make our defensive terrain inhospitable, so they have to go. I like the thought of possible dropping a Dire from behind if you're up for it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Defiance Industries posted:

I should be able to get backshots with the Nyx and a knife in the back of that Daishi if I counted correctly this turn

War to the knife; knife to the hilt

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I wouldn't waste a full LPL on a single Ironhold btw. Elemental points with a single trooper remaining are an extremely small threat (Even if the Ironholds could swarm in the first place, they couldn't do so with a single active trooper). Let someone with a smaller weapon shoot at the last Ironhold.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gwaihir posted:

I wouldn't waste a full LPL on a single Ironhold btw. Elemental points with a single trooper remaining are an extremely small threat (Even if the Ironholds could swarm in the first place, they couldn't do so with a single active trooper). Let someone with a smaller weapon shoot at the last Ironhold.
I just figured that it would be a good way (with the to-hit bonus) to make it dies this round. I guess I could instead take another potshot at the Fire Moth? Or also contribute it towards shooting the other group of elementals.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

LeschNyhan posted:

I like the thought of possible dropping a Dire from behind if you're up for it.

I'd have to get really lucky on locations to drop it, but it's definitely a better move than trying to run back through the breach.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Excellent!

Not a route, Manny, but a feint.

Okay, the lights in their backfield follow Defiance's plan. The Gurkha still on our side gets Physical with the Fire Moth. Everyone else, start backing up, especially you, Paragon. I don't know how effective your whip is against Battle Armour, but you're strung out a ways away from us, and I am worried about you.

In the meantime, so I'll step up and back into 0719, pop the shield, keep up the AMS and fire at the Dire Wolf. Those poor bastards don't realize that I have them outnumbered!

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I just figured that it would be a good way (with the to-hit bonus) to make it dies this round. I guess I could instead take another potshot at the Fire Moth? Or also contribute it towards shooting the other group of elementals.

I will definitely be shooting the remaining Ironhold with at least an AP Gauss.

Also does anyone know if Fire Resistance works against plasma? It'll be good to know when the Dingo drops its load.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

I'd have to get really lucky on locations to drop it, but it's definitely a better move than trying to run back through the breach.

You also have to survive the shooting phase in point blank range of 4 head choppers. Good luck.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

dis astranagant posted:

You also have to survive the shooting phase in point blank range of 4 head choppers.

I'm going to be in short range of those PPCs unless I just want to flee, so that's a risk I have to live with.

chktshadeclaw
Feb 8, 2012
well, I guess that's what I get for not providing a backup target

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

LeschNyhan posted:

Also does anyone know if Fire Resistance works against plasma? It'll be good to know when the Dingo drops its load.

It's essentially a flamer, by the description. Does heat damage. Invented by the Capellans for better war crimes! :thumbsup:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

painedforever posted:

It's essentially a flamer, by the description. Does heat damage. Invented by the Capellans for better war crimes! :thumbsup:

Had to dig through Sarna, it still does kinetic damage, so I have no bloody idea

gently caress it, spray them with AP Gauss flechettes and let Kerensky sort them out

Sair
May 11, 2007

Think I'll try my luck putting my Gurkha behind the Fire Moth.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Sair posted:

Kill it, Sair! Kill it kill it kill it! That jerk is threatening Manny and me.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sair posted:

This sounds quite fun, yes.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

That was a decent round, despite the Golem immunity to infernos on top of their 19 HP.

1 more mech down and four dead Ironholds for some significant armor damage to two of our mediums.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 8, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just released the Roughneck's SSW files and sprites in case anyone wants to use them in a game of MegaMEK

chktshadeclaw
Feb 8, 2012
do I have LOS on 0620 from 1025? I'm on height 2 terrain, and I'm thinking of trying to light that firemoth up.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Good thing we've got a well-drilled team, what with the setup being unusually dicy (the BV isn't as lopsided as the last several missions, but this one demands victory).

NRWR forces just dropped the Clan garrison down to 505 Tons of mech, right below their own 510, but armor is starting to thin on the weakest friendly mechs, and there's still 230 hit points worth of Battle Armor left in 20 separate packages (so more like 280 points of damage assuming just 2.5 points of overkill per person). Otoh shooting every single battle armor to death is probably unnecessary, even if they play keep-away to plink at 2-3 damage (except those nasty Golems wielding an SRM-6 each).

Players landed 125 damage this round (including overkill), so they're about 2 rounds and some armor and combined arms behind the enemy in raw power, balanced by ACE.

An exceptionally even fight. PTN has, if I may speculate, been upping the difficulty a bit lately in the historically most important matches, but we haven't been feeling it thanks to good play and luck.
The good play is definitely continueing, and hopefully the luck does too!

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 9, 2018

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Question about Elementals: if a point of elementals (or whatever one squad is called) loses members, could it absorb another understrength point to reconstitute? Or would you have to run around with two half-strength squads? Would it be better to have 2 half squads vs 1 full squad?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Not in a mission, remember as long as they are for us, every turn is only ten seconds.

Battle Armor troops are very highly trained and coordinated, they can't integrate a new member who won't know the squad's cues and idiosyncrasies on the fly.

They can and do bring in new troopers afterwards, but even coming from a homogenous background like a sibko won't let them coordinate effortlessly enough to avoid getting in each others' way.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There's also a clear command hierarchy within the point as it takes casualties, so reconstituting units mid-fight runs contrary to that. It's not like lances where there's the Lieutenant in charge and everyone might be the same rank after that, there's separate rank insignia for what point you are.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yup, if you bring in two Point 2s and the point commander dies and they argue? The whole squad's as good as dead.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Like many things in the Clan system, it works pretty well within small engagements but it breaks down when you're above a star or two on your side. The strict chain of command within units always tells you who your boss is, but it leaves you pretty much unable to reorganize on the fly without pulling back and reorganizing your entire TO&E

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

painedforever posted:

Excellent!

In the meantime, so I'll step up and back into 0719, pop the shield, keep up the AMS and fire at the Dire Wolf. Those poor bastards don't realize that I have them outnumbered!

Yeah I'm gonna move on over to the hex you're in now and shoot something. I'm not sure if that something should be elementals or mechs though. Dingo Prime, maybe?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

chktshadeclaw posted:

do I have LOS on 0620 from 1025? I'm on height 2 terrain, and I'm thinking of trying to light that firemoth up.

Yes but it's got partial cover and a lot of woods bolstering its move mod. You're looking at 10s or 11s to hit not counting range or your own movement.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Thanks PTN and DI for the breakdown of Elemental squads. To my second question, would it be preferable to fight two half strength squads or one full strength? I assume one squad would do more damage (maybe?), but a second squad would be rolling another set of dice, which is almost always preferable

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

In regular play, where initiative is a factor rather than how this works, having more units is a MASSIVE advantage. Also there's no damage edge to having more suits in one point versus the same number of suits split across two. All that matters in terms of how much damage battle armor deal is how many suits are active. Four MPL Fenrirs will deal four six-point hits regardless of whether it's a full squad of four suits or four squads on their last suit.

So basically consolidating BA squads is actually counterproductive under normal rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The exception is in Leg and Swarm attacks, where having fewer suits makes them dramatically more difficult.

EDIT: also the '2' column of the cluster hits table is really bad. They get much better with 3-5.

• Locked thread