Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I’m sure if Julia Gillard had been caught having an affair the debate would be have been about privacy too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

You Am I posted:

For such a leftie city, Melbourne loves it conservative mayors.

Definitely nothing to do with businesses being electors for Melbourne city council no sir

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Solemn Sloth posted:

there are few things which better demonstrate how low the standards of australian politics are than the fact that george loving brandis is treated as some kind of intellectual heavyweight defender of liberalism
You don't say.

http://theconversation.com/george-brandis-warns-liberals-against-rise-of-populist-right-91408

quote:

George Brandis warns Liberals against rise of populist right February 7, 2018 9.30pm AEDT Author Michelle Grattan

Former attorney-general George Brandis has warned of the challenge that right-wing populism poses to the Liberal Party, in his valedictory speech to the Senate ahead of taking up the post of high commissioner in London. Brandis, a Liberal moderate, also strongly cautioned the Coalition against listening to those who said it should use national security as a political weapon against Labor, and criticised attacks on the judiciary from his own side. With Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull looking on, Brandis told the Senate that classical liberal values were under “greater challenge than at any time in my memory. Increasingly, in recent years, powerful elements of right-wing politics have abandoned both liberalism’s concern for the rights of the individual and conservatism’s respect for institutions, in favour of a belligerent, intolerant populism which shows no respect for either the rights of individual citizens or the traditional institutions which protect them.”

Brandis was attorney-general throughout the Abbott and Turnbull governments, leaving the ministry in the December reshuffle. He became increasingly outspoken as a voice of the moderate strand of the Liberal Party toward the end of his time in parliament. Within the government, he was critical of the hardline conservative Peter Dutton, now the home affairs minister. In his speech Brandis targeted “right-wing postmodernism”. “A set of attitudes which had its origin in the authoritarian mind of the left has been translated right across the political spectrum,” he said. “This presents a threat both to liberalism and conservatism, and a profound challenge to the Liberal Party as the custodian of these philosophic traditions.”

Brandis – who once set off a political storm by declaring that people had the right to be bigots – said being a liberal wasn’t easy. “It means respecting the right of people to make choices which we ourselves would not make and of which may disapprove. It means respecting the right of people to express their opinions, even though others may find those opinions offensive. It means respecting the right of people to practice their religion, even though others may find the tenets of that religion irrational. It means, in a nation of many cultures, respecting the right of people to live according to their culture, even though, to others, that culture may seem alien. It means respecting the right of everyone to marry the person they love, even though others may find their understanding of marriage confronting.”

Brandis was a prominent figure pushing for same-sex marriage, which was legislated late last year. In a pointed reference including some (unnamed) ministers who have criticised the judiciary, Brandis said he had not disguised his concerns at attacks on the institutions of the law – the courts and those who practised in them. “To attack those institutions is to attack the rule of law itself. And it is for the attorney-general always to defend the rule of law – sometimes from political colleagues who fail to understand it, or are impatient of the limitations it may impose upon executive power – because although the attorney-general is a political official, as the first law officer he has a higher duty – a duty to the law itself. It is a duty which, as my cabinet colleagues know, on several robust occasions, I have always placed above political advantage.”

Brandis also was blunt in his rejection of those who want to see the government seek to inject more partisanship into national security. He observed that eight tranches of national security legislation he had overseen were passed with opposition support after parliamentary committee scrutiny. “It was a fine example of government and parliament working hand-in-hand to protect the national interest. I have heard some powerful voices argue that the Coalition should open a political front against the Labor Party on the issue of domestic national security. I could not disagree more strongly. One of the main reasons why the government has earned the confidence of the public on national security policy is that there has never been a credible suggestion that political motives have intruded. Were it to do so, confidence not just in the government’s handling of national security, but in the agencies themselves, would be damaged and their capacity to do their work compromised. Nothing could be more irresponsible than to hazard the safety of the public by creating a confected dispute for political advantage. To his credit, the prime minister has always resisted such entreaties.”
That's how far to the right we have lurched. Basically all the way. Without actually renaming the 2nd Commando Regiment the Waffen SS it's hard to see where there is left to lurch. And for those who think that's a little harsh remember it was the ADF that did the intervention in indigenous communities and operates 'Operation Sovereign Borders'.

In news of surprise to literally nobody:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-08/closing-the-gap-review-finds-policy-effectively-abandoned-by-gov/9405100

Why even call it 'news' at this point.

Is the new A-G better or worse than the last?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-08/coalition-forced-to-water-down-proposed-foreign-interference-law/9406598?section=politics

Brandis designed that turd of a law.

Cue the clown/muppet music:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-08/cost-of-living-rising-at-concerning-pace-warns-economist/9407320?section=politics

Better economic managers than clowns in a circus.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ewe2 posted:

Andrew Elder with another blog post of interest

It's a roundup of how the MSM did/did not do journalism around Joyce and Alexander's peccadillos (yes, we somehow overlooked that yesterday).

I love it when Elder rips into the press gallery media, and this one is a ripper. The bullshit over "we have to protect Joyce's estranged wife and daughters" is a load of bullshit, as Elder mentions, when you have one of the daughters driving around Tamworth during the by-election campaign mentioning what a lying sack of poo poo her father is.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Senor Tron posted:

Much like that time the Chaser tried to walk up to John Howard with a running chainsaw and his minders were just like "...come on mate, put it down..." but didn't make a big deal, the fact that this is a thing where most people are going "meh" is one of those things I love about Australia.

Can you imagine if Mike Pence had an affair and got a staffer pregnant? It would be the scandal of the decade in the US.

It's nice to see Barnaby getting stuffed over for being a hypocritical fuckwit, but it's also nice that in this area Australia pays more attention to policies than the pollies themselves.

Australia pays no attention to policies and has a benign contempt for all politicians that manifests as indifference.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

You Am I posted:

For such a leftie city, Melbourne loves it conservative mayors.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Definitely nothing to do with businesses being electors for Melbourne city council no sir

City of Melbourne gerrymanders the bulk of St Kilda road businesses and the Alfred precinct on top of the CBD.

https://www.vec.vic.gov.au/images/maps/MelbourneMapHR.pdf

Queens Road runs parallel to the same segment of St Kilda road and is part of Port Philip because it's all hotels and apartment buildings. Punt Rd ditto runs parallel on the other side, and the far side of Punt road is Stonnington/others because it's primarily residential. If they weren't being tricky fuckers the city boundary would terminate around the Bot, but then they'd only capture lots of apartments.

I'm not sure how the side of the road is impacted by the boundary line, I believe both sides of St Kilda Road are currently CoM, but as more apartments go up along the lake-side I guarantee they'll be trying to foist the lake-side half of St Kilda Road onto Port Philip.

edit: Argument could be made they only keep Parkville because it's largely landlords running student ghettos.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

“Does (Senator Bernardi) realise a lower tax rate equals lower franking credits and less money in the hands of self-funded retirees and those saving for the future?,” Senator Hanson said.

“One Nation has already supported tax rate cuts for businesses with a turnover of up to $50 million, but I draw the line at that. What we need are incentives for businesses to invest in Australia and tax rate cuts are not the answer”…

Senator Hanson disagreed with the suggestion that failure to lower business income tax rates would render Australia uncompetitive.

“Foreign-owned multinationals don’t consider corporate income tax rates in their investment decisions, because they don’t expect to pay any tax in Australia,” she said…

lol Pauline has a better understanding of the economics of this than the treasurer.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Crikey has a massive dump on Labor factional stuff today FYI, including the proposed new internal agreement

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

lol Pauline has a better understanding of the economics of this than the treasurer.

quote:

“Foreign-owned multinationals don’t consider corporate income tax rates in their investment decisions, because they don’t expect to pay any tax in Australia,” she said…

drat :coal:

Someone had to have written that for her.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I’m actually shocked to see that coming from her. Whoever briefed her on that actually knows their poo poo

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Do Labor even have the guts to say lowering taxes is worthless when corporations don’t pay their taxes already?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Do Labor even have the guts...

I'll stop you right there.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Do Labor even have the guts to say lowering taxes is worthless when corporations don’t pay their taxes already?

Doug Cameron, Wayne Swann and whoever else is left of the ALP left say that poo poo every loving day.

Edit:

The issue is that they gave the shadow treasury to the most snivelling piece of poo poo neoliberal apologist when the most highly accoladed treasurer in recent history is sitting around on the back bench.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
They all think Swann is a silly clown.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
HOME AFFAIRS Minister Peter Dutton has choked back tears on a 2GB radio show after the father of one-punch victim Cole Miller called to thank him for deporting one of the men responsible for his son’s death.

Cole Miller, 18, died in January 2016 after being struck in an unprovoked attack.

Peter Dutton chokes back tears after talking with the father of one-punch victim Cole Miller on 2GB radio. Picture: Channel 9

His father Steve gave an emotional thank you to Dutton live on air, telling him how grateful his family was for his swift actions in having one of the men responsible, Daniel Maxwell, deported to New Zealand.

“I haven’t thanked you before but I just want you to know that we were grateful for (your) immediate action and help on that day,” Mr Miller said.

Dutton, who was visibly shaken by the call held back tears on the Ray Hadley Morning Show.

“It’s an emotional thing, it really is,” he said.

“Thanks to Steve, I’m so sorry for his family.”

Hadley ended the interview early as the minister struggled to compose himself.

“I was going to talk about some other thing but on that distressing note I think we’ll leave it there,” Hadley said.

“Obviously a very emotional Peter Dutton and a very emotional father.”

Maxwell was deported in August 2017 after pleading guilty to assault and affray.

He was given an 18-month suspended sentence.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
As long as you touch one person it was all worth it :angel:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Anidav posted:

That's pretty hosed. For an unprovoked murder.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If you assault another human in anger you should go directly to the slammer. You can learn to control your anger or life problems there. You can watch tv and cost millions of dollars, I don't care, but you should be removed from society.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JBP posted:

They all think Swann is a silly clown.

Swan is a bit of a dope.

I don’t think Bowen and Shorten are as neolib as they used to be. K “Economic Conservative” Rudd came to power promising to play nice with the right and Gillard seemed to operate with this in mind too. Obviously they were gravely mistaken.

The ones who are still there understand this which is how you get policies like the CGT/negative gearing reform.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Counterpoint:
DJ Astro Labe is a hero

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Counterpoint:
DJ Astro Labe is a hero

Crimes against reptiles carry a lesser penalty.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Anidav posted:

HOME AFFAIRS Minister Peter Dutton has choked back tears on a 2GB radio show after the father of one-punch victim Cole Miller called to thank him for deporting one of the men responsible for his son’s death.

Cole Miller, 18, died in January 2016 after being struck in an unprovoked attack.

Peter Dutton chokes back tears after talking with the father of one-punch victim Cole Miller on 2GB radio. Picture: Channel 9

His father Steve gave an emotional thank you to Dutton live on air, telling him how grateful his family was for his swift actions in having one of the men responsible, Daniel Maxwell, deported to New Zealand.

“I haven’t thanked you before but I just want you to know that we were grateful for (your) immediate action and help on that day,” Mr Miller said.

Dutton, who was visibly shaken by the call held back tears on the Ray Hadley Morning Show.

“It’s an emotional thing, it really is,” he said.

“Thanks to Steve, I’m so sorry for his family.”

Hadley ended the interview early as the minister struggled to compose himself.

“I was going to talk about some other thing but on that distressing note I think we’ll leave it there,” Hadley said.

“Obviously a very emotional Peter Dutton and a very emotional father.”

Maxwell was deported in August 2017 after pleading guilty to assault and affray.

If your potato is weeping it is definitely time to throw it away

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/willsommer/status/961361671481692162

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/willsommer/status/961360534716211200

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

It's five emails that have contract details with clients and he's hosed himself to try see them for no reason and failed

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
He nutted

quote:

Barnaby Joyce’s colleagues slam his behaviour over love child saga

BARNABY Joyce’s colleagues have hit out at his behaviour during the love child saga as the Deputy Prime Minister confessed he had failed in his marriage.

Mr Joyce said on Wednesday night he was “not proud” of the breakdown of his marriage and his affair with former staffer Vikki Campion, who is now pregnant, but he denied taxpayers’ money had been misused during their relationship.

Government MPs claim Mr Joyce’s personal situation was behind the “vindictive” pre-Christmas ministerial reshuffle that saw colleagues who he believed had been gossiping and briefing journalists about his affair were dumped or overlooked for promotion.

Others were “aghast” at his judgment last year and questioned his ability to make important decisions.
Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce’s colleagues have hit out at his behaviour during the love child saga. Picture: AAP/Lukas Coch

Mr Joyce said he dedicated himself “probably too much to my job” and that “one of the greatest failures of my life was the end of my marriage”.

“I failed, and I’m — obviously — incredibly sorry about that,” he told 7.30.

The father of four said it was “incredibly painful for everybody involved” but refused to answer questions about the affair, saying he wanted to “make sure that private matters remain private”.

Mr Joyce’s wife Natalie said she was devastated by her estranged husband’s affair after 24 years of marriage.

“I understand that this affair has been going on for many months and started when she was a paid employee,” she said.

“Naturally we also feel deceived and hurt by the actions of Barnaby and the staff member involved.”

“Our family life has had to be shared during Barnaby’s political career and it was with trust that we let campaign and office staff into our homes and into our lives.”

The Herald Sun can reveal government MPs became increasingly concerned by Mr Joyce’s behaviour as the breakup took its toll last year.

One colleague told the Herald Sun he was sometimes “irrational”, leading to strained relations between the Prime Minister’s office and Mr Joyce’s office.

“He was totally jumping at shadows and thought everyone was against him,” one colleague said on Wednesday night.

“The reality is some of us had heard the rumours but no one was going to be anything but supportive. But the longer it went on the more paranoid he became and stopped listening to advice.

“We watched the New England by-election waiting for either the story to break or for him to have a breakdown on TV. I’m not sure how he got through it.”

It is understood senior aides to Malcolm Turnbull recommended Mr Joyce “come clean” with his personal circumstances amid increased speculation, especially on social media.

Other Nationals MPs say the party was left “leaderless” for weeks, including when both Mr Joyce and former deputy Fiona Nash referred themselves to the High Court over their citizenship status.

But Mr Joyce and his senior aide Jake Smith believed a policy of not answering questions was the best approach.

BARNABY Joyce’s new love moved between several Nationals MPs’ offices last year during a period when the Deputy Prime Minister spoke of struggling with emotional turmoil.

Vikki Campion, who was the Nationals’ leader’s former media adviser, left his office in April last year.

She then took up a more senior position in the office of Resources Minister Matt Canavan, who is an ally of the Deputy Prime Minister.

Ms Campion moved out of Senator Canavan’s office after he resigned from Cabinet at the end of July, amid doubt over his citizenship status, and took up a role in the office of Nationals Whip Damian Drum, a Victorian MP.
Barnaby Joyce has left his wife and four daughters and is now expecting a child with former staffer Vikki Campion, 33.

But the former journalist at Sydney’s Daily Telegraph lost her political job when Mr Drum was appointed assistant minister to the Deputy PM during a ministerial reshuffle just before Christmas.

A spokesman confirmed her contract had ended owing to ministerial changes and she had been “subject to the same provisions as all other staff”.

Back in August — after Mr Joyce’s own citizenship problems were exposed — he spoke of being “shell-shocked”, saying he couldn’t sleep at night.

“Of course it is stressful. It would be ridiculous to say it isn’t stressful,” he said then.

“You stay awake at night. You wake up early in the morning, and you are working things over in your mind as to how this happened.”

Two months earlier, Mr Joyce had attended Canberra’s Midwinter Ball with his wife, Natalie. But several months later, on the campaign trail for the New England by-election, he confirmed he was no longer living at the family home.

In December, during the same-sex marriage debate, Mr Joyce told the House of Representatives he was separated from his wife, saying: “I don’t come to this debate pretending to be any form of saint.”

Passenger lists for RAAF VIP jets, used by government ministers, show Ms Campion travelled regularly with Mr Joyce towards the end of 2016.

Last March, Mr Joyce’s ­eldest daughter told The Australian newspaper that her ­father’s political career had caused “a horrible life and I don’t wish it upon anyone”.

“Probably the worst thing is that we haven’t spent time ­together as a family since he got elected in 2004,” she said.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n..._medium=Twitter

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Barnaby definitely fucks exclusively missionary and can't make eye contact

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pretty sure Barnaby fucks from behind like bush Tony Soprano.

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°
https://twitter.com/SydneyLive2GB/status/961470597296398336

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
his dick looks like a raspberry on the cusp of overripe

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

What was the apology? Also what kind of oval office do you have to be to feel like you gotta apologise for anything to a war criminal

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

The Peccadillo posted:

What was the apology? Also what kind of oval office do you have to be to feel like you gotta apologise for anything to a war criminal

https://twitter.com/Paul_Karp/status/961458211470557184

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
yeah that's the apology that mum & dad forced you to make, complete with eyeroll

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

lmao, and I didn't know Porter was AG now which makes me want to die

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Should probably replace the OP and all future OPs with details for Lifeline tbh.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
loving LOL

https://twitter.com/GrogsGamut/status/961412204514893824

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-08/linc-energy-trial-hears-company-told-workers-drink-milk/9410180

quote:

Workers at an underground coal gasification plant on Queensland's Western Darling Downs were told to drink milk and eat yoghurt to protect their stomachs from acid, a court has heard.
The gas company has pleaded not guilty to five counts of causing serious environmental harm from its underground coal gasification operations between 2007 and 2013 in Chinchilla.
The corporation is not defending itself as it is in liquidation so there is no-one in the dock or at the bar table representing the defence.
A witness statement by former gas operator Timothy Ford was read to the court, which he prepared in 2015 before his death.
The court was not told how Mr Ford died.
He said the gas burnt his eyes and nose and he would need to leave the plant after work to get fresh air because it made him feel sick.
"We were told to drink milk in the mornings and at the start of shift… we were also told to eat yoghurt," he said.
"The purpose of this was to line our guts so the acid wouldn't burn our guts.
"We were not allowed to drink the tank water and were given bottled water."
Mr Ford said he always felt lethargic, suffered infections and had shortness of breath.
"During my time at the Linc site, would be the sickest I have been," he said.
"It is my belief that workplace was causing my sickness.
"I strongly feel that the Linc site was not being run properly due to failures of the wells and gas releases."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-20/linc-qld-plant-built-with-unsafe-and-illegal-equipment:-orford/7509282

quote:

Linc Energy's underground coal gasification plant in Queensland was built using cheap, unsafe and illegal equipment, a former engineer at the company claims.

The experienced mechanical engineer oversaw the procurement of above-ground equipment including high-pressure reactor vessels from South Africa and the US in late 2007 as activity at the experimental plant ramped up.
He told investigators none of the equipment had complied with Australian standards. But he said that after he complained and refused to install it, Linc Energy had sacked him.
"Everything was backyard built ... in a completely reckless manner that showed no regard for any engineering expertise that you'd need to put into a petroleum plant," Mr Orford told investigators in his statement.
"It was just a piece of stuff put together by amateurs. Even things like walkways and ladders didn't comply with Australian standards. Everything you looked at was like that, it was non-compliant or wrong."
Mr Orford said he had been particularly concerned about the main gas-to-liquids reactor at the plant, which operates at more than 400 times atmospheric pressure and is designed to contain explosive and toxic gases and liquids including hydrogen and carbon monoxide.
"I could see overt porosity in the welds of the main pressure containment area. I asked the fabricator for records ... but there were none," he told investigators.
"Without those records, the equipment could not be legally installed."
'Linc tried to patch these holes up with rags, bits of gaffer tape'
Mr Orford complained to Linc's senior management, but in January 2008 he was sacked. By then, he said, Linc had found other engineers who were willing to install the equipment.
Mr Orford said the company had also ignored a civil engineer's instructions and laid the concrete slab supporting the plant without allowing for the unstable soil underneath.
"You can't build a petroleum plant on an unstable base and so right from the outset we've got a combination of unqualified, unsupported, inappropriate, unserviceable foundations on top of which I was asked to bolt a 20 metre tower with a high temperature, high pressure reactor which was also not compliant."

http://www.afr.com/news/politics/linc-energy-founder-peter-bond-blames-government-for-fall-20160525-gp3k1o

quote:

"Why did I bother? If you told me at the start I wouldn't have bothered – 10 years of my life and $200 million I could have thrown elsewhere, you idiots," Bond said in an interview with The AFR Weekend.
"They think entrepreneurs grow on trees – go and find them. I get asked every week to invest in projects in Queensland and I'm not doing any of them. I'm based here now but I'm moving. I'm done."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/James_Jeffrey/status/961506950281273344

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
So Brandis is gone for like 8 hours and Dutton is already putting the boots in on a perceived slight against the right wingers in his valedictory speech. What a petty desiree, can't even be civil to a member of his own party. Why is it that these right faction dickheads spout(or sprout I suppose in this case) freedom of speech values and then as soon as they get called out on anything they throw their toys out the pram?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That's so unbelievably incorrect I don't even know where to start.

Wasn't Sheridan The Australian's foreign editor?

• Locked thread