Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Katt posted:

The school cancelled the show because the students started a protest demanding a minority actress for the role.

Cancelled the show rather than give it to a person of color, by the way, or change the director of the show to one who would. They could've just recast it, but they instead just canned the whole production.

The top 3 results for this thing are from Fox News, Breitbart, and The Daily Mail, which should tell you something. Here's an article on it from the Ithaca Journal, a local paper. They say that their intent was never to get the play cancelled, just to either get a different actress cast, or to replace the director. The school also apparently considered changing the show, which really wouldn't have solved the core problem anyway, but didn't have the time.
http://www.ithacajournal.com/story/...tin/1074212001/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

"Maddi, who is African-American. "And it shows you that, if you can’t get the parts that are written for you,""

Noted African-American, Esmeralda.

Byzantine has a new favorite as of 16:29 on Feb 7, 2018

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Byzantine posted:

"Maddi, who is African-American. "And it shows you that, if you can’t get the parts that are written for you,""

You can't prove that she didn't go back in time and inspire Victor Hugo, OK

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

SpacePig posted:

Cancelled the show rather than give it to a person of color, by the way, or change the director of the show to one who would. They could've just recast it, but they instead just canned the whole production.

The top 3 results for this thing are from Fox News, Breitbart, and The Daily Mail, which should tell you something. Here's an article on it from the Ithaca Journal, a local paper. They say that their intent was never to get the play cancelled, just to either get a different actress cast, or to replace the director. The school also apparently considered changing the show, which really wouldn't have solved the core problem anyway, but didn't have the time.
http://www.ithacajournal.com/story/...tin/1074212001/

Sounds like the role's historically gone to black actresses (at least in the professional version), so the controversy makes a little more sense.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SpacePig posted:

How would that be fair to the kid that won the part and had been memorizing her lines? She's apparently the best singer/dancer/actor they have, does she just sit this one out? Or does she get one of the smaller parts, and the kid who had that part gets bumped out of the play instead?

Not getting the part in the first place would have been fine, but there certainly would have been counter protests if a white kid got bumped for being white. The minority student that landed part would have had a target on her back as the focus of the backlash. The whole situation would have been toxic as hell.

Canceling the production leaves everyone unsatisfied, but probably seemed like the safer option than either going ahead or recasting the play.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Who gives a poo poo

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

mods please change my name to Hoarney Boanars tia

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Funny how regressive "news" outlets haven't reported that various orchestras been doing blind auditions for a while and and have in fact reduced the gender and race gap.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah tell me more

not

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

PhazonLink posted:

Funny how regressive "news" outlets haven't reported that various orchestras been doing blind auditions for a while and and have in fact reduced the gender and race gap.

Pretty sure Breitbart and Fox News both did extensive coverage of that last week.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

"NCAA president Mark Emmert was alerted to Michigan State sexual assault reports in 2010"

So if a woman is too afraid to speak up, she's a victim, but if a man is too afraid to speak up, he's an evil corrupt corporate pedophile?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Welcome back LoB.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

You are all missing the point! The answer is 0,1,0/1. Our purpose is to love; which is the true understanding of an emotion (an experience) which there are infinite of. We are to experience these infinite emotions both independently and as a a group (we are co-dependent). That which holds back one, holds back the sum (golden rule). WE MULTIPLE in 3's. 1 Masculine, 0 feminine, 0/1 the culmination of both. There are infinite multiple axes of this fundamental basis. Space, time, mass, consciousness- etc. All originate on this same trinary base and multiple by 3. Its all there in black and white if you pay attention to it. They rub it in your face on tv, on your pc, how you run your everyday life (symbols). You are all missing the point, its right there; smell the roses and wake up. Your being manipulated; all technology/magick is based on 2 factors. Influence and actuation. The influence on an object and the desired outcome. Traffic symbols, logic boards, language, symbols. Its all cut from the same cloth. Recognize the pattern and overcome.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Trump bald

quote:

He doesn't care he's balding. He looks loving good for 70, and if he were really that concerned it isn't as though he couldn't afford a couple rounds of hair plugs...although I suppose the other people with nothing to do except live through the Internet will at some point blow up and crop a photo to look for scars in his scalp. Lost all faith in fellow man years ago, I'm ashamed to be an American because of our current president, but because of the majority of our citizens. What is happening to the generations as time goes on?

quote:

He is very fair skinned of course a gust of wind will show his scalp... it also shows it's real
I don't think they know what "fair-skinned" means.

quote:

It's really not fair that this is getting so many views. I think it's real hair, just combed in an odd way. Poor guy. He never makes fun of how anyone else looks yet others always do it to him.

quote:

That doesn't make him vain. He is just that much more adorable for being human. Of course he's going to put his best foot forward. He loves America. He is the first President we have had in a long time who actually loves our country and doesn't work for our enemies. God Bless President Trump. He has beautiful hair. We love him and we love his hair. It's his trademark. He is awesome.

This is what happens when schools aren't allowed to hit students who don't pay attention in composition class.

quote:

I find it so drat hilarious all the news reporters got to do is worry about somebody's drat hair blowing in the wind, look at that be telling how many people getting killed around the world all they worried about somebody drat hair blowing in the wind, but when you're the most famous president in the world and going to be the best president in the world nobody going to be no better than you then they got to talk about you that's the way they do me since I'm the best and I'm not like the rest people worldwide talk about me but oh well maybe the best what can I say

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Byzantine posted:

That show is based on the Disney version, where Esmeralda is very visibly not a white person. Kids were within their rights to speak out against it, especially if people of color auditioned for the role. And the school had the right to cancel it, though it seems like an overreaction to cover their rear end and just end the whole debate.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

trickybiscuits posted:

This is what happens when schools aren't allowed to hit students who don't pay attention in composition class.

I tried to read that sentence four times and my eyes just kept skidding off it.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Hmm yes.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Byzantine posted:

Noted lily-white Caucasian princess, Esmeralda

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

One actually happened, for starters.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
So here in Lincoln, NE at UNL we have Daniel Kleve the self professed "most active white nationalist in Nebraska" who is in photos assaulting people in Charlottesville, on Youtube proclaiming that he loves violence, and doing various other despicable poo poo.

Here's a video about Dan Kleve:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpLqxJok8ek

Fellow students have been beating school administration over the head with this for months trying to get this rear end in a top hat removed, and last night because it has finally started to gain a small amount of national attention, the university releases this statement.

Basically the most lukewarm bullshit they could come up with to say they aren't doing anything. All from the university that fired a graduate TA last semester because she flipped off a conservative student.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

SpacePig posted:

The top 3 results for this thing are from Fox News, Breitbart, and The Daily Mail, which should tell you something.

it was tweeted by Michelle Malkin, which already told everyone who's not a braindead shitlord everything they needed to know about it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

trickybiscuits posted:

“Poor guy. He never makes fun of how anyone else looks yet others always do it to him.”

How loving far into the sand is your loving head to believe this poo poo. We live in an age where everything he says is recorded forever, and everything he says is lovely.

loving... ugh.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Noted lily-white Caucasian princess, Esmeralda
lol what do you think french rroma look like mate

(Hint: In the US they'd be ~white~ only because Latino is only for Spanish/Portugese speakers)

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Jesus Christ.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Frances E Dec transitioned, I see. :v:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Deceitful Penguin posted:

(Hint: In the US they'd be ~white~ only because Latino is only for Spanish/Portugese speakers)

There’s a lot to unpack here but I think I’d rather just tape the box shut again and slide it out onto the porch for Salvation Army to pick up.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I don't think poorly of someone with cancer. I don't think poorly of someone with autism. I don't think poorly of someone with schizophrenia. I don't poorly of someone with a foot fetish. With a mommy fetish. Etc. I don't see why I'd think poorly of someone with a child fetish.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I don't think poorly of someone with cancer. I don't think poorly of someone with autism. I don't think poorly of someone with schizophrenia. I don't poorly of someone with a foot fetish. With a mommy fetish. Etc. I don't see why I'd think poorly of someone with a child fetish.

I absolutely think poorly of people with foot fetishes.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'm the missing quotation mark and typo on "transwomen".

Also I'm not what to call this, the Reverse Stupid Sexy Flanders(ette) Syndrome?

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

That show is based on the Disney version, where Esmeralda is very visibly not a white person. Kids were within their rights to speak out against it, especially if people of color auditioned for the role. And the school had the right to cancel it, though it seems like an overreaction to cover their rear end and just end the whole debate.

the african-american student wasn't a romani though, so what are you complaining about

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Am I the only person who remembered how Esmeralda's whole thing in that movie was wanting justice for her (minority) people? Or are people just being willfully obtuse as to why you'd maybe want to cast a minority in that role?

This one's tame, but it amused me. My aunt managed to confuse a ton of her Facebook friends by sharing an old post. Context: He's on a second round of chemo. The post being shared was from his first. I am making this clear here because of the results.

You wanna know how many confused old people came up to them, congratulating him on ending his chemo when it has absolutely not ended? A church full of them.

Turns out old people aren't great at Facebook and may ignore or skim the first part and only read the part that's with the photo at the bottom there.

Good job, aunt.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

They absolutely would not be considered white in the US. The Roma are one of the most racially oppressed groups in Europe, we have segregated schools in Eastern Europe who do not lets Roma children sit near their white ones. The US is all about racial segregation and suppression so it's unbelievable they would treat gypsies as white.

I could see how you could reformat the story and make Esmeralda from a trailer-park or something and make her white. But that doesn't seem to be what they were doing with their story. It's one of those ones where the characters race plays into her social standing and therefor what happens to her. I could see why people would be upset at casting a white girl in that role, the most beautiful Gypsy in all of Paris is in fact a white girl is not a great message.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Aramoro posted:

They absolutely would not be considered white in the US. The Roma are one of the most racially oppressed groups in Europe, we have segregated schools in Eastern Europe who do not lets Roma children sit near their white ones. The US is all about racial segregation and suppression so it's unbelievable they would treat gypsies as white.

The US doesn't really have that much baggage wrt Roma, that's more of a Europe thing. It's hard to believe, but most Americans really don't care about Roma one way or the other. I'm actually more surprised they listed Esmeralda as Romani instead of saying Gypsy, I've met a lot of people who never even realized that was a slur and not the mame of the ethnic group.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Aramoro posted:

I could see how you could reformat the story and make Esmeralda from a trailer-park or something and make her white. But that doesn't seem to be what they were doing with their story. It's one of those ones where the characters race plays into her social standing and therefor what happens to her. I could see why people would be upset at casting a white girl in that role, the most beautiful Gypsy in all of Paris is in fact a white girl is not a great message.

Over in Kosovo, it was one of the few things that the Serbs and Albanians could agree on: gently caress the Roma, all the time. The Roma have their own village, which gets protection from the KSF, but violence and arson are rampant as gently caress there to the point that Roma wrote the place off as a trap and avoided it.

I once heard a 'true story' from our Serb terp that he saw a Roma father send his children out to beg, then when they didn't get enough, he broke one of their legs so they could get more sympathy. I called his rear end out on it. We didn't speak for the last few months of my time there.

The hate is strong.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Don Gato posted:

The US doesn't really have that much baggage wrt Roma, that's more of a Europe thing. It's hard to believe, but most Americans really don't care about Roma one way or the other. I'm actually more surprised they listed Esmeralda as Romani instead of saying Gypsy, I've met a lot of people who never even realized that was a slur and not the mame of the ethnic group.

And yet when someone outside the US paints their face black...

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Lottery of Babylon posted:

:staredog: :yikes:

I know what a LoB post is

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
This isn't really an idiots on social media thing but I'm not sure where else I'd post this, I just saw it and was all "ewww"

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Febreze.

"Old man sweat" is listed on the back of the bottle.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is "30 year-old creepy tabletop gamer man sweat" listed too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/rewindthefilth/status/961307897094463489