Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
loving hardcore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

looks like he took some with him

e: maybe? dunno this poo poo is grainy as gently caress

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 4, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I wonder how many Russian agents bought SA accounts just to stalk Brown Moses here. Gotta be at least one.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Crazycryodude posted:

I wonder how many Russian agents bought SA accounts just to stalk Brown Moses here. Gotta be at least one.

пожалуйста

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Poor bastard. I hope he took a few with him.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Naked Bear posted:

Poor bastard. I hope he took a few with him.

Looks like he has a KDR of 5/1 right there, give or take whatever he racked up bombing hospitals in Aleppo and poo poo.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I would be surprised if every guy who hit the deck when he detonated himself is as dead as he is.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

in any case a dead russian is a good russian

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5Qs8dHthqM

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

According to the reddit post he yells "This is for my boys!" before detonating

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

:black101: approved.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

That’s rad as gently caress.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Pulling one put for my homies.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Comments for that vid.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I can admire the way he died as well as appreciate the fact he's also very dead and not rocketing civilian neighborhoods anymore. Because thats apparently what he was doing prior to getting hit with a missile and being like "oh poo poo where's my plane?!?!"

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
when you're shot down and bleeding on Syria's plains
Abu Hajar will cut up what remains
so pull out the pin and blow out your brains
and go to your god like a soldier

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Macbeth Act 1 Scene 4 posted:

A deep repentance: nothing in his life
Became him like the leaving it; he died
As one that had been studied in his death
To throw away the dearest thing he owed,
As 'twere a careless trifle.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Richard Bong posted:

That’s rad as gently caress.

SUCK MY DICK FROM THE BACK
*tries to pull pin with teeth*
*break 4 teeth and scream*

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

large hands posted:

when you're shot down and bleeding on Syria's plains
Abu Hajar will cut up what remains
so pull out the pin and blow out your brains
and go to your god like a soldier

Nice

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Our latest open source investigation technique, using blood stains on satellite imagery to geolocate mass executions:

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/960979000733716480
https://twitter.com/iBRABO_com/status/955880592993935360

I think Bellingcat may have been the first group to do this with the Werfalli executions in Libya.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

Brown Moses posted:

Our latest open source investigation technique, using blood stains on satellite imagery to geolocate mass executions
You're doing a lot of cool work, I'm very pleased to see how far this has progressed in the last years. OSINT and IMINT combined like this is really cool to see, and definately a direction I would have liked to head in if I had stayed in the IC.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Seriously, man. You are incredible, and doing fantastic work.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Absolutely. And the occasional visits to GIP are definitely appreciated.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
My dude that is so loving cool.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The most satisfying thing about the work we do is how many organisations are now interested in applying open source investigation to their own work. I've met with all sort of justice and accountability organisations, international courts, police from across the world, NGOs, and universities who want to do this kind of work and apply it to their own fields of interest. Our big project at the moment is working with the Syrian Archive on archiving content from the Syrian conflict, and making it searchable by organisations like the ICC and IIIM on Syria to aid their investigations, as we can't rely on social media companies keeping that content online. Only last year we saw half a million YouTube videos from groups in Syria deleted as YouTube tried to get rid of extremist content and ended up with lots of false positives. We were able to get the vast majority restored, but we still realised we have think seriously about how this material is preserved long term. Our next step is to implement it with other organisations, then implement it with another conflict, likely Yemen. While everyone was busy funding on the ground documentation in Syria, no-one really thought seriously about how that material could be archived and made useful for international bodies like the ICC, so we're trying to solve that problem now, so it can be applied to future conflicts without having to take 6 years of war to figure this stuff out.

I'd like to discuss this stuff in more detail, but I've so many loony trolls who have obsessed over me for the last 6 years who end up harassing any organisation I work with I tend not to do that online. The Bellingcat team are currently being filmed for a feature length documentary coming out at the end of the year, so there will be lots of stuff I haven't talked about yet in there, and they'll have been filming us for 2 years by the time its out, so there should be at least something interesting in there.

Anyway, actual content for this thread. We've started doing projects with Forensic Architecture, where they take material we've gathered and turn it into 3D models to explain the evidence. This is probably the best way to display all the information we piece together about incidents, making it much more accessible than photos and maps with coloured boxes all over them.

The following video is based on work I did investigating the bombing of M2 hospital in Aleppo for the Atlantic Council report Breaking Aleppo. I had received dozens of photos and videos of the hospital, both inside and outside, from about a dozen different incidents of the hospital being damaged by bombing. The problem was, how could we prove the photos and videos inside the hospital were actually taken in M2 hospital? When a video or photograph is taken outside we can use satellite imagery or other images to geolocate it, but inside a building that is impossible, unless there's an view through a window, .

What I did is I took all those images and videos from the inside of the hospital, and started to piece them all together like a jigsaw puzzle, so I could show all the pieces were connected, and some of those pieces led to views of the outside of the building which could be geolocated, so even though 99% of the images couldn't geolocated by themselves, the 1% of geolocated images I could prove were connected to the other 99% confirmed the images were from M2 hospital:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CJ-KKLzyBU

We also examined the bombing of Al Jinah mosque in Syria, which was blamed on US forces, who at first claimed they hadn't bombed a mosque, but an senior Al Qaeda meeting. We worked with Human Rights Watch and Forensic Architecture on this one, and there were two key things we had to establish. One, that it was a functioning mosque, and two, the part of the building bombed was part of the mosque building, not a separate structure on the side of a mosque.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOyihqEOfYA

After we released our reports the Pentagon did finally admit it was a mosque, but stuck with their story it was an Al-Qaeda meeting, and only one civilian died, even though our research didn't find a single piece of evidence to show Al-Qaeda was anywhere near it, and there were many more civilians killed. They gave a slightly maddening press conference about it, which AirWars transcribed. It should be noted that if it wasn't for the AirWars transcription we wouldn't have known anything the was said in that press conference, because it was barely reported and nothing was released to the media about what was discussed.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/WrathYE/status/962422306529316864

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
It doesn't loving end, jesus :stare:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

No idea who that guy is, what side he's on if any but he's brave as hell and I'm rooting for him.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

this is a perfect candidate for Celine Dion - My Heart Will Go On

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
What a motivator

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I think that was a Houthi fighter being shot at by Saudi forces or their proxies, and if that's any indication of their marksmanship, no loving wonder this war has dragged on so long. :stonk:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's me shooting in pubg, every time.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Godholio posted:

That's me shooting in pubg, every time.

I just posted that to my Slack with my video game buddies and made the same joke.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

What kinda medal would you get for that in the army?

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Syncopated posted:

What kinda medal would you get for that in the army?

Probably some kind of reprimand for filming yourself missing that many shots, at least until a Marine kicks the next puppy off a cliff/pisses on the next corpse.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
And if your the dude lugging that guy around you get a dishonorable for not having a hat on.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Where’s his PT belt.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Doesn't even look like he thought about setting him down and just running even though his friend may have been dead, that's pretty admirable.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
My friend pointed out that maybe they're not exactly aiming to hit him but they gotta look like they're trying for some officer.

On the other hand the Saudis are basically the definition of evil+incompetent so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sen8Tn8CBA4