Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Unreal_One posted:

Why would they courtesy name just one dude?

Dunno. Everything in Chinese that I've seen has called him that rather than Zhao Yun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

PureRok posted:

Definitely going to be playing in Chinese.

The novelty of having Chinese as an option is neat and all, but after playing the likes of WO3 and SW4, I'll take even poor English voice acting every time. I hate missing important messages because I'm more focused on fighting than reading.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

How close is the voice acting to 1300 era Chinese, or 200 Chinese? Authenticity is paramount to me in Musou.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Apparently review copies of the PC port are terribly optimized.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

lurksion posted:

So a standard TK port then?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Achernar posted:

No, their standard PC ports are often still playable. What I've just heard seemed worse than that (at least on a laptop). That said, there is a day one patch apparently coming out. No idea if that will fix performance.

They've been patching some of their games lately, but we'll just have to see what happens.

wielder fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 6, 2018

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

lurksion posted:

Achernar posted:

Most of their ports run decently.
In fact all the recent Warriors-like games ran totally fine on PC with the except of Samurai Warriors: Spirits of Sanada which was completely loving unplayable unless you like cinematic 30 fps gaming.

I really hope that this isn't yet another Spirits of Sanada situation here.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I recently got a Switch. Which is recommended between the Fire Emblem and Hyrule musous? I see they’re going to release an updated Hyrule version soon so I don’t mind waiting.

I don’t have a particular fondness for either IP over the other.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Most of their ports run decently.
In fact all the recent Warriors-like games ran totally fine on PC with the except of Samurai Warriors: Spirits of Sanada which was completely loving unplayable unless you like cinematic 30 fps gaming.

I really hope that this isn't yet another Spirits of Sanada situation here.

30 fps is less than ideal but "unplayable" seems pretty harsh if that's indeed where the game was at.

FastestGunAlive posted:

I recently got a Switch. Which is recommended between the Fire Emblem and Hyrule musous? I see they’re going to release an updated Hyrule version soon so I don’t mind waiting.

On the one hand Zelda has a lot more character variety, but on the other hand it has giant monsters which are maybe the worst musou mechanic I've ever seen. Not that I've played all or even most of them...

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

30 fps is less than ideal but "unplayable" seems pretty harsh if that's indeed where the game was at.

I could not for the life of me squeeze out 1080p/60 fps from that game on my mid-end gaming rig, no matter how much I lowered the graphics settings.
I cannot think of even a single other game where that was the case.

Even all of the incredibly unoptimized Early Access survival game trash on Steam can be persuaded to run at 1080p/60 one way or another but not Spirit of Sanada.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

FastestGunAlive posted:

How do you feel about menus

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

wielder posted:

What I've just heard seemed worse than that (at least on a laptop).

Well then that information is worthless, because if you're playing games on a laptop then that's your first mistake.

Edit: No offense to people who play on laptops, but most people I see complaining of performance issues on other forums (mostly Steam forums) are people playing on laptops and always having issue with their "m"-versions of video cards.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
What's wrong with them? I mean, I had trouble running something from GOG because it said I didn't have a video card when I supposedly do, so I'm actually curious here.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Games tend to have a tendency to get confused since laptops have two graphics cards, the one integrated in their motherboard and then whatever dedicated graphics card is in there. One of the most common things to happen first is the game will default to the integrated one, so you always have to manually set it that it'll use your dedicated one. Koei pc games will always default to the integrated one, but I've seen plenty of other games default to the integrated one too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FastestGunAlive posted:

Hyrule is a better game unless you really love characters from the last three FE games but nothing older. The Switch version will have an insane amount of content that will last you a million hours if you're insane and try to do everything. The big boss enemies are kind annoying but nothing compared to some of the insanely lovely boss characters in other Musou games.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Does DW9 not have a PS4 preload-preorder not seeing it on the store.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fe warriors has some neat ideas but there's maybe eleven movesets in the game compared to the like 60 that'll be in the hyrule warriors re-release. fe warriors will probably be cool when they make an fe warriors 2 tho

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sakurazuka posted:

Hyrule is a better game unless you really love characters from the last three FE games but nothing older. The Switch version will have an insane amount of content that will last you a million hours if you're insane and try to do everything. The big boss enemies are kind annoying but nothing compared to some of the insanely lovely boss characters in other Musou games.

Fi and The Imprisoned are specifically keeping me from purchasing that game for a 3rd time.

And really, as cloned as FEW characters get, there are characters in HW that I just wish were clones because they're so unfun. Any villain that isn't Volga or Ganondorf is just awful, and the entire Wind Waker cast is a slog. Darunia is a chore to use. Ruto has, like, two good moves.

And Adventure Mode *forces* some of the these characters on you in uphill situations and still expects you to get A's. I'll take a Marth/Celica tag team over nearly anyone in HW, and hell, Lyndis is more fun than the cast of HW and everyone else in FEW combined.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ghirahim was my favorite character in Hyrule Warriors what the heck

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Ghirahim was my favorite character in Hyrule Warriors what the heck

I loved Wizzro. Laser beams for years.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only thing I hated was Zelda's baton weapon and that was just because I sucked at it

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Takoluka posted:

Fi and The Imprisoned are specifically keeping me from purchasing that game for a 3rd time.

And really, as cloned as FEW characters get, there are characters in HW that I just wish were clones because they're so unfun. Any villain that isn't Volga or Ganondorf is just awful, and the entire Wind Waker cast is a slog. Darunia is a chore to use. Ruto has, like, two good moves.

And Adventure Mode *forces* some of the these characters on you in uphill situations and still expects you to get A's. I'll take a Marth/Celica tag team over nearly anyone in HW, and hell, Lyndis is more fun than the cast of HW and everyone else in FEW combined.

That's not fair. Omega force can't help it if Lyndis is incredibly rad.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Thanks for the answers, some good details in there. I’ll start off with Hyrule

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

FastestGunAlive posted:

Thanks for the answers, some good details in there. I’ll start off with Hyrule

As much hell as I give it, I will pretty much buy any Musou game. They are my favorite games ever, and prior to FEW (which I still say has the best mechanics and partner AI in Musou history), I considered Hyrule Warriors the absolute pinnacle of the Musou system upon release and played it into oblivion, following it up with Legends on 3DS and playing that like crazy too. It is a great game and is definitely one of those titles that you probably will not finish because of a combination of massive content quantity and eventual tedious grind. Even at full price, you will get your money's worth, but there are a few things you will need to know that will help make things easier for you out of the gate.

Story (Legend) Mode is straight-forward, and the problems I have with the game do not stem from it. It's a fantastic experience, and Lana is very good.

Adventure Mode first map is a big copy of the Zelda 1 map with each tile representing a battle. In this mode, you will unlock map items that can be used on the main map menu to unlock mission rewards. For instance, a map might have a wall you can use a bomb on, and doing so will unlock a mission reward you can access upon clearing that battle. These map unlocks are tied directly to the locations and required items from the original Zelda 1 on NES. If there was a statue or rock that could be moved in the NES version to reveal something, using a Power Bracelet item on that map sprite will move it in Hyrule Warriors, unlocking that mission reward. You'll understand when you see it, but save yourself the headache of using the hint items and just cheese it with a map guide.

The game also has an element system. The reason I have issues with the villains is because most of them are Dark element, and a number of maps that you're forced to use them on feature Dark element enemies. The only way to really deal with them for guaranteed A ranks (which are required for progression and unlocks for most maps) is to grind and out-level them. I specifically hacked my 3DS just to avoid these problems, and it was a much better experience.

But yeah, beyond that, HW owns. You'll enjoy it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Any word on Hyrule Warriors ever coming to the PC? I'm assuming that since it's a Nintendo property that it's pretty much a no go?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol no

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Deakul posted:

Any word on Hyrule Warriors ever coming to the PC? I'm assuming that since it's a Nintendo property that it's pretty much a no go?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Deakul posted:

In a year or so CEMU might be able to run it properly.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Just buy a Switch.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Deakul posted:

It should be announced around the time Bayonetta 2 & 3 get pc ports.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Max Wilco posted:

Found another video that shows off some more of the voicework: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pHiDDi4sbQ

Lu Bu sounds...off.
He sounds like Cao Pi.

Anyhow, just spotted a listing at GMG, I'm not really tempted at that price point.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/961254338080292864?s=17

DLC Pack 2 info for the two other people who like FE Warriors

Navarre is almost definitely a Lyn clone, Minerva and Linde shouldn't be clones of Camilla and Robin, but who knows. Marth gets a nice tux

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

kissekatt posted:

He sounds like Cao Pi.

Anyhow, just spotted a listing at GMG, I'm not really tempted at that price point.

Yeah, that's what really bugs me about it. The DW3-era dubs at least understood that Lu Bu should have the voice of a big, hulking, dumb guy. The voice he has in that video does seem more appropriate to Cao Pi or someone like him.

The only other voice that stands out is Dong Zhou's. It sould like that actor's trying to do a John DiMaggio impression.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DW9 English Lu Bu sounds way too tame, compared to DW8 where the VA was constantly growling.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Jack Trades posted:

DW9 English Lu Bu sounds way too tame, compared to DW8 where the VA was constantly growling.

To be fair, out-voicing Jamison Price is tough even if you know what you're doing.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImtpiHWI1xk

The only way this could be worse is if someone immediately came over and made a 'The Cake is a Lie joke.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Feb 8, 2018

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

God loving drat it the English voicework is deplorable and every time I hear it just makes me miserable. It's not even entertainingly stupid like in DW3, it's just dull and lifeless. Much like the HUD, now that I think about it.

Max Wilco posted:

The only way this could be worse is if someone immediately came over and made a 'The Cake is a Lie joke.

Jesus loving Christ!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

I wonder if it's the translators that are responsible for that or the developers.

Now that I think about it, is Elder Scrolls even a thing in Japan?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Japan loved Skyrim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jack Trades posted:

Now that I think about it, is Elder Scrolls even a thing in Japan?

Of course it is. Skyrim in particular and the 3D Fallouts did really well over there.