Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
talked to thousands of conservative students at the tpusa event today *picture of 40 people*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Agean90 posted:

and now for the latest episode of "everyone hates charlie"

https://twitter.com/charliekirk11/status/961335442992803840

what a dipshit

"conservatives always seem to fare poorly in university-level social science; must be because of a sinister cabal of marxist professors" is last-gen conservative thinking, the new thing is asserting that sociology, history, political science, economics, and philosophy are just made up

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Btw, this is a weird joke:

https://twitter.com/DudeSlater/status/960908032224972803

From what I've seen on the alt-right, Vice is one of their most hated news outlets.
but why

anytime they had nazis on they've been treated with kid gloves

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
The Charlottesville vice episode is one of the most damning pieces on the alt-right that's been made. It clearly shows that the white supremacists are ready to be violent whenever they think the time is right, and it paints them as desperate manchildren.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/961461529555210240
:females:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 30 days!)

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

The Charlottesville vice episode is one of the most damning pieces on the alt-right that's been made. It clearly shows that the white supremacists are ready to be violent whenever they think the time is right, and it paints them as desperate manchildren.

If it wasn't for the car attack that would've just been another human interest piece. I mean, no poo poo it paints them in a damning light - because the way events unfolded there was no other way they could present it.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Cantwell talking a big game in it, followed up with his blubbering in the Crying Nazi video, was an excellent combination. The opinion in the alt-right generally was that his interview with Vice was a disaster. The Yahoo News article on the TWP, and the New York Times article on Eli Mosley, are also really good. Vice was also the main outlet covering the Pepe creator going after people for copyright infringement, which helped stamp down on that.

There's an attitude among the antifas that borders on opposing any media coverage at all of these groups. I think part of that is a reaction to these irresponsible articles that glamorized Richard Spencer, but that is a reactionary position.

The most irresponsible media coverage IMO is when the networks (often the ones with three-letter acronyms) pay Nazi groups for coverage, because a lot of these groups won't talk to journalists unless they pay. Also, local newspapers and local T.V. news that report on racist flyers and such. I think the papers and networks should do a total blackout on that kind of coverage.

--

Some explanation:

The perps in flyer campaigns are typically small groups or even individuals that deliberately try to rile up the targeted community and to get in the news. Then once their flyers get in the news, the local community will often assemble and hold crash meetings on the looming Nazi threat, and will bring in the cops.

The cops then say "we are looking for the perpetrators and we encourage citizens to report any suspicious activity," which they have to do to calm things down, but the cops' hands are usually tied, and they can rarely punish people for it outside of littering laws -- and occasionally criminal mischief if the flyers are put up with glue or something like that.

I've even seen Nazi groups pull false flags and pose as anti-racists online to spread local news stories about their flyering jobs. The stories are also grist for their online propaganda mills, as they love to share and promote those stories and flood the comment sections. The local newspaper article now has dozens of comments from a Nazi network that is not even present in the community. This is not an obvious problem though, as the stories rarely receive national attention, but it is has been happening all over the country and is some of the most damaging kind of media manipulation they do.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 07:47 on Feb 8, 2018

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If it wasn't for the car attack that would've just been another human interest piece. I mean, no poo poo it paints them in a damning light - because the way events unfolded there was no other way they could present it.

Nah, it's also damning because they get comfortable around the hot white girl and let their "actually we do want to gas all the jews" side through a bit too often.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

the hot white girl

quote:

and let their "actually we do want to gas all the jews" side through a bit too often.

Saying "actually we do want to gas all the jews" is what Nazis do. Pussyfooting around the issue is Spencer's MO, not the rest of them. What was really damning was getting Cantwell to try and justify the car attack, which wouldn't have happened without the attack.

You're evaluating Vice's editorial intent assuming your own viewpoint. Vice is a nihilistic publication. They didn't set out to make Nazis look bad, it just worked out that way. They don't deserve a pat on the back for being able to get interviews from people who are camera-crazy. If it hadn't been for the attack it would've been played like another cool adventure with crazy Nazis.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

I think Elle is really good at disarming nazis and getting them to show their real self instead of their fake veneer that they put up. Most of the puff pieces on nazis are glad to focus on the veneer.

I think it's pretty disingenuous to just say that Spencer is the only one that does the whole real-self/fake-self divide. Hiding under the guise of irony is fundamental to nazism. Getting them where they feel safe enough to drop the irony means you have them where you want them as an interviewer.

Edit: And funnily enough, she uses it pretty well against Spencer when interviewing him.

Notorious R.I.M. has issued a correction as of 08:24 on Feb 8, 2018

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

It's really weird that she dug the glasses that my dad wore in 1985 out of the trash.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
She kinda does the Louis Theroux thing where it's smart to play dumb. "Huh, so what's that? Gee. Oh? You have a rifle under your bed?" then the next thing you know Cantwell is racking an AR on camera and boop-boop-boop lighting up the federal government's attention.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You're evaluating Vice's editorial intent assuming your own viewpoint. Vice is a nihilistic publication. They didn't set out to make Nazis look bad, it just worked out that way. They don't deserve a pat on the back for being able to get interviews from people who are camera-crazy. If it hadn't been for the attack it would've been played like another cool adventure with crazy Nazis.
But they were there, and the attack did happen. If they hadn't been there and the attack happened, we'd be worse off I think.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 08:32 on Feb 8, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Hiding under the guise of irony is fundamental to nazism.

Skinheads with swastika tats aren't "doing an irony" my dude. Groups like Trad Worker's Party and Identity Evropa might distance themselves from Nazism as a brand through layers of abstraction, but it's not hard at all to get them to talk about what they really want - which is a whites only country.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

jeeeeeeezus

like how could you honestly watch this guy and go "yeah, that's someone i should take seriously"?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Agean90 posted:

and now for the latest episode of "everyone hates charlie"

https://twitter.com/charliekirk11/status/961335442992803840

More likely they got low grades because it was a class where argumentation, proper argument formation and source choice were all important and they argued for idiotic conservative bullshit in poorly executed fashion and cited bullshit like TPUSA, Cato and that poo poo. I've seen it, the homeschooled or otherwise conservative wunderkid who all of a sudden has to form proper arguments in university and falls flat on their face. I barely avoided being that dumbass.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's really weird that she dug the glasses that my dad wore in 1985 out of the trash.

Literally the first thing I thought when watching the video was "jesus christ what bet did she lose?"

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Most of that stuff is old. He has a current Facebook account though where he's posing with weapons and has what looks like a gun safe in January 2018.

Jesus Christ.

He's also into Lady Gaga, Kesha, Britney and Victoria Justice, the movie "Girly Things" and The Daily Show, while also being part of the group "Fascist goy for tolerance and understanding" and "Constitutional Fascist" so he's all kinds of wrapped up into knots.

sounds like some kind of westaboo

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

Also while I know they wanted to go for a neo-Toyko look, LA in that movie once again looks like Bannon's ultimate nightmare, as is it is filled with non-whites who haven't assimilated

80s hollywood movies are wild with paranoia about asian takeover
now the rigthwingers would be pretty okay with it since china happily represses uyghur musilms and colonizes africa

DeepDickPizza posted:

like how could you honestly watch this guy and go "yeah, that's someone i should take seriously"?

being able to write and talk in complete sentences is enough to make you into an internet celebrity - with some luck

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/fussybabybitch/status/961425553457790976

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/fussybabybitch/status/961429650885849088

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

tractor fanatic posted:

The root of the alt-right is a struggle with claiming or asserting masculinity. It's not surprising that Asians, stereotyped as unmasculine, would be drawn to it. I mean their favored insults are cuck and soyboy

lol with (mostly) east asian MRAs, go deep down enough the rabbit hole and you'll find it an article of faith with them that all asian feminists are self-loathing and closeted white supremacists

a description which more accurate that korean neo-nazi if anything

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Plus on the Indian side of things Hindu nationalists are similarly Nazi-style ethnostatists.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
wonder where southeast asians would fit on that race matrix probably in the black category given what a lot of this type of east asian thinks of southeast asians

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Bushiz posted:

I have a private theory where Stephen Jay Gould's death (and the subsequent takeover of every part of the atheist/skeptic community by dick dorkins, chris hitchens, and acolytes) is largely responsible for the moral rudderlessness of the atheist community at large.
100% agree. Gould was a pompous blowhard in life but he understood the social implications of science. The only other guy who I feel is doing that work now is Jonathan Marks. PZ Myers to a degree as well, but Marks is a geneticist in the field of anthropology and knows exactly what these racist fucks are doing.

JBP is about a month away from saying something Milo-worthy. These edge lords are all the same. Once they start to get mainstream media coverage, they get emboldened to let their more reactionary and bizarre views come out. They get rewarded for being edgy so they gradually let more of their social camouflage slip. Then they finally step over a line that even their followers think is a bad idea. That might be “revealing your power level” and blowing your cover like Paul Nehlen, or it could be showing a level of weirdness that even the CHUDs aren’t comfortable with like Milo/Spencer.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

wonder where southeast asians would fit on that race matrix probably in the black category given what a lot of this type of east asian thinks of southeast asians

Oh yeah they're gonna be swept into Dravidians.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Crowsbeak posted:

As a religious person, watching the skeptic community slowly turn into fascists has been somewhat pleasurable. Because alot of the same assholes who are doing it were the ones claiming that it was religion that caused fascism and racism.

the common denominator between dumb skeptics and dumb fundamentalists is entitled white men. the philosophical bend of these people is irrelevant.

temple has issued a correction as of 13:57 on Feb 8, 2018

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

DeepDickPizza posted:

jeeeeeeezus

He affirms the beliefs of right wing idiots, only through spiritual nonsense like "women are descended from primordial Chaos and are the reason why men can't clean their rooms on their own" instead of bio-truths like the right-wing skeptics do. So, it doesn't really matter if he's doing an interview about how Donald Duck is the epitome of the feminized Western man because he raises his sister's nephews, doesn't wear pants, and lives off the teat of his more successful conservative uncle, because his real value is just reinforcing the average alt-light kid's belief that the real reason his life is poo poo is women and cultural Marxism.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

temple posted:

the common denominator between dumb skeptics and dumb fundamentalists is entitled white men. the philosophical bend of these people is irrelevant.

The fun part is watching former outspoken atheists start adopting fundamentalist Christianity ideas that dovetail with their white supremacy.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

He affirms the beliefs of right wing idiots, only through spiritual nonsense like "women are descended from primordial Chaos and are the reason why men can't clean their rooms on their own" instead of bio-truths like the right-wing skeptics do. So, it doesn't really matter if he's doing an interview about how Donald Duck is the epitome of the feminized Western man because he raises his sister's nephews, doesn't wear pants, and lives off the teat of his more successful conservative uncle, because his real value is just reinforcing the average alt-light kid's belief that the real reason his life is poo poo is women and cultural Marxism.

He'd be wrong BTW. Donald earns his money through a difficult life in the military, followed up by numerous low-paying wage jobs that he losses due to the abuse of capitalists heaped upon him. Donald Duck is a proletarian hero.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Then why has he not guillotined Scrooge Mcduck.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

Then why has he not guillotined Scrooge Mcduck.

He hasn't yet cast aside mortal trappings of sentimentality. He's a proletarian hero, not a gnostic proletarian hero.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

DeepDickPizza posted:

jeeeeeeezus

Yeah I'd really have to ask for proof that relations between man & women in the workplace are getting worse. I've never gotten that feeling.

Also I always find it strange when people on here talk about the skeptic community because I never consider half the jokers talked about here skeptics and people I actually would consider skeptics aren't tangled up in this mess.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

refusing to comprehend the viewpoints and motivations of others thus failing a homework assignment to own the libs

https://twitter.com/Kathy14638/status/961339166440206337

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

KiteAuraan posted:

He'd be wrong BTW. Donald earns his money through a difficult life in the military, followed up by numerous low-paying wage jobs that he losses due to the abuse of capitalists heaped upon him. Donald Duck is a proletarian hero.

Well, except for that one time...

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Donald hates Nazis :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn20oXFrxxg

edit: I :airquote: love :airquote: the fact that the primary critique of Nazism in this short is that they push their factory workers too hard. Nothing about, you know, the genociding.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Neon Noodle posted:

Donald hates Nazis :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn20oXFrxxg

edit: I :airquote: love :airquote: the fact that the primary critique of Nazism in this short is that they push their factory workers too hard. Nothing about, you know, the genociding.

This cartoon is from 1943. The horror and scale of the holocaust wasn't widely known until the camps were liberated.

I mean the scapegoating and detention was known but not the industrial scale murder part.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

jordi p’s “women be shoppin” stand-up routine when

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://twitter.com/rewindthefilth/status/961307897094463489

:britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Reince Penis posted:

This cartoon is from 1943. The horror and scale of the holocaust wasn't widely known until the camps were liberated.

I mean the scapegoating and detention was known but not the industrial scale murder part.

wrong, the holocaust was public knowledge as early as 1941