Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

mobby_6kl posted:

Just installed Line, the nickname is the same as here and the number is 966-270-467. (What a pain in the rear end that was, Chunghwa did in fact ran out of new numbers but another company required two IDs and took an actual photo of me for a prepaid sim. Is this paranoia because of PRC spies or something?)

Some good suggestions here, I was near 101 but it was cloudy so made no sense to go up. Haushan, Songshan and 44 South Village were pretty cool, though the latter was apparently mostly closed other than the store/restaurant. I'm actually staying near Minquan station so that area is pretty familiar. Is Tamsui/Fort San Damingo worth a visit? I met some Korean guy who recommended

Any of you are computer nerds? I stopped by the Digital Plaza since it was near Haushan but it seemed kind of expensive - most of the graphics cards and CPUs were pretty much the same as back home, and that's including minimum 2 year warranties and 21% VAT.

The thing with line is that your display nickname is not searchable. You need to go into settings and set an id.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

The thing with line is that your display nickname is not searchable. You need to go into settings and set an id.

I got him with the phone number, no worries

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The fort in Danshui is quite nice if you're into that kind of thing, makes for some nice photos and stuff. Danshui in general is a nice afternoon, the waterfront is okay when it's not super crowded, there's decent snack and souvenir places, and potentially, although I haven't done it, you could get a ferry ride from there down to Dadaocheng (iirc) which is more or less back in the Minquan adjacent area.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Atlas Hugged posted:

You get a bit of Blade Runner zooming around on the elevated express roads that cut through Taipei at night with all the billboards and neon 檳榔 signs at every exit.

I kinda get that feeling scooting through 三重 but there's a lot of foliage everywhere else in the city. Taipei is the only large SE Asian city I've ever been to, so I can't really compare it against anything.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

lookit all these pussies who can't handle kaoliang

shameful

e:

That's because we don't have as many British alcoholics.

& one less as of xmas day :(

Atlas Hugged posted:

Taiwan doesn't really need or want foreign talent in the way Southeast Asia does. The issues have way more to do with systemic cultural problems than a lack of knowledge or talent or skills. Bringing in foreigners doesn't fix those issues, especially not when there are countless foreign born and educated locals willing to work for less who speak the language and know the cultural.

I don't think this holds water

In any event Happy New Years Taipei goons, I was treated to a bunch of pics which made me sad.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

url posted:

& one less as of xmas day :(

I don't think this holds water

In any event Happy New Years Taipei goons, I was treated to a bunch of pics which made me sad.

Happy New Year, dude :)

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Pirate Radar posted:

Happy New Year, dude :)

Thanks.

Worse things happen at sea.

I'm only a couple of threads away as of 18~, Jan

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I'm going to visit Taiwan later this month, from the 20th and leaving on the 27th. I'm staying with a friend who lives in Taipei. He already has some ideas for places to visit and things to do and he has a car. In general, I know I want to see some night markets, visit a hot spring and see Taipei 101. We may travel out of the city if the weather is good.

Any recommendations for places to check out or things to do?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I always recommend getting out to Sanxia and if you have a car then it's not a problem. There's a gorgeous temple there and Old Street is a good way to kill a couple of hours.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

clockworkjoe posted:

I'm going to visit Taiwan later this month, from the 20th and leaving on the 27th. I'm staying with a friend who lives in Taipei. He already has some ideas for places to visit and things to do and he has a car. In general, I know I want to see some night markets, visit a hot spring and see Taipei 101. We may travel out of the city if the weather is good.

What are your interests like? I usually recommend the National Palace Museum, but there’s no shame in skipping it if old art and artifacts aren’t your thing.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
If new art and artifacts are your thing try out the contemporary art museum by main station. Or see what crazy bullshit they have at the fine arts museum, that can be a real trip, too. Spend at least one night getting wasted in a dive bar.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
i'd suggest houtong cat town as a cool way to spend a lazy day, though i'd avoid going if the weather is miserable

danshui boardwalk is also kinda chill, might be cold as poo poo now though

maybe see if the huashan or songshan cultural parks have a cool exhibition going on

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

clockworkjoe posted:

Go to Hualien and take a photo of yourself reading The Man with the Compound Eyes.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I do like museums, so those are good suggestions. My friend is highly allergic to cats so cat village is out.

How cold can it get in Taipei this time of year?

Edit: I was only going to bring a few long sleeved shirts and a light rain jacket for warmer clothes. Should I bring anything heavier?

clockworkjoe fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 8, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

clockworkjoe posted:

I do like museums, so those are good suggestions. My friend is highly allergic to cats so cat village is out.

Edit: I was only going to bring a few long sleeved shirts and a light rain jacket for warmer clothes. Should I bring anything heavier?

Expect it to be somewhere between 10 and 25C (~50-75 degrees Fahrenheit) depending on the day and wet, probably towards the higher end of that by the time you get here. Expect it to be cold inside, too, since a lot of buildings here aren’t built with heating or insulation in mind.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Maybe bring at least one bit of nice warm clothing, depending where you're from i guess, because this year has been cold as gently caress even by normal person standards

And if you like museums Taiwan's got hella unusual museums. there's a puppetry museum, a fishball museum, iirc a sock museum, a museum of miniatures, a paper museum, a drinking water museum, and that's just the few i can remember off the top of my head that are in taipei/new taipei.

e: i wouldn't say bring it with but be prepared to buy rain gear because there's about a 150% chance it'll rain at least half the time you're here.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

clockworkjoe posted:

I visited a similar time last year. It was relatively warm (compared to Seattle, anyway) and definitely got very rainy. As said earlier, 50-75 Fahrenheit was about the range.

Since you say you like museums, I'll third or fourth the National Palace Museum. Just an unbelievable amount of incredible artwork. I would also strongly recommend the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall, with the understanding that the museum there is maintained by the Kuomintang, and definitely not presenting an unbiased point of view. It gives a much more modern (if one-sided) history of Taiwan. If you can get a clear day, I also recommend the Maokong Gondola, and wandering around Maokong for a day.

It is really easy to get around as an English speaker, especially if you have a friend guiding you. Try stinky tofu if you get a chance; it smells like a week-old gym sock, but the taste is really inoffensive. Closes thing I can think of is hamburger helper. Also, the beef noodle soup from just about anywhere, and the fried quail eggs you can get from any number of street vendors for hella cheap.

Also, State Department recommends a Hepatitis A vaccine, which you should get ASAP if you're leaving on the 20th (if you haven't already).

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
for food, there's some p cool places around i can suggest, totto ramen is the easiest one that comes to mind and din tai fong is one that goes straight to the bottom because it's overrated as gently caress and gently caress waiting in line so goddamn long for some expensive decent xiao long bao just go to mazendo instead and get them sesame noodles ffs

wherever you go, if you don't get several types of jipai while you're here i guess that would mean you hate taiwan or something, which would be rude

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Oh yeah, eat all the fried chicken chops you can find.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

oyster omelets and beef noodles for life y'all

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

clockworkjoe posted:

Do bring warm clothes, but you can buy rainclothes here. The miniatures museum sucks, so does the drinking water museum; go to MOCA and the contemporary art museum, and I hear the aboriginals museum is good too. The southern branch of the National Palace Museum is good, but it's a bit out of your way unless you want to hit Alishan too.

Maokong is probably good, Yangmingshan will probably be nice but cold, definitely see a night market but not Shilin.

E: vvv fair enough; it's lots of doll houses and dioramas, so pretty YMMV, agreed. You can buy miniatures of decent booze in the shop, too.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Feb 8, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I thought the miniatures museum was cool, but I like miniatures. It’s a very ymmv kind of thing.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Nougat Museum for life

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Thanatosian posted:

Since you say you like museums, I'll third or fourth the National Palace Museum. Just an unbelievable amount of incredible artwork. I would also strongly recommend the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall, with the understanding that the museum there is maintained by the Kuomintang, and definitely not presenting an unbiased point of view. It gives a much more modern (if one-sided) history of Taiwan. If you can get a clear day, I also recommend the Maokong Gondola, and wandering around Maokong for a day.

I recommend these as well. I will note that the Nationalist bias at the memorial is very obvious if you know anything about modern Chinese history and all the pictures of Kai Shek and Ching-kuo makes them look like the Kims in the 70's. There's a lot of cool artifacts though. The changing of the guard is cool too if you like military ceremonies.

The Republic of China Armed Forces Museum is really good. When I was there a couple years back they had an exhibit dedicated to the Flying Tigers. The officer's club is either connected or right next to it and has an awesome oil painting of the Battle of Jinmen above the entrance. They allegedly used their Sherman tanks :911: to run over throngs of PLA soldiers when they ran out of ammunition. It was the last ground battle of the Chinese Civil War and the PRC doesn't talk about it outside of military think tank papers.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/A...34!4d121.508277

I'm a Chinese history nerd, especially the Nanjing Decade through the Cold War, so it was extra cool to me but the other goons and nongoons I went with enjoyed it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Atlas Hugged posted:

Nougat Museum for life

Place blows and was lame

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Safety Biscuits posted:

I hear the aboriginals museum is good too
Shung Ye Museum of Formosan Aborigines is v good and a short walk down the road from the National Palace Museum, so it makes for a pretty good day trip. The museum's bookshop was also interesting af but I don't remember how much they had in the way of English-language stuff. If you're feeling like splurging you could even take the double-decker tourist bus up there; I took it once and it was a nice ride, but definitely not the cheapest, fastest, or easiest way to get there. Plus idk what it'd be like at this time of year, probably either wet and lovely or enclosed. There's also the Ketagalan Culture Center in Beitou, which is also not bad, and has the bonus of being easier to get to by MRT and down by a nice park that, when I went, was loving swarmed with people Pokemon Going. Similarly, although it's been years so I can't really guarantee anything, there is/was an Aboriginal museum down in Wulai that was OK, and Wulai also rules for hitting a hot spring, which given the weather right now sounds loving fantastic.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I play miniatures war games so the miniature museum looks v cool.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I recommend these as well. I will note that the Nationalist bias at the memorial is very obvious if you know anything about modern Chinese history and all the pictures of Kai Shek and Ching-kuo makes them look like the Kims in the 70's. There's a lot of cool artifacts though. The changing of the guard is cool too if you like military ceremonies.

The Republic of China Armed Forces Museum is really good. When I was there a couple years back they had an exhibit dedicated to the Flying Tigers. The officer's club is either connected or right next to it and has an awesome oil painting of the Battle of Jinmen above the entrance. They allegedly used their Sherman tanks :911: to run over throngs of PLA soldiers when they ran out of ammunition. It was the last ground battle of the Chinese Civil War and the PRC doesn't talk about it outside of military think tank papers.

I'm a Chinese history nerd, especially the Nanjing Decade through the Cold War, so it was extra cool to me but the other goons and nongoons I went with enjoyed it.

drat I wish someone told me about this. I thought the National Palace Museum was kinda poo poo tbh, but that might have been because of the Mainlander hordes.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Jeoh posted:

drat I wish someone told me about this. I thought the National Palace Museum was kinda poo poo tbh, but that might have been because of the Mainlander hordes.

tbf nothing can ruin a day like a loving gaggle of mainlanders

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

This was shut the day I went, I was pretty miffed

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

GoutPatrol posted:

Place blows and was lame

I can't believe you actually went.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Atlas Hugged posted:

I can't believe you actually went.

It was a field trip and everyone was disappointed.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

GoutPatrol posted:

It was a field trip and everyone was disappointed.

The most important lesson a school can teach to children.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
I'm visiting Taipei for 4 days for a quick getaway, and would appreciate some specific recommendations :

1. If I only want to visit one night market, which would be most suitable for a 2hr visit (mostly for walking around and taking photos and eating anything interesting)
2. One great local restaurant that's not DTF and doesn't involve standing in long queues
3. Any day trips worth doing? I'm assuming Jiufen is not really worth visiting?

I'm staying in Songshan District in Taipei if that matters.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Anarkii posted:

I'm visiting Taipei for 4 days for a quick getaway, and would appreciate some specific recommendations :

1. If I only want to visit one night market, which would be most suitable for a 2hr visit (mostly for walking around and taking photos and eating anything interesting)
2. One great local restaurant that's not DTF and doesn't involve standing in long queues
3. Any day trips worth doing? I'm assuming Jiufen is not really worth visiting?

I'm staying in Songshan District in Taipei if that matters.

I'd say for the night market probably go with Raohe Night Market - it's one of the bigger and more touristy ones to begin with, it's right by Songshan MRT and train stations, there's hella food even by night market standards, and there's a cool temple to get photos of at one end as well. Day trips, Wulai is nice for hot springs, Jiufen/Jinshan aren't bad choices either, if you're into museums the National Palace Museum and nearby aboriginal museum would make for a solid afternoon/day, and you could probably day trip to Tainan too (esp. if you take the high-speed rail) which would be well worth it.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I liked walking in the mountains behind the city, but then I like walking in mountains behind the city where I normally live too

I need to go back to Taipei.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 11, 2018

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Trip update: I got back from my trip and I loved Taiwan! Amazing food, especially the night markets and a fancy sushi place (forgot the name but you had to get a reservation days in advance).

I saw the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial, National Palace Museum, Taipei 101, Sanmin Bat Cave, Keelung night market, a few other night markets in Taipei, a hot spring (Bayan) https://articles.taiwanease.com/2017/07/09/bayan-wild-hot-springs-in-yangmingshan/ and got some shopping in. I picked up some Kavalan Solist whisky, a board game called Taiwan Monster Brawl, and some other souvenirs. Even though it rained a lot, I saw a bunch and wouldn't mind going back some day!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

clockworkjoe posted:

Trip update: I got back from my trip and I loved Taiwan! Amazing food, especially the night markets and a fancy sushi place (forgot the name but you had to get a reservation days in advance).

I saw the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial, National Palace Museum, Taipei 101, Sanmin Bat Cave, Keelung night market, a few other night markets in Taipei, a hot spring (Bayan) https://articles.taiwanease.com/2017/07/09/bayan-wild-hot-springs-in-yangmingshan/ and got some shopping in. I picked up some Kavalan Solist whisky, a board game called Taiwan Monster Brawl, and some other souvenirs. Even though it rained a lot, I saw a bunch and wouldn't mind going back some day!

Pretty much all of my souvenir money went to Kavalan. I consider it a good investment.

Should have picked up a bottle of Kinmen 58 while you were there, too.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Thanatosian posted:

Pretty much all of my souvenir money went to Kavalan. I consider it a good investment.

Should have picked up a bottle of Kinmen 58 while you were there, too.

I also picked up this at TOAD http://www.hometown.com.tw/portfolio-item/%e5%8f%b0%e7%81%a3%e7%b4%85%e9%9f%bb%e7%b4%85%e8%8c%b6%e9%85%9228%e5%ba%a6/

(TOAD stands for Taiwan's Own Alcohol Development. It's a great store.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

clockworkjoe posted:

I also picked up this at TOAD http://www.hometown.com.tw/portfolio-item/%e5%8f%b0%e7%81%a3%e7%b4%85%e9%9f%bb%e7%b4%85%e8%8c%b6%e9%85%9228%e5%ba%a6/

(TOAD stands for Taiwan's Own Alcohol Development. It's a great store.)

poo poo i did not know about this place, might have to check it out