Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Internet Kraken posted:

So is there even a reason for me to horde all these creature eggs? They take a ton of space but I was hoping there would be something cool I could do with them.

You can hatch them if you put them in the room sized aquarium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Eggs also make pretty good fuel for a bioreactor.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well that'll be nice if I can ever figure out how to build one. Wish you started with the blueprints to what I assume is a larger room so I could fit an aquarium in my house.

Is there a way to break titanium ingots down into regular titanium? Would be convenient for storage.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It pains me to see you discover every single fault that we expected to be changed before 1.0.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

So I've got the mk1 depth upgrade for the Cyclops in my PDA's list of recipes, but I can't build one in the cyclops fabricator, or in a mod station I built in the Cyclops, or in the Moonpool vehicle upgrade station. I'm probably just going to console one in so I can upgrade it (I have all of the materials packed into the Cyclops for the final descent), but this is kind of frustrating. If anyone knows the real solution to this problem I wouldn't mind hearing it?

Of course, it's the first significant bug I've encountered other than watching leviathans swim through walls (no shallows ambushes though) and pop-in. Despite the continuing issues, this is a really cool game.'

e: never mind, it was this

xiw posted:

Are you sure you're using the separate fabricator built into the cyclops on the starboard side by the engine?

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Feb 8, 2018

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I got nothing. It's supposed to be done in the Cyclops' mod station, but if that doesn't work...uh. Console the recipe in and see if that fixes it? :effort:

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Are you sure you're using the separate fabricator built into the cyclops on the starboard side by the engine?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Eggs also make pretty good fuel for a bioreactor.

You monster!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

goddamn. If I kill a ghost leviathan will it respawn? There's one of the bastards roaming near my base in the grassy plateaus, I assume it wondered in when I traveled back and forth from the blood kelp area and it's really annoying, often aggroing on me while I go out for stuff.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zesty posted:

It pains me to see you discover every single fault that we expected to be changed before 1.0.

Welp

But hey, I saw a reefback. That was really loving cool.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

LonsomeSon posted:

So I've got the mk1 depth upgrade for the Cyclops in my PDA's list of recipes, but I can't build one in the cyclops fabricator, or in a mod station I built in the Cyclops, or in the Moonpool vehicle upgrade station. I'm probably just going to console one in so I can upgrade it (I have all of the materials packed into the Cyclops for the final descent), but this is kind of frustrating. If anyone knows the real solution to this problem I wouldn't mind hearing it?

Of course, it's the first significant bug I've encountered other than watching leviathans swim through walls (no shallows ambushes though) and pop-in. Despite the continuing issues, this is a really cool game.'

e: never mind, it was this

Are you sure you got the blueprint? You actually have to get it from a Lifepod 2. Then it's the fab unit by the engines in the back.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

The 'pull from storage' mod is working pretty good, thanks for that. The 1s delay operating the menus is worth not having to check 10 different lockers for a random piece of gold. Wish the base fabricator could do the same thing, needing Lead for the supports is messing with my head since they only needed titanium when last I checked.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I made it down to the alient thermal plant and took the prawn suit in with me. Once I got everything from there and left, the water was gone--fall damage included and everything. Re-boarding the cyclops did not fix it. After some googling I figured out I could fix my player state by console warping to somewhere elese and back (the player biome got stuck as PrecursorGun) but I have no idea how to recover the prawn from the bottom of that pit, which still thinks it's on land complete with crouching on exit. The jumpjet doesn't have much thrust in "atmosphere" and the grappler arm similarly can't lift it so after a number of attempts I couldn't get anywhere near the exit. Am I stuck driving all the way back to the surface just to build another one of these things? I don't see a command to spawn one and it's way too deep to try any shenanigans with my seamoth.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Vorkosigan posted:

The 'pull from storage' mod is working pretty good, thanks for that. The 1s delay operating the menus is worth not having to check 10 different lockers for a random piece of gold. Wish the base fabricator could do the same thing, needing Lead for the supports is messing with my head since they only needed titanium when last I checked.

So this mod it stable? Awesome. Grabbing stuff from four different lockers when I need a microchip or whatever is a huge bummer.

I seriously love this game, but whoever thought it was a good idea to need dozens of clicks to perform simple crafting can gently caress right off.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Spent hours last night moving my base out of the shoals a few hundred metres west to the red plateaus to hang out with the reefbacks. Feels good to finally have a moonpool put in. Now if I can only get over my crippling fear of the deep places. I don't even consider myself to be scared of deep water in real life this game just unnerves the gently caress out of me. I managed to go to the aurora and get everything and back without running into a reaper, didn't even know they patrolled around there till my friend told me.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Zesty posted:

This isn’t a “kill every thing in the ocean” kind of game. That’s why every weapon is a defensive tool. Think Star Trek. Yeah, there are predators that want to take a bite out of you but you don’t need to kill them to deal with them.

When I or my stuff gets attacked by something I stab them until they're dead though.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I don't even consider myself to be scared of deep water in real life this game just unnerves the gently caress out of me.

You're not alone. Like, I know where I'm going, and I don't want to wait until daylight to get here, but turning off the lights to avoid leviathans and diving into the endless black is super unsettling.

The most affecting moment so far was my first death. I got lost in the mushroom tree caves and drowned. Mild panic, followed by a growing sense of dread as I realized that even if I found the path out I wouldn't have enough air to reach safety... that was something. If anyone ever offers to take me cave diving in real life, I think I'm gonna pass.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
This game could be an interesting study on how panic effects decision making. The one time I drowned I was 10 meters away from my seamoth which for some reason had shifted slightly and was partially obscured by some plants. If I had stayed calm and taken a good look at my surroundings I could have found it. Instead I panicked and then the screen went dark.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Internet Kraken posted:

Welp

But hey, I saw a reefback. That was really loving cool.

Yeah, there's some cool things too. :3:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Spent hours last night moving my base out of the shoals a few hundred metres west to the red plateaus to hang out with the reefbacks. Feels good to finally have a moonpool put in. Now if I can only get over my crippling fear of the deep places. I don't even consider myself to be scared of deep water in real life this game just unnerves the gently caress out of me. I managed to go to the aurora and get everything and back without running into a reaper, didn't even know they patrolled around there till my friend told me.

Put a sonar mod on the seamoth if you're worried, the pings really help spot reapers. I usually roll it with the depth mod, solar charge, sonar and a storage unit, although the solar can easily be swapped out when unneeded for something like durability. The sonar is just so handy for finding hard to spot little openings too, and it has the range to show you that you aren't far from solid ground/sea bed.

plus i think the leviathans roar whenever you ping

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Power question, if I have a base set up with both solar and nuclear will the energy reserves from the solar panels drain first, preserving the generstor's fuel rods, or will it drain both simultaneously?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Power question, if I have a base set up with both solar and nuclear will the energy reserves from the solar panels drain first, preserving the generstor's fuel rods, or will it drain both simultaneously?

I believe it drains based on the order it was constructed in, so start with building any thermal or solar units first, and end with bio/nuclear

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sloober posted:

I believe it drains based on the order it was constructed in, so start with building any thermal or solar units first, and end with bio/nuclear

This is correct, and was an endless source of frustration when trying to get my bioreactor to recharge.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Turtlicious posted:

Why does eating poo poo hurt me? wtf?
because game communities are terrible

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Managed to cobble together the thermal power charger for my cyclops while in the inactive lava zone, had 7% charge left on my power cells but park it over a vent and freeeee juuuuuuice.

Now I just shield zap off lava leeches, get rekt fuckers.

Hardest thing to find down there is lithium. Gotta bust shale formations and pray. Another diamond? Get that poo poo outta here.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

You're not alone. Like, I know where I'm going, and I don't want to wait until daylight to get here, but turning off the lights to avoid leviathans and diving into the endless black is super unsettling.

The most affecting moment so far was my first death. I got lost in the mushroom tree caves and drowned. Mild panic, followed by a growing sense of dread as I realized that even if I found the path out I wouldn't have enough air to reach safety... that was something. If anyone ever offers to take me cave diving in real life, I think I'm gonna pass.

I still need to build a scanner room over there so I can explore them with camera drones. That's probably the one place in the game I really would say the drones would be super good for. There is a really neat feeling to being safe in a base with air and food and being able to just remote pilot those things around.

I did nearly drown in a wreck the other day because I couldn't find the vent I came into the room via. Got back to the seamoth with about 1 second to spare but i spent about a minute going "I'm actually going to drown at 200m down with two minutes of air because I can't figure out how to get back out of this room, this is so dumb."

The game is right when it warns you that the biggest threat to cave diving is disorientation.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 8, 2018

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am nearing the later parts of the game and I hope somebody can tell me exactly what to do from here on. I entered the Lost River area and explored a damaged alien base that had warper parts, an emperor egg and some alien info about the disease. I don't find this part of the game particularly interesting, i just want to get to the point where i am ready to make the escape rocket, and get the alien part over with as fast as possible. So can anyone tell me briefly where to go and what to do?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oasx posted:

I am nearing the later parts of the game and I hope somebody can tell me exactly what to do from here on. I entered the Lost River area and explored a damaged alien base that had warper parts, an emperor egg and some alien info about the disease. I don't find this part of the game particularly interesting, i just want to get to the point where i am ready to make the escape rocket, and get the alien part over with as fast as possible. So can anyone tell me briefly where to go and what to do?

Go further into the river, near the disease lab you explored there is a plateu with a skeleton on it, one exit from that chamber leads past a large tree with blue brine pools round it, go past there and down into the lava tubes. Follow them along until you reach a large lava filled chamber with a big volcanic smoker formation in the middle. Swim into the big structure and find the thermal plant. Bring two purple keys, get the alien power data (not really needed but useful) and the blue key (scan it before you pick it up/use it). Go back into the large chamber. Nearer one of the walls is a big sinkhole in the floor, go down through it and into an even more lava filled room. Here is the primary containment center. Bring two blue keys (you have to fabricate one) and five ion crystals. Use the keys to open both doors and the ion crystals to open all the teleport gates, from here you can teleport around the map and finish the disease cure, then you should be able to deactivate the big laser gun and fly home once you build the rocket. If you bring a cyclops into the lava lake, you can get it out again a little faster, the final lava area also links back up directly to near the disease research facility, but you need the blue key from the thermal plant to get in so you need to go the other way first on your way down.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 8, 2018

mmmm
Jul 26, 2010

hey
you're one of them fancy lads, ain't ya?

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Now if I can only get over my crippling fear of the deep places.

I used to feel similar, but then I saw the light.

I went very very deep into the Blood Kelp zone, gathered some oil. I was having a little luck with some mineral deposits so I risked a cave run. Went deeper than I ever had before, figured it was practice for diving into the endless dark to gather end-game resources.

Then I saw the the light and realized that no, it's not gonna be like that at all.

edit: wasn't vague enough

mmmm fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 8, 2018

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

gently caress that I need kyanite!!!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

OwlFancier posted:

Go further into the river, near the disease lab you explored there is a plateu with a skeleton on it, one exit from that chamber leads past a large tree with blue brine pools round it, go past there and down into the lava tubes. Follow them along until you reach a large lava filled chamber with a big volcanic smoker formation in the middle. Swim into the big structure and find the thermal plant. Bring two purple keys, get the alien power data (not really needed but useful) and the blue key (scan it before you pick it up/use it). Go back into the large chamber. Nearer one of the walls is a big sinkhole in the floor, go down through it and into an even more lava filled room. Here is the primary containment center. Bring two blue keys (you have to fabricate one) and five ion crystals. Use the keys to open both doors and the ion crystals to open all the teleport gates, from here you can teleport around the map and finish the disease cure, then you should be able to deactivate the big laser gun and fly home once you build the rocket. If you bring a cyclops into the lava lake, you can get it out again a little faster, the final lava area also links back up directly to near the disease research facility, but you need the blue key from the thermal plant to get in so you need to go the other way first on your way down.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Lord Zedd
Dec 25, 2011
Was surprised to find out that the Jellyshroom cave has tons of magnetite. Went from being hesitant to craft with it to having 2 lockers full of the stuff.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zesty posted:

:same:

Zesty posted:

Yeah, there's some cool things too. :3:

:same:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

I have never wanted to explore a cave more in my life.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

OwlFancier posted:

I still need to build a scanner room over there so I can explore them with camera drones. That's probably the one place in the game I really would say the drones would be super good for. There is a really neat feeling to being safe in a base with air and food and being able to just remote pilot those things around.

I did nearly drown in a wreck the other day because I couldn't find the vent I came into the room via. Got back to the seamoth with about 1 second to spare but i spent about a minute going "I'm actually going to drown at 200m down with two minutes of air because I can't figure out how to get back out of this room, this is so dumb."

The game is right when it warns you that the biggest threat to cave diving is disorientation.

I mostly haven't had issues with cave diving in this game due to fairly good spatial awareness and being generally careful. Except once, when I went a little too far into a winding cave system in one of the mushroom forests while looking for lithium. Basically textbook caving panic and disorientation as I started to realize all the exits looked the same, I was running out of air and I was going to drown with an inventory full of stuff because I was an idiot. I actually had to pause the game for a second to calm down. Managed to find the exit with only seconds to spare and started a straight line dash to the seamoth with my seaglide, except I ran out of air and started blacking out 30-40 meters away. Screen goes full black and I'm sure I'm dead, but I'm still clicking frantically as a reflex. Next thing I hear is "Welcome Aboard". Pretty sure another half second would have killed me.

30 minutes later I wasn't paying enough attention when diving one of the abandoned bases and ran face first into a pile of drooping stingers. Whoops.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Was placing a trashcan in my Cyclops and suddenly got shot out of the sub 2500 meters into the air. I just finished a bunch of base work and hadn't saved in a while. Luckily I came back down in the water, but there was a tense moment when it looked like I might crash land on the floating island.

Time to swim home I guess!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Skippy McPants posted:

Was placing a trashcan in my Cyclops and suddenly got shot out of the sub 2500 meters into the air. I just finished a bunch of base work and hadn't saved in a while. Luckily I came back down in the water, but there was a tense moment when it looked like I might crash land on the floating island.

Time to swim home I guess!
Welcome to the "I never go anywhere without a seamoth, even indoors" club.

It is also a secondary reason I prefer ultra fins over charge fins, for when I did leave my seamoth behind :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Feel like this is a good image to summarize this game. I just built an outpost at the entrance to a cave, and after exploring for only a few meters I got lost and couldn't find the one outcrop my base was in. Barely made it back to the surface through a different one. Shoved a camera drone inside my outpost to serve as a marker so that doesn't happen again.

Are pipe networks subjected to any sort of pressure? In real life you couldn't just build a comically long tube to suck down air because it would collapse on itself, but I don't know if they model that at all in this game. Don't really wanna try building one to find out either.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Needs some dim ghost leviathan eyes in that far back dark part