Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

black potus posted:

IMPROMPTU POLL HAVE YOU HEARD THE TERM BOOSTY D??

https://twitter.com/OwenTweetenwald/status/910879835521785858

note - Owen is the first person I saw ever say "boosty d"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Not even urban dictionary has a definition for boosty d, so I must assume it is a thing that does not exist.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
itt people don't know what a boosty d is :lol:

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

mandatory lesbian posted:

i dont think anyone disagrees with this

i do think a single set ravnica is gonna be extremely weird

they’ve said they’ll do multiple sets in the same place if needed which was a giant blinking alarm saying they’d do it soon.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Hellsau posted:

do they get bigger than 4/4 when you get multiples out or something

Nah, but they can come out t1 with burning inquiry which is literally the best thing in modern.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

jassi007 posted:

Sports figures are a lot harder, in general, to get a signature from than a magic artist, especially in person.

You'll also pay $25 and up for a signature at signing events rather than a buck or two.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

Commander is poo poo

Shiiiiiit

No surprise you're incorrect about this, a false foundation (thinking commander is poo poo) leads to a cascade of embarrassment (your posting).

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

No surprise you're incorrect about this, a false foundation (thinking commander is poo poo) leads to a cascade of embarrassment (your posting).

He's like a Maelstrom Wanderer of bad opinions!

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

No he's 100% right, it's terrible.

Lets take one of the most frustrating parts of MTG (not drawing the cards you need) add in politics and bizarre social rules and finally a dash of salt when you actually play a game to win and yeah, sounds like a bowl full of poo poo to me.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
EDH is indefensible.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Maybe, the truth is in the middle

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I can't decide if the "commander is good" group or the "WELL ACTUALY" group is worse.

The only objectively bad format is modern.

Actually they're all bad.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Build Your Own Block - best format. And the other invitational format where you had to bid starting life and cards for different decks. There is some design space that could definitely be opened up. Also I want a format where you can only play 1 of Mythics, 2 of Rares, 3 of Uncommons, and 4 of Commons.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Retromancer posted:

He's like a Maelstrom Wanderer of bad opinions!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

:golfclap:

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Ixalan block constructed is the only good format.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I also felt inspired to make this one but I know I won't have a chance to use it, ever.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
And I thought I needed medication.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Smashing Link posted:

Also I want a format where you can only play 1 of Mythics, 2 of Rares, 3 of Uncommons, and 4 of Commons.

R.I.P. Magic Duels

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Tainen posted:

Ixalan block constructed is the only good format.

It would only be nothing less than justice for every player abusing Sacrament to get banned, but I doubt they have the stomach to go through with the moral option. Sadly, they overvalue griefers and are probably afraid of angering them.
At the very least, Sanguine Sacrament needs to be banned from the game. Its existence does nothing, but encourage and enable dishonorable and unsportsmanlike gameplay. The card is unneeded and unwanted.

Next, they need to step up and prevent stall decks by banning cards from play: Amulet, Sacrament, Azor, Compass, Extinction and many others are all cards that potentially NEED to get axed.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AceClown posted:

No he's 100% right, it's terrible.

Lets take one of the most frustrating parts of MTG (not drawing the cards you need) add in politics and bizarre social rules and finally a dash of salt when you actually play a game to win and yeah, sounds like a bowl full of poo poo to me.

Here is a hint, legacy cards are legal. Play the blue cards and stop building bad commander decks. Commander is just singleton Legacy and is actually pretty fun, and hating on it because having to talk to your opponents is pretty lame.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mossyfisk posted:

It would only be nothing less than justice for every player abusing Sacrament to get banned, but I doubt they have the stomach to go through with the moral option. Sadly, they overvalue griefers and are probably afraid of angering them.
At the very least, Sanguine Sacrament needs to be banned from the game. Its existence does nothing, but encourage and enable dishonorable and unsportsmanlike gameplay. The card is unneeded and unwanted.

Next, they need to step up and prevent stall decks by banning cards from play: Amulet, Sacrament, Azor, Compass, Extinction and many others are all cards that potentially NEED to get axed.

...................................I've spent too much time on other Magic forums.

I had to check your post history to make sure this was a joke. This was some straight Poe's Law poo poo for me.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Commander is fun because I get to play Avacyn, Angel of Hope, back her up with Rune Momma and the cheaty boots, then put a Worldslayer in her angelic claws and swing in to destroy everyone else's board. :colbert:

I am spending two weeks 100 miles away from the nearest WPN store and 1,600 away from my decks. Gonna get the shakes from mana withdrawal.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

mossyfisk posted:

Source. Your. Quotes.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

DangerDongs posted:

Here is a hint, legacy cards are legal. Play the blue cards and stop building bad commander decks. Commander is just singleton Legacy and is actually pretty fun, and hating on it because having to talk to your opponents is pretty lame.

And unless your playing with people who all drop 5k on a commander deck full of broken rear end legacy and power cards you'll find yourself asked not to play again because the dude with the janky Minotaur theme deck is going to cry about the imbalance.

Edit, I think it's pretty unanimous on here that a well put together cube is the best format. I've never heard anyone on here say "cube is poo poo"

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Cube is poo poo, chaos reigns.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

black potus posted:

Cube is poo poo, chaos reigns.

related note: chaos drafts are fun as hell, particularly if you bridge sets with return sets and/or TSP block

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

AceClown posted:

And unless your playing with people who all drop 5k on a commander deck full of broken rear end legacy and power cards you'll find yourself asked not to play again because the dude with the janky Minotaur theme deck is going to cry about the imbalance.

Edit, I think it's pretty unanimous on here that a well put together cube is the best format. I've never heard anyone on here say "cube is poo poo"

I want to make an infinite combo deck with Oona, Queen of the Fae. It just requires things like a Grim Monolith to be my second copy of Basalt Monolith and a Power Artifact.

I want to do it just to curb stomp people just because I can. I want a deck for a casual format that includes $170 of value in two cards just to piss all over someone's casual format.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

I can't decide if the "commander is good" group or the "WELL ACTUALY" group is worse.

The only objectively bad format is modern.

Actually they're all bad.

Modern Good, Pauper Good, Commander okay I guess.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

AceClown posted:

This is really dumb hyperbole that does not in any way reflect reality. All of the big money cards that see a lot of play in cEDH have direct minor downgrades for a fraction of the cost. You can make a deck for under 500 dollars that performs well and doesn't run into any of the dumb battlecruiser problems you're talking about.

Go watch some of the Laboratory Maniacs budget deck upgrade videos, they're very good at explaining how to do that sort of thing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Shortest Path posted:

This is really dumb hyperbole that does not in any way reflect reality. All of the big money cards that see a lot of play in cEDH have direct minor downgrades for a fraction of the cost. You can make a deck for under 500 dollars that performs well and doesn't run into any of the dumb battlecruiser problems you're talking about.

Go watch some of the Laboratory Maniacs budget deck upgrade videos, they're very good at explaining how to do that sort of thing.
:psyduck:
It’s real. I’ve seen this happen over and over in different places. My friend literally was asked to downgrade his decks at Uni because nobody wanted to play against them. Even though he had a dozen that were roughly equal in power level and allowed people to borrow them. He was directly responsible for getting people into EDH, but once they had their own decks, they asked him to stop bringing his.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

mossyfisk posted:

You're not LoB. Source your quotes. :colbert:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/state-magic-online-2018-2018-02-08

So triple theros phantom drafts! Only 10 bucks!

They are only making fun of you guys at this point. You keep giving mtgo money. :smugdon:

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Sickening posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/state-magic-online-2018-2018-02-08

They are only making fun of you guys at this point. You keep giving mtgo money. :smugdon:

HAHAHAHA gently caress mtgo

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

:psyduck:
It’s real. I’ve seen this happen over and over in different places. My friend literally was asked to downgrade his decks at Uni because nobody wanted to play against them. Even though he had a dozen that were roughly equal in power level and allowed people to borrow them. He was directly responsible for getting people into EDH, but once they had their own decks, they asked him to stop bringing his.

Sorry I should have clarified that I was responding specifically to the $5k legacy power cards bit. My bad.

Yeah, those people suck and you should avoid interacting with them at all costs. Find a good cEDH playgroup or just do what most of the rest of us do and use discord+cockatrice.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I'm curious how to interpret MTGO ratings. I know its 1600 base and Elo system but how do they tiers shake out? LSV mentioned he peaked in the high 1900s recently so 2k seems like it would be God-Tier, 1900 low level pro, 1800 good player, 1700 FNM guy.

Something like that?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

MTGO players are all pro level. The rating just indicates how bad the shuffler is loving you and if you're on the white list.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

The Shortest Path posted:

Sorry I should have clarified that I was responding specifically to the $5k legacy power cards bit. My bad.

Yeah, those people suck and you should avoid interacting with them at all costs. Find a good cEDH playgroup or just do what most of the rest of us do and use discord+cockatrice.

Casual friends discord or is there a goon MTG one?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Sickening posted:

Holy loving poo poo. I thought you were exaggerating about the price because "MTGO BAD."

NOPE. It's really gonna be :10bux: for a phantom event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sickening posted:

this is loving stupid, the flashback drafts were one of the best parts about mtgo