Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Shai-Hulud posted:

Nah its happening when unplugged. But you remind me of another thing. The charging of the last 10% or so of the battery take pretty loving long. Its not a big deal that its taking longer but it shows like "2 minutes left" for 20 minutes or something while it charges the last 2-3 %.

That's normal for nearly all lithium batteries... As they near full charge the amount of current they will accept tapers off dramatically.

So you may go 0-90% in 30 minutes, but that last 10% may take another 20-30 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's been 3 years since I last bought a new phone, going from a Nexus 5 to a Nexus 6. I'm switching to a Pixel 2 and staying on Project Fi.

Previously, I was able to just use NFC to transfer everything from my old phone to the new one. Will I still be able to do that for the new one? Do I need to do anything with my Fi account to "register" the new device?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

I've never watched it that closely but the time to fully charged is almost always accurate enough for the few times I've cared.

As to your swipe problem, are you always swiping from the same place or have you tried being closer to the middle or edge to see if that makes any difference?

Maybe im just swiping weird. Ill test it a bit more.

Sab669 posted:

It's been 3 years since I last bought a new phone, going from a Nexus 5 to a Nexus 6. I'm switching to a Pixel 2 and staying on Project Fi.

Previously, I was able to just use NFC to transfer everything from my old phone to the new one. Will I still be able to do that for the new one? Do I need to do anything with my Fi account to "register" the new device?

The Pixel 2 comes with a little dongle to plug your old phone in to your new one and transfer all your data. Otherwise it will use Bluetooth as far as i know.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Shai-Hulud posted:

I need to swipe up very deliberately and from the very button to the very top of the screen to have it finish the unlock. Otherwise it just acts like i stopped to early. Its pretty weird.
Anyone else with these problems?

Does this happen when answering calls as well? I remember seeing an article saying some people had this problem

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

necrotic posted:

They show up in now with the notification, so I dunno. Maybe clicking the notification will take you to where you can? Would be nice if they added actions for that up in the notification though.

These articles aren't showing up in Now for me. I guess there's no way to prevent these random notifications without completely turning off notifications from Newsstand. Yuck.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I occasionally get really weird swiping behavior like that. Most recently I couldn't answer a call one handed because it wasn't registering my swipe no matter how far I drug it (maybe half way up the screen). I had to call the person back (shudder).

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Uthor posted:

I occasionally get really weird swiping behavior like that. Most recently I couldn't answer a call one handed because it wasn't registering my swipe no matter how far I drug it (maybe half way up the screen). I had to call the person back (shudder).

Glad I'm not the only one. It can be hard to answer a call sometimes, it wants you to swipe all the way to the top of the screen.

Same with unlocking, it sometimes acts like you are stopping halfway when you are not.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sab669 posted:

It does that, it comes with a dongle that does it, and--you aren't going to believe this because I sure as hell didn't--Google's transfer stuff actually works transparently without you having to do any fuckery like that all! Turn it on, go through the guided setup, and... it actually works.

That said games tend to be the worst with not using Google's backup stuff and if you have a bunch of them you want to carry over you might have issues that even the dongle won't help you with. For those Helium can probably do what you need if copying the folder over or the dongle stuff can't do it for you.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Samsung has started rolling out the Android 8.0 Oreo update for Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus users in Europe.

The build number is G955XXU1CRAP

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The dongle with the P2 is great because its just a nice little USB OTG adapter. Works with flash drives and other stuff like my DSLR perfectly.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Rastor posted:

The build number is G955XXU1CRAP

:vince:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

stevewm posted:

Glad I'm not the only one. It can be hard to answer a call sometimes, it wants you to swipe all the way to the top of the screen.

Same with unlocking, it sometimes acts like you are stopping halfway when you are not.

It's really bad on my tablet, but I blame that on Asus not optimizing the software for the larger screen. Scrolling half way up an 8" screen is so much farther than on a 5" screen!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm pretty sure whatever API or function that's used for swiping is by percentage of screen size, which makes it awkward with larger devices. Google probably needs to tune that a bit.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So I finally got my Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus from Gearbest yesterday after ordering it 2 weeks ago.

This phone owns. MIUI 9 is a little too bubbly and colorful for me, but the amount of options and customization is great. It's got a 6" 18:9 screen and no ridiculous chin like on the OG Pixel. Fingerprint reader is quick and the phone feels super solid to hold. Definitely a great buy at $200.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

It does that, it comes with a dongle that does it, and--you aren't going to believe this because I sure as hell didn't--Google's transfer stuff actually works transparently without you having to do any fuckery like that all! Turn it on, go through the guided setup, and... it actually works.

That said games tend to be the worst with not using Google's backup stuff and if you have a bunch of them you want to carry over you might have issues that even the dongle won't help you with. For those Helium can probably do what you need if copying the folder over or the dongle stuff can't do it for you.

My wife plays a bunch of games and her Pixel XL needs a factory reset because it keeps getting into a state where notification tones wont play. She's too afraid of losing her games progress so now she's just stuck in a constant state of irritation with her phone.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I play a game that requires Google play games, but does not save the progress unless I log in with a Facebook account? Like wtf why even have the Google play games poo poo what purpose does it serve

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Blue Train posted:

I play a game that requires [...] Facebook

Well there's your problem.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Blue Train posted:

I play a game that requires Google play games, but does not save the progress unless I log in with a Facebook account? Like wtf why even have the Google play games poo poo what purpose does it serve

That's not a limitation of GPG, that's the developer requiring Facebook to have better access to users data. Basically, they're a bad developer and being invasive.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Taffer posted:

That's not a limitation of GPG, that's the developer requiring Facebook to have better access to users data. Basically, they're a bad developer and being invasive.

I figured as much. Jokes on them I just start it over when I wipe

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Shai-Hulud posted:

So some issues with my Pixel 2 XL:

Sometimes Touch on the lockscreen is...weird. I double tap to wake the phone and if i try to swipe a notification away it just won't do it. I registers the swipe but the notification just stays. I have to try like 5 times until i finally works. Same with unlocking. I need to swipe up very deliberately and from the very button to the very top of the screen to have it finish the unlock. Otherwise it just acts like i stopped to early. Its pretty weird.
Anyone else with these problems?

Yea mines been doing that since the 8.0 update came out. It seems to be a bug that they keep saying they will have a fix for in the next update, which was like 3 updates ago now.

On the upside, the latest Feb update does seem to make the screen a bit more sensitive and accurate than before, and performance is great again like it always seems to be after an update.

What was weird was the OTA update didn't work from the phone, but pushing it via ADB sideload worked normally. No idea why as the last 2 OTA updates worked just fine before.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Taffer posted:

While that's most likely the reason, they may also use Facebook to enable cross platform play.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Desk Lamp posted:

While that's most likely the reason, they may also use Facebook to enable cross platform play.

There is zero reason why facebook would be required for cross platform play.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Blue Train posted:

I figured as much. Jokes on them I just start it over when I wipe

I believe you mean you play with rogue-like elements

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Taffer posted:

There is zero reason why facebook would be required for cross platform play.

I never said it was required, but it can be used in lieu of other solutions.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

My wife plays a bunch of games and her Pixel XL needs a factory reset because it keeps getting into a state where notification tones wont play. She's too afraid of losing her games progress so now she's just stuck in a constant state of irritation with her phone.

Helium should be rather painless for this though? If she's afraid and won't let you try for fear of it not working, verify first that you can move the game progress to your phone using it and if it works, then reset her phone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

Helium should be rather painless for this though? If she's afraid and won't let you try for fear of it not working, verify first that you can move the game progress to your phone using it and if it works, then reset her phone.

Yeah, there's solutions I just haven't taken the time to look into it and she's afraid to try it.

My point was that it's a stupid situation that game devs and/or Google have created.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh god emojis look dumb as poo poo in Android 8 and I'm really embarrassed by how much this bothers me. I want to go back to 7 now. Other than that, I'm digging my pixel 2 so far. Was dying at work just waiting to go home and set it up

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

You gotta root it and install emoji switcher and bring back the blobs, obv

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Literally any emoji set is better than the blobs, including the Oreo set. :colbert:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have no issues at all with the new emojis :shrug:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Rastor posted:

Literally any emoji set is better than the blobs, including the Oreo set. :colbert:

powerfully wrong. emoji one best emoji

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

All emoji sets are equally good/bad.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Nah ios is like aol tier garbage and now so is android

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Blobs are best

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Google is getting sued over the microphone issue on the 1st gen pixel

quote:

The same San Francisco law firm that recently settled arbitration claims against LG over the "bootloop" issue has now filed a new proposed class-action lawsuit against Google. This time, the firm is alleging manufacturing defects in the microphone on Pixel and Pixel XL handsets.

The firm's clients—Patricia Weeks of Florida and Waleed Anbar of California—say that they both purchased Pixel phones in 2016. However, months after their purchases, they both said that they experienced a defective microphone. The case, Weeks v. Google, was filed Tuesday in federal court in San Jose, California.

When they approached Google's customer service, they were told that Google would not refund them or offer a replacement.

"Dr. Weeks did not know that the Pixel phones have defective microphones when she bought her phone. Had Google disclosed the defect to her, she would not have bought a Pixel or would have paid substantially less for it," the complaint states.

Weeks was definitely within her one year warranty: she informed Google of her problem in March 2017, three months after her December 2016 purchase. Anbar was not; he bought his phone in December 2016 and reported the issue in January 2018.

Both plaintiffs are being represented by Girard Gibbs.

Other users began reporting faulty microphones around the same timeframe, not long after the Pixel's launch in October 2016.

The lawsuit claims that, among other allegations, Google is in breach of its own warranty, which states that the company "will in its sole discretion and to the extent permitted by law either repair your Phone using new or refurbished parts, replace your Phone with a new or refurbished Phone functionally at least equivalent to yours, or accept the return of the Phone in exchange for a refund of the purchase price you paid for the Phone."

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

Google is getting sued over the microphone issue on the 1st gen pixel

Seems like they're getting sued for not honoring their warranty rather than the microphone.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I had no strong opinion on the blobs either way but wowee the gradients and outlines in the new ones are extremely terrible

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Thermopyle posted:

This actually sounds like something I'm running into, and not on a Pixel. Not only does notification sounds stop working (including alarms), but attempting to play video results in an error, and in app calling functions (e.g. Hangouts) freeze when attempting to join the call. On the other hand, music player works fine as does regular calls? :confuoot:

Does a factory reset fix it permanently? Right now I just reboot and that sorts it until it happens again, but I haven't been able to pin down the exact cause that triggers it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

isndl posted:

This actually sounds like something I'm running into, and not on a Pixel. Not only does notification sounds stop working (including alarms), but attempting to play video results in an error, and in app calling functions (e.g. Hangouts) freeze when attempting to join the call. On the other hand, music player works fine as does regular calls? :confuoot:

Does a factory reset fix it permanently? Right now I just reboot and that sorts it until it happens again, but I haven't been able to pin down the exact cause that triggers it.

I don't know if a factory reset would fix it, it's just the next thing I'd do to troubleshoot it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

As much as I loved the blobs, there was a non-zero chance that they didn't match up with nearly every other emoji design. Problem is they replaced them with some remarkably badly designed ones.