Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sarajevo Olympic Village

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I remember the Sochi thread, it was all "you get no wall in toilet, but you also get three stray dog"

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Guy Goodbody posted:

Munich's Olympic Stadium train station

OMG, I JUST SPIT MY LUNCH OUT ALL OVER MY KEYBOARD AND THEN MY SIDES LITERALLY SPLIT OPEN AND I'M PROBABLY GETTING FIRED FOR MAKING SUCH A MESS!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phy posted:

I remember the Sochi thread, it was all "you get no wall in toilet, but you also get three stray dog"

My understanding is that they killed most of the stray dogs before the games, so it wasn't a problem.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.

chitoryu12 posted:

Let's all remind ourselves that this is the current Deputy Assistant Secretary for Health Information Technology Reform.

aka DA poo poo'R

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Tokyo is going to be such a poo poo show, it's already so crowded, add millions of Olympic idiots and the city is going to shut down.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I just don't understand why Olympic facilities always get abandonded.
You spent billions of dollars on this poo poo, why not have a series of the best rec centers in the world?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Brewmaster posted:

Anyone have any funny olympics pictures? I'm trying to get psyched for the opening ceremony.

Finnish team's hotel room:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inzombiac posted:

You spent billions of dollars on this poo poo, why not have a series of the best rec centers in the world?

Are you seriously asking why the City of Athens doesn't maintain it's world class kayaking venue? For the millions of kayaking enthusiasts in the greater Athens area?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Has any funny stuff come out of the current Olympics? I haven't heard of Rio-level hijinks.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Kennel posted:

Finnish team's hotel room:

Is this from this year or from Sochi? After the hilarity of Sochi, this year as been pretty light for Olympic disasters. By this time before Sochi we had a huge dump of picture of terrible building.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Guy Goodbody posted:

Are you seriously asking why the City of Athens doesn't maintain it's world class kayaking venue? For the millions of kayaking enthusiasts in the greater Athens area?

Okay fine but you'd think SOME of the facilities would still be used.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Brocktoon posted:

Is this from this year or from Sochi? After the hilarity of Sochi, this year as been pretty light for Olympic disasters. By this time before Sochi we had a huge dump of picture of terrible building.

Sochi. I'm not sure there's been a Winter Olympics that was a bigger clusterfuck in recent history.

To top it all off, Bob Costas got conjunctivitis :v:

vvv Whaaaaaaat? Seriously? You'd think any host city would have at least tried to learn from the Sochi disaster.

Fritz Coldcockin has a new favorite as of 17:33 on Feb 8, 2018

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Brocktoon posted:

It's this year.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Guy Goodbody posted:

My understanding is that they killed most of the stray dogs before the games, so it wasn't a problem.

Did they at least eat them so they didn't go to waste?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Inzombiac posted:

Don't forget that the purpose of Olympic facilities is to funnel government money into the pockets of your friends who own construction companies.

Once they are built, they have fulfilled their purpose and can be ignored.

Who cares about athletes? They are poor and rarely award large contracts to your friends.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I would assume it's not exactly cheap to maintain them either.

It's almost like the whole thing's a big scam :thunk:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

https://twitter.com/naevaypal/status/955113049576411137

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
You'd think they would plan on a secondary purpose after the games are finished so they just don't sit there and rot. Even very specific events like kayaking you can fill with inflatable ramps and pwc's. Maybe build a wipe out obstacle course. Do anything besides absolutely nothing. Money seems like a pointless thing to mention when it never seems to be a issue getting them built to begin with.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

So I guess Russia wasn't allowed to send athletes but nobody seems to mind that there are about 200 athletes competing who just happen to be from Russia?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Shnag posted:

You'd think they would plan on a secondary purpose after the games are finished so they just don't sit there and rot. Even very specific events like kayaking you can fill with inflatable ramps and pwc's. Maybe build a wipe out obstacle course. Do anything besides absolutely nothing. Money seems like a pointless thing to mention when it never seems to be a issue getting them built to begin with.

when the whole thing's a vehicle for bribes lucrative contracts, why bother to think long-term? :capitalism:

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Olympic villages are great Keynesian infrastructure projects. I think they're supposed to rot afterwards. Not that turning them into community housing or free clinics would break my heart...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Brewmaster posted:

Anyone have any funny olympics pictures? I'm trying to get psyched for the opening ceremony.

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.
They reuse some of the facilities. I remember you used to be able to use a bunch of the stuff in Lake Placid in upstate New York. I had some friends who went down the bobsled track but I was like lol gently caress that I've seen Cool Runnings I know how this turns out.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Hey n00b, show the whole picture so we can read what the asterisk is referring to.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

No ring.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Aleph Null posted:

Hey n00b, show the whole picture so we can read what the asterisk is referring to.

Trump's Presidency

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Olympics have been a festival of graft for years. And kicking people out of their homes.

London had McDonalds be the only company allowed to serve chips during the games, and anti-air missile silos literally mounted on suburban homes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

Olympic villages are great Keynesian infrastructure projects. I think they're supposed to rot afterwards. Not that turning them into community housing or free clinics would break my heart...

Technically all the stuff built for an Olympic event is supposed to be used, but in practice it ends up not having the necessary demand and the cost of upkeep is too great so it just gets left to rot.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

So I guess Russia wasn't allowed to send athletes but nobody seems to mind that there are about 200 athletes competing who just happen to be from Russia?

Russia is barred from competing as a nation, but the athletes are still allowed to compete as "Olympic Athletes from Russia" under the Olympic flag:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Athletes_from_Russia_at_the_2018_Winter_Olympics

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

LifeSunDeath posted:

Tokyo is going to be such a poo poo show, it's already so crowded, add millions of Olympic idiots and the city is going to shut down.

They were "awarded" the Olympics during the middle of the controvery about doing the Olympics in Rio, and Tokyo's bid was basically "it will be pretty clean, the trains will run on time, and you probably won't get mugged"

At the time of course nobody could predict how high the odds would be that by 2020 Tokyo will primarily be a transit and storage depot for the US military engaged in Korea War 2, but whadayagonado

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shnag posted:

they typically do plan secondary purposes, but after the olympics are over political will and funding evaporates and it's easier to just let all the brand new poo poo fall to ruin if there's no immediate need for it. plus there's a problem if the city doesn't have already extant transportation infrastructure and sport facilities, the 1996 atlanta games could be had on the cheap because they didn't have to build many venues vs. just renting venues all around atlanta and the southeastern united states. plenty of cities build all that stuff from scratch, where it didn't previously exist for a reason

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Inzombiac posted:

Okay fine but you'd think SOME of the facilities would still be used.

Olympic Stadium in Berlin gets used still.

Yep, the one during THAT olympics.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

P sure Vancouver turned their athletes' village into college dorms and still use a good portion of the venues. They also didn't blow absurd money on it (comparatively speaking). And they got some long needed infrastructure!

I mean, it was still corrupt as hell and lined the pockets developers, but in a slightly more quaint :canada: way.

That said, gently caress the Olympics.

Gallery link

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/thepunningman/status/961610172237074434

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Stockholms Olympic arena is still standing and in frequent use.

It was built for the 1912 summer olympics

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

chitoryu12 posted:

Has any funny stuff come out of the current Olympics? I haven't heard of Rio-level hijinks.

Well, it could turn into a literal shitshow.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

JoelJoel posted:

P sure Vancouver turned their athletes' village into college dorms and still use a good portion of the venues. They also didn't blow absurd money on it (comparatively speaking). And they got some long needed infrastructure!

I mean, it was still corrupt as hell and lined the pockets developers, but in a slightly more quaint :canada: way.

Gallery link

Re: Vancouver, as someone who lives in the massive part of British Columbia that is not the Vancouver area, the Olympics involved a lot of the provincial government (because it was definitely handled on a provincial level, not a federal) ignoring northern infrastructure issues in order to pay to make the lower mainland a bit more shiny. Sure, Vancouver got some great infrastructure. I live ten hours away, provincial debt was increased by $24 billion, and we sure didn't get any of the tourism or job creation benefits they liked to tout.

But then, the provincial government screwing over the the rest of the province is nothing new. "We're going to close a whole bunch of small schools. Somehow this is going to mean only schools outside the lower mainland and mostly rural, and they can just go to other schools, who cares if that means we're expecting six year olds to ride the bus for two hours every morning to schools that are now very overcrowded because three schools are now one school? We don't have overcrowding! If you take the average of the province, including all the small schools in Vancouver we didn't touch, there's no problem!"

I like opening and closing ceremonies, though. They're fun and ridiculous.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

JoelJoel posted:

Gallery link

That last one should be titled "calm3.jpg".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

i legit cracked up at this