Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

voltcatfish posted:

is the best version of ff6 still the gba port
Yeah, unless you can tolerate the awful garbage of the new rerelease's mismatched graphics in which case uh I hear there's some gameplay improvements maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Surely someone has modded the Steam version to look acceptable by now. Or modded the gba version to have the good music?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The last few pages are making ff12 sound loving terrible

I think that's a bit harsh. FF12 would need to have anything memorable about it to truly be considered terrible.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Surely someone has modded the Steam version to look acceptable by now. Or modded the gba version to have the good music?

I think there is actually a mod that fixes the clashing resolutions and weird tiling issues but its still ugly as sin imo

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

:sigh:

I'm definitely enjoying the setting and stuff (although I'm still waiting for the plot to actually go anywhere) but the gameplay just feels like a big collection of wasted potential. There are so many things that could be a lot of fun with a few minor changes. But they're not.

For example I really liked the idea of the gambit system, but it's too limited to actually make interesting AIs with it and even if you could make more interesting AIs I'm pretty sure "Any Foe: Attack" with the 4x fast forward would be enough for most of the game. Same goes for the job system. If the jobs actually provided something unique (other than autoattacking with a different looking weapon) instead of just being a collection of generic abilities shared by everyone that would be great. And the licenses could be cool if they actually gave you interesting stuff, but like the name implies it just allows you to use interesting stuff. You still gotta find/buy it elsewhere. At the start of the game I beelined for this ability that sounded really awesome, but once I got it I realized that I wouldn't be able to get that ability until much later in the game. There's no sense of wonder to leveling up and getting new abilities or equipment either since it's all laid out on the license board. There's no "oh boy I wonder what magic I'll learn next" because you already unlocked that license hours ago and you're waiting for the shops in the game to start selling it, at which point everyone with the license gets to use it :geno:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FWIW the FF12 plot never really goes anywhere interesting.

I used to like the game well enough but playing and reflecting on Zodiac Age really soured me on it as a whole.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Or modded the gba version to have the good music?

Hmm, looks like the GBA version has a sound restoration hack and a color restoration hack (the colors on the GBA one are hosed due to being designed for the GBA's mediocre screen). I saw a few precompiled roms of that floating around, though can't link because filez. But that'd be what you want if you go GBA.

The screen's still cramped and too small, and I still say the woolsey translation is charming, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It is

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I think you guys are forgetting that FF12 brought us this amazing version of Battle on the Big Bridge?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkY-iM-FJug

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like the generic boss theme in FF12 better tbh.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FF12 is an extemely chill game because its story and mechanics never get pushed to do anything intersting even if the gound work is all there so you just kind of push the thumbstick towards the game ending

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Raxivace posted:

FWIW the FF12 plot never really goes anywhere interesting.

I used to like the game well enough but playing and reflecting on Zodiac Age really soured me on it as a whole.

Same same same. I used to think it was really good but it's just so boring to play. Idk if its it's own fault or the fact that games have moved on drastically in the intervening years, probably a bit of both, but idk if I can be bothered to finish it tbqh

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's kinda making me want to play FFXIV though.

...and then I remember that FFXIV still doesn't have antialiasing in TYOOL2018 and with all the flickering, spell effects and ridiculous UI elements it's too much for me :(

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Your Computer posted:

It's kinda making me want to play FFXIV though.

...and then I remember that FFXIV still doesn't have antialiasing in TYOOL2018 and with all the flickering, spell effects and ridiculous UI elements it's too much for me :(

Can you antialias it with ReShade.me? (Formerly SweetFX)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Hmm, looks like the GBA version has a sound restoration hack and a color restoration hack (the colors on the GBA one are hosed due to being designed for the GBA's mediocre screen). I saw a few precompiled roms of that floating around, though can't link because filez. But that'd be what you want if you go GBA.

The screen's still cramped and too small, and I still say the woolsey translation is charming, though.

Hmm, going to inject one of those onto my 3ds and see how it plays

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Like halfway through you meet Tommy Dreamer and he's like 'well you either gotta wield the weapon or destroy it', which are yes the two options that exist.

And then the next half of the game is just moving through random zones and occasionally someone brings up the point maybe Ashe should make a decision.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Can you antialias it with ReShade.me? (Formerly SweetFX)

You can, but not enough to stop the flickering :( Also since it's post-processing the entire screen, you'll blur the crap out of the UI and make text nigh unreadable. It's not just the lack of AA that's the problem, it's the the environments themselves; there are a shitton of small blades of grass, leaves, etc. that make the flickering really bad regardless of how good the post-processing AA is.

e: and the shadows too. They move constantly and update at a low framerate:
https://i.imgur.com/DGkWhjP.mp4
this isn't a choppy gif, it's just the shadows updating at like 20 fps

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 8, 2018

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Saint Freak posted:

Like halfway through you meet Tommy Dreamer and he's like 'well you either gotta wield the weapon or destroy it', which are yes the two options that exist.

And then the next half of the game is just moving through random zones and occasionally someone brings up the point maybe Ashe should make a decision.

is the weapon a kendo stick or a singapore cane?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Parachute posted:

is the weapon a kendo stick or a singapore cane?

Barbwire bat

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

fridge corn posted:

Same same same. I used to think it was really good but it's just so boring to play. Idk if its it's own fault or the fact that games have moved on drastically in the intervening years, probably a bit of both, but idk if I can be bothered to finish it tbqh

It's not bad, but think part of why I never finished TZA is because I just don't have the time for marathon gaming sessions like I used to. The idea of spending 6+ hours just doing sidequests and not advancing the plot at all is less alluring now.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
FF 12 would be cooler with more moments like the Vossler boss. That whole bit says a lot about the party it's great.

Actually my dream version of ff 12 would involve giving like a tales or xenoblade treatment and make the party way chattier. Your stuck with these 6 doofuses all game and they go through hell and everywhere in between together, you'd think they'd buddy up after a while. Maybe add an affinity system too that boosts quickening rates or something as your party fights together more.

It maybe I'm just a sucker for teamwork mechanics. It's just weird these guys go all over Ivalice on this mission and don't ever hardly interact.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I wish there was a single player version of ff14

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

fridge corn posted:

I wish there was a single player version of ff14

If they keep expanding the GC Bots there just may be someday.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I wish Gilgamesh was real.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It is!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Speaking of ff6, I’ve never played it so I dusted off a snes rom and I can’t tell what this translation is. Terra is Tina, kefka is cefca, Locke is lock, and that’s as far as I’ve got so far so I don’t know what else is weird

Googling tells me these are the Japanese names, but all the text is in English so I’m not sure what I’m playing. Should I find a new rom or am I good? I never played it on snes originally so I have nothing to compare it to

I don’t think it’s :filez: to talk about snes roms but in case it is, my name is Jeffrey squarenix and my uncle owns Nintendo so it’s actually not possible for me to steal

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ainsley McTree posted:

Speaking of ff6, I’ve never played it so I dusted off a snes rom and I can’t tell what this translation is. Terra is Tina, kefka is cefca, Locke is lock, and that’s as far as I’ve got so far so I don’t know what else is weird

Googling tells me these are the Japanese names, but all the text is in English so I’m not sure what I’m playing. Should I find a new rom or am I good? I never played it on snes originally so I have nothing to compare it to

I don’t think it’s :filez: to talk about snes roms but in case it is, my name is Jeffrey squarenix and my uncle owns Nintendo so it’s actually not possible for me to steal

I thought the internet was over these haunted game kart creepypastas by now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

That sounds like you got a crappy fan translation.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I thought the internet was over these haunted game kart creepypastas by now.

I don’t know what this means

ImpAtom posted:

That sounds like you got a crappy fan translation.

Maybe. I’ve had this rom for....10+ years? I don’t remember how I got it

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Nah, FF12 is good, especially the IZJS version. But don't go in expecting a "Job System" like in FFV or FFT, because it's not. It just makes the characters have distinct stat, equipment, and skill selections for a job you choose for them, but it's nothing like swapping jobs during the game for different appearances and ability mixing.

People complaining that cutting through trash isn't engaging enough are kinda disingenuous because cutting through trash is never really engaging in FF games, especially not in the first 85% of the game. But the battle system is fun for hard encounters, and that's why the game has a hundred million hunts and optional bosses. Those can be very challenging when they first become available, and will overwhelm you if you try to rely on a basic gambit setup. I found myself having to constantly interrupt to have a character do something outside their gambit setup, or adjust the gambits as the boss changes their tactics.

The IZJS does have quite a few set chests with fixed treasures that don't respawn to encourage exploring. There are ALSO respawning chests with lesser or less reliable loot to give you something to do and collect as you go through areas again.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also there aren't any chests that make the Zodiac Spear disappear in ZA, that was only a thing in the original release, please stop repeating that poo poo when people are obviously talking about ZA.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Schwartzcough posted:

People complaining that cutting through trash isn't engaging enough are kinda disingenuous because cutting through trash is never really engaging in FF games,

FFV has some fun random encounters and the job system actually makes even trash encounters fun cause you get to mess around with ability interactions.FF13 and it's sequels have actually fun gameplay and 13 and LR at least put some thought into their normal encounters so you have to actually mess with the systems to do well. The majority of Hunts in FF12 aren't interesting or fun either, you just have to see what they do in the first few seconds of the fight and you can usually slam out a gambit list mid combat that makes them easily beatable.

The gameplay is bad, the story and cast are non-existent, and most of the level design is atrocious and doing all the inane bullshit to get some of the hunts to spawn is always a groan inducing experience. It's a bad game who's mechanics are too simple even for Final Fantasy and it doesn't have the fun stuff that most FF's have to make up for being very simple and easy RPGs.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
All FF games from 1 to 9 are terrible slogs mechanically.

FFX tries to do something different, FFXII bypasses these with fast forward and gambits

FFXV is still in beta testing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Nah, FF12 is good, especially the IZJS version. But don't go in expecting a "Job System" like in FFV or FFT, because it's not. It just makes the characters have distinct stat, equipment, and skill selections for a job you choose for them, but it's nothing like swapping jobs during the game for different appearances and ability mixing.

People complaining that cutting through trash isn't engaging enough are kinda disingenuous because cutting through trash is never really engaging in FF games, especially not in the first 85% of the game. But the battle system is fun for hard encounters, and that's why the game has a hundred million hunts and optional bosses. Those can be very challenging when they first become available, and will overwhelm you if you try to rely on a basic gambit setup. I found myself having to constantly interrupt to have a character do something outside their gambit setup, or adjust the gambits as the boss changes their tactics.

The IZJS does have quite a few set chests with fixed treasures that don't respawn to encourage exploring. There are ALSO respawning chests with lesser or less reliable loot to give you something to do and collect as you go through areas again.

We've had this discussion before but especially in the new version this is ever less true than before. The complete lack of genuine rebalancing around having two jobs means that the game's hunts are easier than ever and automating them takes even less effort. The original game had more broken mechanics in different ways but the latest version bloats your abilities so much it's ridiculous.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Its not like the game forces you two pick two jobs

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

WaltherFeng posted:

Sure but I don't think that having the player not make use of an advertised new feature is a great defense. Rather I think that the difference in power level the second job adds isn't that imbalanced. The hard hunts are still hard, but your party becomes a bit more homogenized which I think is the real drawback.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

No, and FF6 doesn't force you to equip Espers, FF7 doesn't force you to use Materia, FFVIII doesn't force you to use GFs or junction, FFIX doesn't force you to learn skills from equipment, FFX doesn't force you to level up at all, and FFXIII doesn't force you to use the Crystarium. That doesn't mean anyone discussing a regular playthrough of the game is going to be using that as a baseline.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've literally never had fun doing random encounters, because the general concept of random encounters is archaic bullshit. FF12 was the first non-MMO FF to make enemies visible on the map, and it gives you the option to evade or fight them as you wish, and I think it's great just for that.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

No, and FF6 doesn't force you to equip Espers, FF7 doesn't force you to use Materia, FFVIII doesn't force you to use GFs or junction, FFIX doesn't force you to learn skills from equipment, FFX doesn't force you to level up at all, and FFXIII doesn't force you to use the Crystarium. That doesn't mean anyone discussing a regular playthrough of the game is going to be using that as a baseline.

Thats dumb argument because IZJS version was based around single jobs and choosing one job in TZA is just like the old version. Its literally a choice between:

Do you like old school? Or you just wanna max your poo poo

Theres no version of FF7 without materia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Thats dumb argument because IZJS version was based around single jobs and choosing one job in TZA how is just like the old version

Theres no version of FF7 without materia

So? The IZJS is itself a revision of the game and the latest revision added a second job. You're doing the exact same thing of recommending to people they don't use a mechanic because it makes the game too easy and then try to excuse it with "Well, there was a version of the game that didn't have that mechanic." Yes, there is. It isn't the one that exists. It's also not like IZJS was a flawlessly balanced masterpiece. The second job makes an absurdly easy game easier.