Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Jack Trades posted:

I wonder if it's the translators that are responsible for that or the developers.

Now that I think about it, is Elder Scrolls even a thing in Japan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Japan loved Skyrim.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Of course it is. Skyrim in particular and the 3D Fallouts did really well over there.

Huh.
I would never have guessed that was the case.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Jack Trades posted:

Huh.

Their modding community is, if anything, even more impressive and unsettling than in the west.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Jack Trades posted:

Huh.

Skyrim's on the Switch, so anything is possible.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I don't understand though. Arrow to/through knee=perma-crippled, yes. Where's the joke?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Bloodly posted:

I don't understand though. Arrow to/through knee=perma-crippled, yes. Where's the joke?

did you play skyrim? Its a NPC line that gets recycled too many times

(there's no joke. jokes are funny. arrow-to-the-knee lines are not funny.)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bloodly posted:

The joke is that pretty much every NPC in Skyrim says it to you. It’s an oddly specific injury (and career path) for so many to have.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
It's supposed to be slang for getting married. But of course nerds take things literally and it's still a very stupid meme.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Drakenel posted:

It's supposed to be slang for getting married. But of course nerds take things literally and it's still a very stupid meme.

I have never heard this. The inflection on the voice line doesn't match that interpretation, either.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Drakenel posted:

It's supposed to be slang for getting married.

Nope, debunked to hell and back

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I am slow.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Despite Huang Gai losing his boat, he still does wrestling moves.

DW9 confirmed good.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Largepotato posted:

Despite Huang Gai losing his boat, he still does wrestling moves.

DW9 confirmed good.

I wish Basara would get this treatment so I could do wrestling moves with Kanbei.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

Found another video that shows off some more of the voicework: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pHiDDi4sbQ

Lu Bu sounds...off.

Watching this, I think what's bothering me about the English VA is that apart from it being a step back from the dub of DW8, the voices are all sort flat. I know the comparisons been made to the DW3-era of dubbing, but that was entertaining moreso in that regard that the VAs didn't know how to pronounce the names properly ("You must remember this, Cow Cow!"), and it seemed like they were trying to over-embellish. From what we've seen of DW9, it just seems pretty rote, it almost sounds like one guy doing all the voices, and not putting a lot of effort into it.

I’m still laughing at the scene with Yuan Shao at the end of the first video.

But it’s funny in a low-effort, bad way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

just a note that this line here was actually in the original japanese despite a ton of weird nerds getting mad about translators adding memes, so it wouldn't surprise me if the joke in dw9 was in the original japanese too

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Japan loved Skyrim.

Japan loved Oblivion as well. In fact, I remember hearing somewhere that the popularity of Oblivion in Japan is part of what prompted From Software to make Demon's Souls; it was partially intended to cash in on the popularity of the Elder Scrolls.

EDIT: Stop Skeletons From Fighting details this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j9ZPAyfPYQ&t=110s

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 8, 2018

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
I watched a stream and DW9 is the jankiest game I've seen a while, it looks worse than ELEX
what the gently caress lol

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

singateco posted:

I watched a stream and DW9 is the jankiest game I've seen a while, it looks worse than ELEX
what the gently caress lol

So in other words, its Dynasty Warriors? :v:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Unlucky7 posted:

So in other words, its Dynasty Warriors? :v:

Yeah, I'm not sure why we're setting our expectations so high here. I mean, it's not S.T.A.L.K.E.R. levels of jank, but they're trying to break the mold a bit here. I'd be shocked if there wasn't jank for this entry.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

As far as I can see, it's delivering what was wanted for a long while: 'Dynasty Warriors, But With Open-World'. They've never done open world, so it's gonna be funky, even with plenty of examples to draw on as inspiration.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

They at least have experience with open world via Toukiden 2, so it won't be too bad.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Toukiden 2 was actually pretty great and the PC port of it was good too.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Is DW9 $70 by default everywhere? The hell is this?

E; Ignore my dumb rear end, had to go back one page further.

Orv fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 9, 2018

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Orv posted:

Is DW9 $70 by default everywhere? The hell is this?

E; Ignore my dumb rear end, had to back go one page further.

It has to be because GMG has a 25% coupon that is valid on the game. Dunno what they're gonna do when it actually launches for $60.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ah, that'd do it, thanks.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I took off Wednesday and Thursday instead of my normal Tu/Wed when a new game comes out because I'm holding out on impressions. I haven't played a DW game since 2002-ish?, bought DW8 on steam a few years back but bounced off because of the bad gamepad controls, and this is landing right when I am itching for a mindless podcast game. i don't mind if a self-professed musou fan like Jim Sterling isn't blown away by it (and I respect his opinion) but unless its catastrophically bad/broken, I'll buy it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

It seems like the big game right now is Monster Hunter World, and while it's sort of piqued my interest, at the same time, the gameplay for it doesn't really wow me all that much. Dynasty Warriors 9 is the one game I've really been anticipating, and I'm leaning more towards dropping $60 on DW9 rather than MHW because I have brain problems.

That being said, I'm waiting for it actually come and see what the thread's reaction to it is going to be. A lot of what I've seen recently had made me skeptical, and I already was sort of skeptical about it being open-world. Admittedly, I'm pretty new to the Musou games (I've mainly played DW8 on PC and SW4Empires on PS4), and I'm not familiar with a lot of the games, but what I have played I've really liked, so I'm still excited for it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Okay, I got the game early and it did not leave a good impression on me so far. That said, I don’t want to poo poo on a game ahead of release and I want to give it more time anyway. Rescinding for now

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 9, 2018

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Saw some videos.

WTF is with the english voices having. a pause. after every. other word. Did they. splice. together. all the. dialogue?

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Max Wilco posted:

I'm leaning more towards dropping $60 on DW9 rather than MHW because I have brain problems.

At least you're admitting it :v:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

thorsilver posted:

At least you're admitting it :v:

It's not like I think MHW looks bad. What puts me off about it, though, is that it seems like you've got to invest a lot of time into it, and it relies on you being able to connect with others in multiplayer so as to complete quests more easily. It's more of fear of dropping the money on it and not really having time to make a dent in it between work, other games, and whatnot.

DW9 I'm expecting to be like the other games, where you can pick it up and play without much hassle, only in an open-world environment.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Giant Bomb will have a quick look posting tomorrow at 6am EST. I don’t need validation if they don’t like it, I’m more interested in seeing long uncut video of the final version. I’ve thus far avoided most of it pre-release

e: also, the trophy list is here http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/02/06/dynasty-warriors-9-trophies-killing-100000-warriors/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Platinum requires 100,000 k.o.’s

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 10, 2018

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i got the game today, beaten the yellow turbans. the open world kinda sucks

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How's the performance? I heard it kind of runs bad on the normal PS4, unless it's being patched in a day-one.

I'm curious to see how they using this engine in an Empires game and how they change things up when it comes to Samurai Warriors.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

on a pro, haven't had much framerate problems but popup is horrendous and the draw distance is awful

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I've been eating up footage, and I think I've realised something.

The heart of a game where you'd create a character and try to live through the Three Kingdoms, making friends and alliances, choosing a kingdom, and seeing various events, is all there.

Except you can't actually create-a-character.(Yet.)

You'd expect to have more unique missions for the main Warriors, but there are not. Many times your character doesn't even speak up. The free weapon choice(You can use whatever you'd like, at full skill; you'll pull out your favoured weapon for unique actions.) also adds to this.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

having played up to chapter 4.5, yeah i don't think this is a good game

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Do you think there is room for improvement using this engine or is the whole thing just a bad idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Just for the sake of variety, I have seen more positive impressions from a few people elsewhere, particularly those playing on higher difficulties (it seems to make a difference in terms of AI behavior).

Beyond that...it's really going to come down to personal expectations about the game, especially whether or not the open world implementation is worthwhile as a rough proof of concept even if it's not up to date with current standards from more experienced developers yet, outside of purely technical issues like performance quibbles.

Jimbot posted:

Do you think there is room for improvement using this engine or is the whole thing just a bad idea?

There's always room for improvement on paper, I would say, depending on your patience as a player.

Bloodly posted:

The heart of a game where you'd create a character and try to live through the Three Kingdoms, making friends and alliances, choosing a kingdom, and seeing various events, is all there.

Except you can't actually create-a-character.(Yet.)

Wait for DW9 Empires, I assume. Unless they decide to incorporate that into the main game later on.