Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Poil posted:

What the heck did that land reform do? Turn farmland into wasteland?

A paramilitary group tacitly endorsed by Mugabe seized all the farmland held by large, mostly-white landowners and gave most of it to Mugabe cronies who may or may not have known how to farm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Kennel posted:

Is that post-gerrymandered Pennsylvania?

Potentially. A lawyer is redrawing all the congressional districts and soliciting public feedback with a goal of ultimately submitting them to supreme courts for consideration. He's done PA, NC, and TX so far. You can click through that image for details.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Pakled posted:

A paramilitary group tacitly endorsed by Mugabe seized all the farmland held by large, mostly-white landowners and gave most of it to Mugabe cronies who may or may not have known how to farm.

One of my favorite cronyism stories is how under the Mobutu government in Zaire (now DRC), they confiscated a lot of businesses belonging to the Indian and Middle Eastern diaspora in the capital. Really blatant stuff, like one day all of a sudden some Lebanese family is preparing to flee the country and a government staffer's 16yr old daughter now owns a hardware store.

The best part if that after the cronies sold off all their inventory and pocketed all the capital, they contacted the former business owners asking "so, when is the new inventory coming in so we can keep selling stuff?"

EDIT: as far as I can tell, The Conversation is a lefty site but not all the way a tankie site, but The Conversation has a pretty detailed article claiming that Land Reform is starting to pay off and maize production has caught up to white farmer levels: http://theconversation.com/land-reform-is-a-zimbabwe-success-story-it-will-be-the-basis-for-economic-recovery-under-mnangagwa-88205

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 8, 2018

feller
Jul 5, 2006

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

EDIT: as far as I can tell, The Conversation is a lefty site but not all the way a tankie site, but The Conversation has a pretty detailed article claiming that Land Reform is starting to pay off and maize production has caught up to white farmer levels: http://theconversation.com/land-reform-is-a-zimbabwe-success-story-it-will-be-the-basis-for-economic-recovery-under-mnangagwa-88205

"pay off" doesn't seem like the right phrase to me

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Poil posted:

What the heck did that land reform do? Turn farmland into wasteland?

In short: yes.

In longer: as mentioned by the other posters, pre-Mugabe in then Rhodesia there was a very well developed, well run, modern, agricultural sector. It was known as the breadbasket of Africa due to its success. It was almost exclusively white owned however, which once Zimbabwe got its independence wasn't going to be a sustainable situation long-term.

The smart thing to do would either be to buy out the white landowners and pay them to stay on the land for a number of years afterwards to transfer knowledge to the new owners. Or, if kicking the white owners straight off, to at least hand over ownership/management to the black staff that previously worked on the farms so who would have had a decent idea of how to run things. Neither of these was done.

Instead the white owners were violently evicted in large swathes of the country, and the farm land handed over to Mugabe's cronies who had neither the desire nor the ability to run the land properly. So production essentially fell off a cliff. And Zimbabwe went from being a huge exporter of food to an importer, with near famine situations common.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

To describe land reform as "paying off" is either extremely ignorant or extremely biased. Production levels in 2017 being comparable to as they were 20 years ago, after decades of starvation and poverty, is hardly "paying off". And even by the figures quoted in that article maize production in 2017 is still only at approx 66% of its 1984 peak, despite 3+decades of agricultural technological improvements in the meantime. Zimbabwean land reform has been an unmitigated disaster.

edit for map:

This was the land ownership as it was in Rhodesia in 1965. The white population never numbered more than 8% of the population, yet it controlled 30%+ of the land - including most of the best/most fertile land. "Approx 70% of the best arable land" in their own words. Some redistribution after independence was definitely necessary. But doing it the way Mugabe did was not.

Blut fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 8, 2018

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I sure hope the odd state out was OK. If not, sorry :(

It's not

Still beats Arizona, in my humble opinion.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

chairface posted:

Well see where you or I might do land reform by taking land from wealthy whites who know something about farming and giving it to local people who also know something about farming, that is not the path Zimbabwe chose. Instead they took the land from wealthy/colonial whites who knew about farming and gave it to Mugabe's military pals and cronies, who knew nothing about farming. So yes, basically they did that.

Being fair the chart is presented in a fairly disingenuous way, since it shows that while the Zimbabwean share of production fell the actual amount produced remained fairly steady.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cable Guy posted:

Only because they were selling most of their food to ironically raise capital iirc.

Ironic capitalism is still capitalism.

loving hipster cadres.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Private Speech posted:

Being fair the chart is presented in a fairly disingenuous way, since it shows that while the Zimbabwean share of production fell the actual amount produced remained fairly steady.

Going from that chart, in 2001 Zimbabwe produced 5 % out of all of Africas wheat production, which was 40 million tonnes, so 2 million tonnes in Zimbabwe.
In 2003 the chart shows them at 1 % out of a total african production of 45 million tonnes, so 450 000 tonnes, a decrease of about 1,5 million tonnes from start of land reforms.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

https://twitter.com/Botanygeek/status/961306629479297024

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

That's amazing and I'm awed at the vast distances those guys crossed.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
It came from Facebook:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Controversial coloring for South Africa, Cambodia, China, France.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Is there more on this somewhere? Badass if true.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

ulmont posted:

It came from Facebook:

Didn't France technically lose to Vietnam or did they just bow out. It was their war originally...

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

ulmont posted:

It came from Facebook:

i like how they didn't even attempt a cursory review of vietnamese history

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

bewbies posted:

i like how they didn't even attempt a cursory review of vietnamese history

Yeah, didn't china lose a few times.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

there's a few different groups who were likely to have reached the americas before columbus

we know the vikings did, since at this time they had settled greenland, which is very close to canada, as well as the discovery in 1965 of l'anse-aux-meadows which is definitely an abandonded viking settlement in canada

it is extremely likely the polynesians did, since they were masterful oceanic travelers, are confirmed to have reached islands very close (relatively) to south america's west coast and afaik the sweet potato genes would completely confirm it if science could prove these potatoes didn't float out to sea: https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2013/01/22/169980441/how-the-sweet-potato-crossed-the-pacific-before-columbus

it is possible the basque and portugese were fishing cod off the coast of north america decades before columbus' voyage

there are plenty of other claims involving the chinese, malinese, irish etc. but these aren't very credible

e: if polynesians visited south america they probably visited california as well, iirc the local word for canoe is extremely similar to the polynesian/hawaiian word

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 8, 2018

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Click on the tweet, he links to the study in the 2nd reply iirc

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Overconfidently invading Vietnam is the Asian equivalent of invading Russia during winter.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Yeah, didn't china lose a few times.

data disaggregation just advanced in the massachusetts state house over the fearmongering of wingnut chinese immigrants on wechat so chalk up another victory for the viets and cambodians

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Didn't France technically lose to Vietnam or did they just bow out. It was their war originally...

Uhh France is very cool and good and not THE GREAT SATAN UNITED STATES AMERIKKKA so they don't count.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

boner confessor posted:

there's a few different groups who were likely to have reached the americas before columbus

we know the vikings did, since at this time they had settled greenland, which is very close to canada, as well as the discovery in 1965 of l'anse-aux-meadows which is definitely an abandonded viking settlement in canada

it is extremely likely the polynesians did, since they were masterful oceanic travelers, are confirmed to have reached islands very close (relatively) to south america's west coast and afaik the sweet potato genes would completely confirm it if science could prove these potatoes didn't float out to sea: https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2013/01/22/169980441/how-the-sweet-potato-crossed-the-pacific-before-columbus

it is possible the basque and portugese were fishing cod off the coast of north america decades before columbus' voyage

there are plenty of other claims involving the chinese, malinese, irish etc. but these aren't very credible

e: if polynesians visited south america they probably visited california as well, iirc the local word for canoe is extremely similar to the polynesian/hawaiian word

And of course we shouldn't neglect the first transcontinental sailors, marine mammal hunters of the Arctic:

Currrent consensus is that the modern day Yupik and Inuit people (often together referred to as the Eskimo, though that term can be offensive) originated in Siberia before sailing across the Bering strait around a thousand years ago. The Siberian Yupik likely represent a back migration from the Americas. However these were not first people to cross the strait! An unrelated people known as the paleo-eskimos made the same voyage 5000 years earlier.

I like that this map refers to the modern arctic people as the "Neo-Eskimos" which sounds the background for sweet shadowrun character.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 8, 2018

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Peanut President posted:

Uhh France is very cool and good and not THE GREAT SATAN UNITED STATES AMERIKKKA so they don't count.

Is there anyone who simultaneously holds these opinions, except maybe French people

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Phlegmish posted:

Is there anyone who simultaneously holds these opinions, except maybe French people

Europe minus most of england

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Yeah that's the deal bitch, go deep fry something about it

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Two World Wars and One World Cup, doo-dah, doo-dah. :colbert:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

data disaggregation just advanced in the massachusetts state house over the fearmongering of wingnut chinese immigrants on wechat so chalk up another victory for the viets and cambodians

Don’t Viet and Khmer nationalists hate each other too, or at least in the Khmer-to-Viet direction? I listened to a podcast review of an academic book on the current Cambodian government and it said Cambodian nationalists were convinced that Vietnamese agents were sneaking across the border in the night to move the border markers and steal their sacred national clay

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm impressed that you were able to parse that post.

Khmer nationalists presumably hate the Vietnamese for historical reasons related to the Vietnamese southward expansion.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Peanut President posted:

Europe minus most of england

Everyone in Europe hates the French for being arrogant imperialist assholes that won't learn any other language but their own.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

boner confessor posted:

I knew the rest but I had always assumed polynesians reaching the mainland was Gavin Menzies-tier. But yeah if nothing else the linguistic evidence seems pretty ironclad.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Everyone in Europe hates the French for being arrogant imperialist assholes that won't learn any other language but their own.

Where have you been? When I went to Paris in april 2015, I encountered several Frenchmen who clearly understood my attempts to speak their language, but refused to answer in the same. Instead, they jabbered in good-to-fragmented English, even though I am not a native speaker. Presumably, this happens to others as well.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kopijeger posted:

Where have you been? When I went to Paris in april 2015, I encountered several Frenchmen who clearly understood my attempts to speak their language, but refused to answer in the same. Instead, they jabbered in good-to-fragmented English, even though I am not a native speaker. Presumably, this happens to others as well.

Lol if you think this is a french thing. Try speaking dutch or german or swedish. They'll slit their own throats before they slip so low as to use their own language with an anglophone, even if the anglo is screaming "PLEASE HELP ME LEARN THE LOCAL LANGUAGE" in the local language

In my experience french people will immediately start complimenting your french and trip over themselves to talk to you, if you're an anglo-francophone (ie me)

My partner got jealous over christmas because my group was speaking english but I ordered a dessert and pronounced it correctly. The server kissed my cheek and said "ah, the monsieur parle french?" and then spent the rest of the night making funny comments at me.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 8, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

No-one cares, actually.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

https://twitter.com/idfspokesperson/status/961673071726923776

:psyduck:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Whatever it was is already gone, so if you've got the page still open screenshot it.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

lol, they should own up to the stupid poo poo they wrote

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Note to anyone who finds a crazy or funny or offensive twitter post: screenshot, it because those gets deleted asap.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lol if you think this is a french thing. Try speaking dutch or german or swedish.

I have. They responded in German. Also, I'm Norwegian, so understanding Swedish is not a problem. Haven't tried with Dutch yet.

quote:

They'll slit their own throats before they slip so low as to use their own language with an anglophone..

That doesn't really apply to me or other non-anglophones who try to speak French, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

France first bowed mostly out amiably, but then changed its mind and decided to stay, which led to fighting and losing a pointless, incredibly avoidable war.