Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
It's actually the best friendship / dating sim.

And the best Gran Turismo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
FFXV is a great game and I'll fight anyone that says otherwise. I was having a lovely time when it came out and it made me feel happy, that is until my new pro exploded and it took me over a week to get another one :negative:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Monster Hunter is for people who played Dark Souls and thought 'Man Ornstein and Smough were fun but I wanna fight them again and see if I can shave off two minutes on the rematch'

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JBP posted:

FFXV is a great game and I'll fight anyone that says otherwise. I was having a lovely time when it came out and it made me feel happy, that is until my new pro exploded and it took me over a week to get another one :negative:

Its absolute dogshite mate

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SotC remaster is real good but you have to think Sony missed out on a golden opportunity to make Knack the final colossus.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Anyone have opinions on PS4 themes? I haven't seen any good dynamic ones besides Indivisible.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

RareAcumen posted:

Anyone have opinions on PS4 themes? I haven't seen any good dynamic ones besides Indivisible.

Legacy Dashboard, Corn Love Forever

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i use 20th anniversary and heroes something or other

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Firewatch one is one of the best: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0146-CUSA04107_00-FIREWATCHTHEME00
Journey as well: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-CUSA00694_00-JOURNEYDYNTHEME1
Uncharted Anniversary is nifty: https://store.playstation.com/fr-ca/product/UP9000-CUSA07737_00-UNCHARTED10THANN

As you can see they're not free.

Lately I mostly use the clean "Rectangle" one : https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UT0014-CUSA01474_00-CDCTHEMEA0000001

If you're in a retro mood the Playstation Anniversary is real nice: https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP9000-CUSA01501_00-20THANNITHEME001

Welp, that's my opinion on PS4 themes.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

RareAcumen posted:

I bought the Star Trek dynamic theme which is pretty cool.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
The Firewatch dynamic theme is my favorite. I can't use Corn Love Forever because it never got updated to reskin some of the new features of the more recent PS4 firmware updates, and that really fucks with me for some reason.

Folks have also recommended the Transistor dynamic theme before.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Unironically the 1886: The Order theme is good.

Someone in my Destiny clan said MonHun is a game designed from the ground up to burn you out. Even if you like it, you’ll hit a wall and say “I’ve done all this before and I don’t want to do it again”.

Watching its staunchest supporters calling it a GOAT contender and then dropping it after a week was p funny.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ooh gonna check some of these themes out. I’ve been using the Full Throttle Remastered one since I got it.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The Rez infinite themes are super good too.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

fridge corn posted:

Titanfall 2 is pretty rad so far

What's your PSN name, friend? I need more folks to drives robots with

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

RareAcumen posted:

Completely useless answer: The Nier: Automata preorder (I think) dynamic theme is magical and has the most awesome music, but you can't get it now, as far as I know.

Less useless answer: The Firewatch dynamic theme that's alreayd been mentionned is very cool. The icons are readable, the music is soothing and the time of day changes so you get little changes as you leave the dashboard and come back later.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

CordlessPen posted:

Completely useless answer: The Nier: Automata preorder (I think) dynamic theme is magical and has the most awesome music, but you can't get it now, as far as I know.

You have no idea how upset I was that I couldn't buy this.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Yakuza 0 theme is good. Currently rocking a Miku theme now. Had a Power Rangers theme for a long time, also. FFXIV has the best themes, though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I hope Yakuza 6 sells really well and they localise Kiwami 2 :pray:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Over There posted:

You have no idea how upset I was that I couldn't buy this.

Check out the Wipeout omega dynamic theme then.

Boogalo posted:

The Rez infinite themes are super good too.

Not emptyquoting this.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

wait I thought they were definitely doing this omg

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Same!

I am almost done with the Media King area in the Real Estate minigame, which is great because it means that I can go back to progressing the story because I’ve had a chance to make a ton of money and buy abilities/train with the mentors.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

codenameFANGIO posted:

wait I thought they were definitely doing this omg

It's very unlikely they won't but it's not been confirmed yet no

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Check out the Wipeout omega dynamic theme then.
drat that's pretty rad.

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Not emptyquoting this.

I think you are allowed to emptyquote without saying this.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I am sure we will hear about Kiwami 2 around E3 the latest. No point in announcing a new product when you have something around the corner

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

omg chael crash posted:

What's your PSN name, friend? I need more folks to drives robots with

i don't have ps+

i bought it purely for the single player campaign

sorry friend

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Adaptabullshit posted:

I am sure we will hear about Kiwami 2 around E3 the latest. No point in announcing a new product when you have something around the corner

Pretty sure they announced Kiwami and Zero at the same time. Could be wrong.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Adaptabullshit posted:

Hope this is the case.

Btw, just out of curiosity, how big a leap in difficulty is there between Normal and Legend in Yakuza 0? Do enemies just have more health? Are there more of them?

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Pretty sure they announced Kiwami and Zero at the same time. Could be wrong.

They announced Zero, Kiwami and 6 at the same time. This is a tad different situation

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Wait, what the gently caress, they aren't???

I was genuinely expecting they were going to remaster or port all Yakuza games for the Ps4 in english, given the success of 0.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah like someone said, they probably will but it hasn't been announced yet.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've been using some uncharted 4 dynamic theme they gave away for free. it's the one of the sunken ship? pretty nice imo

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Samuringa posted:

Wait, what the gently caress, they aren't???

I was genuinely expecting they were going to remaster or port all Yakuza games for the Ps4 in english, given the success of 0.

Arnt they localizeing it already?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only time anyone has even mentioned localising a Yakuza other than 6 was Sega saying there weren't going to be any announcements at PSX.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The only one I think there's a slight chance of not coming over is the First of the North Star game, but even that, I mean it's Fist of the North Star so that will be an easy import to get through going by the story synopsis they released.

THE EVIL KING: "Yo! ...Kenshiro-chan!"

I was surprised (but held onto and never stopped believing the dream) that we actually got Dead Souls, 5, and later Kiwami localized and with that happening along with a new series starting now with an new protagonist I think Yakuza is pretty much here to stay in the US.

Also remember Kiwami 2 didn't come out in Japan until December 7th and the game is huge compared to Kiwami 1 in just about every way. A solid year or so between the Japanese release and it even getting announced for the US would be very normal for the recent series' recent installments. Kiwami 1 reaching the US so fast is one of a small number of exceptions rather than the rule.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

An interesting article that makes one think about what it means to say that a particular developer has made a game.

quote:

Thanks to outsourcing companies like Virtuos, making games today is less about building levels or creating characters. Instead it’s about managing a global network of labor that builds, programs, animates, and designs. Sixty-five of Virtuos’s employees spent over two years building 11 of Horizon’s 32 enemy robot types; modeling many of the bandit settlements spread across the game world.

Virtuos was only one of 18 different outsourcing companies that worked on the game. Among the others: 3Lateral Studio in Novi Sad, Serbia, which helped character modeling and facial animation for human characters; Territory Studios, a graphic design company in New York that specializes in interface design; Audiomotion in London, which helped with motion capture; Kokku in Recife, Brazil helped build models for some of the robotic animals; and XPEC Art Center in Taipei, which helped build environmental assets to fill the game’s world.

quote:

A 2001 study found outsourcing contracts were too small and haphazard to measure, but by 2006, 40 percent of game studios were using outsourcers for background or environmental art. In 2008, an anonymous poll of 200 major video game studios found that 86 percent relied on outsourcing for some aspect of development.

quote:

Gilles Langourieux, the tall and energetic 49-year-old Frenchmen who founded Virtuos, hates the stereotypes about outsourcing companies. “We’re absolutely not an asset farm,” he told me in the 12th floor conference room late one Friday afternoon in November, referring to a label some industry people use to describe outsourcing companies. Even “outsourcer,” he continued, feels like a slight. “I think ‘external development’ is more respectful of the work that actually gets done by our people here,” he said. “To me, ‘outsourcing’ evokes something which is commoditized, trivial to do, easy to do, so you find locals to do it cheap and fast.”

It's like movies. The effects might be attributed to one particular company but often there's a bunch of sub-contracting done with companies who specialize in certain facets of CG.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok the one problem I’m having with SotC is the collision detection. Which considering the basis of the game is yikes. It’s not all the time, but on certain colossi it hasn’t let me grab onto something I should have been able to for no particular reason. It was especially noticeable with the wings on 13 and the back of 12. Which sucks because 13 was so obviously amazing except that I was constantly struggling with getting on the wings, as well as the controls for aiming with the bow while riding on Agro being somewhat janky (trying to hold R1 and Triangle and aim with the right stick isn’t exactly what this controller was designed for)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey I finally played through Abzu in 1 sitting and it definitely has a couple of extremely haunting and beautiful moments but I think the controls and camera are like embarrassingly bad for how simple it is and even after fiddling with settings I completed the game without ever really getting a sense of where your dude is going.

It's worth a playthrough, but i won't replay it unless im showing it to someone.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Escobarbarian posted:

Ok the one problem I’m having with SotC is the collision detection. Which considering the basis of the game is yikes. It’s not all the time, but on certain colossi it hasn’t let me grab onto something I should have been able to for no particular reason. It was especially noticeable with the wings on 13 and the back of 12. Which sucks because 13 was so obviously amazing except that I was constantly struggling with getting on the wings, as well as the controls for aiming with the bow while riding on Agro being somewhat janky (trying to hold R1 and Triangle and aim with the right stick isn’t exactly what this controller was designed for)

That's SotC.gif

By the way you don't have to hold triangle while aiming the bow, just steer Agro right underneath and he'll still go fast enough to for you to hit the air sacs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey I finally played through Abzu in 1 sitting and it definitely has a couple of extremely haunting and beautiful moments but I think the controls and camera are like embarrassingly bad for how simple it is and even after fiddling with settings I completed the game without ever really getting a sense of where your dude is going.

It's worth a playthrough, but i won't replay it unless im showing it to someone.

gently caress that shark ill never love him