Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Fart City posted:

Curious how they do Venom without Spider-Man. I mean, a lot of the character's design and abilities are directly drawn from the symbiote being bonded with Peter Parker. It's gonna be kinda weird if a sentient pair of pants decides to slap a spider on its chest and go web swinging for no reason.

Word is Tom Holland has a small cameo.

If I had to guess; Brock gets the symbiote, realizes he has powers, decides to use them to do good. He sees Spider-Man as a heroic figure (either on TV or web-swinging above (or maybe Spider-Man saved him earlier in the movie?)) and the symbiote kind of reflexively imitates him. Over the course of the movie the symbiote starts to take over, becomes more violent, its appearance becomes a twisted parody of Spider-Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Watch "Venom" be a weird disease or virus that Tom Hardy contracts (or he's a test subject for something, Deadpool-esque), which gives him superhuman strength at the cost of his sanity, and he then sets out to battle injustice in his own hosed-up way. The traditional Venom look is never seen in the movie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Timby posted:

Watch "Venom" be a weird disease or virus that Tom Hardy contracts (or he's a test subject for something, Deadpool-esque), which gives him superhuman strength at the cost of his sanity, and he then sets out to battle injustice in his own hosed-up way. The traditional Venom look is never seen in the movie.

Also the symbiote is a weird shadowy figure that he sees in reflections and dreams but no one else ever sees it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If the iconic Venom look is not in the movie then it fails its first week.

Yeah, Sony hosed up in the past but perhaps they have learned.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This is Sony so I'm just impressed they didn't accidentally make a movie about the Magic: The Gathering card.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Is that Tom Hardy talking in the teaser? It sounds weird so it must be Tom Hardy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vintersorg posted:

If the iconic Venom look is not in the movie then it fails its first week.

Yeah, Sony hosed up in the past but perhaps they have learned.

Nothing about Venom is "iconic."

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The symbiote is in a tube in a van in the teaser itself, though

It also looks like something crashed to earth in some of the shots, so at the very least "alien thing lands on earth and attaches itself to a host" is what's the origin story here. They're just slicing out the "attaches itself to Peter Parker, slowly tries to corrupt him, Peter rips it away from him and it finds Eddie Brock as a new host" and going straight to "it ends up on Eddie."

The big change seems to be that they've moved everything to San Francisco.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Fart City posted:

Curious how they do Venom without Spider-Man. I mean, a lot of the character's design and abilities are directly drawn from the symbiote being bonded with Peter Parker. It's gonna be kinda weird if a sentient pair of pants decides to slap a spider on its chest and go web swinging for no reason.

I dunno I feel like you can abstract the spider logo, they're obviously using the eyes as more of the logo for the movie so they might just have some kind of white pattern to break up the black.

As far as the powers, wall crawling is a pretty standard monster power, and I feel like you can do Venom without specifically webswinging exactly like Spidey. You can still mimic some weblike behavior through the liquid tentacles and stuff lashing out and grabbing people. Again, that's not specifically a Spider-Man thing, Groot did basically that in GotG.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Is that Tom Hardy talking in the teaser? It sounds weird so it must be Tom Hardy.

Yeah, it's pretty much the same voice he did in The Drop. Makes me miss James Gandolfini :(

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Cameo posted:

They were running out of space to stick new characters in New York

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Cameo posted:

#NotMyVenom

Also plz sign my petition and help me get Venom back where he belongs TYIA
https://www.change.org/p/sony-connect-venom-movie-to-amazing-spider-man-universe-and-keep-andrew-garfield-as-spider-man

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Could we get a superhero movie in a Southwest setting for once?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Ang Lee’s Hulk?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah yeah. That one rules. But that was in 2003. We need more.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ah yeah. That one rules. But that was in 2003. We need more.

Needs more Joe Fixit Grey Hulk taking care of business in Vegas. Or from Peter David’s Banner Gestalt Hulk run.

I’m case if you want to see the Hulk dressed like a 30s mobster dual wielding tommy guns probably working for the Mob/Mafia.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 8, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The Cameo posted:

It also looks like something crashed to earth in some of the shots, so at the very least "alien thing lands on earth and attaches itself to a host" is what's the origin story here. They're just slicing out the "attaches itself to Peter Parker, slowly tries to corrupt him, Peter rips it away from him and it finds Eddie Brock as a new host" and going straight to "it ends up on Eddie."

The Lethal Protector storyline, which it seems like this is drawing on, sees Eddie Brock move from NYC to San Fran. Obviously in the comics that happens after he gets the symbiote, though.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Why is it always some brooding dude. Why can’t it be Chevy Chase and his fame went on vacation in San Fran and whoops symbiote happened.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

Could we get a superhero movie in a Southwest setting for once?

the first half of Logan?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Timby posted:

Nothing about Venom is "iconic."

Ok buddy.

I would bet that Venom is just as recognized as Spider-man to the general public.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Gatts posted:

Why is it always some brooding dude. Why can’t it be Chevy Chase and his fame went on vacation in San Fran and whoops symbiote happened.

A Green Lantern movie almost got made starring Jack Black that would've been like that

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
I wonder if the "telekinesis" stuff is just straight-up unfinished symbiote effects shots. I can't recall any villain or other side character in the Venom orbit that does that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It's being reported that Todd Phillips wants Joaquin Phoenix to play the Joker in his standalone Joker film

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wait what? Todd Phillips? It should obviously be Zach Galifinakis.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
So are Todd Phillips and Martin Scorsese both making stand alone joker movies now?

Scorsese is producing Todd's.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
My favourite part of every new superhero movie announcement is when fans immediately identify which storyline of which series is being adapted, down to like the individual issue.

Like oh poo poo; it’s set in Buffalo, NY! That means it’s the storyline of Pupular Peter Parker where Spiderman transforms into a dog and has to learn to live without his powers or human speech but then it’s revealed that Mysterio has merely used elaborate special effects to make Spiderman believe he’s two feet tall / quadrupedal until the end when MJ notices Peter’s new habit of sleeping at the end of the bed. You can see by the colour of his jacket in this promo shot that Spiderman is gearing up to say the fan-favourite line “doggone it! I have a bone to pick with Mysterio!” I can’t wait to finally see it happen, after all these decades.

But some parts are unfamiliar... Mysterio’s feet don’t look how I imagined they would look.... Looks like the clowns at Sony are gonna drop the ball again, but I’m optimistic.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Ok buddy.

I would bet that Venom is just as recognized as Spider-man to the general public.

No way in hell.

Though I do think it's somewhere between "literally nothing iconic about him" and "as recognizable as the third biggest superhero on the planet"

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Joker shall be played by...Rooney Mara?! A bold choice.

Edit: Just realized Joaquin and Rooney are apparently dating (gross) so...maybe...by some unlikely concatenation of events...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MacheteZombie posted:

So are Todd Phillips and Martin Scorsese both making stand alone joker movies now?

Scorsese is producing

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MacheteZombie posted:

Scoresece is producing

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It should be Jared Leto, starring and directing. If we're being honest.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Guy A. Person posted:

No way in hell.

Though I do think it's somewhere between "literally nothing iconic about him" and "as recognizable as the third biggest superhero on the planet"

I would honestly take that bet. Most people know Venom. Even if they don’t know the character, they’ve seen that face or they’ve seen Spider-Man 3

I have no opinions on the character but he was way too popular for a short time, just enough for his toothy grin to be plastered everywhere.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

All those Venom t-shirts lost in the 90s/early 2000s, like tears in the rain.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy A. Person posted:

No way in hell.

If you gave even the tiniest poo poo about anything related to Marvel or comic books through the 90s (including peripheral merch), you know who Venom is. And the time period where Venom started showing up was a really hot time for comics, even if things fell off a cliff not long after.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

I would honestly take that bet. Most people know Venom.

I think most people of a certain age have at least some vague idea of who Venom is. Anyone older than, say, 40-45 would probably look at him and just think “What did they do to Spider-Man?”

Vakal
May 11, 2008

The Cameo posted:

I have no clue what the Venom movie will be about, but I would bet everything I own on the last scene being of someone reveling an identical tube but only filled with red goo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Phylodox posted:

I think most people of a certain age have at least some vague idea of who Venom is. Anyone older than, say, 40-45 would probably look at him and just think “What did they do to Spider-Man?”
Probably. But his look is kind of iconic in Marvel stuff. Like if you see it you know he’s either from Marvel or a part of Spider-Man. Or he’s a 90’s thing. Either way I can see this being big as Deadpool in terms of 90’s character nostalgia but we’ll see if it’s nearly as good.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Well, rumor has it that Carnage is the villain of the film.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vakal posted:

I have no clue what the Venom movie will be about, but I would bet everything I own on the last scene being of someone reveling an identical tube but only filled with red goo.

Hardy may have inadvertently let it slip that Carnage is the villain in the movie a few weeks ago (he posted a picture of him on his Instagram and mentioned the official movie's account); also, Ruben Fleischer has said that the movie's primary inspirations are Lethal Protector and Planet of the Symbiotes, the latter of which features Carnage prominently.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I would honestly take that bet. Most people know Venom. Even if they don’t know the character, they’ve seen that face or they’ve seen Spider-Man 3

I have no opinions on the character but he was way too popular for a short time, just enough for his toothy grin to be plastered everywhere.

I mean, again I'm not even saying Venom is unpopular or that the average person on the street has a less than 50% chance of knowing who he is, but compared to Spider-Man? Think of it this way:

You're one of the millions of Americans who have never consumed any Spider-Man media. You haven't watched any of the movies or cartoons and you sure as hell haven't read any comics. The character has still existed since the 60s, he's been in SNL sketches and as a comic strip in newspapers. There's been 6 movies with trailers all over television every few years along with billboards and marketing basically everywhere.

The fact that there is a character named Spider-Man who wears red and blue and swings around New York city is as close as you can get to common knowledge. From there the details probably drop off considerably the less the person's been paying attention. They might know his name is Peter Parker but they might not know he is a photographer for the Daily Bugle, etc.

Venom has been in one movie and I don't think he was actually in any of the trailers or posters, and his name certainly wasn't mentioned in any of them. Sure, he's been on t-shirts and toys and stuff, and people might recognize the eyes and toothy grin as being something recognizable, but are they going to be able to put a name to it?

I'm probably being super pedantic but I think people are just underestimating how ubiquitous the Spider-Man brand is compared to smaller pieces of the mythos. Even if you're super generous and assume a 70% chance of someone on the street knowing Venom's name and general look, there's like a 99% chance for Spidey.