Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And then you end up with poo poo like the GW modular board where the earth is apparently made of skulls.

Believable. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

So Warhammer lore is based around people sending in the results of games they've played?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Junkenstein posted:

So Warhammer lore is based around people sending in the results of games they've played?

No. It was a one off thing that was a disaster.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Junkenstein posted:

Not at all. They tried it back in the early 2000s in both 40k and WHFB, but didn't like the results so they retconned it all in later editions. They tried smaller-scale campaigns, but no one paid them as much attention because they didn't matter at all in the long run. They later wrote their own junk which is why we have the End Times (:rip: WHFB) and Gathering Storm (40k). End Times was initially promising with the return of Nagash in the first book and quickly became complete trash as it became clearer they were blowing everything up and not tweaking the setting.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

A lot of Warhammer's style, for better and for worse, is really owed to their early artist John Blanche, whose stuff is love it or hate it. His works are super dense visually and have some really cool designs but tend to have trouble actually conveying what the hell is going on

His Vampire Counts art owns bones, wow

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

His Vampire Counts art owns bones, wow

Kemmler snorted a little bit too much warpstone dust there.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Tiler Kiwi posted:

The funny thing is, there's a nice site out there that I linked a long time ago in the prior thread, that has some commentary on the whole SoC fiasco, and despite how stupid it was to expect anything but a Chaos stomp... they didn't anticipate a chaos stomp. They really did just gently caress up tremendously.

watch this spot im gonna try to find it again

e: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/orcgoblinwarpath/storm-of-chaos-t26684.html , scroll down and a fellow has copy/pasted the entries from elsewhere

some fun quotes from the ~LOREMASTERS DIARY~

part of the complaints about SoC, mind you, are about the incredibly obvious, trite, and dumb "climatic" final battle, because the only way they justified chaos ever being there was a mix of bad mechanics (weekend results being counted in a very stupid way), the writers continuously mucking about to keep it "interesting", and some "fudging" to warp the chaos armies to the climatic showdown which they proceeded to lose by a tremendous margin, again. they shouldn't have managed to even get out of the wastes.

e2: oh and the final issue was that the whole campaign was hyped as CHANGING THE SETTING FOREVER and yet the end result was this very silly cop out where the status quo was retained completely, with the assumption among fans being that the writers felt the wrong guys won.

The diary had the armies of Ulric singing "Men of Harlech" with some words changed out that doesn't quite scan. Specifically the version of the song from Zulu.

Loremaster's Diary posted:

“Men of Ulric stop your dreaming
Can't you see their spear points gleaming?
See their warrior pennants streaming
To this battlefield.
Men of Ulric stand ye steady
It cannot be ever said ye
For the battle we're not ready
Stand and Never Yield!
Off the hills rebounding
Let this song be sounding
Summon all to Ulric's call
The mighty force surrounding
Men of Ulric onto Glory
This will ever be your story
Keep these fighting words before ye
Middenland Never Yields!”

Important – Any Middenland or Cult of Ulric player that sings this (all verses) while deploying may add +1 to their dice roll when determining who has choice of first turn!

Kaza42 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 8, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I really like the complete TK roster but it being so top-heavy in design means that it kind of feels bad to play them in the campaign because it takes ten thousand years for cities to grow and while you're waiting you're tromping around with a legion of garbage skeletons with two or three actual workhorses in the stack. Aside from your starting bonus unit you never actually get to play with the cool stuff until 70 turns in where you're already consolidated and you're just making forays out with doomstacks to beat people up even on VH/VH.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Wow, cavalry armies really are bullshit. Just served Malekith some skelly horse surprise, 100+ kills in every chariot against a spear army and a dragon. Love how you can run literal circles around Malekith himself with a mounted general

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Whats a good warhammer 2 mod list to look into, me and a friend want to change up the campaigns a bit by now after playing warhammer 2 mostly vanilla.

So far the list is
Better Camera
Brutal Battles.
Cataph's southern realms and kraka drak
Community bugfix
Diplomatic options, vassal, liberate, confederate.
GCCM Unique faction capitals
Expanded Roster Kislev
Mousillion reskin
Trebor Garrison Overhaul.
Tier 4 minor.

Anything missing from that list to try?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kaza42 posted:

The diary had the armies of Ulric singing "Men of Harlech" with some words changed out that doesn't quite scan. Specifically the version of the song from Zulu.

Jesus christ. I worked at Fort Henry, which is a south Ontario UNESCO site manned by college students. Half the job is upkeeping the fort, the other half is larping around being a victorian british soldier. We did what was as close as we could get to authentic rifle drill. We came very close to shanking each other with our very real bayonets, and our single most important job was rifle maintenance, because our rifles, despite firing only blanks, were authentic Snyder-Enfields of 1860s vintage.

We’d sing songs like “Rule Britannia” and “Over the Hills” during public-facing downtime and the Zulu version of “Men of Harlech got us nerds all riled up. Even back then we were like “uh hey this is a real song and these lyrics are fake??”

gently caress that song and gently caress GW
If anyone’s wondering, the real version goes “Onward, Harlech men” where the fake version says “welshmen never yield.” It’s youtubeable

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Jesus christ. I worked at Fort Henry, which is a south Ontario UNESCO site manned by college students. Half the job is upkeeping the fort, the other half is larping around being a victorian british soldier. We did what was as close as we could get to authentic rifle drill. We came very close to shanking each other with our very real bayonets, and our single most important job was rifle maintenance, because our rifles, despite firing only blanks, were authentic Snyder-Enfields of 1860s vintage.

We’d sing songs like “Rule Britannia” and “Over the Hills” during public-facing downtime and the Zulu version of “Men of Harlech got us nerds all riled up. Even back then we were like “uh hey this is a real song and these lyrics are fake??”

gently caress that song and gently caress GW
If anyone’s wondering, the real version goes “Onward, Harlech men” where the fake version says “welshmen never yield.” It’s youtubeable

I'm personally fond of the Canadian Royal Hussars version, which also fits better with Warhammer anyway

Hark! I hear the foe advancing,
Barb'd steeds are proudly prancing;
Helmets in the sunbeams glancing,
Blazing through the trees.
Men of Ulric, lie ye dreaming?
See ye not their falchions gleaming,
While their pennons darkly streaming
Shudder in the breeze?
From the rocks rebounding
Let the war cry sounding
Summon all at Empire's call,
The haughty foe surrounding.
Men of Ulric, on to glory!
See, your banner fam'd in story
Waves these burning words before ye,
"DEATH before we yield!"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

the best british marching song is clearly the british grenadiers

quote:

Some talk of Alexander, and some of Hercules
Of Hector and Lysander, and such great names as these.
But of all the world's great heroes, there's none that can compare.
With a tow, row, row, row, row, row, to the British Grenadiers.

Those heroes of antiquity ne'er saw a cannon ball,
Or knew the force of powder to slay their foes withal.
But our brave boys do know it, and banish all their fears,
With a tow, row, row, row, row, row, for the British Grenadiers.

insert those images of a lord of change getting owned by cannon fire here

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

StashAugustine posted:

the best british marching song is clearly the british grenadiers

insert those images of a lord of change getting owned by cannon fire here

See now that is both a real thing soldiers sang AND 100% applicable to Warhammer

“Then sing tow, row, row, row, row, row, the British Grenadiers.
Then let us fill a bumper, and drink a health of those
Who carry caps and pouches, and wear the louped clothes.
May they and their commanders live happy all their years.
With a tow, row, row, row, row, row, for the British Grenadiers."

Are they subjugating India or staving off the undead menace?

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 8, 2018

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

See now that is both a real thing soldiers sang AND 100% applicable to Warhammer

“Then sing tow, row, row, row, row, row, the British Grenadiers.
Then let us fill a bumper, and drink a health of those
Who carry caps and pouches, and wear the louped clothes.
May they and their commanders live happy all their years.
With a tow, row, row, row, row, row, for the British Grenadiers."

Are they subjugating India or staving off the undead menace?

not a song composed entirely of vowels and the letters c, v, and h, therefore not a proper imperial war-song

humans, swear to fuckin' khaine

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

John Blanche is kinda awful which is an appropriate aesthetic for 40K.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Whats a good warhammer 2 mod list to look into, me and a friend want to change up the campaigns a bit by now after playing warhammer 2 mostly vanilla.

So far the list is
Better Camera
Brutal Battles.
Community bugfix
Expanded Roster Kislev
Mousillion reskin
Tier 4 minor.

You'll need the faction unlocker for cataph's stuff, and at that point there's no reason not to drop Mixu's Legendary Lords 1 + 2 into the mix. Unique Landmarks of the Old World is good, our very own Gejnor has made a bunch of nice faction mods, The Empire by Zarkis and its sisters (Skaven, Beastmen, Wood Elves), and Leyloo's Climate Tweaks.

That's a good start :shepface:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So far the list is
Better Camera
Brutal Battles.
Community bugfix
Expanded Roster Kislev
Mousillion reskin
Tier 4 minor.

I use all of Dryrain's reskin compilations and I think he does a pretty good job with all the races.

This supposedly makes the AI treat the player kind of equally but I can't really tell if it makes a huge difference
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1196729342

This mod reduces the number of AI diplomacy offers during end turns, which I consider essential if you play ME
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1217281194

Rebanner by our own Wallets is pretty great
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1170705545

This mod speeds up the end turn camera when it pans to different locations
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1159014317

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
There's also a mod that updates the older races red and blue skill trees to be comparable to the newer races. I've found it to be really good for Empire and Dwarves.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
I’ve only tried the rebanner one from that list and it’s great. I definitely recommend it. Good job Wallet.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, Rebanner is one of those mods that I consider absolutely essential. A lot of the vanilla banners are mediocre, and Rebanner makes them great.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Rebanner is a goodass mod, and Wallet is a hero. I only wish that LuckySpade continued his Followers Overhaul mod because in contrast, so many of the followers are boring poo poo.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Fuligin posted:

You'll need the faction unlocker for cataph's stuff, and at that point there's no reason not to drop Mixu's Legendary Lords 1 + 2 into the mix. Unique Landmarks of the Old World is good, our very own Gejnor has made a bunch of nice faction mods, The Empire by Zarkis and its sisters (Skaven, Beastmen, Wood Elves), and Leyloo's Climate Tweaks.

That's a good start :shepface:

Was thinking I'd just use the faction unlocker if I want to play as one of cataph's factions, I don't see much point in playing as one of the nobody minor factions right next to the real faction, I also noticed while playing with the faction unlocker that it spawns every beastman herd at the start of the game and by turn 3 Khatep and other factions get overwhelmed by beastmen, plus extra turn times from splitting up some factions into even more minor factions.

The old race skill update and The empire mod look interesting though, I'm wary of trying rebanner because it just seems like a extra advantage over the AI who doesn't equip or level their lords as well as the player.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I think tomb kings have spoiled me, I don’t want to go back to paying for armies

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..

Solemn Sloth posted:

I think tomb kings have spoiled me, I don’t want to go back to paying for armies

Same, They should really adapt this to every faction. Orcs should not pay upkeep or recruitment cost. Just make it orcish by requiring you to win battles in order to recruit more units. Orcs should be the ultimate snowball faction anyway.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ZigZag posted:

Same, They should really adapt this to every faction. Orcs should not pay upkeep or recruitment cost. Just make it orcish by requiring you to win battles in order to recruit more units. Orcs should be the ultimate snowball faction anyway.

I was thinking about that too. It might be fun if orcs (and VC via raise dead, if they wanted each faction to have unique recruiting) lost traditional recruitment but got a semi-random pool of units to recruit as they increased fightiness. More wins would equal better available units and location could play a role too: the southlands usually offers savages and spiders, eight peaks is teeming with night gobbos, the plains of the badlands have loads of solf riders, etc. Your common boyz and gobbos could be near-ubiquitous as long as you’re winning fights. You’ll never be able to custom-build a doomstack but it’s balanced out bc you have a constant pool to of units to spam even in enemy territory. Maybe give them RoR style recruitment too so you aren’t limited by slots?

Imo it’d be really fun if each race’s armybuilding had its own gimmick.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

ZigZag posted:

In my opinion the Greenskin economy works pretty well in line with its theme. You get your best money from raiding other people's stuff, and you get a free army with free upkeep after doffing a few guys over that follows you around and screws up anytime you try to tell it to do something. Greenskins are definitely in it for loot and so getting to pay for it does work in step with their ideas and themes.

I don't think stripping out the economies that each race has to deal with is really something I want to see.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah smashing up settlements, raiding and krumping humies so you don't instantly go into 10k gold debt is the tried and true orcy way.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, and Greenskins really thrive as a raiding economy. After the midgame when you can reliably take out garrisons with your B-side armies you are supposed to have an economy in the negatives and make do through sacking. It works great and feels great.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, and Greenskins really thrive as a raiding economy. After the midgame when you can reliably take out garrisons with your B-side armies you are supposed to have an economy in the negatives and make do through sacking. It works great and feels great.

I'd like it to be a bit more strict tbh. It does feel good to be sacking and raiding, but Greenskins should have cheaper gold costs in campaign to encourage overspending via upkeep, and in turn forcing you to expand and raid.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hah, I just realized that my war against the Greenskins that ended up with me taking Tilea and the Border Prince regions isn't too far from what the Holy Roman Empire actually did. Now I just need to break Grimgor's back enough that vassalized Barak Varr and Thorgrim can finally break past the Greenskin stranglehold and establish a perimeter.

Also, I'm not using any mods that affect army compositions but goddamn if Grimgor's not loving around. His armies regularly go with a massive block of Black Orcs and Big 'Unz, around 3-4 Big 'Un Boar Boyz, 1 or 2 artillery pieces and the rest with monsters and lighter/ranged cavalry. I'm already wondering if dropping Helstorm Rockets for more Great Cannons would be a better move, while also switching out all my Halberdiers for Greatswords and letting Demigryph Knights handle all the anti-large work.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Oh are the greenskins a proper threat in vanilla again?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Fangz posted:

Oh are the greenskins a proper threat in vanilla again?

Yeah they got a big boost to AI fightiness so they do things now instead of standing around dying of attrition

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

With my sample size of 2 ME's, I think the chances of VCs growing out of control are now higher than Dwarfs or Greenskins.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Dwarf AI is kinda weird now, because every clan apart from Thorgrim and Belegar's are staying in their holds and practically never going out, even in defense of the realm. Which is actually lore-appropriate; unfortunately neither of the two are doing well enough against the Greenskin tide to actually last without direct intervention from the player.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Really wondering if the diplomacy mod that removes confederations would be a fun play through or not.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1159028779

Or if there was some sort of limiter on nation size compared to your own.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

toasterwarrior posted:

Dwarf AI is kinda weird now, because every clan apart from Thorgrim and Belegar's are staying in their holds and practically never going out, even in defense of the realm. Which is actually lore-appropriate; unfortunately neither of the two are doing well enough against the Greenskin tide to actually last without direct intervention from the player.

Which is also pretty lore appropriate.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Man I wish Belegar was doing something in my empire game, he doesn't even ride out to run the drat broken nose off his province, I was in a military alliance with him and watched the BN send a stack at his house again and again only for the wood elves to punk it when it stopped by the pass to the forest.

They did this for 30 turns until the WE lost their poo poo and ate the orcs and also Tilea.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

toasterwarrior posted:

I've seen the opposite. Barak Varr especially. They'll send their stacks out to crusade in the badlands and then the minor orc factions will roll their home holds.

Belegar is actually competent and will take Eight Peaks though. I'm using the mod that has Skarsnik start there unless you're playing as him, though.

Also, I noticed that the TK Mortal Empires win conditions are actually... doable? It's kinda dumb that building all the pyramids means Settra/Khalida/Khatep will probably have to betray each other but otherwise there's no requirement to own Altdorf/Lothern/Naggarond/Hexaotl/etc etc, your win cities are basically Araby, Nehekhara and the badlands/BPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I've seen the opposite. Barak Varr especially. They'll send their stacks out to crusade in the badlands and then the minor orc factions will roll their home holds.

Hah, that's weird, because ever since the patch Barak Varr has been guaranteed to die due to the sheer amount of Greenskins they start at war with. Karak Azul lasts longer than they do, but then again Karak Azul has always been strangely resilient despite being up to their necks in Greenskins.