Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Boston. And IMO there are some bar tools you can totally skimp on (like the OXO hawthorne strainers and cheap and great, I've used them in every bar I've worked at) but treat yourself get a nice Koriko shaker set from Cocktail Kingdom, they'll seal a lot better than cheaper ones and they won't get easy dents in them when you eventually drop them on the floor or bang them around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I use a Boston in this vein:

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/products/boston-shaker-with-recipe/

I don't use the printed recipes but I do use the graduated ounce marks on the side. I didn't get this particular one, just one similar at a local liquor store.

Test the accuracy of the marks. Mine were spot on but I still grab the jiggers if I want to batch out quickly or be super accurate, like if I need 1/4 oz fernet.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

goferchan posted:

treat yourself get a nice Koriko shaker set from Cocktail Kingdom

Hah, holy poo poo, I usually have to ignore brand/store recommendations from people in the forums since I'm not in the states, but the Koriko was exactly the Boston I was eyeballing (the cobbler was a Yukiwa), so I'll be getting that.

I'll be getting the shaker, a hawthorne strainer, spoon (I'm eyeing a teardrop),
a muddler and a (ridged) Jigger. I already have a nice glass pitcher, so I'll be using that one.

Cheers.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Cheers! That sounds like a great setup. If you plan on just muddling herbs you can probably get away with a barspoon with a flat muddling disc on the end instead of a wooden muddler, btw. You could spend the extra money on a lewis bag or something for making crushed ice

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

goferchan posted:

Cheers! That sounds like a great setup. If you plan on just muddling herbs you can probably get away with a barspoon with a flat muddling disc on the end instead of a wooden muddler, btw. You could spend the extra money on a lewis bag or something for making crushed ice

But then I would be missing out on buying this beauty:

(I'll probably be making a fuckton of caipirinhas and caipiroskas, so there'll be lime grinding involved).

I forgot to mention the lewis bag, I had one in my shopping cart. :v:

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I love the spoons from cocktail kingdom, definitely worth splurging on. The spirals are smooth and won’t cut up your fingers. The one with the pineapple on top has a tighter coil and feels nicer but I like the teardrop too.

Their Badass Muddler is nice as well if you’re going to be doing heavy duty muddling.

I also prefer the Japanese style jiggers but that’s definitely up to you. I use a 1oz/2oz and a .5oz/.75 oz. If you’re going to want to jigger out spirits neat (like a shot of nice whiskey), you could also get a stainless steel Pyrex 2oz “bucket” style jigger to minimize spills.

Edit: it’s OXO not Pyrex. OXO SteeL Angled Measuring Jigger, Stainless Steel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B6LUAPW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_00rCAbTSX35K7

Their (cocktailkingdom) speed pourers are the best I’ve used (but tbf I’ve only used other generic ones) and definitely worth the price if you’re planning on using them.

The Maestro fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 31, 2018

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Speaking of crushed ice, for anyone who lives near a Sonic and didn't already know this, they sell pellet ice by the bag for like $3.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I'm gonna be contrarian and say the Cobbler shaker is more friendly for the home bartender. All one unit, strain from the top. Mine I can do a nice one handed side to side shake with the cold from the ice giving it that perfect seal, that would not be secure with the 2 cups jammed at a slight angle makeup of the Boston.

That said, maybe a serious home bartender should just get both.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I've always used a cobbler as well, then again it's the standard here in Japan so that's how I learned. I would say I've never really liked the look of bartenders slapping the side of the Boston just to get it open, or worse, hitting it against the bar.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Comb Your Beard posted:

Mine I can do a nice one handed side to side shake with the cold from the ice giving it that perfect seal, that would not be secure with the 2 cups jammed at a slight angle makeup of the Boston.

Boston shakers never leak, even one-handed horizontal shake. The cold ice making a seal works the same.

A Boston, to work correctly, is easy to manufacture. You just need two roughly round surfaces, and the malleability of the metal will make it mate when you tap it shut. A cobbler, on the other hand, must have precise tolerances at more mating surfaces, the body to lid and the lid to cap, and if it's made too loose or uneven, you don't get the wedge effect of the Boston where a forceful tap can close the gap.

A nicely made cobbler might work, but any cheaply made Boston will definitely work.

Separating the two halves can be a pain, I'll give you that. You learn not to slam the lid on, just smack it where you can lift from the lid alone and no harder.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Now I'm eyeballing that Yukiwa cobbler again... it's so pretty...

I'm probably going for a japanese-style jigger made by a local bartender; it's not the prettiest but it's a 3/1.5 oz which has inner ridges for 1,2,0.5 and 0.75, which means I can get most measurements without having to fill it to the brim which more often than not results in spillage (which is probably lack of practise or just having to get used to measure over the cup instead of on the countertop), but hey.

They also have the cocktail kingdom 2/1 one, and a really pretty "Mr. Slim" 2/1 with the 1/2, 3/4 internal markings, but they're both 'fill to the brim'.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The bar pour spouts are cheating when it comes to filling to the brim of jiggers without spilling. One of my big goals this year is to build a bar cart with a speed rail and decant my liquor into identical bottles with pour spouts.

I'm waffling on buying a rubber bar mat. On the one hand, it catches spills. otoh, instead of cleaning the work surface now I'm cleaning a different thing.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Edmond Dantes posted:

Now I'm eyeballing that Yukiwa cobbler again... it's so pretty...

I'm probably going for a japanese-style jigger made by a local bartender; it's not the prettiest but it's a 3/1.5 oz which has inner ridges for 1,2,0.5 and 0.75, which means I can get most measurements without having to fill it to the brim which more often than not results in spillage (which is probably lack of practise or just having to get used to measure over the cup instead of on the countertop), but hey.

They also have the cocktail kingdom 2/1 one, and a really pretty "Mr. Slim" 2/1 with the 1/2, 3/4 internal markings, but they're both 'fill to the brim'.

I prefer the Leopold jiggers that CK offers because they have a 0.25oz mark in the small side and they roll between fingers really well, so they're easy to handle quickly and snappily when you're trying to keep one hand free.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
A 2:1 Japanese style jigger is the only one you need. How often does something call for a 1/4 oz that doesn’t also call for a 1/2 or 3/4? Just measure your 1/2 oz then add the 1/4 before you dump it into your shaker

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The Bandit posted:

A 2:1 Japanese style jigger is the only one you need. How often does something call for a 1/4 oz that doesn’t also call for a 1/2 or 3/4? Just measure your 1/2 oz then add the 1/4 before you dump it into your shaker

I've spent a lot of time using both styles of jigger, I often switch between both styles to keep my muscle memory fresh, and I still find the CK Leopold to be the fastest, most practical jigger. The 0.25 oz measure is great, especially when you're making bespoke drinks or doing R&D and need minor tweaks :shrug:

It's a really silly thing to make a sweeping decree like "this is the only good version of this tool"

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
They have the Leopold (I'm still surprised I found a place here that has CK stuff, even if it's just a few), so I ended up going for that one because I like how it looks and that's reason enough for me. :colbert:

I placed the order, so I'll annoy you with a question while I wait and inevitably end up drunk while testing it out:

I tried making a White Russian a couple of times, and when it comes to the cream, no matter how I pour it or which type of cream I use, it becomes flaky once it's in the glass with the rest of the drink. I tried both regular and heavy cream, and someone once recommended I tried whipping it a bit to make it float better, but once it comes into contact with the booze, same thing happens.

It's still tasty, it's just not very nice to look at.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Fart Car '97 posted:

I've spent a lot of time using both styles of jigger, I often switch between both styles to keep my muscle memory fresh, and I still find the CK Leopold to be the fastest, most practical jigger. The 0.25 oz measure is great, especially when you're making bespoke drinks or doing R&D and need minor tweaks :shrug:

It's a really silly thing to make a sweeping decree like "this is the only good version of this tool"

Yeah I feel you, I was more directing at someone buying tools for a home set up. If you’re only getting one(and there’s better things to spend a bunch of money on than multiple jiggers) I think it should be the Japanese style. I also am not a fan of the Leopold style jiggers, but it might just be because I have big hands and I find it awkward.

For the record we keep a 1/2:3/4 at each station on the bar and I grab it specifically for something off menu at least once a night.

e: Edmond enjoy your pretty Leopold(no sarcasm, it’s a nice looking tool), it will do an excellent job for you. Not trying to throw shade in here, this thread is most excellent.

The Bandit fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 31, 2018

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
What’s the cheapest peatiest scotch suitable for basically rinsing a glass with?

Edit: loving weird as soon as I posted that a liquor rep called me trying to place a bottle of scotch. Not peaty though

The Maestro fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 1, 2018

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

The Maestro posted:

What’s the cheapest peatiest scotch suitable for basically rinsing a glass with?

Edit: loving weird as soon as I posted that a liquor rep called me trying to place a bottle of scotch. Not peaty though

I've seen Peat monster for 25 to 30 bucks a bottle

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Great King Street Glasgow is blend is $25/bottle wholesale in DC before any volume discounts.

E: GKS is Compass Box's cocktail line

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 1, 2018

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Cool. I carry Peat Monster but it’s a little pricy. I’ll check out the Glasgow Blend!

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
It’s not as peaty as Peat Monster, but Black Bottle is still pretty peaty and is super cheap.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Picked up some calvados (Menorval Tres Vieux XO) during my most recent run to Kappy's and I don't think I can down it straight up. I could always use it in a hot toddy, but it seems like a bit of a waste. Is there a particularly good cocktail to use it in, or should I soldier on and learn to like it neat?

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Picked up some calvados (Menorval Tres Vieux XO) during my most recent run to Kappy's and I don't think I can down it straight up. I could always use it in a hot toddy, but it seems like a bit of a waste. Is there a particularly good cocktail to use it in, or should I soldier on and learn to like it neat?

Jack Rose, but only if you make your own grenadine.

Barring that, old fashioned with a walnut bitters or something to that effect.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Anyone got a recommendation for a good middle of the road tonic water? Nicer than Canada Dry / Schweppes, but not $10 for four 6-8 ounce bottles?

Also: I know it sounds terrible to put old tom in a G&T, but I got some Fever Tree elderflower tonic and the two together (no lime) are fantastic. It's just the elderflower tonic was $8-10 for 500ml, and that's way out of my price range for normal use.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

If a negroni tastes just a bit too sweet for me, what should I reduce-the campari or the sweet vermouth?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What vermouth are you using? Rather than changing the proportions, you might like a drier vermouth than your current brand.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

nwin posted:

If a negroni tastes just a bit too sweet for me, what should I reduce-the campari or the sweet vermouth?

Add more gin ;)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Klauser posted:

Add more gin ;)

That's the same as "reduce both in equal proportion" right?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Halloween Jack posted:

What vermouth are you using? Rather than changing the proportions, you might like a drier vermouth than your current brand.

Dolin rouge

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Honestly the 1:1:1 ratio is classic for the Negroni (and for good reason) but I personally prefer 3:2:2, meaning 1.5oz gin and 1 each Campari and vermouth. I also really recommend you try out Cocchi Vermouth di Torino.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Dolin's not exactly on the sticky-sweet side, so...I'd reduce the Campari a touch.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Negroni might be my all time favorite cocktail. You should absolutely gently caress around with ratios and ingredients and try all the various spin offs, like a boulevardier (bourbon:sweet v:Campari at 1.5:.75:.75), a Left Hand (boulevardier with a dash of chocolate bitters - this one blew my mind a few years ago), or an old pal (rye:dry v:Campari at 1.5:.75:.75 with a lemon twist - this is the one I recommend if you like the idea of a Negroni but want something a lot drier).

Seriously, just try the Negroni or boulevardier spec with whatever base spirit/amari/vermouths you want. The scorched earth went around my town a couple years ago and it’s great - I think it’s mezcal, cynar, sweet v with black walnut bitters at the boulevardier ratio.

Edit: my favorite way to make a classic Negroni at home is to add a dash or two of scrappys cardamom bitters. Cardamom and Campari play so well together. The astringency of the cardamom totally negates the medicinal sweetness of the Campari finish.

The Maestro fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 4, 2018

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I’m also going to double post because I want to go back to the talk about separating two tins in a Boston shaker set up. Absolutely something that takes practice. You can always tell a new bartender or new set of tins by how easily they separate.

The Koriko tins will seal very very well when brand new and will be difficult to separate no matter what. I had one set of brand new ones among 15ish pairs of well-used and you can easily tell which is which with just a brief glance, even when stacked. The good news is that as you practice, you’ll get better and the tins will get worn in. I used to go home from work with a sore spot on my palm until I built up the tolerance. Granted, we had glass on tin setup until I took over and switched to tin on tin (due in no small part to this thread).

And honestly, they seal so well that you don’t need to pound on them to seal like so many bartenders like to do. Just make sure to grip them properly so you aren’t pulling them apart as you shake and you can feel them separate (if they start to do so mid-shake) and adjust accordingly. Tap firmly with the butt of your palm at the point where the tins meet and they will separate easily enough with a very satisfying sound.

Never try to separate them by pounding them against the counter or bar top. Bad bar etiquette and outright dangerous if you’re using a glass on tin setup.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

The Maestro posted:

Negroni might be my all time favorite cocktail. You should absolutely gently caress around with ratios and ingredients and try all the various spin offs, like a boulevardier (bourbon:sweet v:Campari at 1.5:.75:.75), a Left Hand (boulevardier with a dash of chocolate bitters - this one blew my mind a few years ago), or an old pal (rye:dry v:Campari at 1.5:.75:.75 with a lemon twist - this is the one I recommend if you like the idea of a Negroni but want something a lot drier).
At one point I was drinking so many Left Hands so often that when Daniel Craig James Bond said "that last hand nearly killed me" I thought he'd said "Left Hand" referring to a poisoned drink.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Pollyanna posted:

Give it some ice. If it's on the sweeter side hit it with a single dash of Ango. Or fashion more of a brandy old fashioned with your choice of sweetener and bitters. Love me some Calvados.

Much more complicated: use it in a Vieux Carré instead of cognac. Yum.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Comb Your Beard posted:

Give it some ice. If it's on the sweeter side hit it with a single dash of Ango. Or fashion more of a brandy old fashioned with your choice of sweetener and bitters. Love me some Calvados.

Much more complicated: use it in a Vieux Carré instead of cognac. Yum.

Ooh, that last one sounds pretty good. Once I have a minibar built up, I might just go for that. Right now I've been cutting it with some umeshu (since the latter has a great taste but is lower in alcohol and very sweet) and I got plans to put it in coffee tomorrow.

I still don't quite understand the use of bitters, but I'm a piece of poo poo who likes everything to be extremely sweet, so...

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Comb Your Beard posted:

use it (calvados) in a Vieux Carré instead of cognac. Yum.

I don’t have calvados on hand but I do have Laird’s bonded and now I know what I’m drinking tonight. This is a tasty sounding idea!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Ooh, that last one sounds pretty good. Once I have a minibar built up, I might just go for that. Right now I've been cutting it with some umeshu (since the latter has a great taste but is lower in alcohol and very sweet) and I got plans to put it in coffee tomorrow.

I still don't quite understand the use of bitters, but I'm a piece of poo poo who likes everything to be extremely sweet, so...

Bitters are great in sweet drinks, grab some and start throwing them in stuff to see what sticks. Think of them like adding salt to food -- even if you can't taste the bitters themselves in small amount, they'll add extra complexity to a drink and bring out other flavors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Needed Gran Marnier, saw Blood Orange Liqueur.

So glad I got that instead holy poo poo