Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much money do you spend on this game?
This poll is closed.
Thar she blows ($300/mo.) 9 5.52%
We got our hooks in 'em ($100-$300/mo.) 11 6.75%
They's taking the bait! ($20-100/mo.) 25 15.34%
Toss 'em back in the sea. (F2P - $20/mo.) 118 72.39%
Total: 163 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Making the doggo a base 5 is the worst thing Gumi has ever done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

This is how they are going to steal all my pulls before the FF9 event.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
My predictions:

- Dog will be good.
- The archer 5* will be the troll rainbow even if it turns out he's a solid unit. Because the dog is better.
- The 4* will be the actual must-have unit of this banner due to having some super unique and useful abilities.
- You'll have at least 2 High Spirit TMRs from Yun by the time you pull the dog.
- Special event might actually finally be OK and fun for once, if Gumi just loving sticks with what they did last year which was perfectly cool.
- My friend unit will be Olive for a while, even if she's arguably still worse than most finishers post-enhancements.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Olives enhancements could still be good. She's getting even more attack from equipping a gun and regular equip attack as well from that enhancements. Sort of pseudo TDH + even more attack %. Her shatter shot gets a boost to def break and thunder imperil. Probably up to 60% def break and probably a 75% thunder imperil is not bad at all. Given you need to cast it anyways for the imperil the extra def break is just icing, 60% break on demand on a 6* is pretty drat good.

Mortar is probably becoming a super nuke. I dont think I've ever seen something get a boost in attack categorized as "Great" twice in a row. True Shot is also getting a big boost in damage with the second enhancement, which for an ability that has 50% def ignore seems pretty significant. At the very least it'll have similar modifiers to other top tier finishers right now.

Jun might be good too, if only because he gets built in dual wield and his raging bird gets a boost in hit count. Gumi, please dont gently caress it up. Give him a proper chain pattern instead of his own thing (Probably Piledriver)

Japan is getting a weird WHM/BLM/Bard hybrid and another Piledriver 4*. With CG Rain also getting piledriver frames this is turning one of the rarest chain patterns into the second most common one, just slightly above onion slice.

Wyrmthang
Nov 30, 2014

As dry as it gets!
I haven't posted for a while but the luck today was just too good not to brag a little about it. Not only has Lunera been my waifu since she came out and here's her enhancements, but I also managed to pull Ayaka on some random rare ticket I threw at the current banner while chasing Sakura. Ever since I had Lunera everyone said she was ok until she got enhanced then whammo, crazy town with her buffs and mega chain. Now if only I had the gil to fully enhance her on Thursday instead of bit by bit. Ahh Thu can't come soon enough!

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
^^^ this post inspired me to use a rare ticket on the banner and I got a Bedile so thanks I guess

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Olives enhancements could still be good. She's getting even more attack from equipping a gun and regular equip attack as well from that enhancements. Sort of pseudo TDH + even more attack %. Her shatter shot gets a boost to def break and thunder imperil. Probably up to 60% def break and probably a 75% thunder imperil is not bad at all. Given you need to cast it anyways for the imperil the extra def break is just icing, 60% break on demand on a 6* is pretty drat good.

Mortar is probably becoming a super nuke. I dont think I've ever seen something get a boost in attack categorized as "Great" twice in a row. True Shot is also getting a big boost in damage with the second enhancement, which for an ability that has 50% def ignore seems pretty significant. At the very least it'll have similar modifiers to other top tier finishers right now.

Pretty much everything listed for her enhancements are steps in the right direction. If the imperil turns out to be 75% thunder and the break turns into 60% that'll be really nice. But also her Heavy Arms Proficiency getting more equip ATK% in addition to a passive ATK% component for using a gun might allow her to hit BOTH equip and passive ATK% caps with BiS gear. And best of all, that BiS gear won't be NEARLY as innaccessible as it is with most TDH finishers since she'll probably be able to hit her equip ATK% cap without needing the whole Buster Style + 1-2 Marshall Glove whalelord kit.

And of course I am a pretty big fan of Mortar Beacon bullshit. It might just allow my Concealing Cloth Olive to practically solo these dumb 90 NRG story events finally.

Edit: In any case, having both strong imperil and DEF break, on top of solid damage that can be reached much more economically than with other finishers, might finally make Olive a spot-holder on teams. Most other finishers tend to lose out to either another Chainer unit or a support unit for a spot on any team right now.

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 7, 2018

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

What has me intrigued is the potential 7*. At 100% equip attack already from her innate passives, so much % attack already baked into her kit, what can you give her passive wise?

Sparky is mandatory on her, not something completely useless like Lightnings scarf or Trance Terras's accessory, so you cant give her insane passives like other units got from equipping their TM. Plus her TM is already sort of a proto 7* passive built into it. I really hope she gets even more equip attack somewhere because being able to get close to 300% equip without relying on 3 5* tmrs would be fantastic. Maybe give her some way to give her 1 handed weapons damage variance would be better though.

e- Japan also got enhancements for the FFIX crew. Beatrix is somehow getting stronger breaks, assume they only apply to the first step ones and not the second step ones because holy poo poo I dont think 75%+ non limit breaks are sane. Her chain ability got an increase in hits, hopefully the frame data gets unborked so that at least she can chain with herself.

Eiko- Was sort of middling healer compared to ayaka and couldn't nuke as hard as Garnet with summons, but with her enhancements she becomes a summoner machine gun. Just about everything in her kit gives her constant access to more summon orbs. She even generates orbs passively now every turn. The best bullshit "Summon Esper" reward clearer in the game.

Jiraiya- Got the "My kit is so poo poo that my enhancements open up new abilities I didn't have" treatment. Not really as hard as someone like randi but still better than trying to salvage his rest of the kit.

Speaking of randi, another Seiken Densetsu colab. 7* Randi + Reisz and the gang?

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 7, 2018

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

What has me intrigued is the potential 7*. At 100% equip attack already from her innate passives, so much % attack already baked into her kit, what can you give her passive wise?

A damage variance increasing passive for using a 1-handed weapon would be really loving cool! From what I've seen with 7* Trust passives, they could always just increase her True Shot and LB damage and leave it at that though, which would be pretty boring in comparison. The only thing giving her more passive ATK will do is free up equip slots for defense/utility gear I guess? Since she'll probably be close to both equip and passive ATK caps with our current gear selection post-enhancement, nevermind how easily she'll hit both caps once we actually get more gun-related gear.

For her enhancements, I'm guessing True Shot will be bumped to 3.5x mod with 50% DEF ignore, and your take on Shattering Shot's enhancements being 75% thunder imperil and 60% DEF break will be bang-on. Her passive will increase from 75% to 150% equip ATK for double-handing and the extra ATK% from using a gun that gets slapped on will be around 20-30%. Mortar Beacon will increase to 10x, maybe even 15x if they give it the Demon Rain "Counter+2" treatment of 200% boost because it's a fun gimmick thing.

I am really excited and just wish this weekend was Gil Snapper Cave and not loving Crystal Cave.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I don't have any of those units so I'm not as excited but I do have and am looking forward to Ling, Cupid Artemios, Roselia and Ruggles, in that order, getting enhancements.

Cupid Artemios looks like he'll finally get a good bow during this event.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I don't have any of those units so I'm not as excited but I do have and am looking forward to Ling, Cupid Artemios, Roselia and Ruggles, in that order, getting enhancements.

Cupid Artemios looks like he'll finally get a good bow during this event.

Unless they give him tdh, the only bow he wants is tinkerer bow so he can get 130 percent passive attack, I think.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

man looking at cupid artemios kit, they are going to have to work really hard to salvage him

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I hope they do something fun with C. Artemois so my Holy gimmick team of Orlandeu x2, CA, Ray Jack, and VoL can one shot the only boss in the next 12 months that will be weak to Light damage.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
New unit info is up on the wiki.

Puppy looks quite strong for a magic tank. Comes with an AOE 3 turn Stop Immunity, Curaga, Esunaga, Full Life, while its LB can reach 54% AOE Damage Mitigation for 1 turn while also restoring 55% of the party's MP and 5% HP.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Chow is really loving good. Like you won't find a better magic tank till 7* CG Rain comes out and even then his support kit is really loving good. Doggo can equip fist, daggers and staves and since he's a magic tank he is arguably better suited to slot dual wield that a shield. With dual wield you can slot an overdrive or algion fist and holy wand to have access to high tide for even more limit breaking and dual cast his white magics giving him the flexibility to raise, party heal or cleanse in one turn.

Ang at first glance looks like trash but t then you realize he has a self imbue, very high damage single hit limit and ith a good imperil built in and he can equipping fix die. Yeah, he isn't as bad as he looks. FD is probably his best weapon choice but his own TM isn't a bad option and clearly better when you can exploit its killers.

Yun is a different flavor of Riku who's limit break is probably even better.

drat all three units have amazing limits. RIP pots

e-Also Yun's blazing bird has the frame timings of Nyx's kingsglaive but ummmm, I'm pretty sure BB is a run up attack which means it'll whiff eventually with KG. Also Nyx still has poo poo options for equipment as a chainer and will get trumped by Ang now as a self imbuing finisher.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 8, 2018

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Android users rejoice! The magnification trick is back!!

Also the dog is ridiculous. Wilhelm-havers can stagger the dog's LB and wilhelm's LB for a near-constant 50%+ damage mitigation buff, but on top of that the dog's LB has an insanely good MP heal attached to it. Dog can also cure/raise/heal status and give himself reraise. He has a loving SPR/DEF break removal in a magic counter. He just starts fights with a 50% DEF/SPR buff on him.

Jesus, gently caress me I need this dog so bad. Best magic tank. Best dog.

Edit: Also, he has 50% rare item drop boost, like Xon, but is about a million times more useful for long story event farming than Xon.

Edit 2: Datamined enhancements can be found here https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/7w2zi0/gl_ability_awakenings/ Olive's Mortar Beacon+2 is a 12x damage mod, which is pretty amazing compared to the base 5x mod. The ability cryst colors needed for each unit is a good spread that includes some of the less-used flavors, like Olive's Shattering Shot being Black instead of Power which is very nice.

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 8, 2018

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The madmen actually changed Yun's ability to not have him rush in to attack the enemy so yes it perfect chains with kingsglaive. Amazing, good job Gumi. You still need to give nyx better knives but this is a clearly a step in the right direction. With Nyx's enhancement to shred extra fire resistance they can be pretty potent chaining buddies for 10 mans. Also fire is one of those rare elements that eventually gets a non counter 100% imperil eventually, so could scale well later on.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

It's impressive how much Gumi seems to understand what people actually value in new units. I'm fully expecting the valentine event to be a big flop since these units and enhancements are so good.

I'm definitely going to save my tickets until I see what comes next week. If it's a re-run of Yun + other limited GL-exclusives I'll at least have a chance to pull them from the off-banner summon pool while chasing after the dog.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Man I really want to upgrade Olive since she carried my rear end through so much of my early life in the game, but realistically I'm probably not going to use her at all. Not sure if I could justify blowing all those crysts on her.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

arisu posted:

Man I really want to upgrade Olive since she carried my rear end through so much of my early life in the game, but realistically I'm probably not going to use her at all. Not sure if I could justify blowing all those crysts on her.

I have 3 of her so I upgraded my main one, hoping that Gumi does right by her at 7*.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You should upgrade olive if:

She's your only TDH finisher or if you have more TDH finishers but just one Marshall Glove or Cloud's TMR. Olive is the cheapest option to TDH. Her own TMR + Buster Form maxes out TDH attack on the unit. 2 marshalls gloves does the same, or just one marshall glove and a double hand.

You should also upgrade her if you are using Onion/Landus/VoD. On demand 75% imperil is an immediate 25% force multiplier on those guys so long as you have Torintius whatever. Its pretty worthwhile.

You shou'dn't upgrade olive if:

You dont have any of those chainers or already have buster form + 2 marshal gloves. If you have a full set of BIS gear then you probably should roll for Yan you disgusting P2W motherfucker

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

I just said gently caress it and upgraded her anyway. Well all but Mortar Beacon.

I'm a few black alcrysts short of finishing her Shattering shot though. Will probably have that done this week.

EDIT:

Not best in slot, but not bad!

pezzie fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 8, 2018

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
80 ATK higher than my Olive *shakes fist*

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Man. I really want that 75% imperil but black and support are tied for my most used crysts. I think I’m going to hold off and see what happens with Fryevia first (since now I have 2 of her). Or maybe I’ll get lucky going for the doggo and pull an Ace.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Ling and Roselia look pretty good, Cupid Artemios looks decent, at least he probably won't kill himself every time he protects a female.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Olive's BiS kit with 2x Marshall Gloves gets her to 1743 ATK. With Buster Style and 2x Desch Earrings it drops her to 1726 ATK, and with just one Marshall Glove + Desch Earring + Doublehand she drops to 1706 ATK. The fact that she can stay above 1700 ATK with even just one piece of TDH gear is downright impressive.

Of course, you also want her TMR, a Prishe Hat, and an Apron Dress too, and then 2-3 ATK+30% materias and Adventurer V to fill the rest. It's not totally free, but you definitely don't need to dive into deep whale territory to kit her out like the other top-tier finishers in this silly game.

The only thing I'm really miffed about is she's totally locked into Thunder. I was hoping they'd make her passive TDH so she could use a Machine Gun+ and have the option of being a Fire finisher with her fire self-imbue skill, but no dice.

Edit: For comparision, Balthier using the full TDH kit with Machine Gun+ will deal 52.8k damage as 1x mod to a 100 DEF thing, while Olive with even just the single Marshall Glove kit will deal 53.8k under the same conditions. Balthier has a better DPT at around 7.5x vs. Olive's 7.0x, has a weaker imperil and no DEF break (well, he does on a separate skill, but not all-in-one) but Olive's rotation to refresh her imperil+break is shorter than him. Also, Balthier can do Thunder, Fire, Water, and Light, while Olive is stuck with Thunder.

So yeah, you're probably better off skipping Olive's enhancements if you have Balthier and 2x Marshall Gloves + Buster Style. Bonus points if you also won the lottery with all that luck you had left over from pulling.

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 8, 2018

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Jesus gently caress, un-humble brag post:

Half-price pull was BS Sakura

Free pull was my first Ayaka

I actually went to the subReddit just to be sure there wasn't some bug this morning. Nice that the previous event still had 100 catuars so I could level Ayaka.

I need to read up on both toons, I have no idea how to use either.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Office Thug posted:

Of course, you also want her TMR, a Prishe Hat, and an Apron Dress too, and then 2-3 ATK+30% materias and Adventurer V to fill the rest. It's not totally free, but you definitely don't need to dive into deep whale territory to kit her out like the other top-tier finishers in this silly game.

I think Olive does slightly better with Cloud's Uniform than Apron Dress for attack (edit: just checked, +3 more attack with Cloud) if you want to skip one more piece of TMR. Though I'm still torn between the two, nice HP gain on Cloud's Uniform but the Apron Dress has an assload of def and spr (19 more def, 34 more spr)

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

arisu posted:

I think Olive does slightly better with Cloud's Uniform than Apron Dress for attack (edit: just checked, +3 more attack with Cloud) if you want to skip one more piece of TMR. Though I'm still torn between the two, nice HP gain on Cloud's Uniform but the Apron Dress has an assload of def and spr (19 more def, 34 more spr)

Welp, I was so fixated on the fact that Training Clothes couldn't be used on Olive and would be just perfect for her, that I totally missed Cloud's outfit being the next best thing :downs: I'd stick with the Apron just because that's literally her only source of DEF and SPR. I'd slap an Azure Crimson Soul on her in a heartbeat for more HP, if I had a CG Lassworm to siphon it from.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Yea I just burned a bunch of moogles and finished a Queen TMR for my Olive as well just for some added HP. She's at over 6k now, which I'm pretty happy with.

I'll probably end up sticking with the apron as well, since I have several other units that like to use Cloud's uniform. It's just a nice option since it's not a TMR in case you didn't have Amelia.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Since I never managed to pull a Cloud or Marshall Glove person, I instead got my Olive up to a paltry 1563 atk and that makes me feel good regardless. Maybe some day I'll join the cool kids club with some lucky pulls.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I was going to say I was overdue a ticket rainbow but I remember I got a zargaman in the ffxii event :sigh:

Maybe he'll get enhancements that make him a half decent buffer again.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Aw fug. I want the doggo! And it's limited. But I also want to save my tickets for Beatrix.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I’m due a rainbow about the time 7* drops at the rate I’m going. My most recent foray was 10 tickets on the Sakura banner. Ticket 3 was Fryevia #2 and ticket 4 was merc Ramza.

I want the doggo because it looks just like my first dog.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I'm not hard pulling on the dog but if dailies or freebies get it I'll be stoked

drat you gacha game progression too, I just got Mystea maxed today and now she's got this drat dog to contend with, this cute lil sucker

Olive's enhancements look great! But I made my choice. I enhanced Aileen and got her Atk potted, working on the others now - in the end I think she'll be way more useful than any kind of finisher with that much setup for their moves at this point in the meta. I'll need to grind out some more T3 power crysts to get Olive enhanced, and a lot of 'em. Also a bunch of Black T3. Gonna be a whole lotta NRG grinding them out if I want her up any time soon, but I just don't know how much of a priority I should worry about making it since finishers have no strong place for me atm

Agreed fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 9, 2018

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

24 ticket + dialies report:

1 Yan
like 14 Yuris
First Onion Knight
...and my second and third Noctis, which were pulled within three normal tickets. What the hell.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
24 tickets, one 10+1 and the daily free and 1/2 got me

The 5* Archer and Tidus #2. I'll take it. Too bad archers are such hot garbage.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Broke my fast and grabbed 50 bucks worth of lapis to pull more and got a Doggo.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

:staredog:
Daily: Elfreeda
Daily free: Hot garbage
Story quest free lapis 10+1: Umbrella lady, Archer mans, and what's this? Doggo?!

I uh, wow. That'll do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Did a 10+1 and it gave me a Gilgamesh and a second delita. Not gonna roll anymore since it's a pretty clear sign that I'm cursed

• Locked thread