Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dick Trauma posted:

I listen to music on earbuds pretty much all day at work. Sometimes Bill is so goddamn loud the earbuds are not enough so I have to close my door. And then there are times when even that combination is not enough.

That calls for playing my music over the speakers in an attempt to get him to close his own door. With my old boss I found that death metal was effective for this purpose but Bill has proven a tougher nut to crack.

I did have some success this morning though with Radio-Heimatmelodie.de. "Listen to the mountains! With Radio Heimatmelodie, your internet radio station for folk music, folk music and folk songs."

Basically it's jolly oom-pah-pah music which is best enjoyed by being piss-rear end drunk. If you liked the WoW Brewfest music this is your channel. :cheers:

EDIT: This was my goto song for getting my old boss to close his door. He wouldn't just close it, he would slam it shut. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUTaegkIQFM

Big Black described their music as stuff that would get you out of a lease. It's not as harsh as what you linked but playing Jordan, Minnesota loudly would probably get the job done/get you fired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuCs1aKzWiQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

That extension just makes me lol....

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Whirling.
Also added a bit of rainymood:
https://rainymood.com/

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
Love these resumes that put "Assembly" next to "Advanced Microsoft Office operation" in their skills section.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Woo pretty sure I nailed my interview. Only issue is there is definitely going to have to be a second technical as they weren't prepared to tech me out at a deeper level. Hopefully that will be on an onsite meeting so I can kill it

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Whirling.
Also added a bit of rainymood:
https://rainymood.com/

Somehow this came up in my "future funk" spotify playlist but I was pleasantly surprised at the rainy day chillout groove.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Inspector_666 posted:

Big Black described their music as stuff that would get you out of a lease. It's not as harsh as what you linked but playing Jordan, Minnesota loudly would probably get the job done/get you fired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuCs1aKzWiQ

It's funny you mentioned them because back in college I worked at the campus radio station and I would play this to annoy the people outside the dj booth that had to listen to the broadcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AimZElTFKrI

And also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlavtCtKxao

The eighties were a special time in college radio, especially if you were someone like me that hated college radio.

EDIT: "Fall down and worship King Dick!"

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 8, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dick Trauma posted:

It's funny you mentioned them because back in college I worked at the campus radio station and I would play this to annoy the people outside the dj booth that had to listen to the broadcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AimZElTFKrI

Why would that annoy anybody?! What a great track.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sniep posted:

I liked asking linux sysadmins i was screening to list as many ways they could to determine the current time.

there's one precisely wrong answer (time), one default correct answer (date) and then about a hundred varied ways to get it by using standard unix tools in creative ways.

you really can learn just how well someone actually gets linux or not with that one

no it's not fair to people who lack experience.
code:
cat <(curl -v google.ca 2>&1 >/dev/null) | grep Date
< Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 00:11:35 GMT
Read the time returned by Google's HTTP response headers.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Does anyone do anything special for remote developer workstations?

We have an offshore team that works overnight and our previous CEO had us implement Horizon View backed by vSAN. This was for 10 devs!

Aside from having to work through a bunch of kinks it has worked out pretty well all things considered. The local access to our test DBs is a huge performance improvement over the vpn connection they had been using previously.

However due to this I am now VDI guy on top of my regular duties and I can see it becoming a management pain as they grow that team out more.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Had to do a late night cutover for a big client I had never met in person before (we've worked about a year over the phone on random security things). Literally the second thing out of their mouth was "is there a non-compete in our contract that's preventing us from hiring you?"

Unfortunately they would be contractually obligated to cover 150% of my salary to hire me. They are a cool group of guys. Ordered pizza and beer for us while we worked through the maintenance. That was a new one

MagicHateBall
Dec 11, 2002

Humans were drinking alcohol five thousand years ago, and they're still drinking it now. Alcohol is humanity's friend.

Can I abandon a friend?
So I got my start in IT as tier 1 phone support for an MSP helpdesk -- mostly VoIP and access, but they spread out into so many things that sometimes we support everything but the computers. I'm getting bored in my role and there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for technical development. There's a certification reimbursement program, but day to day workload is high enough that we're working just to keep ahead of ticket loads. I'm looking to move up and out, preferably into a sysadmin role, but I'm not quite sure where to get started.

• I'm not entry level, but I'm not terribly far above it either -- which job sites have people in my same position had luck on.
  • I'm not formally certified. I could probably get a CCNA and the LPIC-1 in short order with some studying to brush up on my weak spots -- but is it worth the time and the money to have it on paper?
  • How familiar should I really be with something before putting it as a bullet point on my resume?
  • In a more general sense, what methods have worked to organize objectives and goals for development? I feel like I'm often studying up on half a dozen things, which isn't necessarily bad, but I never know if I'm spreading myself too thin, and picking up a few different things at once can make staying on track with all of them harder.

Sorry to be a first-time poster dumping a bunch of questions in the thread, but I'm not quite sure where else to ask them.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Sepist posted:

Had to do a late night cutover for a big client I had never met in person before (we've worked about a year over the phone on random security things). Literally the second thing out of their mouth was "is there a non-compete in our contract that's preventing us from hiring you?"

Unfortunately they would be contractually obligated to cover 150% of my salary to hire me. They are a cool group of guys. Ordered pizza and beer for us while we worked through the maintenance. That was a new one

I've noticed a lot of your posts are about job hunting and stuff. Are you looking to make a big jump or something that's making it hard?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MagicHateBall posted:

[*]How familiar should I really be with something before putting it as a bullet point on my resume?

In an interview situation with the hiring manager, their boss, and a random VP with an interest in the exact topic, go up to the whiteboard and spend 15 minutes answering detailed questions with diagrams, and discussing your previous accomplishments. Ok, maybe not that much for all of them but being able to get in depth about the really relevant bullet points is how you move from the short list to managing distribution lists for them.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Does anyone do anything special for remote developer workstations?

We have an offshore team that works overnight and our previous CEO had us implement Horizon View backed by vSAN. This was for 10 devs!

Aside from having to work through a bunch of kinks it has worked out pretty well all things considered. The local access to our test DBs is a huge performance improvement over the vpn connection they had been using previously.

However due to this I am now VDI guy on top of my regular duties and I can see it becoming a management pain as they grow that team out more.

Horizon View VDI is probably one of the better options for offshore developers. 10 VMs isn't a huge number but I'm sure you can see how the complexity and time spent managing the VDI infrastructure can get out of control if seats keep being added. It's something best spread out among the team and/or desktop engineer(s), but depending on the size of your org that may not be feasible. If it's just you I'd try to advocate for keeping the pools small, simple, and standardized. Alternatively, give each dev a fresh OS install and let them take ownership of managing their individual VMs since they are (probably?) local admins anyway.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Agreed that VDI seems to be a fine approach to take, makes support easier and you can retain more control of your data.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Just had my performance review. Managed to score "Exceed Expectations"
I am getting a good raise.
:)

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Asimov posted:

Horizon View VDI is probably one of the better options for offshore developers. 10 VMs isn't a huge number but I'm sure you can see how the complexity and time spent managing the VDI infrastructure can get out of control if seats keep being added. It's something best spread out among the team and/or desktop engineer(s), but depending on the size of your org that may not be feasible. If it's just you I'd try to advocate for keeping the pools small, simple, and standardized. Alternatively, give each dev a fresh OS install and let them take ownership of managing their individual VMs since they are (probably?) local admins anyway.

That's what I figured. It hasn't been too bad so far, so we will see. The biggest issue was user profile management, my current solution is to just have a big writable volume attach to each session to maintain software activation's and anything they save locally.

On a separate note, does anyone have and advice for rolling out Windows Firewall (ugh) policies through GPO? We're moving from SEP 14 to Carbon Black Defense, which does not come with a software firewall. I checked our current SEP firewall policy and it is literally the default one, essentially an Any<>Any policy. I would really just like to replicate this in the Windows Firewall so we can 'enable' it and move on with our lives.

My manager is being a stickler for security when it comes to this despite literally nothing of value being in place with SEP. So we're supposed to be going through servers and identifying anything using inbound traffic and writing in those allows to the GPO. We already have strict (hardware) firewall ACLs in between subnets as it is, am I just being too lax in regards to this?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Sepist posted:

They are a cool group of guys. Ordered pizza and beer for us while we worked through the maintenance. That was a new one.

I’m regularly bribed food and booze once a week. Pop is readily available for free.

This is nothing special.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

On a separate note, does anyone have and advice for rolling out Windows Firewall (ugh) policies through GPO? We're moving from SEP 14 to Carbon Black Defense, which does not come with a software firewall. I checked our current SEP firewall policy and it is literally the default one, essentially an Any<>Any policy. I would really just like to replicate this in the Windows Firewall so we can 'enable' it and move on with our lives.

You can easily do it with a conventional GPO if your Windows clients are 7 or higher. Since we have plenty of perimeter firewalls and local av we just shut down the firewall in the domain zone while keeping the private and public zone at full security with just a couple of exceptions for vpns which would do what you ask with a lot less effort.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

I’m regularly bribed food and booze once a week. Pop is readily available for free.

This is nothing special.

Yeah, we get free soda/bottled water/iced tea (as well as coffee and hot tea) and snacks (some healthy, some not so much).

We've been lobbying for a kegerator. Not terribly hopeful, but one of the IT teams has a sanctioned one at HQ so it could happen.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
A bit of a long shot, but does anyone here know a free tool that I can host which would allow me to do the following: Set up a few units that 2-3 people can be assigned to on shifts, which those people should also be able to do themselves. Basically a team scheduling software with several vehicles. It's for coordinating our volunteer ambulances.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
Set up a typical machine with the firewall turned on. Install all of your programs as an administrator as usual and allow them to configure the firewall. Go into the advanced firewall settings and allow traffic as necessary. Unless you want to harden things even more, I recommend allowing all outgoing traffic. Use it a bit like a typical user to see what else you may need to allow. Export these rules from the local machine when done and you can actually import it into group policy. Roll out to some pilot users and tweak as needed. Enable logging, remove user ability to change rules if required, remove local firewall rules from applying in deference to the GPO.

That should get you started!

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
Galaxy brain: Enable firewall so the notification is green. Allow all incoming and outgoing connections.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Captain Ironblood posted:

Galaxy brain: Enable firewall so the notification is green. Allow all incoming and outgoing connections.

I feel like this is terrible advice. The windows firewall is pretty useful.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SEKCobra posted:

A bit of a long shot, but does anyone here know a free tool that I can host which would allow me to do the following: Set up a few units that 2-3 people can be assigned to on shifts, which those people should also be able to do themselves. Basically a team scheduling software with several vehicles. It's for coordinating our volunteer ambulances.

If you qualify for free Office 365 licensing then StaffHub might do what you need

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Tab8715 posted:

This is nothing special.

That's more of a situational thing. My last job would do 1 free lunch for everyone a month. Pop was $0.25. Another office of same job had free snacks and pop. My current job doesn't do any of that. Vending machines are normal\above average prices. :shrug:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

abigserve posted:

I've noticed a lot of your posts are about job hunting and stuff. Are you looking to make a big jump or something that's making it hard?

My experience in the industry has made me very picky about my next job, and my existing high salary has made finding that next position even more difficult. I've only interviewed at Amazon and Presidio. Amazon I heard through a friend that they were going to schedule a second tech call but it's been a few weeks, and Presidio said they can't match my current salary. I submitted my resume to about 5 director positions but didn't hear back, but that is expected without management experience. I have had 2 great interviews with a trading firm which I'm hoping I can secure next week, and I also have a corp to corp role that is panning out positively so far.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Captain Ironblood posted:

Set up a typical machine with the firewall turned on. Install all of your programs as an administrator as usual and allow them to configure the firewall. Go into the advanced firewall settings and allow traffic as necessary. Unless you want to harden things even more, I recommend allowing all outgoing traffic. Use it a bit like a typical user to see what else you may need to allow. Export these rules from the local machine when done and you can actually import it into group policy. Roll out to some pilot users and tweak as needed. Enable logging, remove user ability to change rules if required, remove local firewall rules from applying in deference to the GPO.

That should get you started!

This is good advice. If you already have a bunch of servers stood up with firewalls off and are a bit overwhelmed, you can turn on firewall logging without blocking ports, feed those logs to a log management piece, then see what ports each server is using as a baseline.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My mentor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sXm0y9RcQE

The AG terminal micro-spooled again. That thing takes forever.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Had a fun interaction with a department head yesterday. I told her that I am the new "Mac Guy"(My bosses have all but required that I put it in my email signature so they won't accidentally be asked to do something with one). Her first response was, "Great, can you program an app?"

lmao

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fix a computer, program an app, build a network. It’s all computers, right?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I can whip up a hello world lickity split ma'am!

Also please tell me that there is something more professional than "mac guy" in your signature.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I can whip up a hello world lickity split ma'am!

Also please tell me that there is something more professional than "mac guy" in your signature.

I think you were going for "Computer Guru".

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Beep boop = computer fixed
Bop beep bop = network built
Beeeeep = app built
Bip bop = put it all in the cloud

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Darchangel posted:

Fix a computer, program an app, build a network. It’s all computers, right?

Obviously you haven’t heard of the software defined data center.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does dell have any business line laptops with 8-series processors yet? Or is there a way I can search their catalog with more detail than just “i5” or “i7”?

My manager actually said today that if our hardware was causing us problems we should bring it to his attention and request something better. If I’m going to keep using resource intensive software, I want a real computer suited for more than Word, Outlook, and Chrome.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does dell have any business line laptops with 8-series processors yet? Or is there a way I can search their catalog with more detail than just “i5” or “i7”?

My manager actually said today that if our hardware was causing us problems we should bring it to his attention and request something better. If I’m going to keep using resource intensive software, I want a real computer suited for more than Word, Outlook, and Chrome.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-laptops-and-notebooks/latitude-7490/spd/latitude-14-7490-laptop

e: http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-laptops-and-notebooks/latitude-7490/spd/latitude-14-7490-laptop?appliedRefinements=403,301,203,103

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Has anybody used Azure’s managed MSSQL service? Very early days on moving a fairly lightly used LOB app database and front end servers into Azure, could do with knowing if it’s a poo poo show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

Has anybody used Azure’s managed MSSQL service? Very early days on moving a fairly lightly used LOB app database and front end servers into Azure, could do with knowing if it’s a poo poo show.

I've heard actually nice things about Azure's PaaS things. Particularly I've heard that mssql as a service works well