Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

how many brothels does Starbucks have, anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Good Tuesday posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...9393_story.html

"Trump voting commission bought Texas election data flagging Hispanic voters"

this is A Bad Thing

Then, they "disbanded" and "destroyed" the data.

Good Tuesday
Feb 13, 2012

Anyone can be racist, even me.

:heritage:
Don't argue with me about gun control or I'll call you out on your racial heritage!

osirisisdead posted:

Then, they "disbanded" and "destroyed" the data.

because what they did was "warranted" and "constitutional" no really, pinky promise guys

In other news, Pennsylvania's gerrymandering ruling bodes well for the mandering of gerry going on here in Texas

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Good Tuesday posted:

because what they did was "warranted" and "constitutional" no really, pinky promise guys

In other news, Pennsylvania's gerrymandering ruling bodes well for the mandering of gerry going on here in Texas

Unfortunately that ruling was by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, not SCOTUS.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Going to the congressional district 2 dem primary candidates forum tonight. From what I can gather on their websites and social media Todd Litton is the most well connected guy so I assume it’s his to lose. His repeated call for a return to “common sense and common decency” makes me think he is a super boring middle of the roader who will get crushed by whoever the republicans put up. I guess I’ll find out tonight.

elia
Oct 30, 2008

Saw this on KERA and hadn't seen it posted in here yet:

Dallas County Republicans File Lawsuit To Throw 128 Democrats Off Primary Ballot

http://keranews.org/post/dallas-cou...6713.1516739634

Thoughts?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Sounds about par the course in Texas.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Comrayn posted:

Going to the congressional district 2 dem primary candidates forum tonight. From what I can gather on their websites and social media Todd Litton is the most well connected guy so I assume it’s his to lose. His repeated call for a return to “common sense and common decency” makes me think he is a super boring middle of the roader who will get crushed by whoever the republicans put up. I guess I’ll find out tonight.

Presuming it's still in progress but posting for when you get back - how'd it go?

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

isk posted:

Presuming it's still in progress but posting for when you get back - how'd it go?

I liked what I saw. It's kind of strange when five candidates are all trying to find better ways to say the same things on most of the questions/issues because when they do seem to break away a little it's not clear if that guy just didn't think to say something for a particular question or if they genuinely have different positions on it. I wish I had written some things down so I could be more specific. I didn't dislike any of them but I do have my favorites and you can tell some of them are better at this. Everyone was very against citizens united, for campaign finance reform, gerrymandering bad (just look at our district), called out the tax bill as a big scam, invest in green energy, pay gap, more stuff I can't think to list that everyone was basically in agreement on.

I spent some time at work this afternoon listening to interviews I found with a local progressive blog. I added links below.

In the order they were on the panel:

HP Parvizian - (no interview) - Business owner who my main takeaway was he could be a really good candidate with some more practice. He didn't seem quite as read up on policy and I kind of get the feeling he isn't spending as much time on his campaign as others. I think he stopped short of saying medicare for all and I can't remember what he said about legalizing weed when that came up but I want to say he was for it. On board with every other progressive point said a lot about maternity/paternity leave and putting a stop to harassment.

Ali Khorasani - interview - Young guy going for the run scientists angle. I think he was was pretty good on policy but he needs practice because he was never ready for the time limit. Houston DSA endorsed candidate I think. Medicare for all, legalize weed and pardon offenders, free college, full on lefty stuff. Also the only guy willing to say "I don't like guns" in Texas.

Silky Malik - interview - I thought she killed it. I was worried what she would be like based on how shaky she seemed in her interview but she was great. A lot of passion, well spoken, seemed to know what she was talking about. Grassroots campaign all that good stuff Bernie style, won't take PAC/corporate money but well I doubt that's been an issue for an unknown.

Darnell Jones - interview - He was really good too. I thought he would be more conservative/boring dem riding the military angle but he specifically called out of control military spending saying it is not being spent on the guys on the ground like people like the paint it.

Todd Litton - interview - Mostly who I thought he was. Not a career politician but involved for a long time, call for common sense and decency, definitely well connected and prepared. Campaigning the longest, had a million endorsements from different organizations. He was also by far the most comfortable in this position, seemed like a natural politician. He works in non-profit and his issue that stood out to me was advocating pre-K education, which is his non-profit experience. I don't hate him but think he would probably be another dem who caves on everything and tries to find middle ground. Definitely the least progressive guy on the stage unless I misread Parvizian.

For me it's between Silky Malik and Darnell Jones I would love to see either of them win it. They both came off as strong progressive candidates. HP Parvizian and Ali Khorasani didn't seem as 100% candidate ready to me but they both seemed like cool guys. Because life is terrible the progressive votes will split and Todd Litton will run away with the nomination, fail to get anyone excited about the race, and get destroyed by whatever sludge wins the republican primary.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/956178556014551041

It's PPP doing a poll commissioned by End Citizens United soooooo

:thunk:

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 24, 2018

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Oh, Cruz is up for reelection this go around? :toot:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Looking at my options for March 6th.

I live in safe D State House and Senate districts, and I think the statewide D slate is pretty set in stone. The only D race up for grabs is for the nomination to run against Michael McCaul, and they will not overcome an almost twenty point advantage. It would be nice to elect someone sane and left-ish, as there are absolute nonsense candidates running for the nomination. However, I'd also like a chance to vote against George Prescott Bush. Any reason (in my specific districts) that I shouldn't get the R ballot this time around and just vote against incumbents?

other than personal pride of course

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
https://www.texastribune.org/2018/01/27/texas-gop-executive-committee-censures-house-speaker-joe-straus/

reactionary crybabies posted:

The State Republican Executive Committee voted to censure Texas House Speaker Joe Straus, R-San Antonio, on Saturday, dinging the outgoing state leader for standing in the way of the party leadership group's priorities.

This loving state, I swear.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

It will be funny when these same shitheads get mad at Amazon for not building in Texas.

"What do you mean we are making a hostile environment for business? We are just going after them drat gays and wierdos."

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Beto outraised Ted Cruz by ~$500k last quarter:

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/957827642564251649

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/958367494691008512

Leave my State Republican Rep Wife alone Greg Abbott

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lol

https://twitter.com/wesrap/status/958400218810208258

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zil posted:

It will be funny when these same shitheads get mad at Amazon for not building in Texas.

"What do you mean we are making a hostile environment for business? We are just going after them drat gays and wierdos."

They don't realize that they are backwards crackpots.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/JTiloveTX/status/959233181097644032

I hate these fuckers. You live in Dripping Springs!!!

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Zil posted:

Though it is sad all these states and cities are treating Amazon as a franchise sports team complete with cushy deals and tax breaks that they will be paying for decades from now.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't recall if this has been posted already, but Austin City Council is voting on city-wide mandatory paid sick leave.

It's badass and you should call your council member to tell them to support it.

If you live in District 10, call Alison Alter and ask her to support it (she is considered a swing vote).
District 10 map: http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/Planning/Demographics/Districts10_10_detail.pdf

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Frijolero posted:

Don't recall if this has been posted already, but Austin City Council is voting on city-wide mandatory paid sick leave.

It's badass and you should call your council member to tell them to support it.

If you live in District 10, call Alison Alter and ask her to support it (she is considered a swing vote).
District 10 map: http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/Planning/Demographics/Districts10_10_detail.pdf

Ora Houston is planning to vote against this because she is possibly the worst representative her district could have. If you live in District 1, please volunteer for one of her opponents!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Also, DMN and the Houston Chronicle have both endorsed Andrew White over Lupe Valdez, mainly because Valdez seems to have an incredibly poor grasp of the issues.

I'm voting for Tom Wakely but maybe it'll go to a runoff.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Beto is coming to SA for the first time in a while on the 11th and the 12th if anyone's interested.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
hell yeah beto the goon doing an exclusive something for us members

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/960879537805512706

foh fredo

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
:lol:

https://twitter.com/hashtaggriswold/status/960972379047518208

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

Also, DMN and the Houston Chronicle have both endorsed Andrew White over Lupe Valdez, mainly because Valdez seems to have an incredibly poor grasp of the issues.

I'm voting for Tom Wakely but maybe it'll go to a runoff.

These editorials were savage, she doesn't know poo poo.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Aliquid posted:

These editorials were savage, she doesn't know poo poo.

Yeah it was really surprising to me tbh. She doesn't seem to have done much policy prep on what exactly she wants to run on.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Castro really needs more experience before he runs.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

O'Rourke was supposed to go to Texarkana and surrounding areas but it seems to have gotten cancelled.

I'm happy that he at least attempted that neck of the woods (he did it last May), but having been raised there, he may not have gotten to most of the people there. The rich are teapartiers, the poor are disenfranchised and it would be very difficult. The democrats in the area are terribly disorganized.

Sigh.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Al Franken polling surprisingly well

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Al Franken polling surprisingly well

There’s a hardcore of twitter liberals who reply to every post about Kirsten Gillibrand calling her a traitor for hurting poor Al Franken, so I imagine he’s getting those people at least.

Also the Statesman editor came out today against Casar’s paid sick leave ordinance because it hurts small and minority-owned businesses. Because if you work for a small business you are inherently less deserving of paid sick leave, I guess :jerkbag:

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Those Biden memes... man... Those were some great memes! :suicide:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

i'd put some real thought into gillibrand unless peter thiel turns Warren or Sanders into a vampire in the meantime

edit: warren goes all ventrue and can only subsist on the blood of bankers and credit card executives

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

There’s a hardcore of twitter liberals who reply to every post about Kirsten Gillibrand calling her a traitor for hurting poor Al Franken, so I imagine he’s getting those people at least.

Tahnks for following my account

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
I like Sherrod Brown :(

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Badger of Basra posted:

Also the Statesman editor came out today against Casar’s paid sick leave ordinance because it hurts small and minority-owned businesses. Because if you work for a small business you are inherently less deserving of paid sick leave, I guess :jerkbag:

I don't know how marginal the Council/public support is for this plan, but if it's necessary to pass, could they not toss in an exemption for those situations? Coverage for some is better than nothing...

If it does pass, who wants to bet that the vindictive ghouls in the Lege will pass something in the next legislative session prohibiting municipalities from regulating sick leave or other worker benefits.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
Is there a good resource that shows what the different upcoming primary candidates believe in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MelanieCBS/status/961978296568369152

Two things: gently caress OFF MLS

and

Why do we have a separate gay chamber of commerce, this isn't Jackson Mississippi