Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Aphrodite posted:

Wait, Fury Road has romance and prominent male characters.

Fury Road doesn’t have romance uhm like at all and Max, while prominent, has like 10 lines in the whole movie. The movie is about Furiosa, hence the subtitle.

Immortan Joe is like an idea more than a character, which is why we never see his face unmasked or revealed. The idea he represents is dead when he dies, the man is irrelevant.

Sorry if I’m slipping into SuperMechaGodzilla territory, I talked myself blue about MM:FR when it dropped and I still think it’s the best action movie in the last 10 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Fury Road doesn’t have romance uhm like at all and Max, while prominent, has like 10 lines in the whole movie. The movie is about Furiosa, hence the subtitle.

Sure it does: Nux and Splendid Capable.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 8, 2018

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, like, in the JJ2 trailer
Slow clapper is totally a killgrave hallucination right?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, like, in the JJ2 trailer
Slow clapper is totally a killgrave hallucination right?

Yeah, they've said outright before that Jessica is suffering some amount of PTSD from Kilgrave still, and probably always will. That kind of trauma rarely goes away completely.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Re: Black Widow’s age, Zola literally says she was born in 1984 in Winter Soldier. Same age as Scarlett.

https://youtu.be/KwjXPA8mZYk

To keep this more on topic, it’s a little disappointing that Daredevil and Widow have a decades long comics relationship that will never show up in the MCU due to the different Movie/TV lanes.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Bust Rodd posted:

Black Falcon

:thunk:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
as a general rule if a black hero doesn't have electricity powers and isn't Spawn they have "black" in their name

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I couldn't decide if that was worth drawing attention to or if it just deserved a pass on the grounds of "Black Lightning, Black Panther, Black Vulcan... I see a troubling pattern".

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
it's absolutely worth drawing attention to but it's not really a unique issue to that character

like, it's kind of loving sad and astounding that Spawn of all characters is probably the most famous black superhero where his race isn't used as a gimmick in any way (and he also doesn't inexplicably have electric powers)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

STAC Goat posted:

I couldn't decide if that was worth drawing attention to or if it just deserved a pass on the grounds of "Black Lightning, Black Panther, Black Vulcan... I see a troubling pattern".

Black Vulcan wanted to be called Supervolt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKbGnzmidsw

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

it's absolutely worth drawing attention to but it's not really a unique issue to that character

like, it's kind of loving sad and astounding that Spawn of all characters is probably the most famous black superhero where his race isn't used as a gimmick in any way (and he also doesn't inexplicably have electric powers)

Blade?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

as a general rule if a black hero doesn't have electricity powers and isn't Spawn they have "black" in their name

Except for the bit where this particular hero has never been called that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Phylodox posted:

Blade?

John Stewart too.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

STAC Goat posted:

John Stewart too.

Hoping Bishop gets some love after Deadpool 2

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Black Widow can’t carry a whole film on her own, not because ScarJondoesnt have the range, but because Black Widow doesnt have the range.

I would argue Scarjo doesn't have the range. I know she's headlined a lot of "good" movies but she's so drat bland to me. I hope they give her some meaty scenes and range in the Black Widow movie.

quote:

How do you think Black Falcon feels/War Machine feels about being black heroes in the MCU but Black Panther is basically being sold as the first Black Super Hero of the generation. Is it because they just have armor and BP has actual powers? Or is because BP is like a real hero in his own whereas War Machine and Falcon need a team to really shine.

Falcon and War Machine were kinda goofy sidekicks. I'm not going to go into racist tropes but the closest we got to either of them celebrating their blackness or even addressing it was Falcon telling Iron Man he'd have to "Mark Furhman" him. Which is probably my favorite line in the whole movie. Most of the reason Black Panther is being celebrated is because it's black as gently caress.

RareAcumen posted:

When I brought up Black Widow maybe also having been given some kind of serum like Captain America, I just meant the character in general. Not specifically in the whole movie connection.

Falcon would be a great foil to BW, better than Hawkeye, honestly. My hope is that when Evans leaves they let Falcon become Captain America instead of Bucky. Black Panther's sales are amazing so hopefully they get the hint and let Falcon take the mantle and give him his own movie.

So in my head it's something like:
Falcon becomes Cap -> Black Widow movie (with Falcon!Cap being the side character, like BW has been in to CA, so it's circular and carries emotional weight) - > Falcon!Cap Solo film

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Black Widow: Agent of SHIELD, drat it! The only way to possibly get them in the movies.

Koalas March posted:

Falcon would be a great foil to BW, better than Hawkeye, honestly. My hope is that when Evans leaves they let Falcon become Captain America instead of Bucky. Black Panther's sales are amazing so hopefully they get the hint and let Falcon take the mantle and give him his own movie.

So in my head it's something like:
Falcon becomes Cap -> Black Widow movie (with Falcon!Cap being the side character, like BW has been in to CA, so it's circular and carries emotional weight) - > Falcon!Cap Solo film

It sort of feels like turning Sam into Captain America and then immediately making him a side character to someone else is actually kind of dismissive and patronizing. No? Like, if you're going to introduce a new Cap - whether its Falcon or Bucky - seems like you have to commit and immediately make him "Cap" with the A List spot or else you're just keeping them as sidekicks.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Black Bolt

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

STAC Goat posted:

Black Widow: Agent of SHIELD, drat it! The only way to possibly get them in the movies.

The television and movie divisions of Marvel are completely separate from one another and have been since August 2015. You aren't going to see anyone from AoS or the Netflix shows popping up in the movies.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Timby posted:

The television and movie divisions of Marvel are completely separate from one another and have been since August 2015. You aren't going to see anyone from AoS or the Netflix shows popping up in the movies.

I know. Its just a dumb idea of mine that since both SHIELD in the movies and a Black Widow movie seem like impossibilities I just want it all in one.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m sorry I thought his name was Black Falcon, I see now that he is simply Black and a ‘The Falcon’.

I always appreciated that Spawn was always black even when he didn’t have skin anymore. Although I always chuckle when I think that Todd McFarlane’s answer to creating a strong black role model was a homeless, disfigured Veteran.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Bust Rodd posted:

I always appreciated that Spawn was always black even when he didn’t have skin anymore.

Except when he turned into a white guy. Because after he became a superhero his choices were either McDonald’s dumpster ground beef face or Jack McBrayer.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
An hour and a half of black widow doing a bunch of unnecessary flips sounds like a boring rear end movie to me. She is such a lovely, generic spy that can fight character.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Field Mousepad posted:

An hour and a half of black widow doing a bunch of unnecessary flips sounds like a boring rear end movie to me. She is such a lovely, generic spy that can fight character.

But what if we were to add in Roy Harper from Arrow?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
A good movie can be made out of anything. It's a matter of writing/cinematography.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Uh, not quite. They've not given away who most of the new actors are playing, but we know that Janet McTeer and David Tennant are recurring this season, and Leah Gibson and J.R. Ramirez are going to be new regulars.

yeah, that's what I meant

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Black Bolt

You mean Blackagar Boltagon?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Field Mousepad posted:

Worked well for Jason Bourne.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

homullus posted:

Worked well for Jason Bourne.

He's not part of the marvel universe though. If you had him next to a god, an unstoppable living tank and billion dollar tech suit man I would have said the same thing about him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

STAC Goat posted:

It sort of feels like turning Sam into Captain America and then immediately making him a side character to someone else is actually kind of dismissive and patronizing.

That's what they did to Steve Rogers, tho

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Field Mousepad posted:

He's not part of the marvel universe though. If you had him next to a god, an unstoppable living tank and billion dollar tech suit man I would have said the same thing about him.

Sorry, I inferred that you were talking about a standalone Black Widow movie being boring.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Field Mousepad posted:

Yeah but what if he rolls up a magazine and uses it as a weapon?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I generally don’t mind Black Widow, but she was awful in Iron Man 2. And she’s pals with the Arrow, the worst avenger.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Field Mousepad posted:

So...Hawkeye?

Like, he was even in a Bourne movie.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Where does The Shoveler fit into these power rankings?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

homullus posted:

Sorry, I inferred that you were talking about a standalone Black Widow movie being boring.

I was. But I'm pretty sure a black widow movie would have some super hero cameos. I think it could work as a Netflix series, not a feature length film.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
It could work... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_5KgpN38hM

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

More like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxCjqhDD7X4

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Azhais posted:

Where does The Shoveler fit into these power rankings?

I dunno. He shovels well. In fact he shovels better than any man I have ever seen...

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 9, 2018

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Field Mousepad posted:

I was. But I'm pretty sure a black widow movie would have some super hero cameos. I think it could work as a Netflix series, not a feature length film.

It's a shame the Netflix series characters will never appear in the movies because a Black Widow/Punisher teamup/buddy murder movie would be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'd love to see Daredevil appear in the Spider-man movies, those two always had great team ups in the comics