Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

neonbregna posted:

Yellow means proceed with caution

Ha, ha. No. On traffic signals as part of the operation in the US, it means clear the intersection. If you are approaching the intersection and have time to slow down and stop, do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Neutrino posted:

Ha, ha. No. On traffic signals as part of the operation in the US, it means clear the intersection. If you are approaching the intersection and have time to slow down and stop, do it.

Yeah, flashing yellow is more proceed with caution/yield. Solid yellow means stop if safe

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Where I live there's a flashing green light at some intersections and every non-local is confused as poo poo the first time they drive here.

Pedestrian controlled traffic light - it will always flash green unless a ped hits the crossing button.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Prav posted:

huh i wonder what kind of a substance pentaborane is

oh

quote:

Above 30 °C it can form explosive concentration of vapors with air. Its vapors are heavier than air. It is pyrophoric—can ignite spontaneously in contact with air, when even slightly impure. It can also readily form shock sensitive explosive compounds, and reacts violently with some fire suppressants, notably with halocarbons and water. It is highly toxic and symptoms of lower-level exposure may occur with up to 48 hours delay. Its acute toxicity is comparable to some nerve agents.

Occupational exposure limits for pentaborane set by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health stand at 0.005 ppm (0.01 mg/m3) over an eight-hour time-weighted average, with a short-term exposure limit of 0.015 ppm (0.03 mg/m3). The acute toxicity of pentaborane has caused it to be considered immediately dangerous to life and health, with a limit set at 1 ppm.

:aaaaa:

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

My neck hurts from looking at this

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

lmao thats awesome

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I still don't understand the Austrian rules on traffic lights.

Lights go in the order green -> flashing green (couple seconds) -> yellow (couple seconds) -> red
Green means go.
Flashing greens mean "stop if at all able, go if unable to stop" (so the same as the meaning of yellow in all sane countries)
Yellow means stop (it is illegal to cross at this time)
Red means stop (it is equally illegal to cross at this time).

The only reason they seem to have yellow is to have an extra light for the short amount of time between the point the intersection is cleared and the other road gets green. And while that might be useful for traffic planners to know, it has no separate legal status whatsoever and it doesn't give any useful information to anyone waiting for the light.

Austria introduced a fourth state for no good reason whatsoever and while doing so, they redefined yellow to mean something else than in every other country.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

I like that the Wikipedia page calls out that they made 1900 pounds of the stuff in the 60s/70s to see if it'd make good rocket fuel (it didn't) and couldn't dispose of it until 2000 because someone had to invent a way to do it safely

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That seems very strange and unnecessary indeed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i decided to support these stupid dead forums a little more

:nfpa: : nfpa :

will be very handy for this thread, pyf chemistry thread, horrible mechanical failures, schadenfreude, etc

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Sagebrush posted:

will be very handy for this thread, pyf chemistry thread, horrible mechanical failures, schadenfreude, etc

:nfpa:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Carbon dioxide posted:

I still don't understand the Austrian rules on traffic lights.

Lights go in the order green -> flashing green (couple seconds) -> yellow (couple seconds) -> red
Green means go.
Flashing greens mean "stop if at all able, go if unable to stop" (so the same as the meaning of yellow in all sane countries)
Yellow means stop (it is illegal to cross at this time)
Red means stop (it is equally illegal to cross at this time).

The only reason they seem to have yellow is to have an extra light for the short amount of time between the point the intersection is cleared and the other road gets green. And while that might be useful for traffic planners to know, it has no separate legal status whatsoever and it doesn't give any useful information to anyone waiting for the light.

Austria introduced a fourth state for no good reason whatsoever and while doing so, they redefined yellow to mean something else than in every other country.

There's an intersection i cross on way to work doing something new, it's an LED signal and when on red it strobes white/red super fast. It may be broken or something, but it sure does catch your attention because the white LED on those things are blindingly bright (it also drat near gives you a seizure).

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

this is fantastic.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
:nfpa: is awesome.

Baronjutter posted:

My wife worked auto-claims in an insurance company.
That was amazing. I want more.

I'm worried that my cousin is going to be the rich stupid parent in one of those 20-something-is-entitled-idiot stories. He paid off his kid's several-thousand-dollar fine for driving while stupid with no real consequences for the 18-year-old.

I also figured out your wife's area included Fort McMurray by the end of the two-trucks-one-fire-and-one-frozen-lake story. There needs to be a thread somewhere that's just people telling stories about Fort McMurray. From what I've been told the place has really calmed down, but anybody who was there between about 2001 and 2010 has some great stories.

Baronjutter posted:

Not to accuse anyone of anything, but these were both oil workers driving home at like 4am after a night on the town after payday using a bypass off the main road that had drunk driving checkpoints set up.
This is not an amazing Fort Mac story. It's just an every goddam day story. Including the part about staying out all night in winter with a stranger you met because you both hosed up in the exact same weird way.

It's stories like that I want to see in the Fort Mac thread. Is there a Fort Mac thread already?

And I still want to see the "I am an insurance adjuster. You are now hosed." thread.

Dillbag posted:

Where I live there's a flashing green light at some intersections and every non-local is confused as poo poo the first time they drive here.

Pedestrian controlled traffic light - it will always flash green unless a ped hits the crossing button.
This is the same in British Columbia, or it was when I lived in Vancouver. Small road intersecting big road had a signal that is not on a timer, somebody has to push a button or sometimes there's a sensor in the road for a car trying to turn left at that spot (LOL motorcycles).
Flashing green lights at most interesections in Eastern Canada mean "advance left turn" - you can turn left because oncoming traffic, directly across the intersection, is facing a red light.
This is an old signal and has been replaced with green arrows that don't flash in many places, but small towns still have them and I know of one here in Quebec city, population 500 000.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Now that is a steely.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
What it really needs is a patch of duct tape across the crack.

also I gotta say how much I love the :nfpa: emote.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Budgie posted:

We have both average speed cameras and instantaneous speed cameras. Also the police have speed cameras. Also some roadworks have speed cameras too. And red light cameras. These are just the road related cameras in the most surveilled country in the world.

I used to hate the average speed cameras on the A9 but it turns out you can still do 65mph on single carriageway and 75-80 on dual and not get a ticket.

Wow. I knew kind of vaguely the there were a ton of cameras in the UK, but that's so excessive it's unsettling.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

owns

Sagebrush posted:

extra owns

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

You know what? Tire blowouts just aren't dangerous enough and I know just how to improve that!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Taerkar posted:

You know what? Tire blowouts just aren't dangerous enough and I know just how to improve that!

This is exactly what I thought of, that's going to be some wicked shrapnel.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

MF_James posted:

This is exactly what I thought of, that's going to be some wicked shrapnel.

Tire towards enemy

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Sagebrush posted:

i love you both

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Azhais posted:

I like that the Wikipedia page calls out that they made 1900 pounds of the stuff in the 60s/70s to see if it'd make good rocket fuel (it didn't) and couldn't dispose of it until 2000 because someone had to invent a way to do it safely
That's not even the most :stare: part.

Wikipedia posted:

The propellant mix that would produce the greatest specific impulse for a rocket motor is sometimes given as oxygen difluoride and pentaborane[citation needed].
I don't need a citation, thanks very much.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Australian police investigating a suspicious woodchipper accident.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Sagebrush posted:

We got the mech failure thread back?!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Proteus Jones posted:

That's the rating for "move to another continent", right?

"If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Synthbuttrange posted:

Australian police investigating a suspicious woodchipper accident.

Serious question: How do you deal with the, um, extra entropy when investigating something like this?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Little pink flags

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

VanSandman posted:

Serious question: How do you deal with the, um, extra entropy when investigating something like this?

You pause the simulation

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

We got the mech failure thread back?!

I was thinking of this one https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222431

A good read for people in this thread who haven't seen it yet

Fastidious Toes
Apr 10, 2009

so much blood....

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Well the paint seems pretty worn- so at least they're checking signing off on the pressure

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's okay, we got this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIq9khF-axs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksLAHRWE9DQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JxWvPTtJKI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU9MB5XPsp4

Fastidious Toes
Apr 10, 2009

so much blood....

"Hey Bill! Run to your truck and grab your lock pick kit! Hurry!"

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Well the paint seems pretty worn- so at least they're checking signing off on the pressure

Not pictured: the burned corpse who spent his/her last moments trying to hulk the padlock off the fire extinguisher box.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Honestly though, if you don't have time to unlock the padlock on the fire extinguisher box, you probably shouldn't be trying to fight it with a fire extinguisher either.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jabor posted:

Honestly though, if you don't have time to unlock the padlock on the fire extinguisher box, you probably shouldn't be trying to fight it with a fire extinguisher either.

Why even have fire extinguishers. Why not let fire just do whatever fire wants to do, why mess with nature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Azhais posted:

Yeah, flashing yellow is more proceed with caution/yield. Solid yellow means stop if safe

In Texas (at least Austin) we are starting to get these flashing yellow arrow signals, replacing the simple traditional green light (which means left turns allowed but you must yield to oncoming traffic). I guess people became too dumb to follow the "yield" part. Are these yellow arrow things common elsewhere?

Edit: the first time I saw one of these, I was fighting 30 years of driving experience which programmed me that "yellow means I can still go" and having an actual arrow means it's a protected turn and I DON"T need to yield.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Feb 9, 2018