Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish voice chat was forced on during the match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

:same:

yelling at people should be a viable tactic

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

New Zealand can eat me posted:

:same:

yelling at people should be a viable tactic

I'm ok with this provided that my ingame bullets subsequently kill you irl also

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I feel like I'm getting better at shooting, but my tactics/strategy definitely needs improvement.

My biggest handicap is that I'm deaf in one ear and play with headphones with all sound channeled into that ear. I can rarely tell where shots or footsteps are coming from most of the time.

Anyone with a similar malady ever figure out a way around that?

Asus gaming motherboards come with software called Sonic Radar which puts an overlay over games with visual indicators of the direction sounds are coming from. You can toggle between different frequency ranges too, to, say, isolate something that sounds like gunshots instead of the plane.

Afaik you can't download it without a certain type of motherboard though, as it works with their specific audio drivers, so I'm not sure how helpful this. Brief googling doesn't show up any similar software that works PCs more broadly.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Bryter posted:

Asus gaming motherboards come with software called Sonic Radar which puts an overlay over games with visual indicators of the direction sounds are coming from. You can toggle between different frequency ranges too, to, say, isolate something that sounds like gunshots instead of the plane.

Afaik you can't download it without a certain type of motherboard though, as it works with their specific audio drivers, so I'm not sure how helpful this. Brief googling doesn't show up any similar software that works PCs more broadly.

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into that.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Bryter posted:

drat, I independently invented this recently and was wondering if somebody had already done it. My idea was you could output the sound to a second machine tho and work out based on the left/right balance and use it as a hack. Good job I'm not a programmer.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Bryter posted:

Any sort of more broad software is going to get you banned from the game you're playing for cheating. If you use the ASUS software you won't.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Ziploc posted:

OK PUBG. I WON'T CHAT WITH MY FRIENDS WHILE PLAYING.

19:18:58: Starting BattlEye Service...

19:19:02: Launching game...
19:20:21: Note: File blocks can be ignored if they don't cause problems with the game.
19:20:21: [INFO] Blocked loading of file: "C:\Program Files\YakYak-win32-x64\YakYak.exe".

wolrah posted:

Does it try to do an overlay of any sort? If so that's why. Disable the overlay or get your friends to use something normal that's in BattlEye's whitelist.

It's just a GoogleChat/Hangouts app that has NO overlay.

So I'm miffed.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

For whoever was asking if there was definitive proof dust map happens in Mexico

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I mean the people that live in that part of the desert map just might be really into Mexican culture

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Bryter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAuUKAODG20

I looked up what this looks like and :lol: looks a bit hacky to me

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAuUKAODG20

I looked up what this looks like and :lol: looks a bit hacky to me

Doesn't look like it's much help to be honest. I looked at another video and it's ehhhh.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

afkmacro posted:

Doesn't look like it's much help to be honest. I looked at another video and it's ehhhh.

Yeah, if you're playing with headphones on (and your hearing isn't impaired) it really doesn't seem to tell you anything you don't already know, it just presents the information differently

MysteriousStranger posted:

Any sort of more broad software is going to get you banned from the game you're playing for cheating. If you use the ASUS software you won't.

Surely it would be pretty hard to detect if it worked in a similar way though. It doesn't do anything to the game, it just takes the data the game spits out and makes some graphics out of it.

Bryter fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 8, 2018

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So battle eye thingy banned one million accounts in January. That's a lot of hackers.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Here is my new and controversial opinion: ban China

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I want region locking simply so my client will stop defaulting to the Asian server for no discernible reason.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

I want region locking simply so my client will stop defaulting to the Asian server for no discernible reason.

orrrrr they could just fix that bug?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

AnEdgelord posted:

Log in, it's still on NA, play a match. Die horribly, hop back into the queue, wow I'm owning everyone! It's as though these people are totally new and I'm just clow----oh god drat it I'm back on AS aren't I. Sure enough, 9 kill dinner later it was Asia.

fargom posted:

orrrrr they could just fix that bug?

do they even consider it a bug because this poo poo's been around a long drat time

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

AnEdgelord posted:

Don’t worry they’ll just default to a region you can’t connect to :downs:

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

There's a parade float in (I think) El Azahar that says MEXICO 1985 on it

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

NtotheTC posted:

I'm ok with this provided that my ingame bullets subsequently kill you irl also

I've changed my mind on this after remembering that you can't mute horns. Well you can, but you won't hear anything else

Surely someone out there has replaced the audio file with a silent one

Red Red Blue posted:

There's a parade float in (I think) El Azahar that says MEXICO 1985 on it

Pics pls

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
actually the best thing would be instead of banning hackers put them on their own hackers servers and let them duke it out, when they get banned they just buy a new game right away and start over so this way they might not notice right away.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

Here is my new and controversial opinion: ban China

I like how they don't wanna region lock cause that'd be racist but Trump's goddamn wall is in the Mexican map.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

oooooooor they don't want to region lock because they don't want to risk any of that sweet, sweet Chinese money

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
They don't even need a region lock. Get rid of the location chooser and match people based on ping.

Problem solved

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ziploc posted:

It's just a GoogleChat/Hangouts app that has NO overlay.

So I'm miffed.

I'm looking at the screenshots and....uh....what exactly is different about that from the official Google Chrome app for Hangouts? It looks pretty much identical to me and that works fine with PUBG.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Wheeee posted:

oooooooor they don't want to region lock because they don't want to risk any of that sweet, sweet Chinese money

Why exactly would Chinese players stop buying the game if they could only play on the Chinese servers? I'm seriously not understanding your standpoint so please explain.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Hellsau posted:

do they even consider it a bug because this poo poo's been around a long drat time

I mean yeah it's a bug, but it's probably not the highest priority because it doesn't prevent you from playing. Annoying? yes, but at the end of the day it has a simple workaround compared to crippling lag and crashes, ect. I agree it's been far too long without a fix though, should have made one of these releases.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I’m so miffed they fixed the WILDCARD BITCHES :supaburn: plane bug

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Why exactly would Chinese players stop buying the game if they could only play on the Chinese servers? I'm seriously not understanding your standpoint so please explain.
Because that's where the vast majority of the hackers would be playing is my guess.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Rex-Goliath posted:

I’m so miffed they fixed the WILDCARD BITCHES :supaburn: plane bug

Those are literally the only good matches on the new map.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

What was the CHARLIE DAY bug?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

highme posted:

Probably when the plane farted out everybody at once.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

the us border wall on the north end wasn't enough?

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Hey man, South Korea has a wall and Bluehole must think its working out well enough for them.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

VulgarandStupid posted:

Those are literally the only good matches on the new map.

*were

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

highme posted:

the very moment it became possible to jump from the plane it would throw EVERYONE out and it would be glorious. whatever city was closest would have maybe 30-40 people dropping on it while everything within dropping distance would at least have a handful. think that lonely shack by the side of the road is safe? nope you’ve got three others fighting you for it.

it was even better in squads because you’d have to scream out an LZ for everyone to hit

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'm sad I missed that.

In my non-opinion, it would be cool if the plane just randomly kicked everyone out one by one and nobody could choose when to drop.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

have any of playerunknowns previous iterations included a random spawn? like everyone just spawns somewhere random on the map and you immediately start playing.

it’d be interesting to play a squad game and part of it is trying to link up with your teammates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
PUBG's new anticheat is totally working guys, Reshade was the true hack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kthd1YHtvs

Rex-Goliath posted:

have any of playerunknowns previous iterations included a random spawn? like everyone just spawns somewhere random on the map and you immediately start playing.

it’d be interesting to play a squad game and part of it is trying to link up with your teammates

This was a part of DayZ and it loving sucked because it would take you an hour of running to reach your teammates.