Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

vandalism posted:

I lied about refunding this game. I kept it and installed it and played for a bit. It's very overwhelming and confusing.

The game definitely feels like walking into a city market where everything is just there in front of you. My recommendation would be to follow the main quest as it takes you from place to place and see what you fancy. Mob farming, horse riding, fishing, trade routes. When you think you've found something that peaks your interest I would focus more on that and less on other stuff. Don't try to do everything as you will get overwhelmed real quick. I started off wanting to cook but now I just run around mining ore and getting lumber for the market and use the money to buy everything else I need. Money is pretty easy to obtain in this MMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Revolver Bunker posted:

The game definitely feels like walking into a city market where everything is just there in front of you. My recommendation would be to follow the main quest as it takes you from place to place and see what you fancy. Mob farming, horse riding, fishing, trade routes. When you think you've found something that peaks your interest I would focus more on that and less on other stuff. Don't try to do everything as you will get overwhelmed real quick. I started off wanting to cook but now I just run around mining ore and getting lumber for the market and use the money to buy everything else I need. Money is pretty easy to obtain in this MMO.

it all eventually boils down to pouring money directly into your gear

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Is anyone interested in grinding sailing? We now have a GM alt parked out at port ratt, and we can take turns driving a boat back if we have a group of people with sailboats that want to level the skill. It takes about an hour of afk sailing to get back to velia/epheria with +5 green boat gear, and we can ctg and remote collect a sailboat at ratt (need to bring silver for this). All you need is an alt with some armor since you will take some hits from sea monsters and ideally your own boat so the same person doesn't have to drive every time.

Note that the sailing skill is almost completely useless right now, with the only somewhat useful thing being the skill at skilled one.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

gwrtheyrn posted:

Is anyone interested in grinding sailing? We now have a GM alt parked out at port ratt, and we can take turns driving a boat back if we have a group of people with sailboats that want to level the skill. It takes about an hour of afk sailing to get back to velia/epheria with +5 green boat gear, and we can ctg and remote collect a sailboat at ratt (need to bring silver for this). All you need is an alt with some armor since you will take some hits from sea monsters and ideally your own boat so the same person doesn't have to drive every time.

Note that the sailing skill is almost completely useless right now, with the only somewhat useful thing being the skill at skilled one.

I'd love to get in on this but I haven't even started on the sailboat.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Katt posted:

I'd love to get in on this but I haven't even started on the sailboat.

you don't strictly need one, but you'd be tied to the schedule of someone who does. I can try to do a couple runs next weekend in the early afternoon my time so it shouldn't be too late for euro tz. I'm not free to do it this weekend since I'll be out of town. Someone else can run it if they have a boat and can get the ctg. ctg is not strictly necessary but it cuts an hour off of the trip for 3mil in guild funds

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

gwrtheyrn posted:

you don't strictly need one, but you'd be tied to the schedule of someone who does. I can try to do a couple runs next weekend in the early afternoon my time so it shouldn't be too late for euro tz. I'm not free to do it this weekend since I'll be out of town. Someone else can run it if they have a boat and can get the ctg. ctg is not strictly necessary but it cuts an hour off of the trip for 3mil in guild funds

I can stay up later too so it doesn't get too early for you. Like up to 10 in the evening UTC works.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Katt posted:

I can stay up later too so it doesn't get too early for you. Like up to 10 in the evening UTC works.

That's like 2 in the afternoon for me

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

gwrtheyrn posted:

That's like 2 in the afternoon for me

Oh.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Finally have full boss armor :toot:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Oh man, p2w tent is in

and it is like 50 dollars but comes with a goblin

also lol at it being 50 dollars

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

What do the tent and the camping kits even do?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The camping kit gives you a place to buy potions at inflated prices and pay a poo poo ton more to repair also stores a few items for you.

There is a weekly or daily cost to use it which goes into the millions easily.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Also lets you get pseudo-villa buffs

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Not sure if you can even get those yet since you have to buy them and it has to have a special tent.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Third World Reggin posted:

Not sure if you can even get those yet since you have to buy them and it has to have a special tent.

the special tent that just got added and you posted about, 4900 pearls for an infinite tent and it lets you activate villa buffs anywhere (you still need to go and invite the villa the first time).

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Apparently the hekaru quests are more efficient than the ancado dailies. I will try it out tonight, and if people are interested we can form a group to do them some time since it should be a lot faster xp than the 1 hour of sailing back from port ratt

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I wanted to do some writing on the poorly understood modifier "processing efficiency" (I'm sure gwrtheyrn can add a ton to this)

When you process for example iron ore into an iron shard you melt 5 ores into 1 shard. At "Artisan processing" this becomes an average of 2,5 shards per ore. (you should aim to get processing to artisan as soon as you can)

Only your processing skill affects how large your yield is when processing and it's practically a hard cap at a yield of 2,5 at Artisan.

What processing efficiency does is reduce the failure rate when you process items. Failing to process something doesn't mean you lose the raw material. You just have to try again. In the long run processing efficiency makes it so you can process faster.

When you process stuff over night your bottleneck is your inventory space. There's a pearl shop outfit that lets you process from the bank into your inventory which increases how much you can process in a single go by a lot

At the same time I used +3 crafting clothes.

I did a very small test to see how much of a difference it actually made.

Pearl clothes
+3 crafting clothes
Inventory weight limit: 1150

1 hour of smelting iron ore.

1755 ore smelted
860 shards as yield
7 ingots (bonus proc)
260 LT of inventory space taken up per hour of smelting

This means that the inventory would be full after about 4,5 hours with a yield of 3870 iron shards, 7897 ores smelted.

I then did the test again with a set that boosts inventory weight.

Increasing the weight limit by 340 LT but also reducing the processing efficiency since I'm wearing that instead of the crafting outfit.

Pearl clothes
Weight set
Inventory weight limit: 1490

1 hour of smelting iron ore with the weight set.
1435 ore
728 shards
7 ingots
221 LT

The inventory would be full after about 6,7 hours, 4877 iron shards, 9416 ores smelted

This shows that for AFK processing over longer periods it's a lot more efficient to use a weight bonus set instead of crafting clothes. However since the crafting clothes make you process faster you need to find the breakpoint where weight clothes would be more efficient.

The crafting set can process 7894 ores in 4,5 hours while it would take the weight set 5,5 hours to melt the same amount of ores. Which means that if in my case I AFK process for more than 5,5 hours then the weight clothes are better. The difference changes depending on your max inventory weight.

If you have a way to unload your inventory once every 4,5 hours then the crafting set would again be better

Again the numbers here are just with my specific weight limit and changes from player to player

J
Jun 10, 2001

You can score an extra 100 LT weight limit from a 5 piece set bonus by buying the root treant's rings, earrings, and amulet from Grandus in calpheon. Each piece costs a few hundred thousand silver, and you can use them alongside whichever gearset you're processing with.

When you've got more money than you know what to do with you can add manos golden coral belt to the mix for even more weight limit.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I did some wood math with the weight set

1 hour

2130 maple logs
1055 plank
55 plywood
555 LT

555 LT an hour is quite a lot. I had hopes to chop wood at night but it doesn't seem possible to do for more than 3 hours AFK.

I then chopped all the planks into plywood which took another 15 minutes. Resulting in a total of 295 plywood.

The original value of 2130 logs is 1.382.370 silver. Once converted into plywood the value became 3.277.745 silver.

3277745-1382370= 1.895.375 silver profit for 75 minutes of chopping maple logs into plywood or 1.5 million silver an hour (before market taxes)

The profit would be higher with crafting clothes and other bonuses to processing efficiency.

if you can poke your character every 2 hours then chopping wood is a pretty decent AFK income. Better than fishing.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Re: Processing poo poo

Katt posted:

I wanted to do some writing on the poorly understood modifier "processing efficiency" (I'm sure gwrtheyrn can add a ton to this)

When you process for example iron ore into an iron shard you melt 5 ores into 1 shard. At "Artisan processing" this becomes an average of 2,5 shards per ore. (you should aim to get processing to artisan as soon as you can)

Only your processing skill affects how large your yield is when processing and it's practically a hard cap at a yield of 2,5 at Artisan.
If I remember correctly it is professional 5 for wood and artisan 1 for metals. It's simpler to just get to artisan 1 before processing woods or metals to t3, and it doesn't take very long if you do cloth. Make sure you have a use for the cloth though because cloth usually doesn't sell. Going past artisan 1 has almost no effect on the amount you proc--it does in that it very minorly increase the bonus procs (eg timber->plywood), but you will still be making 1-4 planks per process just like everyone else. Note that there are some things that do scale on procs all the way to guru, but none of the money making timbers/ores do. Fun fact: palm and elder plywood apparently have reverse scaling, so if you plan on making anything with those, I guess process them on a new character if you want to save a little money. They're pretty worthless though.

Katt posted:

When you process stuff over night your bottleneck is your inventory space. There's a pearl shop outfit that lets you process from the bank into your inventory which increases how much you can process in a single go by a lot
Weight

Katt posted:

I then did the test again with a set that boosts inventory weight.

Increasing the weight limit by 340 LT but also reducing the processing efficiency since I'm wearing that instead of the crafting outfit.
Note that this set is somewhere between +3 and +4 traders for weight bonus. I just use +3 traders so I don't have to clutter my inventory quite as much. You can also add the calpheon tree set for +100LT and an asula belt for another +20-60LT depending on your current belt. You may as well eat couscous if you're processing regardless of your armor setup since it's really cheap.

Katt posted:

3277745-1382370= 1.895.375 silver profit for 75 minutes of chopping maple logs into plywood or 1.5 million silver an hour (before market taxes)

The profit would be higher with crafting clothes and other bonuses to processing efficiency.

if you can poke your character every 2 hours then chopping wood is a pretty decent AFK income. Better than fishing.

General rule of thumb, assuming you have equally good setups for fishing and cooking (e.g. pearl items, inventory, weight, +5 fishing, etc), processing wood is better than fishing if you have either Artisan 2 trading or a value pack active, and processing metal is only better if you have artisan 2+ trading. Fishing income these days is pretty close to 1mil/hr.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

That's all really cool info.

I read somewhere that some of the new kama high grade materials only get the 2.5 proc after guru processing.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Look at you scrubs not knowing about money lizard skins.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Look at you scrubs not knowing about money lizard skins.

I learned to always skin my lizards because one day you're going to need to make butcher knives and that stuff is not on the market.

I ran the math on the profit of crafting beer and with my cooking speed of 1.5 the profit was like 4 million an hour which doesn't feel too awesome but okay I guess.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I would just skin lizards non stop and process their hides only once since I lost money if I processed again.

I hated it since it took so much time despite the good profits.

I did manage to hit 58 skinning lizards though.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I would just skin lizards non stop and process their hides only once since I lost money if I processed again.

No mercy :black101:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Katt posted:

I ran the math on the profit of crafting beer and with my cooking speed of 1.5 the profit was like 4 million an hour which doesn't feel too awesome but okay I guess.

That's not really that bad. I generally set my cooking profits to 0 since I primarily cook for byproducts and also fruitlessly chasing badges. Example: I assume cooking meat stew makes 0 silver so I can attribute more profit to gathering the meat and making the flour which are the real bottlenecks and which are also severely underpriced on the market.

Similarly, skinning lizards is the real bottleneck here, so most of the profit from processing could be attributed to the hides being hideously undervalued.

Huskers
May 9, 2009
For me, if I'm afk
1-2 hrs: Wood with processing gear
2-3: Wood with wt gear
4-6: Metal with processing
6-7: Metal with weight or flour, cloth with processing
8+ : Fish
semi-afk or ~15-30mins: cook

:shrug: works well enough for me

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I ran the math on processing copper ore and it came to 150k silver an hour. I didn't bother running the math on higher ores like iron or zinc.

Do any ores come close to fishing income wise? Not counting making crates that is.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Katt posted:

I ran the math on processing copper ore and it came to 150k silver an hour. I didn't bother running the math on higher ores like iron or zinc.

Do any ores come close to fishing income wise? Not counting making crates that is.

Brass, Bronze, Steel ingots all sell fine (I don't sell steel, use it for tools etc), but I do a set of bronze and brass every week or two when I have 20k of zinc and tin stored up. I run the copper 2 nights, zinc and tin the following. Or iron 2 nights and steel the next, keeping a stack of iron shards for utensils. Metal is generally a little under ~1mil / hr

Processing profit is all in T1 > T3 mats with max procs.

Biohack's sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G2Eq7CzrI_LFGTyVXZVTmLggrE1BomfuVueLtedrPF4/edit#gid=0

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Huskers posted:

Brass, Bronze, Steel ingots all sell fine (I don't sell steel, use it for tools etc), but I do a set of bronze and brass every week or two when I have 20k of zinc and tin stored up. I run the copper 2 nights, zinc and tin the following. Or iron 2 nights and steel the next, keeping a stack of iron shards for utensils. Metal is generally a little under ~1mil / hr

Processing profit is all in T1 > T3 mats with max procs.

Biohack's sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G2Eq7CzrI_LFGTyVXZVTmLggrE1BomfuVueLtedrPF4/edit#gid=0

Is the demand good on all this stuff? The market has something like 50k of each at min price.

gwrtheyrn posted:

That's not really that bad. I generally set my cooking profits to 0 since I primarily cook for byproducts and also fruitlessly chasing badges. Example: I assume cooking meat stew makes 0 silver so I can attribute more profit to gathering the meat and making the flour which are the real bottlenecks and which are also severely underpriced on the market.

I guess it depends how much game access you have during the day. Cooking is something that needs a poke every 20 minutes and so I can only do it after work while playing the game. So I'd be cooking instead of out fighting mobs or other active things.

But as something in the background while I play FO4 cooking is excellent.

Katt fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 6, 2018

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

There is no reason to list any metals below the prices on that sheet. If the price is min priced on that sheet, then you look how long the oldest listing is to see about how long it takes to sell. High level traders can basically buy an infinite quantity of any processed crate material as long as the price is right.

Cedar, birch, and white cedar used to be always min priced but it seems that's no longer the case

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I just list poo poo at whatever it auto fills the price in with

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What the gently caress are prognyl silver bars? My inventory space! :argh:

Oh, they have 0 weight. That's nice, I guess. Makes no drat sense, but sure.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

got my first tet at 62fs :woop:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Futaba Anzu posted:

got my first tet at 62fs :woop:

Join the Pen club you scrub :black101:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Katt posted:

Join the Pen club you scrub :black101:

i still have asula pieces too lol

I'd guess I've put about 3 1/2 months into this game at this point so progress shot.

FuriousOni
Mar 25, 2007

This isn't really me.
So I'm trying this out again and keep disconnecting. Sometimes I'm lucky and just lag and hopefully not die.

Is this an Olvia server thing or will it be like this on all servers?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Yoshoken1 posted:

So I'm trying this out again and keep disconnecting. Sometimes I'm lucky and just lag and hopefully not die.

Is this an Olvia server thing or will it be like this on all servers?

There's no noted server instability at the moment.

There was some in the past few weeks though.

Loops
Oct 20, 2011

I'm typically a lifeskiller and level 58 right now, but lately I've kind of been wanting to hit level 60 since lots of people seem to be saying it's easy nowadays. My gear is rather mediocre (189ap/251dp, witch), any advice on how and where to do the thing where I level pretty fast or would I need better stats for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Loops posted:

I'm typically a lifeskiller and level 58 right now, but lately I've kind of been wanting to hit level 60 since lots of people seem to be saying it's easy nowadays. My gear is rather mediocre (189ap/251dp, witch), any advice on how and where to do the thing where I level pretty fast or would I need better stats for that?

Anywhere in valencia, you'll be fine after the changes. Fogans/Nagas are easiest, but most crowded, depending on when you play. Bashim, Cadry, Crescents are options--pros and cons to each spot. The marni stones and desert changes/nerf made exp quite easy out there.

Pirates, sausan, etc are still viable as well. The best spot probably depends on your pet/maid/wt situation. Lots of options these days.

Huskers fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 10, 2018