Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I do not recommend anything subtitled for young kids, it wont hold their attention very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there wolf posted:

Can anyone recommend a good anime for young kids, something with a narrative and lots of episodes? We're trying to avoid Pokemon.
How young are we talking?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Digimon and Princess Tutu. Perfect.

Thank you everyone. They can't do subs right now, but I'll keep all these in mind for future car trips.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

princess tutu goes a little dark/metafictional I wouldn't really say it's a good idea, everything past the first few eps would go over their heads. if you want something on the 'girlier' end of things, check out precure. or, well, glitter force, for the dubs. they're on netflix.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Crayon Shin-chan.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

princess tutu goes a little dark/metafictional I wouldn't really say it's a good idea, everything past the first few eps would go over their heads. if you want something on the 'girlier' end of things, check out precure. or, well, glitter force, for the dubs. they're on netflix.

Don't treat kids like they're dumb. Not being experienced in the metanarrative doesn't mean they won't understand or enjoy the drama.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That's a very good point, I enjoyed Sailor Moon a lot as a kid despite not getting a lot of the more complicated stuff at all.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Yeah, Princess Tutu is not one of the Patlabor movies. Kids love it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Hey I saw Patlabor 2 on Encore Action when I was like 8 and thought that poo poo was dope as hell

I was also a weird kid and loved dad movies

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I loved the giant robots, but was bored to tears by the dry police procedural. When I was older I appreciated both films alot more. Plus by that point, Devilman and Urotsukidoji had poisoned my humanity.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 3, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm disappointed at all of you for no-one suggesting the classic that is Samurai Pizza Cats :colbert:.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You should have your kid watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes imo

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm disappointed at all of you for no-one suggesting the classic that is Samurai Pizza Cats :colbert:.

Where do you even find that, though? I didn’t think they even released the dub outside of syndication. I found a torrent of some mediocre VHS rips a few years ago, but that was it when I went looking.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlternateNu posted:

Where do you even find that, though? I didn’t think they even released the dub outside of syndication. I found a torrent of some mediocre VHS rips a few years ago, but that was it when I went looking.

Madman Entertainment released a pair of DVD slimpacks here in Australia with all fiftytwo episodes. I assumed the US got a release as well.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

3 seconds of google
http://www.crunchyroll.com/samurai-pizza-cats

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

That makes sense. They didn't host the show until 2015.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Madman Entertainment released a pair of DVD slimpacks here in Australia with all fiftytwo episodes. I assumed the US got a release as well.

Madman only holds the distro rights in Australia and New Zealand. Discotek Media holds the rights in North America, and apparently, they released the series on bluray back in 2016.

Well, I know what my next Amazon purchase is going to be.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

There was this anime that I saw more than a decade ago on some random channel about this guy who was a manga/comic artist, about late teens, early 20s type. It was a pretty light-hearted, comedic show, and seemed pretty fun to watch, but I only saw a few episodes. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mr Interweb posted:

There was this anime that I saw more than a decade ago on some random channel about this guy who was a manga/comic artist, about late teens, early 20s type. It was a pretty light-hearted, comedic show, and seemed pretty fun to watch, but I only saw a few episodes. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Bakuman?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Checked it out, that's not it.

I know what I've said might be vague, but the other thing I can think of is that the lead guy had a redheaded girlfriend.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Checked it out, that's not it.

I know what I've said might be vague, but the other thing I can think of is that the lead guy had a redheaded girlfriend.

the comic artist and his assistants, comic party, or doujin work?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlternateNu posted:

Madman only holds the distro rights in Australia and New Zealand. Discotek Media holds the rights in North America, and apparently, they released the series on bluray back in 2016.

Well, I know what my next Amazon purchase is going to be.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure Madman Entertainment will ship stock overseas.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Davincie posted:

the comic artist and his assistants, comic party, or doujin work?

Comic Party! That's it. Thanks.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
A friend recommended Shin Sekai Yori to me really enthusiastically, but I just have not been feeling the first three episodes at all. Is it one of those shows that takes a while to get rolling and then things start to fall into place, or am I liable to keep disliking it if I currently dislike it?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
SSY is a really good show that's kind of difficult to watch imo. I never finished it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jenny Angel posted:

A friend recommended Shin Sekai Yori to me really enthusiastically, but I just have not been feeling the first three episodes at all. Is it one of those shows that takes a while to get rolling and then things start to fall into place, or am I liable to keep disliking it if I currently dislike it?

I liked it from the beginning but it's definitely a show where stuff happens later that recontextualizes everything that came before it. It has one of the best (and most gracefully understated) endings I've ever seen in an anime.

also Squealer did nothing wrong

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I liked it, then grew to hate it once I realized what had actually happened and never ended up finishing it. It definitely picks up as it goes on, but where goes might not be something you want to see.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i fell off watching it at the third episode when it was airing, and even now would probably say the story doesn't really kick into gear until episodes 4 and 5. the show is structured to give you a good cliffhanger every time so i found it smooth sailing after that, and the slow start is definitely paid off.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

I don't watch a lot of anime but my wife does. She was watching Himouto Umaru-chan in the living room and I ended up watching most of it with her and I really liked it. I haven't watched anime since DBZ was on toonami so I wanted to watch more like this one. What are other good cute/funny slice of life animes? Don't care about the subject.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

40-Degree Day posted:

I don't watch a lot of anime but my wife does. She was watching Himouto Umaru-chan in the living room and I ended up watching most of it with her and I really liked it. I haven't watched anime since DBZ was on toonami so I wanted to watch more like this one. What are other good cute/funny slice of life animes? Don't care about the subject.
You'll probably be inundated with some good suggestions in a bit, but I will say that the currently airing Yurucamp is a great example if you want something hot off the presses.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

40-Degree Day posted:

Nichijou - equal parts pastoral and frenetic. beautifully animated, heartwarming, and hilarious
Tsurezure Children - cute awkward romantic moments between various couples
Mitsuboshi Colors - cute brats terrorize a police officer
Yuru Yuri - everyone has an unrequited crush on each other
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid - i saved a wounded dragon, now she's my maid and we might be in lesbians

Slower and comfier:
Non Non Biyori - kids hanging out in beautiful rural japan
Flying Witch - witches hanging out in beautiful rural japan
Hidamari Sketch - friends in art school living in the same apartment building
Azumanga Daioh - one of the first "high school slice of life" shows and still a classic

Slice of life at work:
Shirobako - trials and tribulations of a struggling anime studio
New Game! - cute game developers making cute games

Slice of life after the apocalypse, still fun but also heavier:
Sound of the Sky - girls in a quiet military outpost finding hope a dying world
Girls' Last Tour - girls exploring and looking for meaning in a dead world

esselfortium fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 8, 2018

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

40-Degree Day posted:

esselfortium posted:

Nichijou
Non Non Biyori
Flying Witch
Hidamari Sketch
Azumanga Daioh
Shirobako

The above six show are some of my very favorites. You can't go wrong watching any of these, regardless of your tastes. I'll also recommend K-ON!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

40-Degree Day posted:

K-On!: girls start a band, proceed to dick around instead of playing music. first season is mostly just goofy jokes, second season adds a lot of quieter moments of them hanging out and dealing with the fact that high school cant last forever. its not a drama or anything but it gets a bit of substance to go with the gags.

Nichijou: pretty much nothing but gags and very smooth character animation due to simplified designs, but there's a neat sense of place to the world. a guy shows up to deliver one line in a gag in one episode and then three episodes later he shows up as another character's brother, or whatever. it really gives the feeling of a small town even through all the jokes about wrestling goats.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

https://youtu.be/cDHRQLJSA8M

Watch nichijou.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Started K-On because it's on Hulu and this poo poo rules. Thanks y'all.

EDIT: Nichijuo is next for sure

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i would throw in a recommendation for Barakamon. equal parts comedy and feel-good

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Daily Lives of High School Boys (aka Nichibros) is also a really good one to follow Nichijou with.

And if you ever want more Umaru, Gabriel Dropout is pretty much the same show, but with angels/demons

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any good detective/crime series? Preferably with an overarching plot with a larger mystery. So more Stand Alone Complex than Conan (cause it doesn't end).

(Not interested in Psycho Pass)

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rinkles posted:

Any good detective/crime series? Preferably with an overarching plot with a larger mystery. So more Stand Alone Complex than Conan (cause it doesn't end).

(Not interested in Psycho Pass)

Have you seen Monster?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Strange Quark posted:

Have you seen Monster?

Yes, but that's the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
are you interested at all in manga or just anime?