Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

WaltherFeng posted:

Thats dumb argument because IZJS version was based around single jobs and choosing one job in TZA is just like the old version. Its literally a choice between:

Do you like old school? Or you just wanna max your poo poo

Theres no version of FF7 without materia

It sounds like it’s actually literally a choice between:

Do you want to use the mechanics of the game you’re playing? Or an older version of it, that you are not playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I definitely agree about the random encounters. I’ve never really liked them in the first place, so I really appreciate the fact that enemies are visible in XII and you can avoid them. I love X but going back to that is sort of painful. Not being able to go more than 10 steps without having to go through the whole separate battle screen gets annoying real fast.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
It'd have been cool if the change TZA made was to let you change your jobs around rather than pick a second.

ImpAtom posted:

So? The IZJS is itself a revision of the game and the latest revision added a second job. You're doing the exact same thing of recommending to people they don't use a mechanic because it makes the game too easy and then try to excuse it with "Well, there was a version of the game that didn't have that mechanic." Yes, there is. It isn't the one that exists. It's also not like IZJS was a flawlessly balanced masterpiece. The second job makes an absurdly easy game easier.

Is FF12 absurdly easy? I mean measured against other FFs of course. Like the main plot progression seems pretty standard for the series but with a lot of opportunities to take on harder content as you see fit plus plenty of late game hard stuff.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

ImpAtom posted:

So? The IZJS is itself a revision of the game and the latest revision added a second job. You're doing the exact same thing of recommending to people they don't use a mechanic because it makes the game too easy

Yes because the game is completely playable that way without resorting specific strats, grinding and you arent really losing anything mechanically unlike other games mentioned here

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
it's me, I like random encounters

but even then I think Bravely Default did them better than literally every other RPG ever made by letting you completely turn them off. Or double the encounter rate. And being able to turn off XP. And letting you make an auto-battle action queue. And just the Brave/Default system in general for efficiently clearing random mobs.

oh yeah it's me, the person who can't stop gushing about Bravely

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Pssh twewy did it first :smugdog:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

No, and FF6 doesn't force you to equip Espers, FF7 doesn't force you to use Materia, FFVIII doesn't force you to use GFs or junction, FFIX doesn't force you to learn skills from equipment, FFX doesn't force you to level up at all, and FFXIII doesn't force you to use the Crystarium. That doesn't mean anyone discussing a regular playthrough of the game is going to be using that as a baseline.

My girlfriend skipped the tutorial prompt in FF8 that shows you how to junction and proceeded to beat the game with unjunctioned characters using only the attack command and limit breaks.

I'm not sure if that makes her really bad or really good at FF8. :unsmith:

Edit: "The End" may have played a pivotal role in some battles.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

My girlfriend skipped the tutorial prompt in FF8 that shows you how to junction and proceeded to beat the game with unjunctioned characters using only the attack command and limit breaks.

I am in the midst of another FF8 playthrough. Need to finish it again.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Edit: "The End" may have played a pivotal role in some battles.

Same with my friend and me when we were 12, except we read the tutorial and just didn't understand it. Good thing FF games are easy.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Imagine being such a wet blanket that you don’t want a second job in zodiac age

Your Computer posted:

it's me, I like random encounters

but even then I think Bravely Default did them better than literally every other RPG ever made by letting you completely turn them off. Or double the encounter rate. And being able to turn off XP. And letting you make an auto-battle action queue. And just the Brave/Default system in general for efficiently clearing random mobs.

oh yeah it's me, the person who can't stop gushing about Bravely

I finally got around to finishing bravely second and it was incredibly kickass. THE gamebreaking setup where you do over 60 hits with meteor rain has me really wanting a third bravely game to cut loose with.

How much do job levels affect stats in second btw? I want to do a new game + starting at level 1, but keeping jobs and job levels, but I don’t want to just be wrecking poo poo from the getgo.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Mystic Quest really was ahead of its time by having actual quality-of-life features like visible enemy encounters (not added to the main series until 11/12) and being able to restart where you were upon death (again, not added until freaking 13).

I don't really get why random encounters still exist in games besides "tradition". If you're going to have them, at least give options to manipulate it like Bravely Default. Otherwise, give me Chrono Trigger's approach where you know where every battle will trigger and what enemies you get and where you can move through old areas with minimal fuss once you know what you're doing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

Is FF12 absurdly easy? I mean measured against other FFs of course. Like the main plot progression seems pretty standard for the series but with a lot of opportunities to take on harder content as you see fit plus plenty of late game hard stuff.

In FF terms I'd say it's about midpoint. It's by no means FF8 or FF6 tier but it doesn't really ask much from you either. Even if you do Weak Mode not a lot really changes and in terms of doing "gimmick" self-imposed restriction challenges it's actually a lot less interesting than the games that surround it.

WaltherFeng posted:

Yes because the game is completely playable that way without resorting specific strats, grinding and you arent really losing anything mechanically unlike other games mentioned here

So is FF6. If anything FF6 stands out a bit better because the characters remain more unique and distinctive rather than everyone being full-on magic god. I might even recommend to someone to not use Espers in FF6. That doesn't mean it's anything but a limited self-imposed restriction.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I can't commit to a second job on most of my characters :( so I'm just waiting for one or more characters' deficiencies to become unbearable before doing it

Vaan: Shikari / Black Mage
Balthier: Samurai(?) / ?
Fran: Archer / ?
Basch: Knight / ?
Ashe: Uhlan / ?
Penelo: White Mage / Monk

I mostly went with flavor rather than any real considerations of practicality (Vaan gets the most thief-like job, Balthier is an anime self-insert so he gets mall katanas, Ashe got the Zodiac Spear on my original PS2 playthrough so I made her a front-line melee Spear user). Also around Bur-Omisace I decided to get everybody a second mist charge and the license board route I took ended up with Ashe being a 2400 HP brick shithouse and my designated tank Basch actually having the second-weakest HP of the entire squad oops

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Sapozhnik posted:

I can't commit to a second job on most of my characters :( so I'm just waiting for one or more characters' deficiencies to become unbearable before doing it

Vaan: Shikari / Black Mage
Balthier: Samurai(?) / ?
Fran: Archer / ?
Basch: Knight / ?
Ashe: Uhlan / ?
Penelo: White Mage / Monk

I mostly went with flavor rather than any real considerations of practicality (Vaan gets the most thief-like job, Balthier is an anime self-insert so he gets mall katanas, Ashe got the Zodiac Spear on my original PS2 playthrough so I made her a front-line melee Spear user). Also around Bur-Omisace I decided to get everybody a second mist charge and the license board route I took ended up with Ashe being a 2400 HP brick shithouse and my designated tank Basch actually having the second-weakest HP of the entire squad oops

White Mage/Monk is a horrible combination since monk gets most of the high-level white magic.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ROFL Octopus posted:

White Mage/Monk is a horrible combination since monk gets most of the high-level white magic.

On the other hand you're a white mage who punches people in the face, so really it's a draw.

Honestly "Do what sounds cool" will work as a strategy 99% of the time in this series.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Fun question: What's the least-optimal job selections for FF12? Given I'd have to pick twelve different jobs and not just Machinist six times, which two jobs for each character would be the worst choices to complement each other?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fran is cool as a monk because she does sweet bicycle kicks as her unarmed animation

Balthier’s pole animations are cool too but I couldn’t justify picking two monks in a row, even though it’s probably fine, monks seem pretty beefy in this game

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Knight/monk, archer/machinist, blackmage/breaker, samurai/timemage, redmage/whitemage, hunter/uhlan?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mega64 posted:

Fun question: What's the least-optimal job selections for FF12? Given I'd have to pick twelve different jobs and not just Machinist six times, which two jobs for each character would be the worst choices to complement each other?

Off the top of my head

Machinist/archer - they shall like every license and can only use ranged weapons (which are bad compared to melee weapons)
Time mage/red mage - again redundant licenses plus doesn't give red mage access to any elemental boosting weapons (I think?)
knight/uhlan - basically just put any two jobs that share a similar function together. this one means you have to choose between two strong weapon classes
black mage/bushi - this one has to choose between big magic damage or big weapon damage
monk/white mage - white mage is just always good but this is the least good probably?
hunter/breaker - this one isn't even bad but its whats left

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Try not to think in "what is my job inefficient in" and more "what would compliment this job?"

Samurai gets the ability to hit a ton later on, so supplement it with a job that has more battle lores, or a job with access to heavy armor so it gets a strength boost. Supplement black mage with more magic power, etc.

I know samurai has a bunch of magick lore and is meant to be a complimentary job to a magic class to give them a sweet weapon, but if you're a magic user you shouldn't be using your weapon anyway, especially considering MP doesn't become too big of a deal with the MP augments later on. Pair that samurai with monk or knight and go to town.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mega64 posted:

Mystic Quest really was ahead of its time by having actual quality-of-life features like visible enemy encounters (not added to the main series until 11/12) and being able to restart where you were upon death (again, not added until freaking 13).

I don't really get why random encounters still exist in games besides "tradition". If you're going to have them, at least give options to manipulate it like Bravely Default. Otherwise, give me Chrono Trigger's approach where you know where every battle will trigger and what enemies you get and where you can move through old areas with minimal fuss once you know what you're doing.

Everybody praises Chrono Trigger for that but I just played it recently and while I adore the game to pieces, "not having random battles" seems like a thing designed to be a bullet point somewhere, because man are there a ton of times where either a) you can see the enemies but they are unavoidable or b) enemies appear out of nowhere (at random one might say).

Like I get that it's still better than outright random battles but I think it deserves much more praise for not making you load into a separate battle screen and just having the battles in the environments themselves (which FF didn't do until 12 and then regressed in 13). As an aside, the effect is hilarious in 13 because the battle environments pretty much look exactly like the exploration environments and there's seemingly zero actual reason for the transition.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DrNutt posted:

a) you can see the enemies but they are unavoidable

chrono trigger has this one secret that doctors hate where most of the enemies are actually fully avoidable. you just have to be walking instead of sprinting

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Imagine being such a wet blanket that you don’t want a second job in zodiac age

I finally got around to finishing bravely second and it was incredibly kickass. THE gamebreaking setup where you do over 60 hits with meteor rain has me really wanting a third bravely game to cut loose with.

How much do job levels affect stats in second btw? I want to do a new game + starting at level 1, but keeping jobs and job levels, but I don’t want to just be wrecking poo poo from the getgo.

In Second, job levels don't affect stats.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The White Dragon posted:

chrono trigger has this one secret that doctors hate where most of the enemies are actually fully avoidable. you just have to be walking instead of sprinting

tip-toeing around wonky hitboxes in order to avoid fighting isn't a lot more fun than random battles imo, but maybe that's just me

I also don't think visible mobs are "objectively better" than random battles though. Like so many things in life, people have different preferences

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Your Computer posted:

tip-toeing around wonky hitboxes in order to avoid fighting isn't a lot more fun than random battles imo, but maybe that's just me

it's not tip-toeing around weird hitboxes, most of the hitboxes are static and cover an entire area and are triggered by moving through them while dashing

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Bongo Bill posted:

In Second, job levels don't affect stats.

Another reason Bravely Second is the best, thanks :tipshat:

Also as far as encounters go, Mother 3 feels like a really nice evolution of how Chrono Trigger handles things.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

MMF Freeway posted:

It'd have been cool if the change TZA made was to let you change your jobs around rather than pick a second.

It is, yes. Usually the "difficulty" in a fight is that the enemy has LOTS OF HP or IMMUNE TO MAGIC or some other lame-rear end gimmick that makes the fight longer, but not more interesting. And because the game is designed around the gambit system, they can't have complicated gimmicks that require you to take over, so as long as you just remember to turn off CAST SCATHE when you fight the magic immune stuff you're good.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The White Dragon posted:

:shrug: Who the hell is walking in Chrono Trigger???

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

corn in the bible posted:

It is, yes. Usually the "difficulty" in a fight is that the enemy has LOTS OF HP or IMMUNE TO MAGIC or some other lame-rear end gimmick that makes the fight longer, but not more interesting. And because the game is designed around the gambit system, they can't have complicated gimmicks that require you to take over, so as long as you just remember to turn off CAST SCATHE when you fight the magic immune stuff you're good.

On the other hand, trial 100 was one of the hardest battles I've ever fought in a game until I found out how to cheese it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

12s gambit system isnt complex enough nor designed correctly from the start to make boss fights mechanically involved which is the detriment, especially when it didnt port in other mmo concepts that games do to mix up fights.

It is extremely zone out and chill

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

corn in the bible posted:

It is, yes. Usually the "difficulty" in a fight is that the enemy has LOTS OF HP or IMMUNE TO MAGIC or some other lame-rear end gimmick that makes the fight longer, but not more interesting.

my favorite is the enemies who put up total paling and then start regenning as if you zoned because they haven't taken damage in the last 30s

Mega64
May 23, 2008

DrNutt posted:

Everybody praises Chrono Trigger for that but I just played it recently and while I adore the game to pieces, "not having random battles" seems like a thing designed to be a bullet point somewhere, because man are there a ton of times where either a) you can see the enemies but they are unavoidable or b) enemies appear out of nowhere (at random one might say).

I definitely agree with the former being an annoyance since ideally if you're revisiting an old area, at that point enemy encounters should be completely optional. Latter is an issue the first time through an area, but after that you should have an idea of where those hidden points trigger and can avoid them in future playthroughs.

ROFL Octopus posted:

Also as far as encounters go, Mother 3 feels like a really nice evolution of how Chrono Trigger handles things.

The Earthbound/Mother 3 system has its pros and cons. I do like enemies flat-out running away from you at a certain level/plot point, and how you encounter enemies adds a bit of strategy, but many are so fast you can't avoid them and you'll end up simply screen-scumming enemies repeatedly until they disappear.

This and CT's systems certainly aren't perfect by any means, but I prefer them to straight-up random encounters. Then again, they're all outclassed by BD's "Set your encounter rate" feature and FFMQ having you initiate every single encounter. A combination of those two ideas might be the best of all worlds, encounter what you want when you want.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's good when you feel like you have some influence over when the battles happen, even if it's just a small amount or an illusion.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I liked in the Mario & Luigi games where you jumped on the enemy going into the battle, it did a little bit of damage to start the fight.

Super Mario RPG also had the best "avoid enemies" method.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The new raid tier of ff14 prompted me to go back and check out the original Dancing Mad, and Jesus, they did that on the SNES? The orchestral version for 14 is great but like...the original is pretty close to sounding just as good, that’s some masterful work

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

The new raid tier of ff14 prompted me to go back and check out the original Dancing Mad, and Jesus, they did that on the SNES? The orchestral version for 14 is great but like...the original is pretty close to sounding just as good, that’s some masterful work

Dancing Mad is a masterpiece but hold on a second, are you telling me it's in FFXIV now?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Your Computer posted:

Dancing Mad is a masterpiece but hold on a second, are you telling me it's in FFXIV now?

Yerp. I’m phone posting but google it, it’s good

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
:stare:

See, now I kinda wanna give FFXIV (yet) another shot. The game hurts my eyes but it really wants me to play it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yerp. I’m phone posting but google it, it’s good

Google the Black Mages version while you're at it.

Even if you've already heard it, just listen to it again, because you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

The new raid tier is FFVI bosses. V1.0 is Phantom Train, V2.0 is Chadarnook, V3.0 is Guardian (with guest appearances from Dadaluma, Air Force, and Ultros), and V4.0 is Kefka who has his Dancing Mad remix (although you can only hear all of it in the savage version as he doesn't ascend to his god form in the regular version).

The reason they're in the game is that we are fighting Omega in the Interdimsional Rift, who is reconstructing data from stories and worlds it has been in to create a tournament of sorts, all in order to find out why the player character is able to overcome such ridiculous obstacles and add that power to itself. They're not the real versions of each character, just incredibly accurate reconstructions. The previous tier was FFV bosses, Alte Roite, Catastrophe, Halicarnassus and Exdeath/Neo Exdeath, and we have an ally in Alpha, who is a reconstructed form of the chocobo from Chocobo Mystery Dungeon.