Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jonny 290 posted:

bedtime is actually good and helped me normalize my sleep schedule a little bit.

I find that it doesn't bug me enough. Like, there's no audio notification that I can find.

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
what does bedtime do that my existing phone sleep functionality can't do?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
reminds you gently to go the f to sleep and keeps track of sleep/wake (it assumes you go to bed on time, but will mark your 'end of sleep' as when you start fuckin with your phone in the AM)

and then it can graph trends and lay it out nicely for you

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

as always, the onion is on the loving case

https://www.theonion.com/elon-musk-offering-1-2-billion-in-grants-to-any-projec-1822808899

gently caress it, it's short enough to quote

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

reminds you gently to go the f to sleep and keeps track of sleep/wake (it assumes you go to bed on time, but will mark your 'end of sleep' as when you start fuckin with your phone in the AM)

and then it can graph trends and lay it out nicely for you

so this is an app for bizarro-people who need an alarm to make them sleep, go to sleep at exactly the same time every day, and can't control the moment they wake up very well

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i mean thats a pretty judgey way to word it but yes, it is for people that have problems self-regulating sleep. if you dont need it dont use it i guess?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

sometimes tech can be used as tools to help u do something u have trouble doing on your own. eventually if you repeat the desired action enough you can do it on your own without the tool hth

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

i mean thats a pretty judgey way to word it but yes, it is for people that have problems self-regulating sleep. if you dont need it dont use it i guess?

i'm not saying it to be judgey i'm saying it's weird that you're apparently from a backwards dimension where people wake up in the morning and then proceed to sleep backwards in time until an alarm goes off to put them to sleep

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
idk man it sounds like something smartwatch/fitnesswatch/etc things are much better for cuz they can also detect when you were loving around with other stuff thats not specifically your phone

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ate all the Oreos posted:

i'm not saying it to be judgey i'm saying it's weird that you're apparently from a backwards dimension where people wake up in the morning and then proceed to sleep backwards in time until an alarm goes off to put them to sleep

what?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/961683087762513920

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the app has an alarm to tell you to sleep, then expects you to wake up at an arbitrary, uncontrolled time. it is funny because this is backwards from how it normally is. i am making a funny joke. the funniest jokes always require three posts to explain them you see

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the curious case of benjamin snooze button

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fishmech posted:

idk man it sounds like something smartwatch/fitnesswatch/etc things are much better for cuz they can also detect when you were loving around with other stuff thats not specifically your phone

yeah i believe if you have a watch or fitness band Bedtime uses its accelerometer to keep track of when you are actually asleep. i know 3rd party ones do it for sure

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

this sounds like bullshit

https://nces.ed.gov/pubs93/93275.pdf

data's from 2002, so it's likely that the numbers are a bit different now

but lol if you think americans have, as a whole, gotten smarter and better-read since 9/11

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

lancemantis posted:

also i just noticed that the chart says "building rockets from scratch"

you know, from scratch meaning first trying to buy russian rockets and then when that fell apart, grabbing a bunch of experienced aerospace personnel in a timeline where NASA has been cut to ribbons

yes, the latter falls well within the accepted meaning of "from scratch", unless you are under the impression that people making a cake from scratch are required to first rediscover the chemistry of baking powder and how mixing flour with water forms glutenous strands

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rjmccall posted:

yes, the latter falls well within the accepted meaning of "from scratch", unless you are under the impression that people making a cake from scratch are required to first rediscover the chemistry of baking powder and how mixing flour with water forms glutenous strands

if i remember correctly it requires you to first create the universe

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
re bedtime apps: they just seem superfluous, as in you could probably accomplish much the same thing by saying "i'm going to bed at 11pm, so that i get about 8 hours sleep", and then going to bed at 11pm.

of course that lacks the wizbang appeal of computerized graphs showing you how effectively you're accomplishing going to sleep at a time you've determined

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I really don't see the big deal as it's already completely normal to have electronic reminders for things like "go to this appointment" or "your food is done cooking" or whatever. why not "you should go to bed now"

especially if you know you're someone who frequently loses track of time while their attention is held by whatever you do to veg out at the end of the day

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

a mommy handholdy feature called 'bedtime' is already built into ios

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

infernal machines posted:

re bedtime apps: they just seem superfluous, as in you could probably accomplish much the same thing by saying "i'm going to bed at 11pm, so that i get about 8 hours sleep", and then going to bed at 11pm.

of course that lacks the wizbang appeal of computerized graphs showing you how effectively you're accomplishing going to sleep at a time you've determined

idk it seems to have found its market quite well among "computer touchers who smoke weed literally all the time"

makes business sense to me. their next one should be some kinda extra-loud morning alarm for alcoholics maybe w/ a TENS patch to zap you awake and a built-in BAC monitor

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i need an app to tell me when to eat/sleep/drink water/use the potty because i am a manchild

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

rjmccall posted:

i made this cake from scratch by hiring a chef to make me a cake

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
more like i'm disrupting cake baking from scratch by conning the federal government bakelab administration into subcontracting me

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shaggar posted:

this sounds like bullshit

you have to remember theres a lotta loving moronic olds who barely passed middle school at all, and even then it was more like halfassing elementary school would be today

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

not sure if this is still true but I know when I was in college there was research showing that children of immigrants generally have vastly better command of english than children of people born in the us

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

at work i get a lot of written statements from olds and many of them have no idea how to spell

(or vote) :unsmigghh:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/961701279318736896

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

https://nces.ed.gov/pubs93/93275.pdf

data's from 2002, so it's likely that the numbers are a bit different now

but lol if you think americans have, as a whole, gotten smarter and better-read since 9/11

datas from 1992. republish date is 2002.

its probably still mostly viable but worth redoing

Shaggar fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 9, 2018

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

the best part of sarah jeong's coverage (well except for the awesome informed commentary) is the idiots mansplaining poo poo to her

one guy tweeted a link at her in reply to a comment she made - she'd written the loving article he linked. knowledgeable women loving break idiot's brains, it's amazing.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that's also a theme in the first altered carbon book that they tried to embellish upon in the new show

in the Netflix show Bancroft looks somewhat like Ol’ Musky

also the thing for blonde women…

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

more like i'm disrupting cake baking from scratch by conning the federal government bakelab administration into subcontracting me

yeah musk's "co-founders" for SpaceX are people that were used to navigating being space contractors and had done contracted work for R&D engine design programs for NASA that of course never got fully funded/implemented and then built a company off of them

like he's basically the guy with the money and marketing of the trio, yet still gets all the credit (probably because he controls marketing)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

it is for people that have problems self-regulating sleep. if you dont need it dont use it i guess?

someone needs to tell TT about this. he stays up too late on work nights doing wow raids or some poo poo.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

qirex posted:

not sure if this is still true but I know when I was in college there was research showing that children of immigrants generally have vastly better command of english than children of people born in the us

most immigrants to the us are relatively well off/well educated because of how the rules work on getting into the country legally, or at least semi-legally. even if you're doing it straight up illegally you have to be fairly smart to get in and stay in

meanwhile some shithead trumpist has had his whole family on some field in ohio for 200 years because grandpa got run out of saxony for stealing pigs or whatever.

Shaggar posted:

datas from 1992. republish date is 2002.

its probably still mostly viable but worth redoing

oh yeah for 1992 there's even more of a factor in there. before like 1960 just straight up the majority of the population of college age had not finished high school successfully and if you go back a few decades from that a majority don't even enter high school.

and tons of people coming of age in those times were still

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they made it a point to brag at her funeral about how my grandma dropped out in 8th grade to have babies

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

haveblue posted:

the curious case of benjamin snooze button

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

oh poo poo, companies employ people to do labor, let me go update the world's economic models, nobody had any idea

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this is also still making cakes from scratch

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

FrozenVent posted:

the best part of sarah jeong's coverage (well except for the awesome informed commentary) is the idiots mansplaining poo poo to her

one guy tweeted a link at her in reply to a comment she made - she'd written the loving article he linked. knowledgeable women loving break idiot's brains, it's amazing.

It happened again

https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/961731739608477696

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
My mom attended a 1 room schoolhouse until maybe high school or so

This would have been in the late 60s/early 70s

US development has been.....uneven