Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If your oven has a grill function, you can sear in there. Dry the meat well and cool it down a bit (so it doesn't overcook). Start with a cold oven, set grill to full tilt. If the meat is lean, coat with a little bit of oil, place it as high as practical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Big City Drinkin posted:

I have one of those and use it as well as I possibly can. I don't think it's the splatter per se but more the aerosolized matter that floats around and settles all over everything. It's likely a ventilation problem at its core, but not one I can do much about.

I've seared with olive oil and olive oil + butter, but never just butter. I might give that a shot.

Can a torch on its own work well for searing?

This may be a long shot but I assume your vent hood simply releases the air to the kitchen not to the outside? If so check whether there is actually a filter in there. If not buy a filter inlay, it's cheap.
The tennant before me apparently did not realize the filter was missing because he never cooked. Don't ask me how I found out.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Big City Drinkin posted:

I've been cooking with my Joule for about a week now and generally love the method and the results. However, this is really the first time I've "seared" things, and even after one cook my entire kitchen (cabinets, floors, microwave, stemware, etc.) is coated in a layer of grease that's really hard to clean. I have a vent hood with the fan on high and open the windows before I sear. I only put about a tablespoon of oil in the pan/skillet.

This is really bumming me out and pretty much makes it not worth it for me. Are there any alternative methods for finishing meat that won't make a mess, even if it won't taste as good? I don't/can't have a barbecue so that's not an option.

The first few times I seared indoors I cranked my electric coil stove up to high, since I'd always heard you were supposed to sear things as hot as possible. I didn't really consider that the smoke point of my oil was less than 400f and the pan was probably hitting 650f+. Recently I've started dropping the stove down to 50-60% and using an IR thermometer to figure out when it was roughly at the smoke point of my oil (I've been using ghee lately, which is 480f). This cuts down on smoke a fair amount.

Oh, I also figured out that the duct that pulls air into the vent was detached and just laying under the oven. Fixing that improved its suction significantly and the drat thing is now serviceable.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Also to that point, neither olive oil nor butter are all that great for searing, as they both have pretty low smoke points. Using a high temp oil like peanut or rapeseed oil may lessen the amount of smoke you create and by extension the mess left in your kitchen.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ghee.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Okay but how do you make sous vide ghee?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Ultimate Mango posted:

Okay but how do you make sous vide ghee?

20 min at 55 C then a slow simmer in your favourite non-stick pot of course.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mikey Purp posted:

Also to that point, neither olive oil nor butter are all that great for searing, as they both have pretty low smoke points. Using a high temp oil like peanut or rapeseed oil may lessen the amount of smoke you create and by extension the mess left in your kitchen.

Refined olive oil isn't terrible on that front, but yeah most people only use extra virgin. I got some safflower oil for searing. Had to get two bottles though since the first one turned out to be unrefined.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Got people coming over on Friday for lengua. I'm doing two tongues, and I'm thinking of 55 degrees for 48 hours. Thoughts?

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 6, 2018

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Hopper posted:

This may be a long shot but I assume your vent hood simply releases the air to the kitchen not to the outside? If so check whether there is actually a filter in there. If not buy a filter inlay, it's cheap.
The tennant before me apparently did not realize the filter was missing because he never cooked. Don't ask me how I found out.

This was my thought as well. If the vent hood just recirculates to the kitchen and not outside (like in many apartments) you're just pissing oil all over the place, which would explain the problem.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 7, 2018

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
Yes, my vent hood is the lovely apartment kind, but it does have a filter that seems clean. Anyway, I just picked up some safflower oil which has a crazy high smoke point, so we'll see it that helps. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I use canola and ghee, and it's still pretty bad. I tried a splatter screen, but a lot of oil got through and a lot of water didn't, which was super frustrating.

I also have a small (NYC) apartment kitchen with an absolutely useless recirculating vent hood. Luckily, my stove is right near a window, so I put a bigass window fan in it. I'm also using the Frywall. It has some obvious downsides, like it's more difficult accessing the pan and you need to scrub it, but it definitely works better than a splatter screen (admittedly a low bar) and it stores small.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

kirtar posted:

Refined olive oil isn't terrible on that front, but yeah most people only use extra virgin. I got some safflower oil for searing. Had to get two bottles though since the first one turned out to be unrefined.

Refine it yourself. Make a sous vide refractory tower.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I too have smoking problem and have resorted to lower temps. You might get a slightly thicker cooked edge, but I think it's fine. Just let the steak cool a bit after debagging, and you won't be cooking the centre as much as reheating. Browned butter, reasonable temps, 1-2 minutes on each side as required.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Got people coming over on Friday for lengua. I'm doing two tongues, and I'm thinking of 55 degrees for 48 hours. Thoughts?

The time I tried it I did 170F for 24h and it was tender but held up as cubes when I sliced and crisped it.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
So the safflower oil ended up smoking like crazy, which was surprising given its high smoke point and the fact that it was only on a frying pan at medium-high heat (was doing a chicken breast). But it was gross and I hate the lingering smell of a sear-smoky apartment. I think I'm going to have to try lower temps as a poster above suggests.

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm also using the Frywall. It has some obvious downsides, like it's more difficult accessing the pan and you need to scrub it, but it definitely works better than a splatter screen (admittedly a low bar) and it stores small.

I've never heard of this and lol'd tbh because it's so silly looking. Like a dog cone thing for your frying pan. But it looks unwieldily to clean and I wonder if just scrubbing the stove isn't easier. Splatter's gonna splatter.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Big City Drinkin posted:

So the safflower oil ended up smoking like crazy, which was surprising given its high smoke point and the fact that it was only on a frying pan at medium-high heat (was doing a chicken breast). But it was gross and I hate the lingering smell of a sear-smoky apartment. I think I'm going to have to try lower temps as a poster above suggests.

I've never heard of this and lol'd tbh because it's so silly looking. Like a dog cone thing for your frying pan. But it looks unwieldily to clean and I wonder if just scrubbing the stove isn't easier. Splatter's gonna splatter.

Did you make sure it was refined safflower oil? The unrefined stuff has a lower smoke point than extra virgin olive oil and isn't that much different in color.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Ymmv but I'd rather scrub the cone than scrub the stove, wall, and floor every time. It's still definitely a hassle; I think when you really come out ahead is if you have a dishwasher you can just throw it in. Someday :sigh:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If you shallow fry in a flat bottom wok, it has a fry wall built-in and you won't have to wash it! :classiclol:

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

kirtar posted:

Did you make sure it was refined safflower oil? The unrefined stuff has a lower smoke point than extra virgin olive oil and isn't that much different in color.

I don't know, actually. The label doesn't clearly indicate. It says it's "enriched" and "expeller pressed" if that's relevant. Its color was much lighter than EVOO - almost looked like water in the pan.

Anne Whateley posted:

Ymmv but I'd rather scrub the cone than scrub the stove, wall, and floor every time. It's still definitely a hassle; I think when you really come out ahead is if you have a dishwasher you can just throw it in. Someday :sigh:

Fair enough. I wasn't dissing it - i'd gladly scrub a cone every night of it rids me of this oil slick apartment.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

the yeti posted:

The time I tried it I did 170F for 24h and it was tender but held up as cubes when I sliced and crisped it.

Thanks. I put it in last night at 170, so it will be about 46 hours when I pull it out tomorrow. Tender.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
I feel like if you're doing that much clean up constantly, you're using way too much oil.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
For anyone that needs a vacuum sealer, Costco has $50 off their normally $150 food saver right now.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Might as well fry in a cast iron Dutch oven, then you have a fry-wall integrated as well. I do this with leg of lamb or other roasts that arcade in a Dutch oven and if you add a splatter guard on top there is almost no splatter except when you turn the meat.

Also what is safflower? Is it better than canola? That's my go-to.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Big City Drinkin posted:

I don't know, actually. The label doesn't clearly indicate. It says it's "enriched" and "expeller pressed" if that's relevant. Its color was much lighter than EVOO - almost looked like water in the pan.

Given what you report, I'd go with "not refined." Look for bottles that explicitly say refined or high heat.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Big City Drinkin posted:

I probably should have been more clear. The color of the unrefined was not much different from refined simply because both are pretty low saturation with regard to color.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Given what you report, I'd go with "not refined." Look for bottles that explicitly say refined or high heat.

Yeah. Plus if it's this stuff, it's definitely not, since that's what I got the first time. The smoke point on the one I linked is under that of extra-virgin olive oil.

Hopper posted:

Might as well fry in a cast iron Dutch oven, then you have a fry-wall integrated as well. I do this with leg of lamb or other roasts that arcade in a Dutch oven and if you add a splatter guard on top there is almost no splatter except when you turn the meat.

Also what is safflower? Is it better than canola? That's my go-to.
Refined safflower oil has a smoke point around 500-510 F compared to ~400 F for canola, so generally yes.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 9, 2018

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

kirtar posted:

Plus if it's this stuff, it's definitely not, since that's what I got the first time. The smoke point on the one I linked is under that of extra-virgin olive oil.

That's exactly what I bought. Lesson learned!

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

Costco sells big bottles of refined avocado oil and I fine that works quite well for high temp searing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Really perfected this chuck roast recipe! 48 hours 131 with a drop of Worcestershire, salt, pepper, and chicago steak seasoning blend. Sautéing the onions in the bag juice really makes the whole thing. If you're not making a literal steak sauce reduction you're missing out! Served with steamed veggies (carrots and cabbage tonight) to balance out the intense beef flavors. Insanely good meal for 20-25 minutes active cook time.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
That looks proper as gently caress.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone have a good corned beef recipe? I normally do it in the slow cooker with a can of beer, can I add some beer to the bag or what?

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone have a good corned beef recipe? I normally do it in the slow cooker with a can of beer, can I add some beer to the bag or what?

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/how-to-make-corned-beef-st-patricks-day-simmering-brisket-meat-the-food-lab.html

At that temperature, you are going to have some evaporation if you use an open bag (clipped to the side of the container like the chefsteps guys do), but if you vacuum seal, be very sparing in how much beer you add ... as in tablespoons ... as your corned beef will be flavoring the beer just as much as the beer is flavoring the corned beef. Don't give it a big volume of liquid to dilute the flavor of the meat and corning spices and salts.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Thanks, gonna give it a go this weekend.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

Thanks, gonna give it a go this weekend.

Sous vide corned beef is probably the best thing I've ever made sous vide, a day or two after st Patrick's day I'll load the freezer with 89c per pound corned beef when it goes on sale.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
So to deal with my splatter/grease/smoke problem, I just plunked down the cash to get a torch + Searzall. It's kind of a pain in the rear end to use, but it makes a nice sear with literally zero mess. I'm happy.

For those of you in small apartments with lovely vent hoods and smoke problems, I'd absolutely recommend. The only downside is that for steaks I liked to sear with aromatics like a sprig of rosemary or two and a crushed garlic clove. Not sure how to get that effect with the torch.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Plinkey posted:

Sous vide corned beef is probably the best thing I've ever made sous vide, a day or two after st Patrick's day I'll load the freezer with 89c per pound corned beef when it goes on sale.

What time and temp did you go with? From that article I was going to try the 180/10 hour cook as a basis.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Big City Drinkin posted:

So to deal with my splatter/grease/smoke problem, I just plunked down the cash to get a torch + Searzall. It's kind of a pain in the rear end to use, but it makes a nice sear with literally zero mess. I'm happy.

For those of you in small apartments with lovely vent hoods and smoke problems, I'd absolutely recommend. The only downside is that for steaks I liked to sear with aromatics like a sprig of rosemary or two and a crushed garlic clove. Not sure how to get that effect with the torch.

Infuse butter with rosemary and garlic, spoon onto steak.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Infuse butter with rosemary and garlic, spoon onto steak.

Do you mean that I should do this before the torch sear or after?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

What time and temp did you go with? From that article I was going to try the 180/10 hour cook as a basis.

It's been a while, but i want to say like 160ish for 24 if you want to eat it with cabage and carrots and all. 180ish for 12 for slicing for sandwiches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Big City Drinkin posted:

Do you mean that I should do this before the torch sear or after?

After