Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I wish PSN had a gifting system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Morby posted:

Me too, friend. Me too.

Amazon digital codes work in a pinch.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Me too, friend. Me too.

Amazon digital codes work in a pinch.

For some reason Yakuza 0 doesn’t have a digital code on Amazon unless I am stupid and missing it. I wanted to grab it for a friend.

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
Holy poo poo Dynasty Warriors 9 looks like loving dogshit

I mean it's a DW game, but I'm honestly impressed how bad it looks

and it runs like 15 fps on slim lol

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
There’s still no solid release date for Ace Combat 7, huh?

So, I still haven’t picked up the Season Pass for FFXV. It looks like I should wait til 3/8 and just get the Royal Edition upgrade, right? I heard it contains all the DLC that the season pass does.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Also remember Kiwami 2 didn't come out in Japan until December 7th and the game is huge compared to Kiwami 1 in just about every way. A solid year or so between the Japanese release and it even getting announced for the US would be very normal for the recent series' recent installments. Kiwami 1 reaching the US so fast is one of a small number of exceptions rather than the rule.
If anyone's interested, the Yakuza localizers are using the Sega Twitch channel to stream the game every now and then while talking about what goes into their work.

singateco posted:

I'm legit confused as to why they made it an open world game. Broader appeal?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I theory it bridges the gap between RotTK grand strategy games and the DW actiony stuff, in practice ehhhhhhh

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

HGH posted:

If anyone's interested, the Yakuza localizers are using the Sega Twitch channel to stream the game every now and then while talking about what goes into their work.

I'm legit confused as to why they made it an open world game. Broader appeal?

Sakurazuka posted:

I theory it bridges the gap between RotTK grand strategy games and the DW actiony stuff, in practice ehhhhhhh

I mean it will be worth it if they're gearing up for a grand strategy game where you get to then also fight the battles Dynasty Warriors style and is actually good that would rule. They could bring back one of the ones they haven't touched in a while for it like Super Genghis Khan or something.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Neo Rasa posted:

I mean it will be worth it if they're gearing up for a grand strategy game where you get to then also fight the battles Dynasty Warriors style and is actually good that would rule. They could bring back one of the ones they haven't touched in a while for it like Super Genghis Khan or something.

Have you played Mount and Blade?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, it's the logical conclusion to make after Dynasty Warriors Empires and RoTK. They wanted to do something bigger and more expansive than JUST another Dynasty Warriors game and it's a good direction to take.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

singateco posted:

Yeah I sure haven’t seen anything flattering about it. Musou Stars wasn’t any fun either and I’m thinking whatever magic Omega Force used to have that overcame the performance and gameplay and graphics deficiencies their games have always had is gone.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly I'm fine with the open world but I'm not buying it until I find out just how poorly it runs on a non-Pro because reports seem to be 'very' at the moment

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I’m sure not fine with what looks like an empty and pointless open world. This isn’t the 90s anymore.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

But enough about MGS V

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

But enough about MGS V

:dukedoge:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Eh, the more I play Monster Hunter, the more I'm becoming disenchanted with it. I tried playing with a couple different weapons to rule out problems with a specific weapon -- and I just don't think it's that fun to play. The extremely long animation times and the delay from switching from using weapons to using items just feels really bad, and the fights aren't really satisfying. They're just dumping damage into sponges until they suddenly die -- it doesn't feel like I'm learning or adapting or accomplishing anything like I do with, say, Souls bosses.

Like, I've also been targeting weak points to break off parts, using traps and bombs, and eh, they don't actually feel like I've accomplished something cool, the numbers are just bigger for a moment or two. Grouping up doesn't actually make the fights more interesting, they just make them shorter. Also the loot isn't particularly captivating. If there weren't palicoes and I wasn't playing it with friends I would be more likely to drop this game.

Basically it's like Borderlands -- there's the vaguest whiff of gameplay which makes it good to just mindlessly jump in to shoot the poo poo with friends, but not because there's actually strong gameplay there

Use Sword and Shield. It animates fast, is agile, and you can use items while your weapon is out. :)

Start paying attention to the synergy of skills provided by armor sets, which can greatly boost your abilities and power.

Roll with homies, do arena quests, always have 6 bounties queued, upgrade your armor, always trap instead of kill, create item/weapon loadouts for quick re-upping between missions.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

It sounds like the guy just doesn't like the game, which is fine. If you don't like actually fighting the monsters, the rest of the game is going to seem bad. I have 4 digit hours in the series dating back to the PS2 release, and I am happy that World seems to have captured some new fans, but it is not a series for everyone.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Honestly I'm fine with the open world but I'm not buying it until I find out just how poorly it runs on a non-Pro because reports seem to be 'very' at the moment

I don't mind the open world approach either, I just don't think the devs are Koei can handle something of this magnitude and make it good, at least not on their first try.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

HGH posted:

I don't mind the open world approach either, I just don't think the devs are Koei can handle something of this magnitude and make it good, at least not on their first try.
Toukiden was kind of open worldy and while it wasn't very interactive and didn't influence monster fights very much it was at least visually interesting.

edit: but seriously Omega Force have been making almost the same game 1-2 times a year for like 20 years now and they still can't do it well technically and even the smallest variation in what they are doing often causes a complete disaster. What is even with those guys?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 8, 2018

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

HGH posted:

Oh yeah, totally. This is another total teardown ala Dynasty Warriors 6 where they're re-doing everything from scratch but on an even grander scale. It's probably going to be a couple games before that open world really means anything but from streams and other demonstrations I've watched it looks like they got the new combat down pat and that's what's really important.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Morby posted:

that's something you'd think they'd prioritize adding since it's just another reason to spend money on their storefront

maybe there's a technical reason they haven't done it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Knack has bested me but at least I was able to try the greatest of this generation.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I’m not really digging it either, but I dug it more when I played for an hour last night than when I did the night before so maybe by hour 3 it will start to click?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

that's something you'd think they'd prioritize adding since it's just another reason to spend money on their storefront

maybe there's a technical reason they haven't done it

There are a million things that would spur spending on psn that they havent done (remove the minimum wallet funding amount) or did half assed (wishlist) or did so bad its crazy and prevents them making money (accidental payment lockouts)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Like, how does the fact that you can string your attacks into combos change anything about it still just being about dumping damage into a big thing until it dies

I've put about 60 hours into MHW, the first time I've really tried playing a MH game. You're not totally wrong, it is sort of a "boss rush game" disguised as an MMO-lite, but it's more about positional and environmental play. Most fights with most weapons you'll be mostly dodging or blocking, waiting for an opening. It's kinda like if Dark Souls were Street Fighter.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

There are a million things that would spur spending on psn that they havent done (remove the minimum wallet funding amount) or did half assed (wishlist) or did so bad its crazy and prevents them making money (accidental payment lockouts)

The minimum wallet amount is probably to avoid credit card processing fees on small transactions

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RareAcumen posted:

Anyone have opinions on PS4 themes? I haven't seen any good dynamic ones besides Indivisible.

Journey

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pablo Gigante posted:

The minimum wallet amount is probably to avoid credit card processing fees on small transactions

That's exactly it, Big Credit Card Processing is a real industry dominated by one company (I used to work for). They charge between $1 and $2 per internet transaction.

This is also why some convenience stores have signs that say "Minimum Credit Card Purchase"

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I really like the Final Fantasy 7 Remake theme you get for buying FF7 Remastered. It's got this nice new arrangement of Aerith's theme and FF7 menu sound effects. I tried using the FF9 theme you get for buying FF9 Remastered but the base background is way too blinding white and the menu SFX are much louder and more grating.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

precision posted:

That's exactly it, Big Credit Card Processing is a real industry dominated by one company (I used to work for). They charge between $1 and $2 per internet transaction.

This is also why some convenience stores have signs that say "Minimum Credit Card Purchase"

Yeah I used to work at a convenience store and I was shocked that we would accept credit cards for any purchase, even if someone was just buying a stick of gum, because we would literally lose money on those small transactions. A big corporation like Sony that wants to make profit above all else is probably even more of a stickler about it

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Yeah I used to work at a convenience store and I was shocked that we would accept credit cards for any purchase, even if someone was just buying a stick of gum, because we would literally lose money on those small transactions. A big corporation like Sony that wants to make profit above all else is probably even more of a stickler about it

Some have min limits. Some charge extra. Both are putting the Burton on the customer and not the business though so a lot don't do that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It was a long time ago (probably 2002) but I used to work for Amex and having a minimum requirement was breaking the TOS and would get a company blacklisted temporarily if they got caught. I'm sure a company like Sony has a bunch of mumbo jumbo that justifies it though. It's also probably why major retailers have really gone out of their way to get you to use your pin for debit cards in recent years (I don't think they get charged that way)

Companies like Apple have a much better way of going about it. If you buy one song on iTunes for example, they will just wait to charge your card until you hit more than $5, and if you don't hit $5 after a certain amount of time they just charge the smaller amount. Basically doing the same thing without being a "Burton" on the customer. I have no idea how MS and Sony get away with this minimum wallet crap. It's so lame having to over spend on a movie rental or a screaming deal on a game. I think Nintendo lets you spend under $5 (but they try to trick you into spending $5) but I could be wrong I don't use the Eshop much.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
They changed the law in 2010 to specifically allow merchants to set credit card minimums and charge fees if the minimum wasn't met

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think Sony's just lazy because people wanting to buy something that's less than $5 is probably extremely rare. Also keep in mind they let you use Paypal and a lot of people do, and that adds an extra layer of processing fees.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
precision I will never understand how you have so much time to do so much

acksplode
May 17, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

They changed the law in 2010 to specifically allow merchants to set credit card minimums and charge fees if the minimum wasn't met

2013 but ya. Yet I've still never seen a merchant that wasn't a non-chain cafe or restaurant do it. And some states still forbid credit card surcharges, including California, which gives companies that do business across the country a good reason not to bother with it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

I think Sony's just lazy because people wanting to buy something that's less than $5 is probably extremely rare. Also keep in mind they let you use Paypal and a lot of people do, and that adds an extra layer of processing fees.

It's mostly just annoying when they have these 99c movie rentals that sound good, but having to spend an extra $4 to actually rent it totally kills my desire to bother.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
I'm fighting the bull colossus in Shadow of Colossus and I got the torch knocked down but how do I pick it up? Stupid question but the boss is frustrating when the bull knocks you down and it takes you forever to get back up.

edit: nevermind. R2 did the trick. Still a loving frustrating boss since you have no time at all to pick up the torch.

DoYouHasaRabbit fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 9, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

I'm fighting the bull colossus in Shadow of Colossus and I got the torch knocked down but how do I pick it up? Stupid question but the boss is frustrating when the bull knocks you down and it takes you forever to get back up.

Same button you use to pick up lizard tails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

precision I will never understand how you have so much time to do so much

I'm old