Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah that shits expensive. IDK insulation at all but dude at home depot said the better the R the better the foam, and that poo poo is 5-7.5R for whatever that means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Quoting again for the top of a new page

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Also for any of you who felt like they missed out, I'm doing beanies again.

:siren: A COUPLE SMALL CHANGES THIS TIME AROUND :siren:

I am offering beanies as well as black, velcro back ball caps in YOUR CHOICE of either WITNESS or BLACK THUMBS. I've already sold that run of 4 above, and have presold the ball caps coming in the next order as well as a few beanies. Already shipped out two via USPS with tracking numbers, next batch estimated in my hand within 2 weeks and have enough interest to warrant placing another order.

Pricing is $20 shipped per beanie, $25 shipped per ball cap in the continental USA. Will ship worldwide but we will have to coordinate on any sort of customs costs/shipping. Some mistakes made last time were selling at just above cost, so after shipping was factored in I was actually losing money per unit and panicked, because given the situation at the time I felt asking customers for more money because I hosed up really, really wouldnt have gone over well.

Feel free to post interest in here so I can gauge what sort of potential next order, as if anyone wants something and I dont order it in now, it will be potentially 3 or 4 weeks before the third run gets mailed in. If anybody knows FOR SURE they are interested in anything, send me a private message so I can start a tally sheet for the next order.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I was at home depot buying insulation earlier and I too was shocked at the price of a sheet of 1" thick 4'x8' foam. Half sheets cost almost as much too!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I was at home depot buying insulation earlier and I too was shocked at the price of a sheet of 1" thick 4'x8' foam. Half sheets cost almost as much too!
Oh, sheet material really does have its price break at 8x4 in my experience. Even if I don't need that much, I'll buy one and get them to cut it down.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
DARKNESS
IMPRISONING ME
AND I DID IT ALL
FOR THE NOOKIE

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
14 Inch Dick, he died as he lived: autoerotic asphyxiation.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Home insulation foam has to pass all kinds of standards including fire safety and longevity.

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Yeah that shits expensive. IDK insulation at all but dude at home depot said the better the R the better the foam, and that poo poo is 5-7.5R for whatever that means

Well that's not really true, because R factor is a function of three things; material, density, and thickness, and so you can get the same effective R-factor by layering materials so pricing, choosing a material appropriate for your application, flexibility, etc. all also can matter too.

https://energy.gov/energysaver/weatherize/insulation

You may find you have to chop those slabs up so much in order to fit them to your interior that you're suffering from tons of thermal bridging and you might be better off with a fabric insulator, just as a fer example. :shrug:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Aww poo poo look who got a free craigslist minifridge

And working microwave from larry, and a coffee maker and hot plate from goodwill.

Tremeks wife said no open flames :saddowns:

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
You got the right foam, that stuff is super easy to work with and plenty thick for so small an area. Take your time cutting and fitting it cause it only really works well if it is snugly fit.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Getting there

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I just very nearly took a slug off my gatorade like this

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

"Doctor, every time I drink Gatorade I get a sharp pain in my eye!"

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hopefully this will help temps at night

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

A friend of mine broke his tooth eating M&Ms shortly after he got married.

He had a bunch of them in his left hand, and lifted them up to his mouth to cram them all in at once, and smashed his wedding ring against his front tooth.

Can you find out how much a BLACK THUMBS beanie would cost to send to Australia?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Use reflectix or similar insulation in between the screen and flaps as well, works pretty good.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Memento posted:

A friend of mine broke his tooth eating M&Ms shortly after he got married.

He had a bunch of them in his left hand, and lifted them up to his mouth to cram them all in at once, and smashed his wedding ring against his front tooth.

Can you find out how much a BLACK THUMBS beanie would cost to send to Australia?

Yeah no problem, I'm still waiting on the next shipment in though. PM me an address, and I'll get a quote from the post office tomorrow

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Yeah no problem, I'm still waiting on the next shipment in though. PM me an address, and I'll get a quote from the post office tomorrow
I'd be down for one, if other UK goons want one, might be easier to ship them all together and then redistribute here?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I would like to know how the conversation with Mrs. Tremek went.

"Honey, can we have a man I know from the internet live in a pop-up camper on our driveway for a period of time?"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MA-Horus posted:

"Honey, can we have a man I know from the internet live in a pop-up camper on our driveway for a period of time?"

I'm assuming there was a lot of roses and chocolates and promises of a nice vacation.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I guess it depends - is Tremek's wife a goon/familiar with the Saga of Dave? Because I can't see her putting up too much of a fight. He's a weird internet stranger but he's proven himself (mostly) harmless...

...the fire thing, though. I think I'd ban open flames near the methane source too.

(loving finally got around to reading and catching up with this new thread! Hostel adventures, gently caress yes)

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Count me in for one too, but it'll definitely make more sense to ship them both to Memento and leave it to us to organise the last 20-3500km or so.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

MA-Horus posted:

“ But he’s from the Internet of course it’s safe!”

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Faerunner posted:

I guess it depends - is Tremek's wife a goon/familiar with the Saga of Dave? Because I can't see her putting up too much of a fight. He's a weird internet stranger but he's proven himself (mostly) harmless...

...the fire thing, though. I think I'd ban open flames near the methane source too.

(loving finally got around to reading and catching up with this new thread! Hostel adventures, gently caress yes)

Tremek bought the trailer and hauled it to Valentine in the first place, so she's probably familiar with the situation.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Don Dongington posted:

Count me in for one too, but it'll definitely make more sense to ship them both to Memento and leave it to us to organise the last 20-3500km or so.

I'll be happy to volunteer to be the Aus-tributor for these

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
That avatar and text is amazing. I love it.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Memento posted:

I'll be happy to volunteer to be the Aus-tributor for these

That would be awesome, I was just going to suggest something similar. There's a possibility I can get better (lol) postage rates by piggy backing off one of the places I work at if that helps. I'm pretty sure I'd have to send them via our local PO though.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

MA-Horus posted:

Well, the first few days I was here I spent in a motel, because there were concerns :v:

Granted, they have young kids and she knew about why I was getting the gently caress out of dodge, so there was definitely reasons on top of an unfinished house remodel and I dont hold it against her at all for being cautious

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
In before Tremek moves into the camper with Dick.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Fermented Tinal posted:

In before Tremek moves into the camper with Dick.

I mean it should be hotter in the bedroom now so,

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Use reflectix or similar insulation in between the screen and flaps as well, works pretty good.

Also under you. My winter hammock camping gear is a sheet of reflectix wrapped around my sleeping pad under me in the hammock, keeps me toasty despite cold wind.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I suppose if he wanted to go all out he could just make walls and a ceiling out of the foam and that would probably keep the bunk toasty. Would be a pain to store it when not using it tho.

When I had my pop up, I had a reflectix sheet cut to size for every window, and it was easy to store it away. poo poo worked great in the summer for keeping things cool.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

R-values are a unitless measure of thermal resistance. They're calculated by measuring the rate at which heat escapes (or penetrates) the material, and dividing it by the thickness of the material. R0 is air; a puffy down jacket is a little under R1 iirc.

Super-fun fact: twice the R-value means insulation that is twice as effective, and if you add layers of insulation, you just add their R-values together. So that insulation is like 5-7 puffy down jackets per layer, but without the heat generator (human) constantly adding energy to the system. :science:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well, having only insulated the area under the "bed" I already feel a difference. The mattress is warm to lay on rather than cold. Air temp is still cool, but its a big start

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
If you insulate the ceiling (especially the canvas parts) you'll experience the largest gains.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Fermented Tinal posted:

the largest gains.

do you even lift

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

I'd be down for one, if other UK goons want one, might be easier to ship them all together and then redistribute here?

I'd be interested in a combo price.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Faerunner posted:

He's a weird internet stranger but he's proven himself (mostly) harmless...

You clearly haven't been close enough to Dave to get a whiff of his farts, and his belches make most middle and high school boys nut themselves in jealousy.

(no seriously, I haven't been able to pull those kind of hilariously loud belches since I was 17 or 18...)

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'd be interested in a combo price.

I'd like to get in on this as well

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Grakkus posted:

I'd like to get in on this as well

I'm in the Midlands, where are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

OH ALSO IF ANYBODY HAD ISSUES THE LAST RUN OF ANY KIND PLEASE PRIVATE MESSAGE ME AND I WILL DO MY GOD drat BEST TO MAKE SURE WE GET THINGS SORTED OUT NOW THAT IM ABLE TO STAY ON TOP OF THINGS
Beanie holding up well to garage work and one of the dogs chewing on it for a while at some point

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

That will help but you're still going to lose a ton of heat through the 'walls', find something that can be hung or cut foam pieces to pop into place. Or reflectix as everyone has suggested :doh:

• Locked thread