Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Weirdly enough, yeah

So "Yes but it's also Nazi"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Also the mjolnir necklace is suspect too

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Considering it's the SCA we're talking about, I find it equally likely that they really were just grognards who didn't consider how people would look at their use of a ton of Nordic symbolism that the Nazis co-opted.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
These days if I see a dude covered in a poo poo ton of nordic imagery and has the right haircut odd are person i am looking at is a nazi. If he has a poo poo ton of nordic imagery and literal swatikas and HHs i dont think its up for debate.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Weirdly enough, yeah

Huh. Imagine that. It still manages to have Nazi associations, even as a historical artifact, so I think I'm still going to count it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
A friend of mine is Indian, and when he moved to the US for work and grad school he bought a used car.
He had a Hindu priest(?) bless his car, writing a bunch of good luck symbols on his car with chalk, including a huge swastika. One of his co-workers saw it and told him dude, you can't have that on your car. Even though that's not what you mean, it's what literally everybody who looks at it here will assume.

I think it's unlikely the SCA nerds are ignorant that people would make that association. It's also possible they are racist and it's a wink and a nod. It's most likely that they're making a WELL ACTUALLY statement about how they're taking the symbol back.

Context matters. Eye contact is polite in some contexts, but very rude in some cultural contexts. If you're willfully violating that, you're not making a statement other than "I'm a dick"
(don't sign your posts)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah there is a dude in YouTube that does HEMA and reviews swords and knives. He's Norwegian (?) born Canadian, and I always worry that he's a closet Nordic supremacist.

He's pretty secretive about his origins, which does little too allay my fears.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

canyoneer posted:

A friend of mine is Indian, and when he moved to the US for work and grad school he bought a used car.
He had a Hindu priest(?) bless his car, writing a bunch of good luck symbols on his car with chalk, including a huge swastika. One of his co-workers saw it and told him dude, you can't have that on your car. Even though that's not what you mean, it's what literally everybody who looks at it here will assume.

I think it's unlikely the SCA nerds are ignorant that people would make that association. It's also possible they are racist and it's a wink and a nod. It's most likely that they're making a WELL ACTUALLY statement about how they're taking the symbol back.

Context matters. Eye contact is polite in some contexts, but very rude in some cultural contexts. If you're willfully violating that, you're not making a statement other than "I'm a dick"
(don't sign your posts)

Was given aa Kurta in college from some Indian friends, it looks great and is comfy, but it's "Swastika" brand with the orthogonal oriented swastika logo on the tag. :/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurta

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

LifeSunDeath posted:

Was given aa Kurta in college from some Indian friends, it looks great and is comfy, but it's "Swastika" brand with the orthogonal oriented swastika logo on the tag. :/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurta

I bought myself two kurtas after a coworker wore one to work during an international festival type thing. His looked so amazing, I just had to have one. Kurtas own, but you have to get the special occasion ones with the cool colors and embroidery.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah there is a dude in YouTube that does HEMA and reviews swords and knives. He's Norwegian (?) born Canadian, and I always worry that he's a closet Nordic supremacist.

I do not think Skallagrim is a racist.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Wasabi the J posted:

Definitely Norwegian, both him and his SO have distinct Norwegian accents to my ears. I don't know or care much anymore why he's secretive about it, though. Don't be a weird nazi, viking-man :(

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

mng posted:

Definitely Norwegian, both him and his SO have distinct Norwegian accents to my ears. I don't know or care much anymore why he's secretive about it, though. Don't be a weird nazi, viking-man :(

He is from Norway, in his earlier videos he talked about it a lot, he moved to Canada in the last few years. As far as I know hes never gave any indication of racism and does not even use pagan iconography to any large extent. There were some idiots on the internet who accused him of racism for not liking katanas though so that was a thing lol

WoodrowSkillson has a new favorite as of 19:20 on Feb 8, 2018

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

He is from Norway, in her earlier videos he talked about it a lot, he moved to Canada in the last few years. As far as I know hes never gave any indication of racism and does not even use pagan iconography to any large extent. There were some idiots on the internet who accused him of racism for not liking katanas though so that was a thing lol

Yeah I don't really doubt he's just a normal dude. I'm really glad channels like his, scholagladiatoria, Knyght Errant, Metatron etc. are around to dispel history myths that have stuck around since before the internet. Butt-hurt anime nerds is a good bonus.

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/YR4oNPN.mp4

HP Artsandcrafts has a new favorite as of 19:47 on Feb 8, 2018

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Yo thanks for the 47 meg gif that crashes my browser.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Burt Sexual posted:

i thought my internet was crashing, glad it's not just me.

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

i thought my internet was crashing, glad it's not just me.

It's an mp4 now. Schaden on you guys that don't have any RAM though?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

Shaden on the poster that posts stupid poo poo.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

Animated gifs are hellaciously processor intensive because they're being ratfucked into displaying full color video, something they were never intended to do.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I do not think Skallagrim is a racist.

I don't either it's just been a rough year and I feel like it's making me assume the worst of people now.

And yeah he's not assuming the attitudes and symbols of the typical neo-norse-zi, and generally seems like an all-around nice dude, so I'm not that worried.

I find it funny that he's "forced" to play anime booby games on his channel though. I don't know how much I buy into his coercion.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

I don't either it's just been a rough year and I feel like it's making me assume the worst of people now.

And yeah he's not assuming the attitudes and symbols of the typical neo-norse-zi, and generally seems like an all-around nice dude, so I'm not that worried.

I find it funny that he's "forced" to play anime booby games on his channel though. I don't know how much I buy into his coercion.

i don't watch him much anymore anyway, schola gladiatoria is much better

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Has anyone made a counterpoint to those "dad reflexes" videos, yet?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

Has anyone made a counterpoint to those "dad reflexes" videos, yet?

DUI Dad Fails: Airborn Addition, You Won't Believe Number 8!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Burt Sexual posted:

56k? Noooooooo

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

56k? Noooooooo

Nuevo posted:

Animated gifs are hellaciously processor intensive because they're being ratfucked into displaying full color video, something they were never intended to do.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jerry Cotton posted:

A lot of them do though :confused:

yeah they're generally called judges

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

When welcoming your rag-time gal goes horribly wrong.

I don't get it :confused:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

56k? Noooooooo

2 oc3s bitch

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Takes No Damage posted:

I don't get it :confused:

I'm really confused. The picture didn't change in the original post?

Brimstone Inquiry
Jan 21, 2007

Evo 2018 has finally their 8 games for this year and it's- *a lone cricket sings the song of his people*

...yeah I had a long thing typed out but I got bored, too, so you get a choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlebGQ6mvv4 for heavy hearted schad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zKifMjOeH8 that gets to the drat point

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.

Nuevo posted:

I’ve never seen the term “ratfucked” before, and now I’m wondering what its horrific origin is.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ashnjack posted:

I’ve never seen the term “ratfucked” before, and now I’m wondering what its horrific origin is.

It originates with Nixon’s cronies.

I’m not making that up.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
ratfuckers, the ratfuckers, we're the ratfuckers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratfucking

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So was that an auto loss for whatever team he belongs to or did they have to redo the game?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

RatHat posted:

So was that an auto loss for whatever team he belongs to or did they have to redo the game?

I think the player on the other team gets to walk to first base

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t know much about curling (that’s curling, right?), but seeing as they’re pushing the stones away from the target with their feet and poles, I think that’s just cleanup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

RatHat posted:

They're just going over the track to see what it's like, if they were actually playing at that point in time there wouldn't have been anyone in the target zone.

Someone who knows what the correct terms are (instead of "track" and "zone") will come along shortly and correct me.