Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/961619337936125952

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

lancemantis posted:

My mom attended a 1 room schoolhouse until maybe high school or so

This would have been in the late 60s/early 70s

US development has been.....uneven

my mom was born in 1950 and her family had an outhouse when she was a kid. they lived within city limits too.

when i was a kid, around 1983 or so, we lived on a dirt road. our telephone was on a party line.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

lancemantis posted:

My mom attended a 1 room schoolhouse until maybe high school or so

This would have been in the late 60s/early 70s

US development has been.....uneven

there's nothing particularly bad about a one room schoolhouse

President Beep posted:

my mom was born in 1950 and her family had an outhouse when she was a kid. they lived within city limits too.

when i was a kid, around 1983 or so, we lived on a dirt road. our telephone was on a party line.

my grandma's phone line was still a party line up until 2002 or so when FIOS got installed, but the other homes on the line had been given their own phone numbers long before, like by the late 70s. but since it was still in the system as a party line it saved a surprisingly big amount on the phone bill

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

President Beep posted:

when i was a kid, around 1983 or so, we lived on a dirt road

living on a dirt road, yes, clearly a marker of a thing. especially in one of the geographically-largest countries on the planet

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Lutha Mahtin posted:

living on a dirt road, yes, clearly a marker of a thing. especially in one of the geographically-largest countries on the planet

that was primarily to set the context for why we had a party line—ie we were out in the sticks.

e: i do deffo see how my post could be read like that though.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 9, 2018

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

cape breton?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

cape breton?

me? no, a far more magical place: southern Michigan, about six miles north of the indiana border.

:banjo:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
the thing about party lines is they were very common in straight up suburban and even some urban areas, because upgrading telephone exchanges to get a whole separate line could take a lot longer, but you could be patched into party lines very shortly after move-in, as well as costing less money per month

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

fishmech posted:

the thing about party lines is they were very common in straight up suburban and even some urban areas, because upgrading telephone exchanges to get a whole separate line could take a lot longer, but you could be patched into party lines very shortly after move-in, as well as costing less money per month

is it just me, or is mankind’s communications infrastructure in general still jankity as gently caress.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Jonny 290 posted:

reminds you gently to go the f to sleep and keeps track of sleep/wake (it assumes you go to bed on time, but will mark your 'end of sleep' as when you start fuckin with your phone in the AM)

and then it can graph trends and lay it out nicely for you

a fitbit does this automatically and accurately

ate all the Oreos posted:

i'm not saying it to be judgey i'm saying it's weird that you're apparently from a backwards dimension where people wake up in the morning and then proceed to sleep backwards in time until an alarm goes off to put them to sleep

having crippling ADHD makes it extremely difficult to remember go to bed in time to get a proper amount of sleep, so thanks for that I suppose

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

dc3k posted:

it's made by californians and reacts like californians. OH MY GOD, WE'RE SURROUNDED BY SNOW EVERYBODY FREAK OUT

can you imagine the street value of this mountain alone?!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i drove on a cape breton dirt road yesterday ama

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i drove on a cape breton dirt road yesterday ama

This is code for anal, I take it?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
nope dead serious. got one of the last flights out of halifax before the weather closed in.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i think it bears stating that millennials are woefully undereducated compared to previous generations, and it's only getting worse

a portion of it can be chalked up to public school budgets being slashed by gen x childfrees/conservatives who don't understand why they should fund other people's kids, but it's mainly a pervasive attitude of incuriousness fueled by not needing to know things because of the internet

basically the death of expertise is directly leading to the death of education and it's truly scary to see

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

ah, so it IS the kids who are wrong

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yep, and getting wronger all the time

no reason to learn anything if you can just pull up a patently false web page on your phone any time you need to

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
we don't need no education

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
don’t encourage him

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

rjmccall posted:

oh poo poo, companies employ people to do labor, let me go update the world's economic models, nobody had any idea

im glad you've finally come around on the need for global communism friend

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

don’t encourage him

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Stymie posted:

no reason to learn anything if you can just pull up a patently false web page on your phone any time you need to

but enough about the weather forecast!

hey-o!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

President Beep posted:

is it just me, or is mankind’s communications infrastructure in general still jankity as gently caress.

Does this include email and texting and twitter (because the answer is still yes.)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Chris Knight posted:

can you imagine the street value of this mountain alone?!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stymie posted:

i think it bears stating that millennials are woefully undereducated compared to previous generations, and it's only getting worse

a portion of it can be chalked up to public school budgets being slashed by gen x childfrees/conservatives who don't understand why they should fund other people's kids, but it's mainly a pervasive attitude of incuriousness fueled by not needing to know things because of the internet

basically the death of expertise is directly leading to the death of education and it's truly scary to see

you are thinking of the generation after millenials, namaste

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
NUMTOT is proof that's false

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

atomicthumbs posted:

NUMTOT is proof that's false

:yeah:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fishmech posted:

you are thinking of the generation after millenials, namaste

nope, i'm definitely thinking of millennials, their kids are an entirely different kettle of fish

millennials are the product of the ravaging of public education and the rise of the internet eradicating both modern education and journalism which makes them the perfect implement for gen x to wreck the government and society

baby boomers handed gen x a economy rich with wealth and opportunity and they're busy hoarding it while shunting the blame onto boomers for the failures gen x engineered

to be fair, gen x is and remains the real problem, but millennials are still dangerously uneducated which doesn't bode will for the generations following

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fishmech posted:

our cabin still has a party line with one other person on it. still works just like it always did. two short rings is ours, one long one is theresa.

i wonder how rare they are in tyool 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stymie posted:

nope, i'm definitely thinking of millennials, their kids are an entirely different kettle of fish

millennials are the product of the ravaging of public education and the rise of the internet eradicating both modern education and journalism which makes them the perfect implement for gen x to wreck the government and society

baby boomers handed gen x a economy rich with wealth and opportunity and they're busy hoarding it while shunting the blame onto boomers for the failures gen x engineered

to be fair, gen x is and remains the real problem, but millennials are still dangerously uneducated which doesn't bode will for the generations following

The next generation isn't the kids of millennials except the very oldest. They're millennials younger cousins or siblings. Their parents are mostly gen x

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fishmech posted:

The next generation isn't the kids of millennials except the very oldest. They're millennials younger cousins or siblings. Their parents are mostly gen x

oh cool thanks for this distinction without a difference, really clears things up

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Stymie posted:

i don't think gen x was really in charge of things during the 80s, that strikes me as like blaming millennials for the invasion of iraq

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stymie posted:

oh cool thanks for this distinction without a difference, really clears things up

It's a pretty big difference

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

so you’re saying stymie made a bad post? I guess Theresa first time for everything!

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
Yup, the first generation of kids in the US in a century without lead poisoning and literally the sum of human knowledge in their hands is actually very dumb compared to their parents.

Go drink some hemlock old man.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i don't think gen x was really in charge of things during the 80s, that strikes me as like blaming millennials for the invasion of iraq

yeah going by my old-rear end parents the boomers had actual power from like, 70's to mid-late 80's, then gen-x had it from 90's thru the 00's, and now the 10's and 20's are millennials time to shine

and boy what a great job we're doing so far

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Greatbacon posted:

Yup, the first generation of kids in the US in a century without lead poisoning and literally the sum of human knowledge in their hands is actually very dumb compared to their parents.

Go drink some hemlock old man.

i mean it's the sum of human knowledge plus the sum of human stupidity and it's all wrapped up and marketed in a way where most people can't really tell them apart

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

our cabin still has a party line with one other person on it. still works just like it always did. two short rings is ours, one long one is theresa.

i wonder how rare they are in tyool 2018

this suddenly makes me think of a time where I misdialed a number, got some weird operator that picked up and told me to hold a second while they completed my call, waited through a few more rings to discover that the person that picked up was not who I was trying to reach

I wish I still had that number so I could figure out exactly where I called

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

yeah going by my old-rear end parents the boomers had actual power from like, 70's to mid-late 80's, then gen-x had it from 90's thru the 00's, and now the 10's and 20's are millennials time to shine

and boy what a great job we're doing so far

Boomers were 8 to 25 years old in 1970. You don't even have them all past high school age until 1980, let alone having settled into ages where they vote en masse.

When this site, a creation of Gen Xers, was created over 18 years ago, there was still Gen X kids in high school, and plenty still in college - and there's yet to be a gen x president or anything like that. Gen x is basically just getting settled into things still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

the sum of human knowledge

what an age we live in!

plus the sum of human stupidity

:negative: