Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Groke posted:

Likewise, Patrick Stewart has basically looked the same since the 1984 Dune movie.

Bald is a pretty good look for remaining timeless. Dwayne Johnson is probably going to be at it for decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

With all his steroid use I doubt he has a long career ahead of him. He'll go the Reagan route soon.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

muscles like this! posted:

Netflix is doing a Witcher show.

Well sign me the gently caress up.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gorilla Salad posted:

Well sign me the gently caress up.

A new Witcher show, apparently there was previously a very bad one in Poland

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

With all his steroid use I doubt he has a long career ahead of him. He'll go the Reagan route soon.
Live to like 85 and be remembered as an influential figure that many try to emulate?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah, by leaving Hollywood.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Arnold and Sylvester Stallone seems to be in reasonably good health for their age, considering they have injected probably every steroid and growth hormone there is.

Edit: And they also have the money to pay off the foremost experts on how to do it. They are not like the MMA fighters, football players and sprinters who die of heart failure at 38.

evobatman has a new favorite as of 14:45 on Feb 6, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Patrick Stewart is finally looking pretty old though :(

TV Actors That Did Age Well, But Still Aged

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Sir Lemming posted:

Really no older than that TNG episode where they gave him a beard.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

evobatman posted:

Arnold and Sylvester Stallone seems to be in reasonably good health for their age, considering they have injected probably every steroid and growth hormone there is.

Edit: And they also have the money to pay off the foremost experts on how to do it. They are not like the MMA fighters, football players and sprinters who die of heart failure at 38.

I think a lot of that is due to the fact that there weren't the same quantities and strengths available back then - compare their physique at their peak compared to someone like Rich Piana. There are bodybuilders and powerlifters talking about doing stuff like 5g of test a day, that poo poo is going to gently caress you up right quick.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

MikeCrotch posted:

I think a lot of that is due to the fact that there weren't the same quantities and strengths available back then - compare their physique at their peak compared to someone like Rich Piana. There are bodybuilders and powerlifters talking about doing stuff like 5g of test a day, that poo poo is going to gently caress you up right quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoczMQEcab8

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Sir Lemming posted:

Steve Martin went from white-haired-guy-in-his-30s to actual-old-guy in the space of like 3 years

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Damon Wayans, Sr. is older in the Lethal Weapon TV series than Danny Glover was in the first Lethal Weapon movie. In fact, I think he's older than Danny Glover was in the last Lethal Weapon movie.

And he still looks about the same age he did in (off the top of my head) The Last Boy Scout 27 years ago.

Black don't crack. except but when it does, it shatters

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Iron Crowned posted:

A new Witcher show, apparently there was previously a very bad one in Poland

My parents have their TV set almost 24/7 to Polish television, so I used to catch bits and pieces of it here and there. It's really low-budget looking. Maybe Lord of the Rings set too high a standard, but it really looks like there was absolutely no effort put into production design or cinematography.

Apparently the author himself didn't like it, either.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I've heard the old Witcher TV series was decent enough, you know, given the time and budget and all that, but the "movie" they edited out of it was awful. I'd love to see it at some point. Also it was before they settled on a translation so I believe it's technically called The Hexer or something like that.

I think the movie made it to the US, but the TV series did not.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Just link it already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZlIMnIe9e0

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

mojo1701a posted:

My parents have their TV set almost 24/7 to Polish television, so I used to catch bits and pieces of it here and there. It's really low-budget looking. Maybe Lord of the Rings set too high a standard, but it really looks like there was absolutely no effort put into production design or cinematography.

The author doesn't like the video games either last I heard because they overshadowed his books and are adapted to hell so when people read his other books they're like, this is awful, and stop reading to keep playing the game

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

mojo1701a posted:

I was about to comment about Andrzej Sapkowski hating the games too but I just googled it and that's not true, he admits to not having played them but he likes that they took their own divergent take on the world rather than just following his stories beat for beat, CDProject presented all their ideas to him in advance and asked how comfortable he was with their plot twists, and he appreciates the boost in book sales the games have brought about.

I guess I was just assuming he hated them because he inadvertantly talked them into a really bad licensing deal after assuming they'd make no money.

e:

Calaveron posted:

The author doesn't like the video games either last I heard because they overshadowed his books and are adapted to hell so when people read his other books they're like, this is awful, and stop reading to keep playing the game

This is from 2015 dunno if he changed his tune in the last two years I'm wrong, its from 2012, it was posted 2015.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fmCiasdEDY

Not Operator has a new favorite as of 20:06 on Feb 6, 2018

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Calaveron posted:

On top of this, he expected the games to fail because of a "psh video games" attitude, so he took a flat payment instead of a percentage. I forget how much, but it was a hilariously tiny pittance compared to what the games ended up making

Edit: looks like some parts of this might be inaccurate re: his attitude towards the games

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I've only seen the first couple of episodes, but with how Altered Carbon looks and feels, I have confidence in Netflix Witcher.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Sir Lemming posted:

They still had to add some makeup on him to make he look properly old in Logan, didn't they?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Still looks better than when he had makeup to make him look "old".

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 19:09 on Feb 7, 2018

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

At what point does a recurring background gag become overplayed? Like in Home Improvement where not being able to see Wilson’s mouth is a funny gag that then becomes a big thing that need to be included in the opening credits.

On the other hand you have Kramer’s numerous unseen friends on Seinfeld which never bothered me, even if there was a joke referencing it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

At what point does a recurring background gag become overplayed? Like in Home Improvement where not being able to see Wilson’s mouth is a funny gag that then becomes a big thing that need to be included in the opening credits.

On the other hand you have Kramer’s numerous unseen friends on Seinfeld which never bothered me, even if there was a joke referencing it.

I was thinking about the Wilson gag the other day. There's an episode where the Taylor family goes over to his house for dinner and they keep having contrived ways to not show his face - just burying the gag into the ground, in effect - but the worst part is how the canned laughter audience goes "oohhhhh" when he pops up and his face is covered by a leaf from a hanging plant, or something.

If they're supposed to be a live studio audience they wouldn't have to react to the forced perspective of the camera :psyduck:

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

CommonShore posted:

I was thinking about the Wilson gag the other day. There's an episode where the Taylor family goes over to his house for dinner and they keep having contrived ways to not show his face - just burying the gag into the ground, in effect - but the worst part is how the canned laughter audience goes "oohhhhh" when he pops up and his face is covered by a leaf from a hanging plant, or something.

If they're supposed to be a live studio audience they wouldn't have to react to the forced perspective of the camera :psyduck:

I remember this episode. You can even kind of see the side of Wilsons mouth and face for a second a couple of times too. Not sure if thats an effect of watching it on a modern day television or an HD remaster though.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
There was one episode where it was even worse. In one episode during the credits, they had all the actors come in and take a bow, kind of like a theatre show. Wilson's actor was holding a little piece of fence in front of his mouth the entire time.

At what point does a recurring background gag become overplayed?

I think that depends a lot on how funny you think the gag is in the first place.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I like to call this divide between pulling it off and being overplayed "The Maris Line"

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I've been watching some random old South Parks and just saw the Paris Hilton one.

Obviously, its aged badly because every celebrity has a sex tape/nudes now, but drat are they horrible about her. The entire episode is her being called a slut and a whore, and generally being gross. It just feels out of proportion for someone who was a dumb reality TV star.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Really early on in South Park Stan says he doesn’t believe in global warming because his dad is a geologist who also doesn’t believe. His dad is Randy Marsh, who over the seasons has turned into pretty much the biggest, dumbest, most irrational idiot on the show.

I guess it ages a bit better that way, actually.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Joe the Strummer posted:

I remember this episode. You can even kind of see the side of Wilsons mouth and face for a second a couple of times too. Not sure if thats an effect of watching it on a modern day television or an HD remaster though.

This reminds me of that Twilight Zone episode where the lady is getting plastic surgery to correct her horrible face and it turns out she's beautiful and it's everyone else whose deformed. They try their best to hide the doctor's and nurses' faces but in multiple scenes you can see them and they look perfectly normal. Which was such a cop out. At least stick a big plant leaf or random chunk of fence in there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SEX BURRITO posted:

I've been watching some random old South Parks and just saw the Paris Hilton one.

Obviously, its aged badly because every celebrity has a sex tape/nudes now, but drat are they horrible about her. The entire episode is her being called a slut and a whore, and generally being gross. It just feels out of proportion for someone who was a dumb reality TV star.

It's tacky and it's slutshaming, but at the time Hilton was out every night partying and she had a rep for not wearing panties because they were coming off anyway. Even before the sex tape there was a joke (FCVO "joke") that more men had slept with Paris Hilton than in the Paris Hilton.

What's really bad is that Hilton did try moderating a bit after the sex tape put a bit of a shock into her, but nobody would let her forget it. In the remake of House of Wax there's a scene where two cars are driving side by side and a guy in one is filming Paris Hilton in the other, and of course he's using a night vision filter. Doing that poo poo is just what South Park does; taking it into real life is way worse.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I always got the impression that Hilton capitalized on everyone being shaming and awful to her (for doing what plenty of young men her age do, just less openly/judged) via a successful reality show career? The show came after the tapes, right? She didn’t have to work a day in her life but then again had the privilege to chose to be on television and take some control of the public narrative.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Like everything else in comedy, I think it's just a matter of acting like it happened by coincidence. Which is obviously super hard to pull off. Draw too much attention to the writer's hand and suddenly it's ruined. For some reason. Except, of course, when it isn't.

Everybody Loves Raymond did this with Robert's quirk of touching food to his chin before he ate it. It was a nice little running gag, then they did like a whole episode about it. Problem was in that case it wasn't even that great a running gag so there was barely anything to expand upon anyway.

I think with these things, you keep it low key and then get one chance to blow the whole thing up and take it as far as it can go, and then after that you can't really do the joke anymore. If you go the other route of trying to gradually make it more ridiculous, it usually ends up going well past the point where it's still funny. And it's hard to de-escalate it after it's reached that point. It's possible to do that gradual increase and stop at exactly the right moment, but it's a lot harder.

New Girl pulled off a good example with the secret of Schmidt's first name. It remained a pretty low-level joke and then the reveal happened fairly unexpectedly, but also at a point in the series where it really made sense to do it. And they even snuck in a perfect reset button at the end of the episode.

Sir Lemming has a new favorite as of 14:54 on Feb 9, 2018

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

This reminds me of that Twilight Zone episode where the lady is getting plastic surgery to correct her horrible face and it turns out she's beautiful and it's everyone else whose deformed. They try their best to hide the doctor's and nurses' faces but in multiple scenes you can see them and they look perfectly normal. Which was such a cop out. At least stick a big plant leaf or random chunk of fence in there.

There's a couple of points in the episode where a TV is on in the background and it looks like the person on TV has the proper makeup on despite the TV not being really visible at the time, so at least they tried to stick with the theme. Really, most old sci-fi programs that relied on the technology of the time "softening" the picture haven't aged well.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I always got the impression that Hilton capitalized on everyone being shaming and awful to her (for doing what plenty of young men her age do, just less openly/judged) via a successful reality show career? The show came after the tapes, right? She didn’t have to work a day in her life but then again had the privilege to chose to be on television and take some control of the public narrative.

Rick Salomon released it without her knowledge right before the show aired to capitalize on it. She was also a drunk 19 year old and the dude was over 30 years old.
But yeah I'm happy that she was lucky enough to have a family that knew how to turn that poo poo.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

She was rich, but she wanted to be famous and even bad press got her face in the news. 2005 - 2010 or so was a really weird time. Like multiple minor celebrities tried to find fame and fortune through sex tapes that were 'accidentally' released.

Then Hilton's assistant Kim Kardashian releases her own tape and eclipses her completely.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Jedit posted:

It's tacky and it's slutshaming, but at the time Hilton was out every night partying and she had a rep for not wearing panties because they were coming off anyway. Even before the sex tape there was a joke (FCVO "joke") that more men had slept with Paris Hilton than in the Paris Hilton.

True. I don't remember much about her pre-sex tape, but the episode is unnecessarily harsh. At one point she's coughing up cum. I don't think she was that much worse than a lot of dumb reality stars, just a lot more visible. They did an episode about Kim Kardashian recently, and that wasn't nearly as bad.

Sir Lemming posted:

New Girl pulled off a good example with the secret of Schmidt's first name. It remained a pretty low-level joke and then the reveal happened fairly unexpectedly, but also at a point in the series where it really made sense to do it. And they even snuck in a perfect reset button at the end of the episode.

I really liked the reveal, and they honestly couldn't have picked a better first name for Schmidt. It worked well because his lack of first name wasn't a huge deal, it was just something in the back of the audience's mind. I think I looked it up on Wikipedia once because I was sure I'd missed it somewhere.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There was a period in which Paris Hilton was obnoxiously over-exposed and her only seeming qualifications were that she was drunk, she didn't wear panties, and she was in a night-vision sex tape.

The episode tries to be as much about the public giving attention in those circumstances, but the cum-coughing overshadows that a bit.

e. to clarify the chronology a bit - she was a drunken tabloid star -before- she had a tv show. i.e. the tv shows were created to showcase her as a drunken tabloid star.

CommonShore has a new favorite as of 15:38 on Feb 9, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She was in an episode of Veronica Mars playing a spoiled brat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013