Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
An Octopode with a helmet should get a stealth bonus when not moving or taking any actions, because it pulls all of its legs into the helmet so it just looks like a random helmet laying on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009
The problem with hell effects in Vaults is that unlike hell, you aren't doing the whole thing in one go, you're probably just clearing out the first floor for EXP and parking your butt in Dungeon to regen, so there isn't much time for hell effects to go off. You could tie it to high tension (like Xom), or you could tie it to the specific vault monsters seeing you (they're looking for a criminal who's entered the Vaults without authorization and on high alert - sentinels immediately mark/blow their horn, convokers immediately start recalling, wardens immediately lock the doors. Could add code to _post_monster_move to implement this). Or maybe you're just permanently marked? Either way, it should be hard enough that Vaults:1 for EXP before rune 1 isn't necessarily the best choice. A side-effect of this is that challenges like 'get the silver rune first + other restrictions' would be interesting.

Patashu fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 7, 2018

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I may be biased since I watched oceans 11-13 this weekend, but what about a timer that scales the difficulty of the last floor? So if you wait to start it it will be relatively straightforward, but if you try and do it earlier and slow you may get punished later on.

Since you're robbing a literal vault and all.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
All these ideas sound like they're replacing something kinda bad (the rune lock) with something much worse

Caredresser
Oct 10, 2012

by zen death robot
I like being a crab but I miss seeing my armour and hat on my little dude

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I seem to remember Entropy Weavers used to take several turns to smite you with corrosion, and if you could break LoS you could avoid the attack. That was honestly kinda cool, a lot more so than the current "gently caress you, you're corroded" instant-smite.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Lprsti99 posted:

An Octopode with a helmet should get a stealth bonus when not moving or taking any actions, because it pulls all of its legs into the helmet so it just looks like a random helmet laying on the ground.
Really cool, but not much practical application. It should definitely be some kind of effect while stationary, though. An AC bonus seems like an easy, if very bland option.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

cheetah7071 posted:

All these ideas sound like they're replacing something kinda bad (the rune lock) with something much worse

I see your point. I do like the Rune Lock a lot since it forces you to take risks instead of piling up the easiest XP first.

But if we decided to do away with it, let's make it fun.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Any word on giving Necromancers back their lost powers? Some absolute wacko took Control Undead out of the starting book and its an freaking pain, pun intended

e: nvm this never happened in gooncrawl !!!!!!

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Picked up a helmet and it combined with a red robe to make me the Spanish Inquisition.

That was unexpected.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

Caredresser posted:

I like being a crab but I miss seeing my armour and hat on my little dude

Yeah I’d like to play, but I’m waiting for people to get tired of the crab meme and remove it.

LogicNinja posted:

Picked up a helmet and it combined with a red robe to make me the Spanish Inquisition.

That was unexpected.

Are you super buff or a girl.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

What crab meme,? When I played (last week) it was unnoticeabe.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

Speleothing posted:

What crab meme,? When I played (last week) it was unnoticeabe.

Last I played literally everything was a crab.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Nightgull posted:

You might have accidentally turned on crablang in your rcfile. Just find the line about fake languages and remove/comment it out (or replace it with butt lang or whatever).

Edit: Yeah, the CPO server has the tile turned to a fire crab and crablang on by default. Just paste in an rcfile from .21 (or whatever your old rcfile is) to disable it.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 9, 2018

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Nightgull posted:

they make soaps and combs for this

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I found two scrolls of acquirement on Lair 1! They gave me a cloak of poison resistance and boots of flight.

I'm playing a gargoyle.

With this and the herd of death yaks guarding the lair entrance, I'm beginning to think this run has it out for me.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Has anyone had a chance to find and learn Blade of Disaster yet? I’d love some feedback on the spell, particularly since I haven’t really felt like playing too much myself.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Whatever happened with those Charms spells we brainstormed in the last thread? Did anybody do any work on them?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I wanted to work on some poison spells, but got horribly sick about a week before getting incredibly busy, then left the country for almost a month and left my computer with it. I still want to work on some of the things we talked about in this thread, but will definitely do so slowly. Of course, it would be great if some more people started contributing. My coding skill is limited to one high school class in c++, which was 15 years ago. But, a whole lot can be done just by copying and repurposing existing code.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Speleothing posted:

Whatever happened with those Charms spells we brainstormed in the last thread? Did anybody do any work on them?

I worked on one, then most of them got looked over in ##crawl-dev and were disliked for one reason or another. Then I kept working on Gnolls some more instead.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I started playing this again after years, what's the right distribution of skill points for a minotaur berserker?

Also, what are the biggest things that have changed since say .17 or .18?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 10, 2018

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
train weapon skill and fighting at first, probably more weapon skill than fighting. later on train armor/dodging.
simple way to do it would be turning on weapon/fighting at the start of the game, weapon focused, and then once fighting hits 10 turn it off and turn on either armor/dodging until that hits 10, etc(still training weapon skill until it hits mindelay).

if you get good wands/evocables and wanna use them train some evo.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I meant the stat points not the skills, sorry. Should I put any points into intelligence? Like 2:1 strength:dexterity?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I basically just raise Str. Definitely raise more str than dex on any character that is going to use heavy armor(aka any non-spellcaster).

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
definitely also raise str on the rare characters who are going to use heavy armour and cast

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.
Won my first gooncrawl game just now. 15-runed this GrEE :toot:, my go-to easymode combo for when I just want to have a somewhat relaxed run and blow poo poo up while also having a decent chance to ascend.
As usual, I spent way too much time in ziggurats during extended because it's just too drat fun to blow up entire screenfuls of enemies with Shatter and other lvl9 spells.
Loving most of the changes so far. I still miss wands of healing, but the harp of healing turned out to be a really decent substitute. Also, the removal of malmutate from the nexocewhatsis and cacodemons is cool and good - I only got malmutated a few times from some shining eyes and orbs of fire, and it ended up not mattering anyway, apart from picking up evolution which just made me decompose in lichform every so often.

All in all, stellar work on Floodkiller's part. Gonna go splat some ogres next to celebrate the return of +3 M&F.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

FR: goldfish race that get natural submerging attacks but the map deteriorates like in Labyrinth

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

tote up a bags posted:

FR: goldfish race that get natural submerging attacks but the map deteriorates like in Labyrinth

Speaking of,

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/fdd7f25fa8ae

Change labyrinth risk-reward: reduce loot
This trims 1-3 items from the loot pool the minotaur guards.

lol

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hosed up how the random assortment of junk from the labyrinth was breaking the game over its knee

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I won't merge those lab changes unless people actually want it, since the whole reason they got made was because some people hate mazes but felt required to enter labs due to the item reward for minimal risk.

Another vault rune lock replacement idea: you need a rune to disable the alarm on the Vaults entrance. If you enter Vaults without a rune, all Vaults levels will be set to generate all enemies as awake. Additionally, make noise (25) every time you ascend or descend staircases/hatches without a rune. The stairs part goes away after you get a rune, the awake part doesn't Basically, Vaults turns into Qazlal mode if you skip getting a Lair rune.

Any other discussion on the topics I posted? Here's what I see so far (reply if I missed something):
Vaults rune lock:
-Just remove it
-Remove it and move the entrance to Depths
-Remove it and make monsters tougher without a rune
-Remove it and add hell-effect esque things without a rune
-Remove it and make noise on stairs/generate awake monsters without a rune
-Remove it and make the branch/ending get tougher the longer you take to complete it.

Healer background:
-Just add it
-Add it after changing Ely to old/a revised version (would require a successful FR vote to change Ely)

Remove SInv from Entropy Weavers:
-Just do it
-Wait and do a full redesign of entropy weavers instead (most of the comments are other balance changes that are beyond the scope of just removing a see invisible tag)

Helmet shell for octopodes:
-Stealth bonus while stationary
-AC bonus while stationary

I'll be including "I don't care" votes with these options, counting it as a "I don't like/don't care about any of these, put it off until the next version for a better design". Please come up with designs/suggestions if you care about these features and don't already see your choice, so that it can get added at voting time!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

From a flavor standpoint, I like that alarm idea. If you think you're swole (or desperate) enough to kill everybody you don't have to care about subtlety, but you still get the option.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
nerdy request incoming

I'd like to be able to vote "I actively like the current way it is" in addition to or instead of the more passive "don't care" button. You're kind of making all proposals default to "yes" because you get a big list of choices, none of which are "how it is right now", and then a generic "whatever" button that only maybe means "I don't like this". It'd be even better if you didn't mention which of the options was the current behavior and just described it blind like any other proposal and sorted them randomly. I think your fork is already gunning for the Powered by Spite banner and I totally understand why but I don't think you ought to push it further in that direction with your poll structure.

Can I propose "remove food"? I think you should remove food. I know people want to eat the purple - surely you could keep that in some way without any other food.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 12, 2018

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Zaodai posted:

From a flavor standpoint, I like that alarm idea. If you think you're swole (or desperate) enough to kill everybody you don't have to care about subtlety, but you still get the option.

Yeah it sounds really cool, but it should deff have some kind of message when you enter, explaining whats going on.

Something like; "You don't have a Rune, alarms start wailing!!!"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Another rune lock variant I thought of was forcing you to choose one of vaults, lair branch 1, and lair branch 2. As soon as you enter one, the others are locked until you get the rune. I'm not sure it quite works as a way to force an early rune though - maybe vaults has enough exp that it'll put you over the hump and let you do vaults 1-4, depths, vaults:5 which I think would be a shame.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

nerdy request incoming

I'd like to be able to vote "I actively like the current way it is" in addition to or instead of the more passive "don't care" button. You're kind of making all proposals default to "yes" because you get a big list of choices, none of which are "how it is right now", and then a generic "whatever" button that only maybe means "I don't like this". It'd be even better if you didn't mention which of the options was the current behavior and just described it blind like any other proposal and sorted them randomly. I think your fork is already gunning for the Powered by Spite banner and I totally understand why but I don't think you ought to push it further in that direction with your poll structure.

Can I propose "remove food"? I think you should remove food. I know people want to eat the purple - surely you could keep that in some way without any other food.

Most of the recent polls and this current discussion have been focused in that direction because they fell under "Yes" or "Yes, with changes" on the December 20th feature request survey
(datasheet/graphs here). This survey did have the ability to vote No and keep the status quo (there was also a vote on removing food in there that failed).

For these features, it would be unfair to allow them a second Yes/No vote followed by rejection just because I held off on serious discussion of them until after v1.0 was out. Thus, "I don't like any of the above" is the rejection option. If that gets the majority in runoff voting, I'll pull it off the implementables for v2.0 and run it through another discussion for the version afterward. If something sticks on that list of "Yes, with changes" for too long without a decision, then I'll consider taking it off. For things in the "Yes" category that weren't implemented, I will hold off on v2.0 until design is decided and solidified.

I mentioned before that I avoid voting in the polls to keep my own bias out of the fork (aside from programming workaround designs or Malmutate). However, I will admit I have never taken a class or studied proper poll formatting to limit/reduce bias as much as possible. I really don't want to make more of a job out of polling than it currently is to figure out how to rephrase questions/answers to disguise current behavior and avoid bias. If you are offering to take over, I'd be glad to hand it off as long as I can still host the poll itself in order to verify data integrity and validity.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Floodkiller posted:

Most of the recent polls and this current discussion have been focused in that direction because they fell under "Yes" or "Yes, with changes" on the December 20th feature request survey
(datasheet/graphs here). This survey did have the ability to vote No and keep the status quo (there was also a vote on removing food in there that failed).

For these features, it would be unfair to allow them a second Yes/No vote followed by rejection just because I held off on serious discussion of them until after v1.0 was out. Thus, "I don't like any of the above" is the rejection option. If that gets the majority in runoff voting, I'll pull it off the implementables for v2.0 and run it through another discussion for the version afterward. If something sticks on that list of "Yes, with changes" for too long without a decision, then I'll consider taking it off. For things in the "Yes" category that weren't implemented, I will hold off on v2.0 until design is decided and solidified.

I mentioned before that I avoid voting in the polls to keep my own bias out of the fork (aside from programming workaround designs or Malmutate). However, I will admit I have never taken a class or studied proper poll formatting to limit/reduce bias as much as possible. I really don't want to make more of a job out of polling than it currently is to figure out how to rephrase questions/answers to disguise current behavior and avoid bias. If you are offering to take over, I'd be glad to hand it off as long as I can still host the poll itself in order to verify data integrity and validity.
I honestly missed(or maybe forgot) this first poll and I'm sorry for assuming, that's my bad. This addresses my concerns, thank you. I'm happy to offer input but I think it's really cool that you're spending your personal time on a cool crawl fork for the thread - I have no desire to step on your toes.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Floodkiller posted:

You might have accidentally turned on crablang in your rcfile. Just find the line about fake languages and remove/comment it out (or replace it with butt lang or whatever).

Edit: Yeah, the CPO server has the tile turned to a fire crab and crablang on by default. Just paste in an rcfile from .21 (or whatever your old rcfile is) to disable it.

What's the default setting for those two options? Like my rc has butt language but commented out, is there like "lang=English" or something to turn crab language off? Likewise, I don't have any setting for a custom tile, so I'm not sure what to put to make it NOT a custom tile...

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 13, 2018

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Wolfechu posted:

What's the default setting for those two options? Like my rc has butt language but commented out, is there like "lang=English" or something to turn crab language off? Likewise, I don't have any setting for a custom tile, so I'm not sure what to put to make it NOT a custom tile...

"fake_lang = <language>(, <language>...)" sets the fake languages, with crab being one of them (and apparently the default setting on CPO). A quick hack (because I can't figure out the proper way to disable a default setting) is to either just have another fake_lang selected, or set something like "fake_lang = null" to error out the line (although you'll get an rcfile error on load each time you launch the game). "tile_player_tile = (normal | playermons | mons:<monster> | tile:<monster-tile>)" controls the player tile, which is defaulting to 'mons:fire crab'; the paperdoll is 'normal', otherwise you can define it using the other options ('playermons' is the monster tile for the species you chose).

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Floodkiller posted:

A quick hack (because I can't figure out the proper way to disable a default setting) is to either just have another fake_lang selected, or set something like "fake_lang = null"

Sounds like you need fake_lang=USA which removes all the 'u's (no, don't change anything else like artefact, just s/u//).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Perfect, thanks!

• Locked thread