Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Lameish question...

When we upgrade vSphere 5.5 -> 6.5 and migrate to their appliance, can we roll all the services into a single appliance or do they have to be broken up? I've been pouring through the documentation they provide and every looks like an external SSO on a Windows server migrates to an external a virtual appliance and the vCenter server migrates to a separate virtual appliance. Maybe I'm just reading the diagrams wrong, but they seem pretty drat clear about it. Currently, we have vCenter, SSO, and UM all split between three different 2K8 VM's because the original implementation needed to be as complicated as gently caress I guess. I was hoping they could all get rolled into one beefy appliance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

As of 6.5 the appliance is an all-in-one solution for most cases. vCenter/SSO and UM was added in with 6.5. It's the recommended path by VMware and way easier to maintain that the Windows stacks which they really half-rear end. If you need HA then you need to run 3 appliance instances: 1 primary, one standby, and one witness which chooses which is running as active. The good news is that doesn't require additional licensing like linked-mode in Windows did.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I like RapidRecovery over Veem from technical standpoint, it gets much better compression/dedupe ratios but is IOP heavy to do it. 10k SAS arrays or high-density flash for the storage array but you can get away with a fraction of the raw disk space/spindle count compared to what Veem needs in SATA/NL-SATA. Support was iffy with the Dell acquisition and spin-off, no idea how much of a headache it is to run these days. vCenter integration made life easier for most things.

I’ve never used Rapid Recovery/AppAssure, but this touches on one of my main issues with VEEAM, which is that I don’t want to have to think about the speeds and feeds of my backup targets. I also don’t want to have to think about how many proxy servers I need to create and what resources to give them and whether I want network based or San direct or some other backup type and so on.

I just want a tightly integrated hardware appliance that does all of that work for me so I can just point it at clients and then point it at a long term data store for archive, and be done with it. Bonus points if, life Rubrik, I don’t even have to create jobs and schedules, just define SLAs and dump VMs in them and let the software figure out how to spread the backup load.

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

hatelull posted:

Lameish question...

When we upgrade vSphere 5.5 -> 6.5 and migrate to their appliance, can we roll all the services into a single appliance or do they have to be broken up? I've been pouring through the documentation they provide and every looks like an external SSO on a Windows server migrates to an external a virtual appliance and the vCenter server migrates to a separate virtual appliance. Maybe I'm just reading the diagrams wrong, but they seem pretty drat clear about it. Currently, we have vCenter, SSO, and UM all split between three different 2K8 VM's because the original implementation needed to be as complicated as gently caress I guess. I was hoping they could all get rolled into one beefy appliance.

I'm almost positive the rule for this is that if it's external, it will stay external during the migration. VUM will be on the vCenter appliance, regardless of how the PSC/SSO one comes over.

As of 6.5 the appliance is an all-in-one solution for most cases. vCenter/SSO and UM was added in with 6.5. It's the recommended path by VMware and way easier to maintain that the Windows stacks which they really half-rear end. If you need HA then you need to run 3 appliance instances: 1 primary, one standby, and one witness which chooses which is running as active. The good news is that doesn't require additional licensing like linked-mode in Windows did.

Check the recommended topologies for vCenter 6.5 here, embedded PSC isn't the only choice (unless forced a certain way due to previous setup). Also, if you're looking at vCenter appliance HA, read through the VMware Validated Designs first (hint: in a ton of cases, the vCenter appliance HA capabilities aren't necessary, just "nice to have" for corner cases).

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Tev posted:

Check the recommended topologies for vCenter 6.5 here, embedded PSC isn't the only choice (unless forced a certain way due to previous setup). Also, if you're looking at vCenter appliance HA, read through the VMware Validated Designs first (hint: in a ton of cases, the vCenter appliance HA capabilities aren't necessary, just "nice to have" for corner cases).

For a single VCenter environment that isn’t expected to grow beyond that there’s basically no reason to do an external PSC.

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

For a single VCenter environment that isn’t expected to grow beyond that there’s basically no reason to do an external PSC.

Totally agreed, just making sure we know all the options available.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’ve never used Rapid Recovery/AppAssure, but this touches on one of my main issues with VEEAM, which is that I don’t want to have to think about the speeds and feeds of my backup targets. I also don’t want to have to think about how many proxy servers I need to create and what resources to give them and whether I want network based or San direct or some other backup type and so on.

I just want a tightly integrated hardware appliance that does all of that work for me so I can just point it at clients and then point it at a long term data store for archive, and be done with it. Bonus points if, life Rubrik, I don’t even have to create jobs and schedules, just define SLAs and dump VMs in them and let the software figure out how to spread the backup load.

RapidRecovery does a global dedupe on the entire repository (which you can keep tacking up to like 2k extents on to as you add storage), so you don't have the limitation of Veem only deduping against the data in the job which was a big complaint for me. By default you capture only incrementals on you clients on an hourly basis so you aren't scheduling backup windows over night and the amount of data transferred on those hourly jobs is very small so you don't see much impact on that end and you don't have to re-read the same blocks like you would in diff/full backup schedule. Then a nightly job runs on the server which consolidates the various snapshots down in to whatever retention window you configured (X days of hourlies, Y days of dailies, Z weeks of weeklies, etc). That got us hourly captures from all systems with a six month retention (I think my retention was 3 days of hourlies, 4 days of daily, 3 weeks of weekly, then 5 months of monthly) which mirror our previous tape rotation pretty well. That backed up about 500TB of logical data in to a 18TB 10kSAS array on a single server with no proxies. Then we had a second server off-site that we replicated to, but you can also push it to whatever cloud provider. We spec'd out something comparable on Veem with daily captures with a 6mo retention and it would have required on the order of 10x more formatted repository capacity to accomplish and at least a half-dozen servers. No thanks.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I missed my chance for auto migration to vsca when I moved* to vC 6.5 on Windows, didn't I?

*On, you know, _all_ the environments

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You could just make sure your hosts can be managed directly and rip vCenter down and start again :suicide:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm going to have to hand make a migration tool

For

Every

God drat

Linked Clone

or start using Persona with all the fun that comes with a sorta roaming profile

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thanks Ants posted:

You could just make sure your hosts can be managed directly and rip vCenter down and start again :suicide:

Horizon View adds an interesting twist.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Moey posted:

Horizon View adds an interesting twist.

I'm about to either become very good at horizon orchestration or at holding down liquor

DevNull please please tell me you guys are working on a 6.5 Win vC to 7.0 VSCA path :smithicide:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I have virtually unlimited access to wanova Mirage.

1) Push Mirage to linked clones in next update

2) Make new clones on vsca, run staggered recovery process on the day of cutover

3) :byoscience:

I am going to actually try this in test tomorrow, just to see what unforeseen horrors emerge in performance or what not. For starters, I need to goose sysprep...

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 9, 2018

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

RapidRecovery does a global dedupe on the entire repository (which you can keep tacking up to like 2k extents on to as you add storage), so you don't have the limitation of Veem only deduping against the data in the job which was a big complaint for me. By default you capture only incrementals on you clients on an hourly basis so you aren't scheduling backup windows over night and the amount of data transferred on those hourly jobs is very small so you don't see much impact on that end

I've inherited a Rapid Recovery environment in a rough state that doesn't give the impression of being capable of scaling to the sizes you mentioned. I'm wondering if you were protecting in-guest with the agent, or VMs at the hypervisor?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

I'm about to either become very good at horizon orchestration or at holding down liquor

DevNull please please tell me you guys are working on a 6.5 Win vC to 7.0 VSCA path :smithicide:

They undoubtedly will because the windows VCenter is going away and they will have to have some way to get the last people off of it without forcing them to do hack together their own migration scripts in a repeat of the 5.x days.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Jadus posted:

I've inherited a Rapid Recovery environment in a rough state that doesn't give the impression of being capable of scaling to the sizes you mentioned. I'm wondering if you were protecting in-guest with the agent, or VMs at the hypervisor?

Started with agent only back before VM snapshotting existed, then moved the majority of to VMware captures with agents needing db log truncation. It's memory, cpu, and iop heavy and the nightly jobs are critical. We had someone who didn't know what they were doing run it and completely trashed all 6 months of our backups. I wouldn't move it in to production until you have a very good idea of how the guts of it work, easy to screw up if you don't understand it.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They undoubtedly will because the windows VCenter is going away and they will have to have some way to get the last people off of it without forcing them to do hack together their own migration scripts in a repeat of the 5.x days.

I don't follow VC development much, but I would expect this to be the case. I can ask around today and get a better answer.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

DevNull posted:

I don't follow VC development much, but I would expect this to be the case. I can ask around today and get a better answer.

I seriously, deeply appreciate this :angel:

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Potato Salad posted:

I seriously, deeply appreciate this :angel:

So what I could find, 7.0 is far enough out that there isn't even an answer to this question yet. Based on the fact that you can migrate from 5.5 and 6.0 Windows VC to 6.5 the VC appliance, I would expect them to not dead end people at 6.5

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Deployed a new 6.5 ESXi host, had some weird errors, turned on SSH, then vCenter lost all connectivity to it. Going directly to the host's webpage instead of the vCenter webpage threw an "ERR_SSL_VERSION_INTERFERENCE" error, which I'd never seen before. Rebooted the host, vCenter could talk to it and I could get to the webpage. Turned SSH back on, got that error. Turned SSH off, the error went away.

What the gently caress.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Is there a thread for containerization/Kubernetes stuff? Or is this the place for it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There might be something over in https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=202

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

enraged_camel posted:

Is there a thread for containerization/Kubernetes stuff? Or is this the place for it?

We kind of talk about it in the devops thread and here and the working in IT thread, but maybe it’s time for it’s own?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Maybe someone here can check my results...

Setting up a new 2 host Hyper-V cluster. Each host will have a 2 processors with 8 cores each.

There will be 6 Windows server VMs, and I want the ability to move them between hosts as needed.

Everything I can find says I need 48 core licenses for 6 VMs of 2016 on a single host of those specifications. And if I want to run those VMs on a second host, I need to license them all over again, thus 96 cores.

Am I right on this?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
No.

Datacenter licensing covers the core count for your physical hosts, then lets you run unlimited server VMs on that hardware.

So 2 hosts, 16 cores each. 32 cores total.

Datacenter comes in 16 core packs, so you just need 2 datacenter licenses.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

stevewm posted:

Maybe someone here can check my results...

Setting up a new 2 host Hyper-V cluster. Each host will have a 2 processors with 8 cores each.

There will be 6 Windows server VMs, and I want the ability to move them between hosts as needed.

Everything I can find says I need 48 core licenses for 6 VMs of 2016 on a single host of those specifications. And if I want to run those VMs on a second host, I need to license them all over again, thus 96 cores.

Am I right on this?

Depending on your budget you may be better off with a Windows Server datacenter license for each core but in any case if you want to do live migration you need Software Assurance too

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I'm not sure if it still works this way still but with some low-density configurations it was better to license with enterprise which entitled you to 4 guest VMs per license.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

I'm not sure if it still works this way still but with some low-density configurations it was better to license with enterprise which entitled you to 4 guest VMs per license.

If we look at Microsoft official page (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/cloud-platform/windows-server-pricing) the standard license now covers only two vm, so up to three sets of standard licenses would be required for each host(Unless live migration is disabled). Depending on his vm layout it may be cheaper to just license win srv datacenter.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

if you want to do live migration you need Software Assurance too

From what I have been told, this is only true if each host is not fully licensed for the max amount of VMs you will ever run.

When using Standard, I have been told that if you license each host for the total amount of VMs you will ever run (in this case 6) then you can move VMs around as much as needed. This is also what I have managed to understand with reading the documentation from MS.. Since host #1 would be licensed for 6 VMs, and host #2 for 6 VMs, but we will never run more than 6 Windows VMs total, then we would be OK. The SA benefit would only apply if each host was only licensed for 4 VMs each, and I needed to move all the VMs to one host. Without SA you can do this once every 90 days, unless it is a hardware failure.

I was going with Standard because I cannot see any situation where we will ever run more then 6 Windows VMs, given what this cluster will be used for. Standard should be cheaper from what I can see. The break-even point for Datacenter is commonly stated as 13 VMs.

Since everyone I ask seems to have different interpretations on this (including some VARs!) , I figured I would ask.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 12, 2018

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

stevewm posted:

From what I have been told, this is only true if each host is not fully licensed for the max amount of VMs you will ever run.

When using Standard, I have been told that if you license each host for the total amount of VMs you will ever run (in this case 6) then you can move VMs around as much as needed. This is also what I have managed to understand with reading the documentation from MS.. Since host #1 would be licensed for 6 VMs, and host #2 for 6 VMs, but we will never run more than 6 Windows VMs total, then we would be OK. The SA benefit would only apply if each host was only licensed for 4 VMs each, and I needed to move all the VMs to one host. Without SA you can do this once every 90 days, unless it is a hardware failure.

I was going with Standard because I cannot see any situation where we will ever run more then 6 Windows VMs, given what this cluster will be used for. Standard should be cheaper from what I can see. The break-even point for Datacenter is commonly stated as 13 VMs.

Since everyone I ask seems to have different interpretations on this (including some VARs!) , I figured I would ask.

Hmm our VARs and Microsoft itself stated that you can migrate the vm every 90 days or have SA, making it kinda kludgy unless you lock the VM in place but as you said Microsoft position on the topic is very fluid. The latest virt licensing guide can be found here http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/D/4/3D42BDC2-6725-4B29-B75A-A5B04179958B/WindowsServer2016VirtualTech_VLBrief.pdf if you want to check the latest golden standard.
Dunno about your licensing status(business/gov/edu/etc.) but our Datacenter licenses costs about as two sets of standard licenses, a three set of standard might be more expensive. Check at least a couple of quotes before committing to standard.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

Hmm our VARs and Microsoft itself stated that you can migrate the vm every 90 days or have SA, making it kinda kludgy unless you lock the VM in place but as you said Microsoft position on the topic is very fluid. The latest virt licensing guide can be found here http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/D/4/3D42BDC2-6725-4B29-B75A-A5B04179958B/WindowsServer2016VirtualTech_VLBrief.pdf if you want to check the latest golden standard.
Dunno about your licensing status(business/gov/edu/etc.) but our Datacenter licenses costs about as two sets of standard licenses, a three set of standard might be more expensive. Check at least a couple of quotes before committing to standard.

I've seen that document... And I think a key line is this:

Microsoft posted:

For Windows Server software, except in a few cases, licenses may only be reassigned to new hardware after 90 days.
This, however, does not restrict the dynamic movement of virtual OSEs between licensed servers. As long as the
servers are licensed and each server individually does not run more instances than the number for which it is licensed,
you are free to use VMware vMotion and System Center Virtual Machine Manager to move virtual OSEs between
licensed servers at will.

Which is what I am basing my interpretation on.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

stevewm posted:

I've seen that document... And I think a key line is this:

Which is what I am basing my interpretation on.

I double checked the document(I won't deny going by memory rather than reading it before posting:shobon:), it looks like SA is no longer required for live migration. If the vm number is not going to increase, your license BOM looks fine. I checked one of our Microsoft resellers and the license breakpoint is currently six(after six sets of standard licenses it's cheaper to run Datacenter) if you wanted a exact number for future reference.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

I double checked the document(I won't deny going by memory rather than reading it before posting:shobon:), it looks like SA is no longer required for live migration. If the vm number is not going to increase, your license BOM looks fine. I checked one of our Microsoft resellers and the license breakpoint is currently six(after six sets of standard licenses it's cheaper to run Datacenter) if you wanted a exact number for future reference.

Thank you for the sanity check.

I had 2 VARs telling me one thing (what I had interpreted), and another telling me something different.

Grr.... Why do they have to make it so drat confusing.

The licensing for this project costs more than the hardware it will be running on. Needing 145 RDS User CALs really hurts...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Part of my desire to just run everything in :yaycloud: is to give up dealing with the world of endless dogshit that is MS licensing

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

stevewm posted:

Grr.... Why do they have to make it so drat confusing.

Because of the VARs. Insane licensing is kind of like "professional install only" A/V equipment. It's not actually about helping the customer, it's about keeping a role for another needless middleman.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

wolrah posted:

Because of the VARs. Insane licensing is kind of like "professional install only" A/V equipment. It's not actually about helping the customer, it's about keeping a role for another needless middleman.

Nah, Microsoft doesn’t give a poo poo about VARs, the licensing is the way it is because they determined that was the best way to maximize profit and push people towards Azure.

I don’t think any VAR actually likes Microsoft licensing being arcane bullshit because it generates a bunch of calls and meetings that aren’t billable. The margins are the same whether the licensing model is sane or not.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Nah, Microsoft doesn’t give a poo poo about VARs, the licensing is the way it is because they determined that was the best way to maximize profit and push people towards Azure.
But it was confusing before Azure was a thing, even going back to the days when Gates was still in charge. Beyond that I don't see how confusion is good for anyone other than BSA auditors. A straightforward scheme can still be profit-maximized in a mildly abusive way by bundling licenses in sufficiently large blocks that most companies end up buying more than they actually need. Hell, I'd imagine there are a lot of people who would happily pay more for licenses sold under a simple scheme.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I have a Fedora/Linux host running on a ThinkPad with a Windows 10 guest for Excel/Office. I’ve been using Excel more to the point where I just need to keep the Windows VM spun up all the time.

What options/settings can I change to make this VM experience as smooth as possible? This is running on a quad core Haswell i7. I’ve given it 2 cores so that the host has two dedicated cores still. I’ve also given it 8GB of RAM and the 3D video RAM is maxed out and 2D/3D acceleration are turned on. The most graphics intensive app I’d run is PowerPoint so do I really need those enabled?

I’m also not adverse to switching from VirtualBox to something else if the performance gain is trivially easy. Or also just switching from Windows 10 to 8.1 if that works out better too.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have a Fedora/Linux host running on a ThinkPad with a Windows 10 guest for Excel/Office. I’ve been using Excel more to the point where I just need to keep the Windows VM spun up all the time.

What options/settings can I change to make this VM experience as smooth as possible? This is running on a quad core Haswell i7. I’ve given it 2 cores so that the host has two dedicated cores still. I’ve also given it 8GB of RAM and the 3D video RAM is maxed out and 2D/3D acceleration are turned on. The most graphics intensive app I’d run is PowerPoint so do I really need those enabled?

I’m also not adverse to switching from VirtualBox to something else if the performance gain is trivially easy. Or also just switching from Windows 10 to 8.1 if that works out better too.

If it's a Windows 8 or 10 host i would suggest moving to the integrated hyper-v instance which is quite faster than virtualbox for Windows guests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

SlowBloke posted:

If it's a Windows 8 or 10 host i would suggest moving to the integrated hyper-v instance which is quite faster than virtualbox for Windows guests.

How do I do that? Wikipedia says Hyper-V is a Windows thing and I absolutely need a Linux host.

e: After reading about it I’m not sure if I absolutely need a Linux host. I do a lot of numerical/computational stuff, so it’s pretty much been Linux all the way down because I don’t want to recompile libraries/tools for different architectures, and also because all the computers I use are also Linux so it just makes everything easier.

But if I can run a Windows host with headless Fedora/Linux with zero performance hits while letting me develop MPI applications when I run them in the Linux VM then I guess that might work. But this also seems like a lot more work than asking if there were obvious settings that I could flip on/off to gain free performance for Excel, which I don’t even use for number crunching. I just want a lightweight Excel app, and LibreOffice is poo poo and Google Sheets and Office Excel Online are too slow.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 13, 2018