Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam

one time my friend and i discussed taking in a friendly stray cat and after that discussion he never came back i think he heard us and decided it was time to ramble on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanisher

alnilam posted:

one time my friend and i discussed taking in a friendly stray cat and after that discussion he never came back i think he heard us and decided it was time to ramble on

If I think that all strays are just ramblin' that's pretty cool.

When I was a teenager our cat left the house and didn't come back. We searched and searched, left food out on the back porch (which worked in the past), put up flyers, everything. My mom was really upset. I told her after a couple days that he was such a pretty cat that a family probably took him in. She smiled and said "you're probably right."

Thanks for reading this post

Robot Made of Meat

Zyla posted:

zyla still loves you, byob

BYOB still loves Zyla.

:glomp:

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Papa Was A Video Toaster

If a cat is outside it's devastating local bird populations.
Do with that what you will.

FluffieDuckie

If you can afford to get porch cat fixed please do that. While he’s wandering the streets he’s creating generations of feral kitties who will suffer

I would start talking to rescues. There are rescues who will let you foster a cat while they find them a home.

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

vanisher

FluffieDuckie posted:

If you can afford to get porch cat fixed please do that. While he’s wandering the streets he’s creating generations of feral kitties who will suffer

I would start talking to rescues. There are rescues who will let you foster a cat while they find them a home.

He was neutered. He probably didn't make it, I was just sharing a story about reframing negative thoughts. It was about 15+ years ago.

Sorry FD

Edit: lol jk... You were obviously talking about the other porchcat story

vanisher fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 9, 2018

Manifisto

Mourne posted:

So there's this porchcat that has been coming around the last few weeks. It's dead of winter here in the northeast, so my wife bought some cans of cat food for him and we've been giving him a meal outside when comes by. Except now he's coming in the house and having his dinner and sometimes hanging out to warm up. That's OK, but I see a clear pattern here of escalating cat visits. Both in frequency and duration. This needs to come to an end for a multitude of reasons.

I've got two large dogs that I keep baby gated in the other room while porchcat eats and warms up, but the bottom line is that porchcat can't stay here.

I'm wildly allergic to cats (think daily Benadryl and an albuterol inhaler if he covers my place in dander) and if I pet him I have to wash my hands immediately, and even then I still get hives.

Plus I don't know his medical history -- he's not fixed and I don't know what (if anything) he could transmit to my dogs.

I was looking into no-kill shelters, but my wife thinks he's better off living as an outdoor cat. And apparently, no-kill shelters are a lie and they all euthanize the cats after so long. I think it's only a matter of time until he gets hit by a car or taken down by a predator. There are bears around here.

I can't in good conscience just ignore him, he's not a dick.

Halp BYOB. What do?

okay, relative has okayed the following answer:

me posted:

hmm, while I'm not at all an expert I have learned a few useful things about the lives of cats from the kitten lady. she's on youtube doing generally good things for cats, esp kittens, and is pretty involved in education..

one thing I would say is, you can't always jump to the conclusion that this is a stray cat. some "owned" cats are actually very free ranging and will line up a number of suckers who will give them extra pets and food and whatnot. so maybe porchcat is indeed a stray but maybe not, just taking him to a shelter or whatever could be separating him from someone who cares for him.

one thing you can do for sure to help him and the kittens he won't have is to make sure he's spayed/neutered. you would be a good hearted person to try to take him to a vet for this procedure (or to check if he's had it already). they can check for chips and other signs that he may be an owned cat. some orgs will spay/neuter for free or very low cost.

I cannot tell from your photo but if an ear is clipped in a very neat/surgical manner, this is a sign that this is a feral cat who has been sterilized and released. this is normally done only for cats that are clearly not well socialized enough to be pets (I think). but your cat does not sound feral.

the outdoors is a somewhat dangerous place for cats, but they are actually fairly hardy. still there are things you could do for kitty short of giving him a full time space in your home. these are some suggestions, just as an example:

https://www.petmd.com/cat/seasonal/evr_ct_feral_cats_winter

but the other side of the coin is, your cat might be a former pet who is on his own but would really benefit from a loving owner. if you can't do that for him that's fine, it's really the responsible thing not to take on pets you can't care for properly.

she adds:

quote:

The hardest thing to overcome in his situation is his perception of no kill shelters, if indeed, taking the porchcat to a shelter ends up being the plan.

In a lot of states, areas, shelters do routinely euthanize but a truly no-kill shelter does not. Animals stay as long as it takes for them to find their forever home. No kill shelters, however, decide what animals they will accept or not as opposed to "open shelters" that take any animal that is brought to them no matter what their condition or circumstances. We will take care of them for as long as it takes to find their forever homes as well. When they have health problems, we do everything possible to make them well but sometimes their conditions are such that euthanization is the most humane thing to do. We battle with the misconception that we are "killers' without understanding we don't pick and choose the healthy/adoptable ones. So, I would encourage his looking for an open shelter and to read reviews to be sure he is comfortable with the organization.

Before taking that route, I would advise him to call local shelters (no kill and open) to see if anyone has reported a lost cat. We have a lost pet service where people can post lost and call in about lost critters. If the cat is friendly and he is willing, as you mentioned, he could take him to a vet to see if he's chipped. He could even go to a shelter and that way if the cat isn't chipped, they can put him in their lost critter service. I'd also put up posters ASAP as you're spot on that it could be a free roaming pet who is very missed. The fact that he's comfortable in their home would be a good indication that porchcat had a home at some point.

ty nesamdoom!

Mourne

by Athanatos

Wow -- thank you very much for this. This is great information.

I'll get a plan together tomorrow and start calling around.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

take the moon

by sebmojo
keep us posted, porchcat story deserves a happy ending

e: literally keep us posted, with posts

alnilam

i love porchcats

alnilam

i want to pet them and give them a warm place to hang out

Papa Was A Video Toaster

I like birbs more than cattes.

alnilam

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Ilike those to

Manifisto

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I really like birbs too and wish that cats were kept almost exclusively as indoor cats. best for all concerned, and darwinism will ensure that the smart mouses and such steer clear of the patrolled areas.

ty nesamdoom!

City of Glompton

hello byob hello bluedeanie hello zyla

Papa Was A Video Toaster

City of Glompton posted:

Hello city of Glompton.
I think glomps are bad and don't respect bodily autonomy.

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
i need a midnight burg

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

BoldFrankensteinMir

I keep reading it as PorscheCat and thinking 'to heck with that spoiled rich cat, he can afford a hotel'

bean mom

City of Glompton posted:

i love the glompton!!! :glomp: :toot:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Manifisto posted:

I really like birbs too and wish that cats were kept almost exclusively as indoor cats. best for all concerned, and darwinism will ensure that the smart mouses and such steer clear of the patrolled areas.
I like to think that birds that get caught by cats are just tired of life and want to end it all. I mean birds have huge peripheral vision and can fly, and can sit on high up things like wires or very thin branches that cats can't walk on, it seems like they could easily avoid cats if they really wanted to.

Koishi Komeiji

roomforthetuna posted:

I like to think that birds that get caught by cats are just tired of life and want to end it all. I mean birds have huge peripheral vision and can fly, and can sit on high up things like wires or very thin branches that cats can't walk on, it seems like they could easily avoid cats if they really wanted to.

Yeah, my cat has killed at least 5 birds in her life and she is fat and stupid there is no way a bird in their right mind would get killed by her. Gotta be some kind of Jonestown situation except with birds.

Jaded Burnout

I often have about a dozen birds and at least one of three neighbourhood cats chilling in my garden at any one time. The birds sit in the bushes and wait for the cats to leave so they can go foraging.

Macnult

My cat is indoor only and if he finds a mouse he just plays with it until he gets bored and lets the mouse go.
Compared to my last cat who loved killing things and scrapping with foxes and untrained neighborhood dogs.

Macnult

David Attenborough: trained neighborhood dog? an incredibly hostile stare down settles the score.

alnilam

My hens intimidated the heck out of a cat the other day lol

hens were out of their run enjoying the yard
street cat was watching them curiously which was cute, hens paid it zero mind
street cat started getting that stalky look, was 3 feet away and they still didn't care, but as soon as he crossed the 2 foot threshold suddenly pepper ran at him like COME AT ME BRO and the cat turned around and ran so fast it stumbled during the turnaround

Jaded Burnout

Nice work hens. So you're saying the cat was.. a chicken?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Munchables posted:

Yogurt is NOT real

this is a fact.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

FluffieDuckie posted:

yes please, and if there's a cost issue or you can't find a rescue in your area, lemme know and i'll help hook you up with services. cattes and dogges are magical creatures and deserve to be fixed so they have a chance to live fuller, healthier lives without making thousands of other babbies, even if the cattes are feral and sometimes the dogs aren't good at peopleing.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

kid stress is getting to me, byob, so i am not posting much right now. things blew up and O's in rehab downstate, her tox screen was a mess. opiates are bad. i am sad, but it's a thing that she wanted to do and agreed to do, and i want her healthy and happy and not having to go through all the dumbfuck bullshit i've done in my life. so her dad signed off on it and transported her there, and she's there for three to six months.

boyfriend is doing well, though. my car will be here within the month, i'm done with portland and am pretending it doesn't exist now, and i never have to go back, ever, if i don't want to. and i don't, so i won't. bless.

i'm gonna go drink coffee on my deck and just enjoy the fact that it's warm enough for me to have coffee on the deck, and then i'm gonna pette the h*ck out of jekyll and the neighbor cat who is currently sunning himself in the living room sunbeams while we catsit.

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

Munchables posted:

Yogurt is NOT real

:agreed:

:coffeepal:
Coffee is real.

hamjobs, please give cattes extra pets for me.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Good luck Hamjobs! We have your back!

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Is sour cream real?

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
how can sour cream be real if onions aren't real

Thanks to HotSoapyBeard for the sig image!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Good luck Hamjobs! We have your back!

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Olive! posted:

how can sour cream be real if onions aren't real

How can onions be green if they aren't real?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

what even IS an onion? seems like a gov't conspiracy with the aliens to get you to eat hosed up tulips if you ask me

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

catte update: jekyll is mad at me because i made him take medicine so he's licking my hair and meowing into my scalp as hard as he can because he wants to eat my brain. this is fine.

also catte update: jekyll is out of the cone and is currently mad that the cone is NOT on him, because like all my animals, they somehow enjoy being weaponised radar dishes.

TOOT BOOT

lol no kill shelters are definitely not a scam, the only catch is they don't have unlimited space because animals only leave when they're adopted or die naturally

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
yeah, most no kill shelters are legit. the real issue comes with hoarders and so on, but that's why you want to visit the shelter first.

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Petcos and PetsMarts are decidedly hit or miss as far as customer service, but they can always point you to real no kill shelters near you