Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Running around as a colonizing Japan generally doing Japan things. Like not being able to do poo poo on the asian mainland, and getting attacked by Ming.

I ended up defending Japan, Taiwan(they attacked over Taiwan), and Brunei from Ming by boating around and repeatedly stackwiping the poo poo out of them with a 20infantry/4cav stack :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

How the gently caress is the Papacy's fleets of transports and Light ships completely clowning on my fleets of Heavy Ships? I've lost forty heavies to them losing like five Lights, across four battles where I had ten Heavies in my fleet and they have ppbbbt 17 Lights and 50 transports?

edit: LOL and now they are going around sinking 100% of my 1x Heavy 25x Lightship fleets with the same 17 lightships of their own :allears:

You're basically not killing them fast enough before your heavies lose morale and then get cut up by the rest of the fleet. If the 40 heavies were in one fleet then it'll do a lot more damage to the point where the morale hits from losing ships causes the Papacy's fleet to lose morale in a cascade.

tl;dr Don't split fleets and don't be outnumbered.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There's also naval engagement width to consider. By default it's 25, and each heavy ship takes 3, so if you've got 10 heavies only 8 of them will actually be fighting. I don't know what tech level you're at, but let's say DIP 15 so that's 480 firepower and 240 hull points. On the pope's side, he can squeeze all 17 light ships and 8 transports at once for a total of 399 firepower and 348 hull points. They have less firepower but more hull points than you, and their large reserve of transports can easily beat your weakened heavies once they get on the line.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 9, 2018

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Drill your boats.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Is there any info on how the new content pack is going to handle the English civil war? In the current game it just spawns a bunch of noble rebels, right?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Node posted:

Drill your boats.

That sounds counterproductive.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

MrBling posted:

That sounds counterproductive.

Next thing you know people will be lighting fires below decks hoping it'll make the ship go faster

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Look, the problem with boats is when they fill up with water and sink, right?

So you just need to drill some drainage holes to let that water back out!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

as soon as one ship is destroyed the others take a morale hit and it snowballs from there

so micro your naval battles and look for a ship that's about to die and retreat before you lose all of them. also never use galleys

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Seems like a bit of a design flaw if losing a 12-gun galley gives the same morale hit as losing a 40-gun carrack.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

This was a fun run

Started off just going for Abu Bakr II's Ambition. Got it fairly quickly but I was enjoying the game so I said gently caress it, let's make it African Power And Also A Sun God But As Mali. The game ended up having a cool flow of bosses - Songhai in the early game, then the Iberians and Britain mid game, and finally a series of apocalyptic hellwars with the Ottomans in the end game. Fortunately the Europeans showed little interest in colonising Africa so aside from a couple of outposts I was left to consolidate it for myself and get caught up on tech before challenging them for South America.

Europe itself got a bit weird with very little intervention on my part (just fighting the Iberians to kick them out of South America and Morocco). France got fuckin rolled - England not only never lost its holdings in Northern France, it actually expanded them, and Spain and Swole Protestant Austria both took substantial areas of France too. Almost the entire HRE went Protestant but no-one else. The Papal States took over almost all of Italy and a bit of Southeast France. The Commonwealth never formed and Poland and Lithuania got eaten by Sweden, Russia, and Fuckin Hungary of all people. Who later got eaten by the Ottomans as usual. Riga survived and got kinda big. Not in Europe but Kathiawar went nuts which I hadn't seen before.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Red Bones posted:

Is there any info on how the new content pack is going to handle the English civil war? In the current game it just spawns a bunch of noble rebels, right?

The current game it's a disaster that ticks up from a couple conditions involving the English monarchy. You can choose to support Cromwell and become a republican dictatorship or go against him and get rid of parliament. The disaster does cause a bunch of noble rebels to start popping up though.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

here's a good tool to use when trying to spawn institutions through development:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DFV5oZ5OG0sS7gfNK1XgvC-RmfUbTMqO2bVMes0YHmU/edit#gid=0

found it on reddit

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
wait if I mothball forts does all the garrison manpower just disappear?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

fuf posted:

wait if I mothball forts does all the garrison manpower just disappear?

Garrisons don't use manpower. They just sort of spring forth from the ether.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

AnoHito posted:

Garrisons don't use manpower. They just sort of spring forth from the ether.

ok phew, thanks.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

There's also naval engagement width to consider. By default it's 25, and each heavy ship takes 3, so if you've got 10 heavies only 8 of them will actually be fighting. I don't know what tech level you're at, but let's say DIP 15 so that's 480 firepower and 240 hull points. On the pope's side, he can squeeze all 17 light ships and 8 transports at once for a total of 399 firepower and 348 hull points. They have less firepower but more hull points than you, and their large reserve of transports can easily beat your weakened heavies once they get on the line.
Yeah I'm lazy and this information is not conveniently placed in the game's UI (that I have found). That still doesnt explain how 17 of their outdated Light ships plus zounds transports beat an up-to-date Heavy and 25 Lights.

Agean90 posted:

how many 0's is the """random""" number generator giving you during these battle op
All of them, apparently.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

Yeah I'm lazy and this information is not conveniently placed in the game's UI (that I have found). That still doesnt explain how 17 of their outdated Light ships plus zounds transports beat an up-to-date Heavy and 25 Lights.

Unless you give us a screenshot of the battle or some more detail from some other source, I don’t think you’re going to find any useful information here.

That being said, keep in mind light ships have the low hull strength (lower than transports if memory serves).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Another thing is if you're behind on mil tech, particularly at a level where you get a huge boost to artillery fire like 16 or 22, it could make a huge difference. Ship damage is affected by your artillery fire damage.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

MuffinsAndPie posted:

What do you all do once you've vassalized your majority of HRE elector princes and become emperor? Do you just release them leaving them pissed off, do you annex them leaving everyone pissed off, or do you just let them stay your vassals leaving a draining imperial authority? I'm playing as Saxony and Austria actually managed 4 reforms by 1550, so my plans quickly changed from conquer all neighbors to just gunning for revoke the privileges.

Keep the electors as vassals. To get more authority, get into wars with the HRE members and punch them until more countries come out, to increase the total number of princes.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

How the gently caress is the Papacy's fleets of transports and Light ships completely clowning on my fleets of Heavy Ships? I've lost forty heavies to them losing like five Lights, across four battles where I had ten Heavies in my fleet and they have ppbbbt 17 Lights and 50 transports?

edit: LOL and now they are going around sinking 100% of my 1x Heavy 25x Lightship fleets with the same 17 lightships of their own :allears:

Make sure you haven't run out of sailors. If you have, your ships are probably going around with less than full health.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Fister Roboto posted:

Another thing is if you're behind on mil tech, particularly at a level where you get a huge boost to artillery fire like 16 or 22, it could make a huge difference. Ship damage is affected by your artillery fire damage.

Whoah really? I had no idea. Is it just the raw number or does artillery combat ability matter too?

Anyway, for those battles, are you really composing all those fleets with a single heavy? I know they look like hot poo poo but that's practically a rounding error on the dice rolls if you're dealing with full stack navies otherwise. Why did you not have your 40 heavies grouped into a few proper battlefleets? Or do you have 40 individual trade fleets or something strange? I'm kind of confused.

And outdatedness doesn't matter for ships all that much, especially for non-heavies. Sure it's helpful to keep up to date but a few not-even-that-bad dice rolls will nullify any advantage on that front. If your cutting edge war-fleet of 40 heavies that you'd split into a few full stacks was getting resoundingly whooped by Papal fleets that don't have a single warship in them it's one thing, but from what it sounds like you're pitting trade/transport fleets with a single heavy in them against another trade/transport fleet.

Also are you really sure they don't have any galleys anyway? The AI, especially on the Mediterranean, spams the things like crazy.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 9, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

According to the wiki, it's just artillery fire: https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Naval_warfare#Combat_statistics

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Fister Roboto posted:

What the gently caress I've played this dumb game for like 500 hour why am I only just hearing about his

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Can we have it so that the war leader can always control who gets control of occupied provinces? I'm really sick of my "allies" sniping provinces that I want to take for myself.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Not the Messiah posted:

What the gently caress I've played this dumb game for like 500 hour why am I only just hearing about his

I always understand easily why I've lost an army battle, but never understand anything ever about naval battles in this game. It's the 2nd worst thing right now behind all the different bars i'm filling to 100

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Senor Dog posted:

I always understand easily why I've lost an army battle, but never understand anything ever about naval battles in this game. It's the 2nd worst thing right now behind all the different bars i'm filling to 100
This is why I was so annoyed yesterday. I probably forgot or missed one tiny factor but the UI is so counter-intuitive and/or just plain lacking, plus there is no documentation in-game for me to reference, so all I had was frustration.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

420 Gank Mid posted:

Next thing you know people will be lighting fires below decks hoping it'll make the ship go faster

Napoleon was, secretly, the worlds dumbest person ever born.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Fister Roboto posted:

Can we have it so that the war leader can always control who gets control of occupied provinces? I'm really sick of my "allies" sniping provinces that I want to take for myself.

noooooo don't take my province sniping

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

A real "ally" wouldn't begrudge their friends taking the territory an entire generation of their young men died to capture in the war their so-called "friend" started :colbert:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

marking anything you care about as a "vital interest" helps with province sniping

and after that, well, i mean if the ai wants it and you call them in and they get there first it's only fair they get the occupation isn't it

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Exactly. EU4 is ultimately a realpolitik simulator and that's what sets it apart from the likes of Civ and Total War. Don't complain when the AI realpolitiks. Alliances are never about friendships, such things don't exist for states, or at least didn't in the game's time period, and arguably still don't today. They're mutually convenient arrangements usually driven by a shared rivalry. Each state is out to look after number one.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 10, 2018

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
“A thousand of our guys got to Sevilla before your 34k did so we own it now if you negotiate for it in a peace and there is no way we could negotiate a transfer to you” is not an accurate realpolitik simulator.

“Oh by the way, we know you want it but since we occupied it but don’t want it you can’t negotiate for it at all” is really, really not an accurate realpolitik simulator.

In general EU would benefit from much more comprehensive province swapping and peace making capabilities. Much of that era had these wars that ended with complex peace deals where both sides transferred land to the other let alone intricate multiparty arrangements. Assuming Paradox could work out the AI and UI for that. It’s a hard set of problems so I don’t see it coming anytime soon.

But let’s not pretend it’s realism.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 10, 2018

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Wait, are you telling me that I can't ask for land AND give up land in a deal??

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Prav posted:

marking anything you care about as a "vital interest" helps with province sniping

and after that, well, i mean if the ai wants it and you call them in and they get there first it's only fair they get the occupation isn't it

Yeah I always do that. But then while I'm distracted elsewhere (usually halfway around the world sieging down an OPM), my enemy takes back the province, and then my ally beelines to take it back for themselves. Then for some strange reason, my enemy never seems to take back provinces that are occupied by my ally.

The best part is that this happens in wars where I call allies in with favors.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I wish that there wasn't such a tight restriction on who can form Rum, it would make sense if it could be formed by Iranian cultures (much like the Persia decision it would change your primary culture to Turkish) or at the very least Azeris and Turkomen.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

It is 1662. My Manpower cap is 405k. I get the feeling that if I take Quantity I could probably get the "Over a Million" achievement. I wonder if I could do it without (assuming I will continue to take and state more land and invest excess mil points in manpower)...

edit: ahaha I just noticed that I dunked on Portugal so hard their colonial nations are invading them :allears:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
You probably can, but quantity's manpower idea is the very first one you unlock, so you could just grab that one idea and then refund it after you get the achievement without losing much.

Just remember you need to actually have the million dudes, not just the capacity to have them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

You probably can, but quantity's manpower idea is the very first one you unlock, so you could just grab that one idea and then refund it after you get the achievement without losing much.

Just remember you need to actually have the million dudes, not just the capacity to have them.
Thank you for the reminder about both things. I've had no problems lately staying near cap, and with the Nobles estate and Slacken Standards I'm sure I could get up over the line if my capacity gets there.

I've been sitting with just the first Exploration idea unlocked so I could colonize a bunch of the empty spaces in Africa and whatnot (I'm incredibly rich so I just have 4 or 5 colonies going at one time despite only having one colonist). Going to drop that soon and maybe I'll just grab that first Quantity idea...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

To follow up on what Fister Roboto is saying...
Commonwealth is at war with Russia and Sweden; they are on the offensive in Russia and have a good two dozen provinces occupied in Russia.
I declare war on Commonwealth to take advantage of the distraction. Then this happens:

You have got to be kidding me. They just walk through the whole country because the AI is bad at forts. If I want to conquer those provinces now I have to go to war with Russia+Sweden OR wait for their war to end. Its horseshit AI dickmoves. Its also hilarious, but.... gently caress, man, thats shits annoying!

edit: and just to be clear, my mission and wargoal is to conquer Halicz!

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 10, 2018