Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Range is more likely to benefit slow firing weapons really because its entire benefit is in alpha strike capability, so you want maximum damage in the first salvo to destroy as many craft as possible with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm less interested in the range and more interested in the ability to rapidly redeploy my fleet in a version that significantly increases the importance of speed since you now have to slowboat across systems to get to each jump point.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

OwlFancier posted:

Range is more likely to benefit slow firing weapons really because its entire benefit is in alpha strike capability, so you want maximum damage in the first salvo to destroy as many craft as possible with it.

Alternatively, rate of fire could benefit long range weapons by providing them with more firepower in their already large windows. Point defense and anti-fighter weapons could benefit if they are overkilling their targets, especially if they're acting as a screening force for your slower ships and the +10% range would help them hit oncoming targets and any that pass them.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Lol at not considering No Retreat the best, you get a huge bonus to the best stat and your ships fight to the death instead of running like cowards

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

turn off the TV posted:

You need to take into account that each weapon fit on each hull is going to have individual range and fire rate stats, and it's extremely difficult to figure out how to translate hypothetical DPS into an actual game. A weapon with 50% extra ROF is still going to have 0 ROF if it isn't in range of its target, so even short range, rapid fire weapons could see significant benefit in fleet combat with an extra 10% range. With the addition of combat computers affecting the ranges and movement patterns of individual ships I don't know if there's going to be an easy way of saying what benefits will or won't be worthwhile.

Sure, but for the purposes of figuring out if range is worth it, the only question you REALLY need to answer is "Can you do enough damage before the enemy comes into range to make a difference?" The figures given there are perfectly spherical cows in a vacuum, yeah, but they still give a reasonable idea of about how much damage you need to inflict to make a difference, and empirically my own experience suggests that no, that's not what's happening right now.

Agreed that the update with all the stuff it adds will throw off any calculations we might make about what's happening now, though - which is why I explicitly said that exact thing in the post you quoted. All of these are purely trying to figure out how much range is worth in the CURRENT build.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm less interested in the range and more interested in the ability to rapidly redeploy my fleet in a version that significantly increases the importance of speed since you now have to slowboat across systems to get to each jump point.

With the changes to war exhaustion, I can see Defense in Depth being super-useful to a defensively-minded player with good chokepoints and no territorial ambitions on neighboring states. Fortify your chokepoints, park your fleets in them, and it doesn't matter how fast the enemy is because they still need to fight through you, and it doesn't matter that you're slower than they are because you don't need to move. With better actual combat power come the clash, you can inflict more damage on the enemy and more WE, enough to force them to give up their war.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Ms Adequate posted:

Lol at not considering No Retreat the best, you get a huge bonus to the best stat and your ships fight to the death instead of running like cowards

Yeah, I definitely plan on making frequent use of it

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tomn posted:

With the changes to war exhaustion, I can see Defense in Depth being super-useful to a defensively-minded player with good chokepoints and no territorial ambitions on neighboring states. Fortify your chokepoints, park your fleets in them, and it doesn't matter how fast the enemy is because they still need to fight through you, and it doesn't matter that you're slower than they are because you don't need to move. With better actual combat power come the clash, you can inflict more damage on the enemy and more WE, enough to force them to give up their war.

Still gotta fill the supremacy tree though, which might be weird. It makes it more like "for empires who are sorta defensive, but still warlike enough to go full Supremacy".

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing as the primary benefit. We don't know how slow it'll be to ship fleets around, but I could easily see that saving a few months worth of travel time in every war, if not more.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Pigbuster posted:

Still gotta fill the supremacy tree though, which might be weird. It makes it more like "for empires who are sorta defensive, but still warlike enough to go full Supremacy".

Wiz has thought of this:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/961618605275336706

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is pretty big news. Local defense ships?? How will they be organized? Just like any old fleet?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

This is pretty big news. Local defense ships?? How will they be organized? Just like any old fleet?

That's been around for a long time.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Baronjutter posted:

Doesn't engines cost a pittance of power? Which they're getting rid of anyway?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah I don't understand the point unless this is something attached to a station like a defense platform that doesn't impact your fleet cap. Like a station could have "0/20 local fleet cap".

edit: He's doing a "never leave the home system" challenge. Still I think the idea of local defensive ships being a starbase attachment would be cool. Like adding hangers for fighters but each hanger is ~5 local cap.

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 8, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Presumably they should be able to use FTL gates at least. The current balance actually I think does slightly improve the power available to ships using wormholes because the wormhole "drive" doesn't use power.

You could make them a fair bit cheaper perhaps.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

binge crotching posted:

That's been around for a long time.

I couldn't believe this, so I went into my most current game, designed a couple ships without FTL and then build them.

Mind is officially blown. I honestly never thought this kind of thing was possible. I guess I should just have tried it. Instead of blindly assuming the game wouldn't let me finalize designs without FTL-drive. :shepface:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TBH supremacy is always useful anyway given that it makes you more killy and you will inevitably have to either kill something or have enough fleet power to deter other people from killing you, but it's nice to have an overt defence focus.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

edit: He's doing a "never leave the home system" challenge.

Going to be real curious to see how far it makes it. Seems like it's a big roll of the dice on what he gets for starting neighbors.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well he picked a 25 tile gaia world start which... is pretty powerful I should think.

Also this interests me:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/961669568744841217

You can build starports somewhere other than around the star??

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

OwlFancier posted:

Well he picked a 25 tile gaia world start which... is pretty powerful I should think.

Also this interests me:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/961669568744841217

You can build starports somewhere other than around the star??

Looking at how the planet is lit, I suppose the sun could be just off the lower left there.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Yeah I don't understand the point unless this is something attached to a station like a defense platform that doesn't impact your fleet cap. Like a station could have "0/20 local fleet cap".

edit: He's doing a "never leave the home system" challenge. Still I think the idea of local defensive ships being a starbase attachment would be cool. Like adding hangers for fighters but each hanger is ~5 local cap.

Having a local fleet cap attached to a station would be pretty cool. Especially with the ability to auto-refill depleted fleets it would let you have small local garrisons that might not be very strong, but would at least be enough to fight off pirates and so on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is, but I mean, still it's further away than a frontier outpost would be which is nice because I hate fighting directly next to the star. I'm hoping for just a 1 per system but place them anywhere rule, or at least a wide area around the star where you can choose.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fintilgin posted:

Looking at how the planet is lit, I suppose the sun could be just off the lower left there.

It is. He shows another screenshot like two posts down in the twitter thread

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Splicer posted:

We know :ssh: but planet-only tile wrapping would be a neat bit of flavour as well as a bit of a boost to small planets since side-planting your colony drop is pretty common with them.

You mean removal of flavour :v:

The tile map is a representation of usefulness of habitable/useful space, with edge tiles indicating isolated or otherwise marginal areas where transport networks are less efficient.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
are slave armies objectively lovely? i love the idea of genetically engineering a super-strong nerve-stapled warrior race to turn into masses of slave warriors, but should i instead turn them into some other armies?

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

yeah, i'd like if these were just local defense ships scrambled from defense stations as soon as an enemy enters the system and gives chase. and upgrading stations to increase fleet capacity would also be cool.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Fututor Magnus posted:

are slave armies objectively lovely? i love the idea of genetically engineering a super-strong nerve-stapled warrior race to turn into masses of slave warriors, but should i instead turn them into some other armies?

Armies have different stats but it doesn’t really matter. Just affects how many you have to bring to the fight. Transporting 1 army around isn’t any more effort than transporting 30. So, the answer is really do whatever the hell you want to.*

* For the next two weeks. The 2.0 update is changing how ground combat works, including by adding combat width. Too early to say what will be good, but presumably there will be more emphasis on high-quality troops.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I am going to enjoy playing Space Japan with that No Retreat doctrine...now I just need to figure out a way to turn all my strikecraft into ... strikecraft? :downsrim:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Fututor Magnus posted:

Slave armies are 1) cheap 2) fast to make. They own.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Enigmatic Engineering seems like core cost increase idea in EUIV. Not something you'd ever want to waste a slot on (outside of maybe multiplayer?), and just irritating on enemies.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
I can't really play on Iron Man because the late-game lag eventually gets so bad that I have to use the ticks_per_turn console command to speed it up.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Yeah troop quality matters for bugger all. Bombard a planet down to 0 so the defenders take extra damage then just flood them with more troops than they could possibly ever hope to deal with.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I believe, by definition, it is they who are owned,

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Is it possible to build an army of genetically engineered human salve soldiers/pops and play as Wallace Corporation from Blade Runner? :D

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

WMain00 posted:

Is it possible to build an army of genetically engineered human salve soldiers/pops and play as Wallace Corporation from Blade Runner? :D

Syncretic evolution civic, I suppose!

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Meh maybe I'll just do it with robots.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Fintilgin posted:

Enigmatic Engineering seems like core cost increase idea in EUIV. Not something you'd ever want to waste a slot on (outside of maybe multiplayer?), and just irritating on enemies.

Well, if you're playing a tall empire hyperfocused on tech, I could kinda see a point to not allowing a larger but lower-teched empire to catch up via salvage, which should pop as long as you lose ships, win or lose, right?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Milky Moor posted:

Syncretic evolution civic, I suppose!
The prole-esque trait being forced on you is dumb and I hate it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I know it's a few months old, but where is this from? One of the Stellaris dev streams?

Relevant Tangent posted:

Let me tell you the story of Fronds of Gold. Even as a sprout they were smart. Once a season had passed and they were in full bloom it was obvious they were the smartest being on the planet. Then they were taken by aliens. The aliens had flying vessels, but even they weren't as smart as FoG. The aliens had FoG help a giant sphere calculate infinity and create a new Universe. They had FoG examine an impossible ceramic teapot floating in the corona of a sun. FoG raised two species to sentience. Eventually. FoG was elected leader of the aliens, and used their power to raise their own species into space. FoG outlived three generations of his adopted people, led them through multiple wars, and ultimately died surrounded by four species who cherished their wisdom and kindness.

It's amazing :3:

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Probably just a game that Relevant Tangent played.

Is it weird that my first reaction to this was ”huh, pops not increasing tradition cost anymore will probably speed up the first couple of traditions significantly”? I mean, you’re probably not expanding much before getting at least the first one, which now costs 56 instead of 72 at the start of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Wiz is tweeting about his current playthrough, showing off a buffed Enigmatic Engineering:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/961725622564290560

+2 to sensor range rather than +1. Would much rather it reduced opponents' ability to see you rather than the other way round - would be more in keeping and a genuinely game-changing perk.

• Locked thread