Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
Are wars still just "smash your megafleet into the enemy megafleet"? Cause if not, y'all are lyin to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

this game is fun and bad

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Marcus Garvey posted:

Are wars still just "smash your megafleet into the enemy megafleet"? Cause if not, y'all are lyin to me

Combat and diplomacy are still shallow check back after next big expansion. Wiz and crew are basically making stellaris 2 with it with big overhauls.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Marcus Garvey posted:

Have a look at the developer diary for the next update:

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Marcus Garvey posted:

"This game fun yet?" is not exactly a lot to base an answer on champ

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Marcus Garvey posted:

This game fun yet?
Nah, you should stay away from it(and this thread)

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh man, I didn't think you could just steal enemy megastructures by taking the system they're in. What happens if you take a Megastructure you already have, does it delete it or do you get two?

Yes you can totally steal other people's megastructures to have multiple of them.

In my last game I had three Dyson spheres. One I'd built, a damaged one I'd repaired, and one I'd stolen from some other guy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Rad.

Question, can you theoretically lock down an enemy doomstack by sending infinite corvettes at the system they're in one by one, thereby resetting their FTL countdown? Or is there something to prevent that sort of exploitation?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Rad.

Question, can you theoretically lock down an enemy doomstack by sending infinite corvettes at the system they're in one by one, thereby resetting their FTL countdown? Or is there something to prevent that sort of exploitation?

they could just split off 1 cruiser and have that deal with the corvettes if that ever happened i guess.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Roobanguy posted:

they could just split off 1 cruiser and have that deal with the corvettes if that ever happened i guess.

However, I doubt the AI is smart enough to do this. It would probably work.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

It just shows me the locations of the anomalies I've already researched, not the new ones they've given me

The finished ones will still show up on the map unless you un-track them. Are you just getting confused by the already completed ones and not finding the new ones? I've yet to have any problems with the precursor chain not spawning locations, although I think the last step can get surveyed by another empire if you're not quick about it.

Open border agreements, and war/ the open border time shortly after a truce have been my friends in getting access to the precursor, and other quest sites. IIRC the reward is like 2,000-5,000 research in all categories and like 50-100 influence. Might be min's and credit's too.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

Rad.

Splitting off all the corvettes or what have you to buy time for a fleet to charge up FTL has been really useful. Swamping a system with corvettes might pin down a fleet, but it seems like it'd be a lot of clicking as you can't just set a rally on their fleet.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Beyond colonizing a system and passing it on to a vassal, is there anyway to allow them to colonize crappy planets in my borders?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Split Pea Superman posted:

Beyond colonizing a system and passing it on to a vassal, is there anyway to allow them to colonize crappy planets in my borders?

Become an emperor and take the feudal system civic :v:

Though actually I don't know if that will work inside your borders.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The finished ones will still show up on the map unless you un-track them. Are you just getting confused by the already completed ones and not finding the new ones? I've yet to have any problems with the precursor chain not spawning locations, although I think the last step can get surveyed by another empire if you're not quick about it.

Yeah the latter is the problem, I get the pop-up for a precursor artifact discovered, but the planet doesn't seem to spawn an anomaly or a research project

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also having played 180 years or so for the first time since Leviathans, they've done a good job adding lots of cool chrome to play with and give the game flavor but both war and planet management are still garbage. Also lategame fleets are basically melting my laptop

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Splitting off all the corvettes or what have you to buy time for a fleet to charge up FTL has been really useful. Swamping a system with corvettes might pin down a fleet, but it seems like it'd be a lot of clicking as you can't just set a rally on their fleet.

No, like, okay, picture this. I queue up 1000 corvettes on a system lined up so that they warp in on top of the enemy doomstack who is trying to warp out, which causes the AI to freak out and attack it (whether it's player controlled or computer controlled), which for only a moment bumps them out of FTL jump prep, resetting the countdown. This can theoretically work forever, right? From my earlier grousing about fleet AI, it seems like even players would not be able to stop their huge fleet from wasting an indefinite amount of time gibbing lovely little 1-ship corvette fleets queued up and rallied to that system forever.

It's also really easy to set up in advance since you can see where an enemy fleet is headed if you can see them at all.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Rad.

Yes, this works. I have done this to extend the length of a war I was losing so that I could force a peace that was relatively favorable to me.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

No, like, okay, picture this. I queue up 1000 corvettes on a system lined up so that they warp in on top of the enemy doomstack who is trying to warp out, which causes the AI to freak out and attack it (whether it's player controlled or computer controlled), which for only a moment bumps them out of FTL jump prep, resetting the countdown. This can theoretically work forever, right? From my earlier grousing about fleet AI, it seems like even players would not be able to stop their huge fleet from wasting an indefinite amount of time gibbing lovely little 1-ship corvette fleets queued up and rallied to that system forever.

It's also really easy to set up in advance since you can see where an enemy fleet is headed if you can see them at all.

Getting them to path through the right systems so that they warp in on top of the fleet seems like it'd be the annoying part, but yeah against the AI it'd probably work forever. A human player could probably move their fleet in between ships, or retreat if they stay in combat long enough.

e: could also build a fortress in the system with a jump inhibitor if it's something you ever need to counter.

Split Pea Superman fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 4, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure even a player could get their fleet out. There's that bit after combat where the ships have to realign to whatever before they follow orders usually.

Good to hear it works. Doubt I'll use it, but this federation doomstack is simply stupid, there's nearly a thousand battleships in there, let alone other ships. Even my largest fleet at 1.8 million firepower can't put more than a dent in it before getting overwhelmed. The only reason I'm winning is because I'm running six "small" fleets of 300k each all over their empires with groups of 20-30 xenomorphs attached to each, taking systems quickly and moving on. One empire built a shitload of habitats so that's a quick and easy way to rack up points. It's the first interesting combat I've seen, like when the doomstack shows up my minifleets shed a dozen battleships to delay them enough to escape. Shame there's no "spool up FTL" option in preparation on the way to a jump location.

Edit: AHAHAHAHAHAHA the federation-controlled parts of the feddie doomstack were all currently in control of a one-planet shitlord who's been a thorn in my side literally since day one, they're all that remain of the first empire I encountered. The federation just surrendered to my demands and in doing so, that one-planet empire no longer exists, resulting in the entire federation-based fleet simultaneously exploding. 800,000 firepower up in smoke, just like that!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 4, 2017

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure even a player could get their fleet out. There's that bit after combat where the ships have to realign to whatever before they follow orders usually.

Good to hear it works. Doubt I'll use it, but this federation doomstack is simply stupid, there's nearly a thousand battleships in there, let alone other ships. Even my largest fleet at 1.8 million firepower can't put more than a dent in it before getting overwhelmed. The only reason I'm winning is because I'm running six "small" fleets of 300k each all over their empires with groups of 20-30 xenomorphs attached to each, taking systems quickly and moving on. One empire built a shitload of habitats so that's a quick and easy way to rack up points. It's the first interesting combat I've seen, like when the doomstack shows up my minifleets shed a dozen battleships to delay them enough to escape. Shame there's no "spool up FTL" option in preparation on the way to a jump location.

Edit: AHAHAHAHAHAHA the federation-controlled parts of the feddie doomstack were all currently in control of a one-planet shitlord who's been a thorn in my side literally since day one, they're all that remain of the first empire I encountered. The federation just surrendered to my demands and in doing so, that one-planet empire no longer exists, resulting in the entire federation-based fleet simultaneously exploding. 800,000 firepower up in smoke, just like that!

Managing 6 fleets and their armies seems like a nightmare. How far are you along in the game? Fallen empires are just waking up in my current hard difficulty game, but I've got around 200k firepower spread out in 3 fleets with about 50 battleships and 100 cruisers.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
At around 2600. I conquered all four fallen empires in my game, went synthetic, and everyone hates me. I gobble up any splinter empires like candy and I just raised some savage Snailiens to enlightenment, shame they're spiritualists, we'll have to break them of that unfortunate hinderance.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

I thought non-citizens couldn't join factions? I raised some former slaves to resident aliens because they developed psionic potential and that must mean they have SOME sort of soul (ugly and stunted though it may be), and suddenly I have an egalitarian faction that I will never be able to keep happy in my decidedly non egalitarian celestial empire.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I think residents can support factions, but by a significantly reduced amount.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Are pops locked into the same faction once they're grown, or do they just change to reflect the percentages? Would constantly resettling loyal pop's from the main capitol to border worlds, or at least making every colony ship out of the capitol noticeably affect the governing faction support?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Are pops locked into the same faction once they're grown, or do they just change to reflect the percentages? Would constantly resettling loyal pop's from the main capitol to border worlds, or at least making every colony ship out of the capitol noticeably affect the governing faction support?

A pop's ethics are determined by a number of factors - mostly happiness and distance from the capital - and if you hover over their ethics icon it will show you what they're most attracted to at the moment. There's a random chance either once a year or one a month (I don't remember off hand) that they will switch to that ethic.

edit: Lost my train of thought - a pop will also switch factions to support whatever group most aligns with their ethics, I don't know if it's instantaneous or not but you will see members shift around over time. Not every pop has to be a member of a faction but promoting a faction seems to attract more people to that ethic, and will make more people likely to join a faction. Suppressing one works in the opposite way by making the associated ethics less appealing and making it more likely for a pop to shift to something else and leave the faction.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 4, 2017

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
So my current race of mushroom men underwent robotic ascendancy, so a spiritual FE across the map told me he wasn't happy. Kind of forgot about it but about thirty years later the FE says to me "Outlaw AI or I'm gonna war dec you" but my entire race is robotic at this point. I say "okay" to them, just to see what would happen and the next month they say the same thing "Outlaw AI or I'm gonna war dec you" and I say fine again... It goes on for a year like this until they just decide to declare war anyway. They totally wipe me out, kill my race's president and end the war with the humiliation CB... but then another month passes and I get the same message. Again and again and again...

Game ending bug.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Dorkopotamis posted:

So my current race of mushroom men underwent robotic ascendancy, so a spiritual FE across the map told me he wasn't happy. Kind of forgot about it but about thirty years later the FE says to me "Outlaw AI or I'm gonna war dec you" but my entire race is robotic at this point. I say "okay" to them, just to see what would happen and the next month they say the same thing "Outlaw AI or I'm gonna war dec you" and I say fine again... It goes on for a year like this until they just decide to declare war anyway. They totally wipe me out, kill my race's president and end the war with the humiliation CB... but then another month passes and I get the same message. Again and again and again...

Game ending bug.

Sounds like they want you to outlaw AI.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I guess so. But I don't have that option at this point.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
If the only war goal they have is humiliation, just concede. They can only declare war on you every so often, and you won't lose your fleet.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If the only war goal they have is humiliation, just concede. They can only declare war on you every so often, and you won't lose your fleet.

They'll kill your leader, but that's it.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I just lost 75% percent of my fleet grinding down a Fallen Empire, and now the League of non-aligned Powers decced me.

The veterans of Eurav Wass haven't even had a chance to patch everything up, and now they have to deal with these cowards :bahgawd:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

I just lost 75% percent of my fleet grinding down a Fallen Empire, and now the League of non-aligned Powers decced me.

The veterans of Eurav Wass haven't even had a chance to patch everything up, and now they have to deal with these cowards :bahgawd:

That's Babylon 5 for you.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I can totally see and appreciate the reason they're changing fleet mechanics in terms of fleet size in battle, because the federation threw about 20 60k~ strength fleets at my 300k minifleet 1-2 at a time(the trick for dealing with the Feddie Doomstack is not to let them gather in the first place and place fleets right in their way) and in the end I lost 10 battleships total. Like I understand that I'm functionally and technologically far superior to their fleets, but there should be SOME damage after all that, 10 battleships is nothing.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Let me tell you the story of Fronds of Gold. Even as a sprout they were smart. Once a season had passed and they were in full bloom it was obvious they were the smartest being on the planet. Then they were taken by aliens. The aliens had flying vessels, but even they weren't as smart as FoG. The aliens had FoG help a giant sphere calculate infinity and create a new Universe. They had FoG examine an impossible ceramic teapot floating in the corona of a sun. FoG raised two species to sentience. Eventually. FoG was elected leader of the aliens, and used their power to raise their own species into space. FoG outlived three generations of his adopted people, led them through multiple wars, and ultimately died surrounded by four species who cherished their wisdom and kindness.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Wow I suck at this game

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Relevant Tangent posted:

Let me tell you the story of Fronds of Gold. Even as a sprout they were smart. Once a season had passed and they were in full bloom it was obvious they were the smartest being on the planet. Then they were taken by aliens. The aliens had flying vessels, but even they weren't as smart as FoG. The aliens had FoG help a giant sphere calculate infinity and create a new Universe. They had FoG examine an impossible ceramic teapot floating in the corona of a sun. FoG raised two species to sentience. Eventually. FoG was elected leader of the aliens, and used their power to raise their own species into space. FoG outlived three generations of his adopted people, led them through multiple wars, and ultimately died surrounded by four species who cherished their wisdom and kindness.

Fronds of Gold will be forever remembered with the greatest fondness :unsmith:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Now I want an EU style history of my empire at the end.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Shooting Blanks posted:

Wow I suck at this game

:same:

I do well with the one planet strategy, but other than that I'm garbage for idiots. I end up using console commands a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mister Adequate posted:

Fronds of Gold will be forever remembered with the greatest frondness :unsmith:

• Locked thread