Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Next they'll get Compaq and Packard Bell

Don't tell my you all wouldn't jizz yourselves silly to see the Atari Netscape McLaren livery in 2018.

Dang, now I have myself thinking about how sweet that Atari logo could be used on a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CratSock posted:

Don't tell my you all wouldn't jizz yourselves silly to see the Atari Netscape McLaren livery in 2018.

Dang, now I have myself thinking about how sweet that Atari logo could be used on a car.

If 2018 is the year vaporwave breaks through into the mainstream then I want off this ride.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

vrooom vroooooooom

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

1500quidporsche posted:

If 2018 is the year vaporwave breaks through into the mainstream then I want off this ride.

Would you prefer the Commodore AOL McLaren?

Amiga Maxtor McLaren?

Intellivision SGI McLaren?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OUYA Mclaren

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CratSock posted:

Would you prefer the Commodore AOL McLaren?

Amiga Maxtor McLaren?

Intellivision SGI McLaren?

Zenith Colecovision McLaren

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

TRINITRON McLaren

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Gateway cow print McLaren

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

How about a Zak McKracken McLaren on the podium, for a change?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

DELL MCLRN will also be bad fyi

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Norns posted:

DELL MCLRN will also be bad fyi

Embrace the future.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

mrfart posted:

Embrace the future.

Don't doxx Wicka pls.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

This is from the kart shop rebuilding my engine:

quote:

The main bearing fell out of 1 case half. I can take 2 approaches: use green Loctite to glue into place then center punch to create interference cost =$0 (could get worse and cause rpm issues), or I can put your bearings into good used cases for $150.

lmao

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
So you'll be taking the loctite then

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

DoctorGonzo posted:

OUYA Mclaren

Duke Nukem Forever McLaren

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Gigi Galli posted:

So you'll be taking the loctite then

As tempting as it is to do poo poo that I'm gonna take the high road here and pony up for the case.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bin case

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

And the Corolla's battery is gone lmao.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I'll be doing exactly the loctite and punch job on a main bearing soon, but it's a 1923 engine and there are no good used cases.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

1500quidporsche posted:

And the Corolla's battery is gone lmao.

LIFEHACK: Roll/push start each day

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

You Am I posted:

LIFEHACK: Roll/push start each day

On that note I'd like to personally thank the good engineers at Toyota for installing a clutch safety switch so I can't just park near a slope and bump the starter to get it rolling and instead forcing me to install a battery in the worst snow storm we've had in five years.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Maybe you should buy a newer car

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Maybe you should buy a newer car

This is specifically an issue because I got a newer car.

e: Also let it be known that if I got an even newer car I'd be taking the front bumper off or some other horse poo poo right now to get at the battery.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 9, 2018

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

1500quidporsche posted:

On that note I'd like to personally thank the good engineers at Toyota for installing a clutch safety switch so I can't just park near a slope and bump the starter to get it rolling and instead forcing me to install a battery in the worst snow storm we've had in five years.

MOER LIFEHAXXXXX: Just cut the switch and wire it together so it's on all the time

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

You Am I posted:

MOER LIFEHAXXXXX: Just cut the switch and wire it together so it's on all the time

I've been looking into remote starters and this has crossed my mind.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The halo is dumb.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/147288-dixon-encouraged-after-first-windscreen-test

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/147286-gallery-indycar-s-windscreen

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Scott Dixon posted:

"No show-stoppers," said Dixon after climbing from the car. "It's a little bit different, looking through something that is so thick. I thought it would have messed with distortion a lot more, but there's nothing like that; no problems with reflection.
Obviously we'll run a little bit later to see how it is in a more dusk setting, and then again tonight. But the weirdest thing is just how quiet it is – you don't have any buffeting; the car is very smooth, like you've gone to a really luxurious, dampened car.

...and Ferrari are a poo poo team.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

can you push start Indycars?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

It's loving embarassing that indycar got the shield working when Ferrari couldn't.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Windshield looks so much better, almost gives it a fighterjet look too.

Also lol @ clutch safety switches, I had no idea that these existed until some American goon mentioned them.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

But does it make vettel nauseous?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm going to go ahead as guess that Indy's requirements for that screen are a hell of a lot more lax than the FIA's. They tested a screen but it couldn't cope with a tyre hitting it at 150kph. The halo is a stopgap that works now so they've put it on. If the aeroscreen had passed the same tests I'm sure it'd be preferred. Indy choosing looks over actual safety is nothing to be proud of.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

I'm going to go ahead as guess that Indy's requirements for that screen are a hell of a lot more lax than the FIA's. They tested a screen but it couldn't cope with a tyre hitting it at 150kph. The halo is a stopgap that works now so they've put it on. If the aeroscreen had passed the same tests I'm sure it'd be preferred. Indy choosing looks over actual safety is nothing to be proud of.

Quite the opposite - read up about what IndyCar is trying with this, and what material they’re using (hint: fighter jet canopy). And let’s not forget anything IndyCar would use has to be able to withstand 230 mph on superspeedways.

And the fact that they’re doing more than one lap as a proof of concept also puts more credence to their idea than the Ferrari F1 tests.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Tsaedje posted:

harperdc posted:

Quite the opposite - read up about what IndyCar is trying with this, and what material they’re using (hint: fighter jet canopy). And let’s not forget anything IndyCar would use has to be able to withstand 230 mph on superspeedways.

And the fact that they’re doing more than one lap as a proof of concept also puts more credence to their idea than the Ferrari F1 tests.

The implementation is a lot easier because
a) you're dealing with 2 chassis instead of 10.
b) you're not dealing with whining manbabies like Sebastian Vettel.

Indy has prolly always been a step ahead of F1 (in the period where IndyCar has existed, not comparing AOWR to F1 here) and they're prepared to make sacrifices for safety that F1 has sidestepped; see: SAFER Barriers vs Tilkedromes.

Sooner or later the Aeroscreen or something very much like it is coming to F1. It simply is. In the meantime they're gonna work on the weight, the materials and so on and so forth.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The aeroscreen didn't pass the impact tests required by the FIA, it doesn't matter how many laps they put it through on a track. The only solution that has met those requirements is the halo so it's going on now because it works now. As soon as someone develops a more aesthetically pleasing solution that can actually pass the tests they'll take it gladly.

Aircraft canopy material sounds impressive, but it's just moulded acrylic, it's not some fantastical material the FIA didn't think of.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the halo is such a stupid concept that is going to probably be dropped by 2019.

also ban the anti ferrari posters, tia-

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

DoctorGonzo posted:

Supporting Ferrari is such a stupid concept that is going to probably be dropped by 2019.

also ban the ferrari posters, tia-

Agreed

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

The aeroscreen didn't pass the impact tests required by the FIA, it doesn't matter how many laps they put it through on a track. The only solution that has met those requirements is the halo so it's going on now because it works now. As soon as someone develops a more aesthetically pleasing solution that can actually pass the tests they'll take it gladly.

Aircraft canopy material sounds impressive, but it's just moulded acrylic, it's we not some fantastical material the FIA didn't think of.

There is also the chance that the FIA's impact tests were dumb. They keep bragging about the halo being able to support the weight of a bus, but why? All it needs to do is be strong enough to deflect a tire away one time, and since this material can take a bird strike head on at 500mph and just shrug it off, I kinda think it can deal with a tire.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

wicka posted:

There is also the chance that the FIA's impact tests were dumb. They keep bragging about the halo being able to support the weight of a bus, but why? All it needs to do is be strong enough to deflect a tire away one time, and since this material can take a bird strike head on at 500mph and just shrug it off, I kinda think it can deal with a tire.

There is a chance that the FIA test is too rigorous, I'll give you that. Nevertheless the halo passes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

the halo is such a stupid concept that is going to probably be dropped by 2019.

also ban the anti ferrari posters, tia-

The halo is bad.

We have the halo because of Ferrari and Vettel.

Ferrari and Vettel are bad.

• Locked thread